Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
For anyone who is like me and was like "I don't know about the Fire 10, I want a really pretty screen, so I'm gonna save for a better tablet."

You should just get the Fire 10, especially at $99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The displays on the Fire 8 and Fire 10 are fine. They won’t dazzle you like an iPad Pro, but they’re perfectly acceptable for a budget tablet.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do people have opinions on the Surface Pro 6 vs. Ipad Pro 2018. I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread before, but I didn't see any recent conversation in a glance-through.

I'm mainly interested in using a potential new tablet to read books, browse the internet, and take notes in Evernote on said books while I'm reading. Currently I use an Ipad Mini 2 for all those things. The idea of being able to scribble my notes with a digital pen and have it transformed into text is appealing if that's possible.

Price isn't an issue

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 21, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That doesn't actually get discussed too much, since the Surface is a full Windows computer while the iPad Pro is a tablet running iOS, which is comparatively limited in a lot of ways. I think iOS has better ebook apps than Windows, but I'm not sure since I've never looked into the latter. In any case, even though you say price isn't an issue, I don't really think you need either as a 2018 iPad will do everything you're asking for a third of the price (and even has Pencil support!).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Endless Mike posted:

That doesn't actually get discussed too much, since the Surface is a full Windows computer while the iPad Pro is a tablet running iOS, which is comparatively limited in a lot of ways. I think iOS has better ebook apps than Windows, but I'm not sure since I've never looked into the latter. In any case, even though you say price isn't an issue, I don't really think you need either as a 2018 iPad will do everything you're asking for a third of the price (and even has Pencil support!).

Thanks. Can the Surface Pro run steam/games then? Does it have a downside as a tablet compared to the ipad?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yep, it'll run Steam and any games it has adequate specs for. As far as downsides, Windows 10 is a desktop OS with a tablet layer grafted on, so things can be weird at times, from what I've seen, but people do seem to like them. I don't know if either has the handwriting translation you're looking for. Probably the biggest downside is that the Windows Store doesn't have as many apps, and they're generally not as good as iOS ones, but that's mostly mitigated by being able to use desktop apps.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Megasabin posted:

Do people have opinions on the Surface Pro 6 vs. Ipad Pro 2018. I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread before, but I didn't see any recent conversation in a glance-through.

I'm mainly interested in using a potential new tablet to read books, browse the internet, and take notes in Evernote on said books while I'm reading. Currently I use an Ipad Mini 2 for all those things. The idea of being able to scribble my notes with a digital pen and have it transformed into text is appealing if that's possible.

Price isn't an issue

If you just need a tablet to do tablet things then the iPad is still the king( battery life, apps, ease of use) but if you want a laptop replacement that can be used as a decent tablet then the surface is great. I've used both a lot and I love the iPad, but I always need to pair it with a laptop, whereas the Surface does all I need by itself.

Fyi, You can use Microsoft edge as a pretty good epub reader on theSurface but if you want to use kindle you have to use the desktop app which is usable but not as good as the iOS / Android apps.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I had Steam installed on my SP3 and you have the standard limitation of being only able to really play games that can run on Intel graphics, but there's an additional caveat that older games which would run better on the low spec hardware will have no idea what to do with the native resolution/aspect ratio. YMMV.

It's okay if you just want to be able to kill time and can stick to a handful of games that you find runs well but don't buy it with gaming as a primary use case.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I'm looking for a tablet with the best possible black levels. I'd be using it to read Kindle content late at night in dark mode (my phone has been serving this purpose for years, but I'd like something bigger). I think I should be looking for tablets with OLED screens?

I also would be using it for Netflix/Plex streaming. I'm thinking about the Galaxy Tab S4, but I'm open to other alternatives.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OLED will certainly offer the darkest black levels, which pretty much limits you to Samsung, as far as I'm aware.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

space marine todd posted:

I'm looking for a tablet with the best possible black levels. I'd be using it to read Kindle content late at night in dark mode (my phone has been serving this purpose for years, but I'd like something bigger). I think I should be looking for tablets with OLED screens?

I also would be using it for Netflix/Plex streaming. I'm thinking about the Galaxy Tab S4, but I'm open to other alternatives.

Do you want low black levels for strong contrast, or the ability to turn the brightness down as low as possible? If you're trying to reduce eyestrain while you read in bed, I'm guessing you want not just dark blacks, but fairly dark, low-intensity whites, too.

The main benefit of OLED is that you can have a very dark black alongside very bright whites and colors. Even cheap LCD displays will have a dark black when you turn the backlight down to minimum.

If you want the lowest possible overall brightness, to read in bed, you should be able to do it by lowering the white point of the display - basically, putting a grey overlay on the screen and tweaking the gamma. iOS devices can handle this at the OS level in the accessibility settings; there are a bunch of Android apps that do the same job with screen overlays. Red Moon is free and does a decent job.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Space Gopher posted:

Do you want low black levels for strong contrast, or the ability to turn the brightness down as low as possible? If you're trying to reduce eyestrain while you read in bed, I'm guessing you want not just dark blacks, but fairly dark, low-intensity whites, too.

The main benefit of OLED is that you can have a very dark black alongside very bright whites and colors. Even cheap LCD displays will have a dark black when you turn the backlight down to minimum.

If you want the lowest possible overall brightness, to read in bed, you should be able to do it by lowering the white point of the display - basically, putting a grey overlay on the screen and tweaking the gamma. iOS devices can handle this at the OS level in the accessibility settings; there are a bunch of Android apps that do the same job with screen overlays. Red Moon is free and does a decent job.

That's a great point! Thanks for the recommendation and insights.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Looking at buying my wife a tablet. She basically just wants a bigger version of her phone so she can browse/pinterest/instagram/read books without constantly draining her phone's battery. I found a Samsung Galaxy Tab A on BestBuy for $160 for today's sales. It has pretty good reviews--anything I should know or reconsider before snagging this for her?

[edit] I bought it.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 23, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So will the fire 10 tablet be region locked or some such? I live in Sweden and can only order from abroad.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is the fire HD 10 still the goto budget tablet if my main uses are plex, the forums, web browsing, etc? Any reason to do the 64 gb model over the 32gb one if I plan on slapping a big sd card in it?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Hard to beat for the price and those used which are almost the same as mine (replace Plex with Comixology/Kindle). Writing this on my fire now, in fact.

I'm using the 32gb model with a 128gb card. Not sure what the advantage is with going with base 64 gb. Apparently some shifty apps won't use the card, but I've not encountered them yet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They're great tablets, but the Fire launcher thing is annoying. It made me want a regular Android tablet.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

jokes posted:

They're great tablets, but the Fire launcher thing is annoying. It made me want a regular Android tablet.

You can get nova launcher working pretty easily with a minimal amount of jank.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
also realize Fire 10 is stuck on Lollipop and might never get updated past that, so app support isn't great - we just talked about it in the Android Tablet thread recently

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CascadeBeta posted:

You can get nova launcher working pretty easily with a minimal amount of jank.

Minimal, but still apparent and it's very annoying when I used it.

Otherwise, great device.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

jokes posted:

Minimal, but still apparent and it's very annoying when I used it.

Otherwise, great device.

There is a no-jank way of using nova launcher:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/successfully-changed-launcher-to-nova-t3744067

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Without that little flicker then yeah I'd be way, way more into the Fire tablet(s).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

jokes posted:

Without that little flicker then yeah I'd be way, way more into the Fire tablet(s).

Yea doing it way way I posted above truly replaces the launcher, so you dont have any stutter.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
After 5 years of daily use my nexus 7 has finally kicked the bucket. I'm looking for a bigger screen and stuff for my next tablet and the fact that the surface pro seems to be a fully featured windows 10 machine is appealing to me. As an aside, is it possible to do all the regular stuff you can do with a pc with an intel processor, like boot into a portable linux etc? It looks to only have one USB port, but if I were to connect a hub, would it allow, for example, a portable HDD to be connected?

