Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
And fwiw - I think Cowcaster is about on par with the way I do things in this regard - there's a middle ground between never doing anything past the 140 difficulty and being all caught up on 5* magicites. The endgame is several tiers of content deep at this point and I recently finished sub-30 3* magicites for the first time meeting a compromise between using my favorites (Balthier and Agrias were my first full dives) and using broken-rear end guys I've been fortunate enough to get a lot of loot for (Squall and Tidus put in a ton of work for me even if they're nerds).

If you decide to come back, or for anyone else who feels like you, one thing that helps is getting one or two really broken, meta lynchpin items (like Elarra's USB) and leaning on that to make up for the fact that you wanna bring Setzer a lot or w/e

There's also enough content and weird poo poo going on in the game that if you're bored you can have some fun experimenting. There used to be people whose whole gimmick was soloing hard (not usually the hardest, but tough) fights with characters like Galuf and Golbez who had robust kits with a lot of survivability built into their offense. That kinda thing.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

There's also enough content and weird poo poo going on in the game that if you're bored you can have some fun experimenting. There used to be people whose whole gimmick was soloing hard (not usually the hardest, but tough) fights with characters like Galuf and Golbez who had robust kits with a lot of survivability built into their offense. That kinda thing.
Speaking of Galuf Solos Everything, he can currently clear an extant superboss by abusing oversights in its AI. (I point this out because HGS may be interested in some spite.) Bahamut Fury is scripted to throw out a whole bunch of damage for up to 25 turns in phase 1 before unblockably wrecking the party in phase 2. And then, if you've followed the gimmick in phase 1, your party will respawn and the fight will proceed to phase 3. That said, "unblockably wrecking the party" isn't as unblockable as intended, and after a while in phase 2 Bahamut Fury will actually run out of things to do that can kill the party. So if you bring along the "invulnerable to everything" part of Galuf's toolkit you can ride out the fight for <90 seconds before laughing at the boss.

Afterwards there was another superboss that explicitly removed that status from Galuf, but in return it wasn't nearly so excessive as Bahamut Fury's stupid mountain of health (2.5M) and defense (60K DEF/76K RES + buffs).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

The Gogos could have been so much fun if they were something more like Tyro.

The triple mimic on Gogo VI's USB is actually turning out to be kind of fun. If you have a chain going or another way to cap damage on him, it's like a slightly gimped Ability Double that doesn't cost hones.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NGDBSS posted:

Speaking of Galuf Solos Everything, he can currently clear an extant superboss by abusing oversights in its AI. (I point this out because HGS may be interested in some spite.) Bahamut Fury is scripted to throw out a whole bunch of damage for up to 25 turns in phase 1 before unblockably wrecking the party in phase 2. And then, if you've followed the gimmick in phase 1, your party will respawn and the fight will proceed to phase 3. That said, "unblockably wrecking the party" isn't as unblockable as intended, and after a while in phase 2 Bahamut Fury will actually run out of things to do that can kill the party. So if you bring along the "invulnerable to everything" part of Galuf's toolkit you can ride out the fight for <90 seconds before laughing at the boss.

Afterwards there was another superboss that explicitly removed that status from Galuf, but in return it wasn't nearly so excessive as Bahamut Fury's stupid mountain of health (2.5M) and defense (60K DEF/76K RES + buffs).

Speaking of, why doesn't the game tell me what Chronicles of the Water Crystal does? It's kinda annoying having to look this up.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

(like Elarra's USB)

Pretty sure I got this recently. Again, I need to go through a ton of stuff, but I suppose I should prioritize that one? What makes it so great?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Pretty sure I got this recently. Again, I need to go through a ton of stuff, but I suppose I should prioritize that one? What makes it so great?

Regenga is insane (2k heal every couple seconds), instant entry and quickcast.. 2? Basically, you can drop it and then not have to worry about healing for a little so Elarra can toss out some songs for af ew rounds instead of immediately going back to curada spam.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I believe it's high quick cast 2

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

MF_James posted:

Regenga is insane (2k heal every couple seconds), instant entry and quickcast.. 2? Basically, you can drop it and then not have to worry about healing for a little so Elarra can toss out some songs for af ew rounds instead of immediately going back to curada spam.

