Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Gonna get the 16 core and disable hyperthreading / the AMD equivalent :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Icept posted:

Gonna get the 16 core and disable hyperthreading / the AMD equivalent :getin:

Please forgive the dumb question I am about to ask: Why would you want to disable hyper threading? I was under the impression (and casual google searching gives the same) that the computer just uses it when it can (video editing, etc.) and ignores it otherwise (gaming?) with no downside? Sounds like there is a downside though, since you want to disable it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Broose posted:

Please forgive the dumb question I am about to ask: Why would you want to disable hyper threading? I was under the impression (and casual google searching gives the same) that the computer just uses it when it can (video editing, etc.) and ignores it otherwise (gaming?) with no downside? Sounds like there is a downside though, since you want to disable it.

The recent security vulnerabilities found in CPUs owe their existence in part to hyperthreading. Disabling it by default is currently the accepted and recommended way forward. Intel even in their latest line up only offer hyperthreading to their very high end CPU.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Volguus posted:

The recent security vulnerabilities found in CPUs owe their existence in part to hyperthreading. Disabling it by default is currently the accepted and recommended way forward. Intel even in their latest line up only offer hyperthreading to their very high end CPU.

Hope you run ECC RAM, cause rowhammer is *way* imore practical than the non-Spectre SMT exploits.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Broose posted:

Above posts answered this from a security perspective but the point is to disable working threads on a what is presumably a higher speed-binned chip for less power consumption and less heat which could possibly mean higher and more sustainable overclocking behavior.

Cutting 32 threads back down to 16 is apparently okay if you don't do a lot of work that requires a lot of parallelism but is definitely one of those things that makes more sense on paper than in practice and also some posters on Serious Hardware/Software threads will roll their eyes at you for not getting the most value out of the features you splurge for.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Volguus posted:

Can't Microsoft and Linux coders put out patches that mitigate those vulnerabilities?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

spasticColon posted:

Can't Microsoft and Linux coders put out patches that mitigate those vulnerabilities?

They did and NVMe SSD throughput took a HUUUGE poo poo, because of the extra steps needed to switch contexts to system for a driver level disk read then back to userland for a program disk contents read.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And Microsoft and kernel.org handled the system level and their end of userland but software developers still have to patch their software to avoid some of the worst variants.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The SMT/HT vulns on bare-metal installs can be defeated by modifications to the resource scheduler. For security-sensitive threads/processes, reserve or block the logical virtual thread so you can't do any funny business along side it. Would suck on a 2 core system but with core counts of 8+ becoming common it shouldn't hurt too much these days. Might be possible to signal that all the way up to a hypervisor. Meltdown suuuuuuck for anything doing high iops, you're generally going to need to build a trusted platform/cluster/whatever and disable mitigations for that until new generations of silicon properly do (beyond the current "we pre-loaded the microcode for you" poo poo)

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
drat, that sucks. So I guess it's either have fewer threads and therefore less throughput by disabling SMT or have your poo poo in the wind.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

spasticColon posted:

drat, that sucks. So I guess it's either have fewer threads and therefore less throughput by disabling SMT or have your poo poo in the wind.

You need to be running threads with sensitive data that you don't want to leak for it to really matter. Like maybe you could drop a payload on a workstation and recover the account hash from ram or get the FDE key or something but the return on attacking a workstation is pretty low unless you're the president or CEO holding corporate secrets. These vulns are a much bigger issue for servers, maaaaybe business systems. I suspect the mitigations aren't going to be worth enabling for a home user, far easier ways to crack that nut and there's little payoff. Especially true now that NVMes are becoming common.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Your poo poo is in the wind no matter what, companies like Equifax and others made sure of that. I'd say, don't worry about it and just enjoy the ride. Gonna be a bumpy one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Worrying about these types of exploits as a standard home user is silly. This is the type of stuff you worry about on a workstation or server.

The amount of effort to do this, there's easier ways to steal $5,000 from your bank account. It's likely the easiest way to steal corporate secrets or gain access to the millions on their account which you can slowly skim without being noticed.

These are not trivial exploits, anyone undertaking them is going to do the mental math and realize phishing just works better and is cheaper.

