Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

im on the net me boys posted:

she has a Barnes and Noble gift card and wants to use.

How much is the gift card? Tbh it might better just to give her the money for the gift card if you think kindle would be best in her case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Humerus posted:

I would be concerned about the longevity of Nook and B&N honestly. I know in this thread we all know you can strip drm and put any book on any reader but most people want something that just works. Also with the Kindle library ebooks are simple, I assume for others you have to download the file and move it over.

With that being said I found my wife's old (5+ years) Nook while cleaning the house and I'd sell it for like $20. I don't think she ever read a whole book on it (she decided she missed the feel of a book in her hands) so it's in pretty good shape. I charged it up and it turns on and works. Don't have any pictures but I can get some if you want.

I'm also a little concerned about Barnes and Noble's ability to stay afloat long term, but considering the readers are going for sub 30 online used I think it might be worthwhile for her. That and if it goes to hell I can always get her a Kindle and move everything over, I guess?
Also I appreciate the offer, but I'd rather get one from eBay. I feel weird doing transactions outside of e-commerce sites.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Well, we ended up getting her the newest e-ink model Nook. I mean, she's mom and we've got money. We def could have gotten her a used one and it would have been fine but considering we're trying to get reading back into the hands of a person who can't really hold books anymore in the easiest way possible, I think we made the best call.

im on the net me boys fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 31, 2018

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I left my Kindle at my ex's house and I really didn't want to go back for it, so I'm real happy that Woot had those refurbished models. :shobon: Thanks to the goon who linked it on the last page. You could do worse than $53 for a 2016 Paperwhite.

It's scratch and dent so hopefully whatever I get doesn't look totally like rear end. Based on the sample photos I'm sure it's nothing a cover can't, um, cover.

Doc Fission fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 3, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I lost my PW1 at some point, probably left it on a plane back in April, and just got a PW4 for Christmas. I didn't realize how much I missed this. The new screen is also very nice, though obviously I can't do a side by side.

I can't wait to put the water resistance to use this summer reading in the hot tub too.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Uhhh, this reminds me that I gifted an oldish paper white to a friend, trying to encourage him to read more, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t log out of any of my accounts... is that bad?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Uhhh, this reminds me that I gifted an oldish paper white to a friend, trying to encourage him to read more, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t log out of any of my accounts... is that bad?

You can forcibly remove the Kindle from your Amazon account at https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/myx#/home/devices/1 - also reachable via going to My Account on amazon and then selecting Your Content and Devices and choosing the tab that says devices. Once you do that, they can't go around buying books with your account or anything like that, so you're good to go.

As for if you signed into something like Goodreads or Twitter or Facebook, simply change your password at those sites and the device will be taken off of ability to use those accounts.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

fishmech posted:

You can forcibly remove the Kindle from your Amazon account at https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/myx#/home/devices/1 - also reachable via going to My Account on amazon and then selecting Your Content and Devices and choosing the tab that says devices. Once you do that, they can't go around buying books with your account or anything like that, so you're good to go.

As for if you signed into something like Goodreads or Twitter or Facebook, simply change your password at those sites and the device will be taken off of ability to use those accounts.

Thanks, they wouldn’t do anything malicious but there’s always a chance of something awkward happening

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The ads on my brand new kindle are pushing trade ins pretty hard.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

smackfu posted:

Ugh, they don't offer this in the UK :britain:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

smackfu posted:

My three year old one hasn't shown any at all. I really wonder if Amazon knows what they're doing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So the baseline Kindle was updated with a front light. It’s $10 more with the new MSRP being $89.99. Amazon’s claims it has better contrast, but the ppi is still 167, and honestly I see the new paperwhite go down to $99.99 frequently enough that I don’t see much appeal until the holiday season when they start selling them for $60.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
And even then, given that they last forever, that $40 or whatever difference over the 4-5 year life (at least) of owning it is such a small amount.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wish they'd make another glass front reader. The new Paperwhite and the Voyage have the same PPI but the Voyage looks a ton better. Not that it really matters for books, it's just cool.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone pick up a Kobo Forma recently? Quality issues still abound?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone pick up a Kobo Forma recently? Quality issues still abound?

Got one a couple of months back. The page turn buttons are a bit sticky and feel cheap considering the cost of it. After a couple of clicks they loosen up and aren’t an issue.

Other than that I’d say it’s well built - feels very solid, backlight is consistent, feels like it’d survive a drop and so on.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Major Ryan posted:

Got one a couple of months back. The page turn buttons are a bit sticky and feel cheap considering the cost of it. After a couple of clicks they loosen up and aren’t an issue.