Neat. Pretty much been rolling with Ovelia and Y'shtola as my main sources of healing. Could always use more.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

actually with elarra you don't need more

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I use elarra in 99.9% of encounters, the only ones I haven't used her in were when I needed selphie for astra and uhh CT because you can only use elarra in 1/4 parts so I save her for the top!

Seriously, she is that good, I also got her BSB so I can even get LS out of her! Diving her is not a waste

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also unlike eiko, who up until i got elarra's usb was my firmly cemented group healer, elarra gets a double cast white from her legend dive, which was nice

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cowcaster posted:

like ff6's gogo is one of my favorite final fantasy characters and i was psyched when he was added but he's just straight up bad and i don't think i've ever used him. meanwhile i haven't played a numbered final fantasy game after 7 (and/or tactics) and tidus has practically never left my brute force team since i dived him and got his ultra soul break. you gotta compromise.
With their newest USB from the current VI event, Gogo VI is actually pretty good! They take some doing because mimic is a weird mechanic, and they kinda only work with mage parties because their brave USB increments with black magic and COMBAT (?!?!?! why), but in a mage party Gogo VI is a respectable buffer and triplecast mimicking something like chain firaja or lunatic thunder is actually hilarious.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So my discount realm pulls have been...pretty good. Here's what I ended up with of note after pulling on the 33 pull, all of the 5-mythril realm banners, and about a third of the 15-mythril realm banners:

D. Cecil AOSB + BSB
Irvine USB
Onion Knight Phys USB
Rapha USB
Squall Fire USB
Rem USB
Emperor USB + RM
Rinoa CSB
Gilgamesh CSB
Squall Glint
Luneth Glint + BSB2
Sephiroth OSB
Cid Raines OSB
Krile RM
Celes RM
Rinoa RM
Bartz RM

Plus some other assorted junk BSBs + RMs. So a lot of those are definitely good stat sticks, but I've got some questions about a few of them:

How is Squall's fire USB? He was purely an ice DPS unit last time I played, and getting his Glint with ice boost armor seems nice for that (I've got his BSB2 already also), but can he hold his own as a fire DPS too now? Also, how does Gilgamesh's fire chain compare to Locke's? I had Locke's already, but he was always an awkward fit and it seems like Gilgamesh's samurai access would let him do more damage on a phys fire team, unless Locke has gotten access to some strong stuff since my break.

Is Luneth with his Glint, BSB2, and OSB worth diving?

How is D. Cecil as a dark user now that I've got his arcane overstrike and BSB? My phys dark team is already pretty stacked (Orlandeau with USB, Shadow with BSB, Garland with Chain), so it's hard to see him taking one of those slots, but maybe I'm underestimating that AOSB.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I doubt D Cecil would be any use with that team, maybe for 5* holy when it comes out, but not sure, you definitely won't be swapping him in for 3* or 4*.

Gilgamesh chain is good, locke is pretty useful if you have his USB but I'd probably run gilgamesh instead provided you have 2 other good physical fire people, locke would probably be fine for 3*/4* magicites since it has the 11 hit opener, but you'd likely want the bigger boost for 5*.

I honestly wouldn't waste a dive on luneth with what you have (i have better and have yet to dive him) but I don't know everything you own.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How is Squall's fire USB? He was purely an ice DPS unit last time I played, and getting his Glint with ice boost armor seems nice for that (I've got his BSB2 already also), but can he hold his own as a fire DPS too now? Also, how does Gilgamesh's fire chain compare to Locke's? I had Locke's already, but he was always an awkward fit and it seems like Gilgamesh's samurai access would let him do more damage on a phys fire team, unless Locke has gotten access to some strong stuff since my break.
Squall is pretty much exactly as good at fire as he is at ice. If you have him dived, feel free to stick him on a phys fire team. Greg's chain is a 2.0 chain and Locke's is a 1.0, so it has a significantly bigger base fire bonus, can be incremented higher, and comes with a party 50% atk buff, so it's preferable unless you really want Locke there for something.

quote:

Is Luneth with his Glint, BSB2, and OSB worth diving?
For general use, probably not. For the III torment if you have excess motes, maybe.

quote:

How is D. Cecil as a dark user now that I've got his arcane overstrike and BSB? My phys dark team is already pretty stacked (Orlandeau with USB, Shadow with BSB, Garland with Chain), so it's hard to see him taking one of those slots, but maybe I'm underestimating that AOSB.
With his USB you could probably slot him in instead of Shadow, but without that it's not worth it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Squall USB is good, and his legend dive is spellblade focused, not ice, so no problems on that front. If there's any problem with it, its just that physical fire is a stacked pool, and I think he compares well even then - its enfire, a chase, and scaling cast speed/crit boost as you spellblade. Very good.

Keevon
Jun 11, 2002
You know maybe instead of being an angry nerd and writing your paper about how poorly notch wrote a multi million dollar game you could try being productive and write your own game but properly and show him whats what:qq:

I really only have D.Cecil ASB and I use him in my Siren run. He can use Heavy abilities, and the ASB helps during the final Curaja phase since soul breaks don't trigger the counter.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

People covered this but to reiterate: USB Elarra is a one-stop shop for high-level healing. Regenga makes its group healing throughput unparalleled, group quickcast is obviously a massive boon both offensively and defensively, and to top it all off she has a good record dive. There's really no reason to ever bring another healer anywhere, unless you absolutely need last stand or something for a gimmick and can't get it anywhere else on your team or something.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

People covered this but to reiterate: USB Elarra is a one-stop shop for high-level healing. Regenga makes its group healing throughput unparalleled, group quickcast is obviously a massive boon both offensively and defensively, and to top it all off she has a good record dive. There's really no reason to ever bring another healer anywhere, unless you absolutely need last stand or something for a gimmick and can't get it anywhere else on your team or something.

And dont forget that elarras bsb also has last stand as if you dont need her to be even more overpowered

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is it worth doing half dives on characters that I have some really good relics for but have kinda lovely RM2s? Like I've got Gabranth's CSB and getting an extra 19% damage from a half dive seems really good, but his RM2 looks pretty much worthless. Or is that a waste of motes?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

two healers can be great too. I've used Elarra USB + Ovelia USB for a bunch of stuff

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I still use Penelo vs Ixion, and Rosa whenever I want to cheese a dumb ubernuke mechanic
Other than that, Elongated Edrich Elarra is the healer among healers and is pretty much second to none.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
How are we feeling about Elarra's USB2? I uh, thought the fest banner with her USB2 on it was actually her USB1 and ended up with this. Yeah...

MF_James
May 8, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

How are we feeling about Elarra's USB2? I uh, thought the fest banner with her USB2 on it was actually her USB1 and ended up with this. Yeah...

It's good, obviously leans towards physical teams, but has a use; I'd still prefer her USB1 overall due to regenga and QC

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So, these are the Healing things I have. What's the best one?

Ace SSB1
Aerith BSB1
Arc SSB2
Echo BSB1
Larsa SSB1
Ovelia BSB2
Ovelia USB1
Porom SSB1
Relm USB1
Rosa BSB1
Rosa SSB1
Sarah BSB1
Sephie BSB2
Yuna BSB2

Currently, I'm using Arc SSB2.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

In a vacuum, Relm, but Arc SSB2 is good because of physical blink for sure, others I'm less familiar with since I generally roll USBs and wasn't around for the BSB era, but iirc Ovelia is kind of middling. never mind I was thinking of Alma, Ovelia's is good too, I'd still (probably) roll relm though because her dive is good, but it would be huge to get Relm's doublecast white LMR

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 4, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

Ace SSB1
Aerith BSB1
Arc SSB2
Echo BSB1
Larsa SSB1
Ovelia BSB2
Ovelia USB1
Porom SSB1
Relm USB1
Rosa BSB1
Rosa SSB1
Sarah BSB1
Sephie BSB2
Yuna BSB2

Relm USB.

Edit: wait Ovelia USB is good too. I love Last Stand.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 4, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Woop, finally beat Hades, which was the only 4* magicite I'd left undone. Turns out that getting OK's pUSB, a good piece of enholy armor, and Iris' BSB make all the difference.