For anything to even be obtainable you'd need to have that info still in RAM someplace, so unless you just did your banking or something else what are they going to gain? Your WoW password? That you played 10,000 hours of Skyrim and that you named a character Lowtax?

It's not like they gain admin they can just read sensitive info from RAM, and actually thinking about it it might even just be L1-L3 cache which limits it even more.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 3, 2019

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Anybody have any insight as to why AMD's stock took a 10% poo poo today? Or maybe it's more like 9% right now. Whatever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
How good are you at deciphering stockmarketese?

This was the only thing I could find. https://www.nasdaq.com/article/interesting-amd-put-and-call-options-for-march-15th-cm1077057

Other assumptions might be cashing out on short-term gains ahead of CES.

Also, a HEXUS article on fixing Windows's performance regression on AMD. https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/125819-amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-perf-boosted-2x-coreprio-tool/

edit: Oh hey, AMD got added to the NASDAQ 100! That said, Intel and Nvidia are also both down 5% at time of post, so, probably something wider-spread.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 3, 2019

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They did and NVMe SSD throughput took a HUUUGE poo poo, because of the extra steps needed to switch contexts to system for a driver level disk read then back to userland for a program disk contents read.
I thought this was more for the Intel fixes since the AMD chips were inherently much less susceptible to these sorts of attacks in general and so the fixes have a much more minor impact (1-3%) on performance?

edit: Zen2 is also supposed to have the fixes implemented in hardware which should help largely eliminate any performance hits too I'd think.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 3, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sneeze Party posted:

Anybody have any insight as to why AMD's stock took a 10% poo poo today? Or maybe it's more like 9% right now. Whatever.

The market overall took a poo poo, investors aren't reading tech news and see AMD as speculative. With CES around the corner if you think AMD is going to go up it's probably a good time to buy some or buy more.

It's basically down to politics and uncertainty due to Government shutdown. It's not a classic pick, it's something people are going to drop because their portfolio took a massive dump the last few weeks. People will instead stick to safer things like food and oil. People are less likely to drop a tech stock like Intel MS of Facebook because they have been doing good for decades and have a solid track record.

I personally think AMD is on to something and Intel is scared and has nothing but that's all my personal feelings based on Zen+ and my gut. Do your research before you invest but the current drop in AMD is not related to AMD failing at anything, at least not that I can find.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Other assumptions might be cashing out on short-term gains ahead of CES.

What short term gains? It's at the lowest price it's been in about 5 months barely ahead of the 6 month mark. It was at $30+ for almost half that time. It is an odd sell time to realize a loss though considering the year just started but if you only bought AMD because you saw it go from $15 to $30 and it's back at $15 and you bough at $30, you are probably fed up with it.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 3, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Apple revized their projections down citing a contracting Chinese market, and it's not something that's restricted to Apple, so there's some market panic about what that means.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pixaal posted:

The market overall took a poo poo, investors aren't reading tech news and see AMD as speculative. With CES around the corner if you think AMD is going to go up it's probably a good time to buy some or buy more.

It's basically down to politics and uncertainty due to Government shutdown. It's not a classic pick, it's something people are going to drop because their portfolio took a massive dump the last few weeks. People will instead stick to safer things like food and oil. People are less likely to drop a tech stock like Intel MS of Facebook because they have been doing good for decades and have a solid track record.

I personally think AMD is on to something and Intel is scared and has nothing but that's all my personal feelings based on Zen+ and my gut. Do your research before you invest but the current drop in AMD is not related to AMD failing at anything, at least not that I can find.

What short term gains? It's at the lowest price it's been in about 5 months barely ahead of the 6 month mark. It was at $30+ for almost half that time. It is an odd sell time to realize a loss though considering the year just started but if you only bought AMD because you saw it go from $15 to $30 and it's back at $15 and you bough at $30, you are probably fed up with it.

If I divorce everything I know about AMD's future outlook from how the market has performed over the past five days?

