Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shut tha gently caress up about inglorious basterds and nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like in Pulp Fiction where Butch runs into Marcellus, and the music goes "Iiit's good to see you, I must go, I know I took a fright"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

The exact places it challenges the current sitcom establishment.

Edit: It's a great episode, definitely in my top 20. But what exactly is it trying to say? It parodies itself, it parodies what would ever be acceptable on weekly network TV. It parodies the sancitity of funeral, and bad stand-up comedy.

It is amazing, but I'm still like, "what are you trying to say, exactly, also thanks for being hella funny."

Edit: This is season 4, episode 7 (Free Churro), it's on Netflix. People go watch it, it's weird and funny.

Maybe this will help.

https://youtu.be/LaMsrUKAqHE

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

In Finding Nemo when Marlon brings Nemo to his first day of fish school the other parents make mention of him living in an anemone, and Marlon replies off the cuff, "Shocking, I know".

Only took me 500 involuntary/forced viewings to catch that.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
His name is Marlin. Y'know, like the fish (and now, I realize, a pun on the name Marlon).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A dory is also a type of fish

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

My Lovely Horse posted:

I love seeing Americans talk about how Tarantino paints the Nazis in the traditionally heroic way, cause for obvious reasons, in Germany there's no such tradition of portraying the clean-cut soldiers and brave lieutenants protecting their men as the heroes so to us they're just all Nazis. It's always a bit revealing about you guys' media and military movie culture.

That's very interesting to me. When my grandma was a kid, her family was forced to billet German soldiers as well as a Luftwaffe captain. That dude even had the Hitler mustache. I've seen the pictures. This was in Croatia. She was ethnic German (Donauschwaben) and didn't understand WWII at all. She never understood it even until her death last year. All she knew about German soldiers in WWII was that they were nice boys that stayed at her house when she was 12 years old.

I've never had beef with the standard German infantryman. They were just fighting for their country. It's the SS and the NAZI party members that matter. Heck, my grandfather was conscripted into the Arbeits Corp in Serbia when he was 16. He fled the country when the war was at the end and he was going to be shipped to the eastern front. He ended up in Austria in Lager Heid Ansfelden and then they moved to the state after my father was born.

It's complicated in America. We often have family members that fought on both sides but had to learn to get along at the end of it. The war is over, it's all cool now. A normal Wehrmacht soldier was just doing their job. They were just as cold, just as hungry, just a scared as the next guy. They get a pass.

Nazi's and SS sucked though. They will always suck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mostlygray posted:

That's very interesting to me. When my grandma was a kid, her family was forced to billet German soldiers as well as a Luftwaffe captain. That dude even had the Hitler mustache. I've seen the pictures. This was in Croatia. She was ethnic German (Donauschwaben) and didn't understand WWII at all. She never understood it even until her death last year. All she knew about German soldiers in WWII was that they were nice boys that stayed at her house when she was 12 years old.

I've never had beef with the standard German infantryman. They were just fighting for their country. It's the SS and the NAZI party members that matter. Heck, my grandfather was conscripted into the Arbeits Corp in Serbia when he was 16. He fled the country when the war was at the end and he was going to be shipped to the eastern front. He ended up in Austria in Lager Heid Ansfelden and then they moved to the state after my father was born.

It's complicated in America. We often have family members that fought on both sides but had to learn to get along at the end of it. The war is over, it's all cool now. A normal Wehrmacht soldier was just doing their job. They were just as cold, just as hungry, just a scared as the next guy. They get a pass.

https://i.imgur.com/X3IWMML.gifv

What are your thoughts on Confederate soldiers, OP

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mostlygray posted:

lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mostlygray posted:

thinking about the nazi grandma who pretended not to understand ww2 all the way up to her death

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Every Nazi deserves death.
No Confederate deserves sympathy.

There isn't anything more complicated to be said.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

DandyLion posted:

In Finding Nemo when Marlon brings Nemo to his first day of fish school the other parents make mention of him living in an anemone, and Marlon replies off the cuff, "Shocking, I know".

Only took me 500 involuntary/forced viewings to catch that.

Idgi

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Avengers: Infinity War no one cut off Thanos' hand because his species is similar to starfish and he would've grown a whole second Thanos.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

mostlygray posted:

Clean Wehrmacht myth ahead, captain!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MariusLecter posted:

In Avengers: Infinity War no one cut off Thanos' hand because his species is similar to starfish and he would've grown a whole second Thanos.

Joking aside, they show Strange cutting off the brute's arm with a portal an hour earlier. It seems weird that he wouldn't have tried it.