Other than that I’d say it’s well built - feels very solid, backlight is consistent, feels like it’d survive a drop and so on.

Mine has the weird bright stripe on the one side but that's proven to be eminently ignorable given that it's not on the text itself. Turn buttons are fine; power button is a bit of a bitch but I have the sleep cover so it almost never gets used.

I've grown to really dislike reading on my Oasis 2 since I got the Forma; my old-assed eyes get tired of that blue backlight really fast. I've been A/B Testing my before-bed reading eyes on both lately and I can always read the Forma until the rest of me is ready to sleep; the Oasis, I can get to the point where I'd do another chapter, but my eyes are just blurring out. I also enjoy the larger screen; less page turns, and maps/pictures look better.

Now if only the Kobo iOS app wasn't such hot loving trash compared to the Kindle app or Books.app...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

smr posted:

Mine has the weird bright stripe on the one side but that's proven to be eminently ignorable given that it's not on the text itself. Turn buttons are fine; power button is a bit of a bitch but I have the sleep cover so it almost never gets used.

I've grown to really dislike reading on my Oasis 2 since I got the Forma; my old-assed eyes get tired of that blue backlight really fast. I've been A/B Testing my before-bed reading eyes on both lately and I can always read the Forma until the rest of me is ready to sleep; the Oasis, I can get to the point where I'd do another chapter, but my eyes are just blurring out. I also enjoy the larger screen; less page turns, and maps/pictures look better.

Now if only the Kobo iOS app wasn't such hot loving trash compared to the Kindle app or Books.app...

Kobo iOS app is actually half-decent for manga compared to Kindle though obviously they don't care about that and let Comixology handle that.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Kobo iOS app is actually half-decent for manga compared to Kindle though obviously they don't care about that and let Comixology handle that.

I'm not into manga at all so couldn't say; it's absolute garbage for reading regular books, though, which makes me sad. All the font and page layout options look like poo poo with tons of wasted space, and the page turns are slower than dogshit even with all turn effects off.

It's really bad :(

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

It's legally permissable to crack the drm on your Kobo ebooks to read them in another application if that would make your reading experience better!

smr
Dec 18, 2002

It's legally permissable to crack the drm on your Kobo ebooks to read them in another application if that would make your reading experience better!

Oh, I do, but then I miss out on the excellent syncing between the tablet app and the ereader itself :( Whispersync on the Kindle is absolutely perfect at this.

I'll occasionally go through spells where I manually sync iBooks to the Forma but it's a pain in the rear end given how much I read and switch between the tablet and the reader.

C'est la vie.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I can't imagine syncing my ebooks from the store directly to my reader because essentially every book anybody sells is wrong and I have to fix them.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't imagine syncing my ebooks from the store directly to my reader because essentially every book anybody sells is wrong and I have to fix them.

what the hell kind of problems are you having with your ebooks

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I got a Kobo Aura One a while back because I tried an Oasis 2 and I think it’s metal back is completely awful, the battery life sucked, and the lack of a warm backlight.

I liked the Kobo quite a bit but dislike the store and having to strip drm and manually load files, etc. The worst thing was the lack of whispersync, though.

I ended up just using my Oasis 1 for normal reading, and my phone for bedtime reading. It works well enough for the small amount of reading I actually do in bed.

If amazon released an oasis 3 with the larger screen, a comfortable rubberized back, and warm lighting I’d be all over it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They indent at 1em.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I put my Oasis in my back pocket and forgot about it and sat my fat butt on it while driving. And it actually just bent instead of breaking. There's a curve in my screen now, but nothing's cracked and everything works. Pretty impressive.

Sooo... Any news on the next Oasis kindle? I might need one soon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just get a Paperwhite imo

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Totally Huge posted:

I got a Kobo Aura One a while back because I tried an Oasis 2 and I think it’s metal back is completely awful, the battery life sucked, and the lack of a warm backlight.

I liked the Kobo quite a bit but dislike the store and having to strip drm and manually load files, etc. The worst thing was the lack of whispersync, though.

I ended up just using my Oasis 1 for normal reading, and my phone for bedtime reading. It works well enough for the small amount of reading I actually do in bed.

If amazon released an oasis 3 with the larger screen, a comfortable rubberized back, and warm lighting I’d be all over it.

I am also waiting for a Kindle with a bigger screen. Part of the reason why I was asking bout the Kobo Forma prior.

I have to figure Amazon has something waiting in the wings, everyone else is putting out these larger display ereaders but they're not Kindles.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2019

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Totally Huge posted:

But the Kobo Aura One does have warm backlighting...?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Space Fish posted:

It also doesn't have a metal back, so he might be thinking of a different model.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Space Fish posted:

Sorry, I meant I got the Kobo because of the big warm screen after trying out and hating the Oasis 2. I gave the Kobo a shot, but leaving the Amazon ecosystem proved to be pretty annoying to me so I’m back to an Oasis 1 and iPhone combo. I use my iPhone in bed and when I don’t have the Oasis on me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I am also waiting for a Kindle with a bigger screen. Part of the reason why I was asking bout the Kobo Forma prior.

I have to figure Amazon has something waiting in the wings, everyone else is putting out these larger display ereaders but they're not Kindles.

They've done the DX and scrapped it, I'd say 7 inch on the latest Oasis is likely as large as they'll go now, but probably it'll trickle down the range tier by tier. I wish they did the Voyage still, it was a nice compromise in terms of cost and build. The Oasis is very expensive.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm not the person you were asking, but off the top of my head: lovely indenting, lovely fonts, lovely line spacing, and hosed up footnotes. Pirate OCRs of out of print sci-fi books from the 70s are better typeset than like half the commercially edited and published ebooks I buy.

That said, I've mostly stopped manually repairing ebooks since Koreader has an option to turn off embedded styles when reading and that fixes 99% of the issues.

Totally Huge posted:

Isn't Whispersync just the same "buy books and have them loaded on your e-reader over the internet" thing that all Kobos have, except over the cell network rather than wifi? Are you out of wifi coverage often enough that that's a problem?

DRM is the same story, Kobo and Kindle e-readers both use DRM, they just use different formats. So if you're habitually stripping DRM from the books you buy for your Kobo, wouldn't you be doing the same thing for your Kindle books?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ToxicFrog posted:

Isn't Whispersync just the same "buy books and have them loaded on your e-reader over the internet" thing that all Kobos have, except over the cell network rather than wifi?

Absolutely not? It's syncing your location in books across devices.

Most Kindle devices don't even have the cell radio anymore.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fishmech posted:

Absolutely not? It's syncing your location in books across devices.

Most Kindle devices don't even have the cell radio anymore.

Oh. My mistake.

Kobo also does that, though -- reading position, bookmarks, and annotations (and probably some other stuff I'm not remembering) get synced across e-readers and with the Kobo mobile/PC apps.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm not the person you were asking, but off the top of my head: lovely indenting, lovely fonts, lovely line spacing, and hosed up footnotes. Pirate OCRs of out of print sci-fi books from the 70s are better typeset than like half the commercially edited and published ebooks I buy.

That said, I've mostly stopped manually repairing ebooks since Koreader has an option to turn off embedded styles when reading and that fixes 99% of the issues.

Isn't Whispersync just the same "buy books and have them loaded on your e-reader over the internet" thing that all Kobos have, except over the cell network rather than wifi? Are you out of wifi coverage often enough that that's a problem?

DRM is the same story, Kobo and Kindle e-readers both use DRM, they just use different formats. So if you're habitually stripping DRM from the books you buy for your Kobo, wouldn't you be doing the same thing for your Kindle books?

I don't have this problem as much as I used to when I had my first Kindle, but there were tons of books on Amazon that have a full space between every paragraph and it used to make me insane. Haven't seen this in a while, though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They've done the DX and scrapped it, I'd say 7 inch on the latest Oasis is likely as large as they'll go now, but probably it'll trickle down the range tier by tier. I wish they did the Voyage still, it was a nice compromise in terms of cost and build. The Oasis is very expensive.

They did, but with 150ppi, it's not worth searching for. I wouldn't want it that big anyway. The Forma's 8 inch is about as high I would personally go.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

My wife has decided to give e-readers another try so we ordered a new Paperwhite. She's just going to log in my account so we can share books and such but I don't want any weird issues with syncing because of it. I see an option on my Kindle to disable Whispersync, will that suffice? I assume she'll still be able to download any of the books on my account, just they won't automatically sync to where I've read on my Kindle?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Humerus posted:

My wife has decided to give e-readers another try so we ordered a new Paperwhite. She's just going to log in my account so we can share books and such but I don't want any weird issues with syncing because of it. I see an option on my Kindle to disable Whispersync, will that suffice? I assume she'll still be able to download any of the books on my account, just they won't automatically sync to where I've read on my Kindle?

Why not setup Amazon Household? You can share books that way and keep Whispersync on since she would login with her own account.

https://www.amazon.com/myh/households

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Is this all ebooks? I was reading about family sharing and it seemed to say that some stuff was excluded.