I see it jump a few bucks like that, sure, I'll get what I can and bail.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I thought this was more for the Intel fixes since the AMD chips were inherently much less susceptible to these sorts of attacks in general and so the fixes have a much more minor impact (1-3%) on performance?

edit: Zen2 is also supposed to have the fixes implemented in hardware which should help largely eliminate any performance hits too I'd think.

Microsoft turned the meltdown mitigations on for all non-server OS's by default. You can turn it off with some reg keys but its there and platform agnostic.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Didn't know that, thanks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ufarn posted:

Apple revized their projections down citing a contracting Chinese market, and it's not something that's restricted to Apple, so there's some market panic about what that means.

Yeah, and AMD is very very intertwined in the China stuff with the Dhyana. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s worrying folks. Also the generic disclaimer that the stock price is only tangentially related to anything happening with a company.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Also, and this is one of those "forest for the trees" moments, yo, every major index is down by at least 1.5%, the Dow by 600 points, and the NASDAQ down by 3%.

Not out of the question for AMD's stock to be eating poo poo atm.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Before this, there was also a general tech stock panic for reasons I don't know. Nvidia losing like 50% and Facebook stepping on one million rakes probably didn't shore up confidence.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

ufarn posted:

Before this, there was also a general tech stock panic for reasons I don't know. Nvidia losing like 50% and Facebook stepping on one million rakes probably didn't shore up confidence.
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/13/657172112/facebook-says-14-million-accounts-had-broad-array-of-personal-data-stolen

You're short on the number of rakes by an order of magnitude and then some.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Also remember that facebook does sometime request people's birth certificate

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I like that "checkpoint" is part of the URL.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
people putting their real names on the internet voluntarily will never not be funny to me

ufarn posted:

we're probably going to see dotcom 2.0 this year, except this time it's also happening at the same time as 2007 2.0 and tariff man. it's gonna be a wild ride.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've reminded a sourpuss about the AMD rumors, so I'll just say I'll believe it when I see it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sneeze Party posted:

:chaostrump:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA/status/1081174660136353792

Big if true. 12C AM4

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
That's interesting, H2 stepping matches up exactly with the list I posted on the previous page, making that data more and more likely to be real.
My god, AMD might have actually done it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol it's Epyc processors with one completely hosed numa domain

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Arzachel posted:

Hope you run ECC RAM, cause rowhammer is *way* imore practical than the non-Spectre SMT exploits.
Yeah, I don't get the drama home users create about these exploits.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's like "does my ext4/5 need ECC, because btrfs doesn't need ECC" questions all over again.

Bitch, if the use of ECC were important to you, you would be using it REGARDLESS of whatever file system you eventually arrive at.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol it's Epyc processors with one completely hosed numa domain
Waste no part of the 7nm chiplet buffalo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Waste no part of the 7nm chiplet buffalo

I unironically love it and wish nothing but the best for AMD with this architecture moving forward

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I don't get the drama home users create about these exploits.

Home users have to be very worried about concept level exploits.

*Downloads and installs dozens of Skyrim mods*

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Whatever it takes to keep pushing technological advancement forward. The past ten years of Intel sitting on its rear end with 5-10% more IPC and lies about "oh, we can't do more than 4 cores with HT in a mainstream desktop socket" are not ones that I want to revisit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Windows also needs to fix their core assignment. Wendell @ L1T, Ian at Anandtech, and the writer of Process Lasso seem to have nailed down that the performance regressions that the 2nd gen Ryzen exhibits down to a kernel bug.

https://level1techs.com/article/unlocking-2990wx-less-numa-aware-apps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2LOMTpCtLA

I just tried their CorePrio program on my 1950X and was running Indigo myself. Without CorePrio and without /affinity, I was getting 1.6 on Indigo. With just /affinity 0xFFFFFFFE I was getting 1.73 in Indigo(Launching Indigo with Core 0 affinity off). With CorePrio and no /affinity, I shot up to 2.2 in Indigo with my 1950x OC'd to 3.9GHz. So not the same 50% increase in performance he was, but I did see a ~37% increase in performance in just Indigo.

I wonder if this would solve my OBS encoder issues I've been having where I'll drop 1% of my frames when trying to render a 1080p image to 720p output.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 4, 2019