Tony or Peter could have called it out since they saw it happen.
You'd have Thanos stranded on Titan while the gauntlet could be dropped in the Sanctum.

But that would be too easy.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

MariusLecter posted:

Since when?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

They probably watched it that many times for much the same reason I've seen the nightmare before christmas twenty times in the last two weeks.

Also the whole "being stung/shocked by the thing".

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

mostlygray posted:

no

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

when my grandma was slowly slipping into the clutches of sweet death, she told me once how the War was like for her, in occupied Norway. Not too bad, it turns out, lots of handsome soldiers flush with cigarettes, candy and nylon stockings. :stare:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Das Boot was a good movie with a sad ending.

Downfall was a good movie with a happy ending.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MariusLecter posted:

I've started just thinking it was the Power Stone that made it impossible to cut his arm off. It's easier than focusing on the weird plot situation that creates.

I know, I'm serious replying to a joke post.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Anemone have stinging or "shocking" tentacles that clown fish are immune to so they hide/live in them. Other fish aren't immune. That marlin/nemo live in one is shocking to the other fish. It's a pun.

https://asknature.org/strategy/intricate-relationship-allows-the-other-to-flourish/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mostlygray posted:

well i think we can formally and finally wrap the nazi derail up with my boy's granny being out sick from school for about 80 years

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

A Goofy Movie is named after the main character, but also serves as a good descriptor of the contents of the film.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Warbird posted:

A Goofy Movie is named after the main character, but also serves as a good descriptor of the contents of the film.

I found it distasteful how they portrayed goofy in such a heroic light

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Inzombiac posted:

Joking aside, they show Strange cutting off the brute's arm with a portal an hour earlier. It seems weird that he wouldn't have tried it.

Tony or Peter could have called it out since they saw it happen.
You'd have Thanos stranded on Titan while the gauntlet could be dropped in the Sanctum.

But that would be too easy.

Wong cut the arm off, not Strange.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Half the universe would have been saved if only Wong was there.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It would have also made for an interesting conundrum with two Thanos and one gauntlet.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Or even better, two Wongs. Wong again, they'd cry!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2 Wongs set things right.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Davros1 posted:

Wong cut the arm off, not Strange.

There I go erasing a good Asian character, much like the movie Doctor Strange!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I opened up the Wakandan force field on purpose ama

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

It would have also made for an interesting conundrum with two Thanos and one gauntlet.

One dies, one lives. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tunicate posted:

One dies, one lives. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

That makes me think, it actually kinda would have ruled if Thanos snapped his finger, the gauntlet splintered and gems burst and he dissolved, a faint smile on his face. Like okay if he took his little portal to his rice farm or whatever at least you could hypothetically go find him and beat him up. He dies and the gauntlet self destructs? That's it dude.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Krispy Wafer posted:

Das Boot was a good movie with a sad ending.

Downfall was a good movie with a happy ending.

The Great Escape and Bridge on the River Kwai are the same movie made from American and British perspectives, respectively.

In the American movie only two people survive the prison camp and it's treated like a happy ending. In the British one all but two get out alive and well and it's a tragedy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

That makes me think, it actually kinda would have ruled if Thanos snapped his finger, the gauntlet splintered and gems burst and he dissolved, a faint smile on his face. Like okay if he took his little portal to his rice farm or whatever at least you could hypothetically go find him and beat him up. He dies and the gauntlet self destructs? That's it dude.

Haven't seen it since this summer but doesn't he breathe a little sigh of relief or some shot, like he was totally expecting to get blinked out of existence?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Phy posted:

Haven't seen it since this summer but doesn't he breathe a little sigh of relief or some shot, like he was totally expecting to get blinked out of existence?

I think he sighs once he's on his little farm because like it all worked? I just think it would be really funny if he got Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings-ed because 1) whoops and 2) these movies are entirely built around punching your problems and you can't do that if your problem turns into a little ash cloud.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Russos said their intent was that Thanos had no idea if he'd survive it or not. He didn't choose to guarantee he gets spared.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thanos was definitely okay with dying if his plan worked. Since he basically retires once it does and becomes a farmer and all.

The Django discussion about Schultz and Django oddly enough reminded me of a Daria episode, where Daria and black honour student Jodie pair up for a project that involves trying to get a loan from a bank (not actually going through with it of course) and Jodie ends up leaning on her father's reputation to succeed. Daria's pissed for a while because she sees that as compromising her integrity and they get in a fight over it, but Daria's mom reminds her that she holds everyone up to very high standards that she herself can't always meet, and Jodie's got a point in being pragmatic. Does make me wonder if there's a theme about black people being used to compromising and taking the simple solution to get through daily life while white people are taught that they should make a stand about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde