Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ciaphas posted:

genesis just wasn't popular enough :smith:

dynamite headdy, you could have been someone in another universe

alys dies

For some reason, every Genesis game I ever played always felt a little sketch and a little loose. Even darlings like Dynamite Headdy and Gunstar Heroes controlled a little roughly and had lazy hitboxes. This is probably because a lot of its offerings were either arcade ports, or shoddily-made games developed by weird western companies that didn't really know what they were doing. Virgin Software was a loving pox. The only exception was Streets of Rage, that was choice.

Think about it from this perspective. Chakan and Ecco are some of the most famous games on the Genesis. But part of that notoriety comes from that they are loving horrible to play. It's like if the SNES was remembered for Actraiser 2.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Motto posted:

Why is it always games that people get weird about

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

Can't be good if it can be beaten in half an A press.

You don't need any a presses c'mon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're playing on N64 you need one full press though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Motto posted:

Why is it always snes games that people get weird about

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Why is it everytime CT is brought up is always a scorching hot take.

Also Cheetah, I aggressively disagree. Toryiama's art rules. :colbert: The whole he looks like Goku/Trunks/Vegeta or the females are pretty much Bulma that's a given. But I always liked his monster desgins.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Back when political cartoons had time to comment on culture and whatever, and not have to try keeping up with this garbage administration

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be honest i'm a little surprised he had a twitter already going in 2007 but i'm not sure if that subtitle was added later

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This is so completely wrong and bad. There’s no valid opinion where Chrono Trigger isn’t in the top 3. I know i’m being an over reactionary nerd here, but it’s the truth.

i listed five snes rpgs i like better! and i forgot final fantasy 5 so actually six. top 10 is pretty good tho

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

But Avatar: The Last Airbender is really awesomely cool.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shindragon posted:

Why is it everytime CT is brought up is always a scorching hot take.

Also Cheetah, I aggressively disagree. Toryiama's art rules. :colbert: The whole he looks like Goku/Trunks/Vegeta or the females are pretty much Bulma that's a given. But I always liked his monster desgins.

his monster designs are okay but you almost never play as his monsters

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

But Avatar: The Last Airbender is really awesomely cool.

Agreed! I love it and only saw it two years ago when I was early thirties.
Also a massive fan of Korra and would like to see them make another show!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The White Dragon posted:

You do fight them alot. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VideoGames posted:

Agreed! I love it and only saw it two years ago when I was early thirties.
Also a massive fan of Korra and would like to see them make another show!

I liked the first Avatar a lot.

Korra I could take it or leave it. It took one of the things I liked the most about The Last Airbender and undid it, which was, it had a definite ending. That's it, it's done, it's the end. FOR EVER.

but now have a sequel

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

You can't blame Toriyama for the mistakes of the developers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There was a live action movie just called "The Last Airbender" which apparently was hot garbage. Probably what the comic was referring to

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lol

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That last panel just reminds me of the CD thread.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

There was a live action movie just called "The Last Airbender" which apparently was hot garbage. Probably what the comic was referring to
Oh yeah, fans of the show despise the movie, its that bad

Anyway, a member of the audubon society wrote an article on rdr2's birds and how the game accurately depicts the time before regulations to prevent overhunting and such were put in place.

https://www.audubon.org/news/birding-its-1899-inside-blockbuster-american-west-video-game

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
There's a show on Netlifx called The Dragon Prince that's written by the writer from Avatar. It's only one season with another on the way but people seem to really dig it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

Yes and iirc it was written and directed by M Night Shyamalan :psyduck:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He’s back to putting his name on his film projects so his good name has been restored since!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Isn't Avatar TLA getting another live action adaptation this time as a netflix series

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yuppp. Which alot of the reaction is: Hell no.

edit: The funny thing about M Night is he admits he had no knowledge of the series (it goddamn shows) and just wanted to do it for his kid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

He’s back to putting his name on his film projects so his good name has been restored since!

His one about the people trapped in an elevator wasn't too bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Split was decent IMO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Many people say The Village is where Shyamalan began to falter but I thought it was pretty good. People say "oh they're living in modern times I saw the twist coming a mile away" but the twist is really that the Elders are THE REAL MONSTERS. Which is still pretty lame, but that critique always annoys me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Didn't that comic's last panel use to refer to Pirates 3?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

there's a twist shaped hole in my heart with no more zero escape/danganronpa

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

Play Professor Layton

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I recently saw The Handmaiden and if you want some mindbending crazy plot twists and bizarre gratuitous lesbian sex scenes that sure is a thing to watch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Play Professor Layton

I already played them all and I'm pissed he's not in smash!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

I already played them all and I'm pissed he's not in smash!!

Ace Attorney is often twisty but I'm gonna guess that there is not a single Layton/Zero Escape/Danganronpa player who isn't already an AA fan

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I recently saw The Handmaiden and if you want some mindbending crazy plot twists and bizarre gratuitous lesbian sex scenes that sure is a thing to watch.

Park Chan-Wook is such a good director.

Everyone knows Oldboy but honestly I think Stoker is my favorite film of his

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZz7KZ5DucE

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 3, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

i listed five snes rpgs i like better! and i forgot final fantasy 5 so actually six. top 10 is pretty good tho

And really I'm just giving you a bad time. You're fine, it doesn't matter. So many great games on SNES. :)

The last time I played Chrono Trigger was October 2018, on PC with the fixed sprites. :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm not sure what I expected when I started up Skate but it sure wasn't a live action movie of a bunch of skaters doing goofy comedy :stare:

The control system is nifty but I think it's going to be tough to really take in. I have no idea if I'm gonna be any good at this one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought Skate was badly received? Or what Skating sim am I thinking of?

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Help Im Alive posted:

Given the two series you named i'm sure you already know, but there is this:

https://www.deathmarchclub.com/en/index.html

The guys behind the Zero Escape series and Dangan Ronpa teamed up and formed their own studio and are making this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Many people say The Village is where Shyamalan began to falter but I thought it was pretty good. People say "oh they're living in modern times I saw the twist coming a mile away" but the twist is really that the Elders are THE REAL MONSTERS. Which is still pretty lame, but that critique always annoys me.
I haven't seen The Village specifically but yeah, I don't think twists being obvious is always such a flaw.

Like I'd imagine the most interesting part of The Village should be how the characters react once they finally realize the reality of their situation and how they come to terms with it, not necessarily the "lol modern times" reveal itself.