Finally, if I do decide to go for it, is this model the best bet? https://amzn.to/2ACCH8M

Any advice would be appreciated, I haven't had to think about tablets in years.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
My wife loves her surface pro but she’s never tried to install Linux to it so I can’t comment on that part. If there is a Microsoft store anywhere near you I’d recommend checking it out in person.

e: Google says yes you can install Linux on it.

nelson fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 10, 2019

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Rookoo posted:

After 5 years of daily use my nexus 7 has finally kicked the bucket. I'm looking for a bigger screen and stuff for my next tablet and the fact that the surface pro seems to be a fully featured windows 10 machine is appealing to me. As an aside, is it possible to do all the regular stuff you can do with a pc with an intel processor, like boot into a portable linux etc? It looks to only have one USB port, but if I were to connect a hub, would it allow, for example, a portable HDD to be connected?

Finally, if I do decide to go for it, is this model the best bet? https://amzn.to/2ACCH8M

Any advice would be appreciated, I haven't had to think about tablets in years.

The Surface Pro is a normal Windows laptop in a tablet form factor. It can do anything any other x64 Windows laptop can do.

On the other hand, it's kind of clunky if you just want to do simple tablet stuff like watch netflix in bed or have an instant-on web browser on your coffee table. If that's what you want, either get a Fire tablet (choose one between "locked into Amazon's stuff" or "janky experience", but they're dirt cheap), an iPad, or a Chromebook. There are no good new Android/Play Store tablets at this point; Google has abandoned them in favor of ChromeOS. The Pixel Slate and ChromeOS tablets in general might turn out OK, but right now they're kind of half-baked.

Oh, and don't dual-boot Linux. It's 2019. Consumer virtualization has been a thing for about 20 years, and laptop driver support is still trash unless you buy one of Dell's Linux-from-the-start models. Hyper-V, VMWare, and VirtualBox are all free for personal use. WSL lets you run Linux binaries on top of the Windows kernel. Dual-booting is obsolete.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Having used one for a little bit, the Surface Pro really seemed like the worst of both worlds to me. Windows 10 is not a good tablet OS, and its form factor means it's not a great laptop. I dunno. Try it out if you want, but if you just want a tablet to do tablet things or a laptop to do laptop things, I'd look elsewhere.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The form factor part is subjective. My wife likes it because it’s a full windows computer that does everything she wants and it’s easy to take places. Her friend also likes it better than her own laptop because of the form factor. They’re both mothers of diaper age children and have other stuff to carry so a full size laptop would be really inconvenient.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess. I found it hard to use on my lap because typing on a screen is not really ideal, and using the keyboard means using the kickstand which was awkward to balance properly. But sure, I'll agree it's subjective, though I'm not sure I see how it's any less awkward to carry around than like a 13" ultrabook or something.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Hm, yeah, thinking about it a thin, small, moderately powerful laptop might do the trick instead. I don’t know if the term netbook is obsolete but i’ll head to sh/sc to see if there’s something that fits the bill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there any real difference in a Chrome OS tablet and a Chromebooks actual operating system?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope. In fact, LastInLine wrote a long post about how Chrome tablets suck because they expect a right click that's not there.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Endless Mike posted:

Nope. In fact, LastInLine wrote a long post about how Chrome tablets suck because they expect a right click that's not there.

How the hell is this not a "press and hold" motion

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Moey posted:

How the hell is this not a "press and hold" motion
My mistake, it was text selection. I'll let him speak for himself:

LastInLine posted:

Figured I'd give an update since I just got this in the beta channel on Tab 10 and this will be the launch software for the Pixelbook tablet when it comes out.

It does make some some substantial changes to the tablet UI. An autohiding shelf is now the default, the app close UI is different in that you can't pull down from the top to get close/minimize buttons (it instead triggers the app switcher), and the app drawer is now pretty much an iPad interface.

The problems though with ChromeOS as a tablet only OS remain. The stylus still can't do text selection. It still routinely loses both your rotation lock and brightness selectons (the Tab 10 can't do autobrightness which is really annoying).

But the worst thing, far and away, is the the virtual keyboard just doesn't work. The Android subsystem, at least in beta 70, is still 7.1.1 so you can't load gBoard (or any other keyboard). The only keyboard you do have is difficult to imagine if you've never used it. It won't capitalize the first word of any sentence or the letter "i". It inserts random spaces if you ever move the cursor (but doesn't unless you do this) so sometimes you'll get two spaces between words or spaces within words. Autocorrection is spotty at best and sometimes just absent. It also won't let you select a past word and get suggestions to change it so you have to manually backspace out a missed word and retype it. I tried typing this post on that keyboard but only got two sentences in before I had to give up and use a different device, it simply doesn't work at all.

Oh yeah, depending on the app the keyboard might just cover the text area you're entering into. Some apps, like the ChromeOS Hangouts app, will move entire window up so that half of it is out of frame to make room for the keyboard but it means the bottom is visible to see what you're entering. Some, like the Chrome Hangouts extension, won't move at all and keyboard will cover the bottom half of the app making text entry a blind process. Android apps behave like you'd expect where when the keyboard is invoked the app shrinks by half to accommodate it leaving both the top bar and bottom text entry field visible but the text size is scaled for a phone so everything is teeny-tiny. As with everything on ChromeOS as a tablet, everything is a compromise; nothing will ever "just work".

Lastly I should mention that ChromeOS 70 beta on my Tab 10 has been extremely unstable. It's crashed the whole OS twice in ten minutes doing nothing special. It has just gone blank and rebooted. That could just be the Tab 10 though.

All in all if this is the tablet experience you get with a ChromeOS tablet it's really hard to recommend anyone spend earth dollars for one. They're definitely working on it, changes have been coming often as new versions roll out, but there's so much lacking polish and experience breaking bugs that there's just no good reason to buy one unless you just want to torture yourself.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Rookoo posted:

After 5 years of daily use my nexus 7 has finally kicked the bucket.

I recently replaced my Nexus 7 with a Xiaomi Mi Pad 4, which is roughly the same size and feels much faster. You can install the play store on it with without too much has.

I do miss the rubbery grip of the Nexus 7 though, as this feels thinner and much more slippery.

Ophidia
Oct 20, 2012
I'm looking for a cheap android tablet for my mother. Doesn't have to be high-end or anything, around 200€ would be ideal. Do you have any recommendations?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ophidia posted:

I'm looking for a cheap android tablet for my mother. Doesn't have to be high-end or anything, around 200€ would be ideal. Do you have any recommendations?
What functionality are you looking for?

I bought both of my parents Kindle Fire HD 10s. It's perfect for video streaming, solitaire-style games, and reading books/magazines.

Ophidia
Oct 20, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

What functionality are you looking for?

I bought both of my parents Kindle Fire HD 10s. It's perfect for video streaming, solitaire-style games, and reading books/magazines.

It should be able to install all google playstore apps, thats why I dont trust the kinde fire tablets. I remember they have their own appstore and she uses some specific apps for smart home controls etc.
Is there anything else you can recommend ?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ophidia posted:

It should be able to install all google playstore apps, thats why I dont trust the kinde fire tablets. I remember they have their own appstore and she uses some specific apps for smart home controls etc.

Sideload the Google Play store on a Kindle Fire. I'd never done it before, it took about fifteen minutes, including googling how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Ophidia posted:

if she uses samsung smartthings, beware (see: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlefire/comments/8uy1g2/force_change_default_browser_from_silk_to_chrome/).

this issue kept me from simply loading ST and using a fire tab for a control, and i haven't spent the time to figure out how to get around it.