So how much are these 5* magicites going to push my poo poo in if I was capable of sub-30s on about half of the 4*s?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sometimes I run Deuce with just her BSB and 4 DPS dudes. Having your statbuffs on your healer saves a slot! :pseudo:

Agreed that it's mostly niche cases that would see a slot taken by anyone but Girl Tyro now that I've got her USB.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Ace SSB1
Aerith BSB1
Arc SSB2
Echo BSB1
Larsa SSB1
Ovelia BSB2
Ovelia USB1
Porom SSB1
Relm USB1
Rosa BSB1
Rosa SSB1
Sarah BSB1
Sephie BSB2
Yuna BSB2

Relm USB by a mile. Ovelia USB runner up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Woop, finally beat Hades, which was the only 4* magicite I'd left undone. Turns out that getting OK's pUSB, a good piece of enholy armor, and Iris' BSB make all the difference.

So how much are these 5* magicites going to push my poo poo in if I was capable of sub-30s on about half of the 4*s?

I've sub 30'd all the 4* magicites and I can't even take a single 5* to half hp before getting wiped. I have no idea how anyone does these.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MF_James posted:

In a vacuum, Relm, but Arc SSB2 is good because of physical blink for sure, others I'm less familiar with since I generally roll USBs and wasn't around for the BSB era, but iirc Ovelia is kind of middling. never mind I was thinking of Alma, Ovelia's is good too, I'd still (probably) roll relm though because her dive is good, but it would be huge to get Relm's doublecast white LMR

Relm and Ovelia have identical dives. :eng101:

Relm's USB is party-wide Instant Cast and a 30% bubble, whereas Ovelia's is +100% Res and Last Stand. They both fill different niches but most people subscribe to the thought that the best defense is a good offense, and Relm's speed tech enables that a little better than Ovelia's.

They're both top shelf, though.

Kheldarn posted:

As far as best overall single healing SB, it's between those two SBs above, but if you're short on White Magic hones and want to fall back on burst commands, Sarah is probably are your ace there. Ovelia would be okay with her BSB2, but she makes the cardinal sin of having a non-instant single target heal, which can be awkward as hell.

Generally, I'd start with Sarah until you get a decent levelled Curaja/Ultra Cure, then move on to Ovelia, and progress to Relm once you're set with a fully honed stack of Ultra Cure or Curada.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Generally, I'd start with Sarah until you get a decent levelled Curaja/Ultra Cure, then move on to Ovelia, and progress to Relm once you're set with a fully honed stack of Ultra Cure or Curada.

I have Ultra Cure, Curada, and Curaise. I've barely honed any skills at all, so I should have a nice stockpile of materials to do that. What rank should I get them up to? Or should I max them out if I have the materials?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I have Ultra Cure, Curada, and Curaise. I've barely honed any skills at all, so I should have a nice stockpile of materials to do that. What rank should I get them up to? Or should I max them out if I have the materials?

Rank 3 or 4 of Curada should get you pretty far. I think mine's at 4 and it's extremely rare that I would use all those hones.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, a Rank 4 of Curada will basically last you all the way through to at least 4* magicite. Needing multiple stacks and/or R5s generally only comes up in the absolute highest end of content when you don't have the killing power to blitz down enemies and have to take it endurance-style instead. poo poo like Transcendent bosses, D350 MOs, 5* Magicite, D??? Torments. That sort of thing. So if you've got Curada at R4 you're basically set for 95% of the game content.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

saltylopez posted:

Rank 3 or 4 of Curada should get you pretty far. I think mine's at 4 and it's extremely rare that I would use all those hones.

Crap. I was wrong. I have the materials for Curada, but not the Record. I do have Curaja, though, along with Utral Cure and Curaise.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

My realm parade luck continues, snagged Meliadoul's USB and BSB off the Tactics banner. Though I'm not sure if it's actually good? Imperil seems nice, but the breakdown aspect is pretty useless for magicites and it doesn't come with an empower or any kind of chase. At the very least, it's + earth armor, which is definitely welcome.

I guess I've basically got an earth-flavored Vaan now, however often that ends up being relevant.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

My realm parade luck continues, snagged Meliadoul's USB and BSB off the Tactics banner. Though I'm not sure if it's actually good? Imperil seems nice, but the breakdown aspect is pretty useless for magicites and it doesn't come with an empower or any kind of chase. At the very least, it's + earth armor, which is definitely welcome.

I guess I've basically got an earth-flavored Vaan now, however often that ends up being relevant.

The imperil and breakdown alone aren't worth a spot on a Magicite team, but together she can probably do some solid work against Quetz and DEFINITELY against Ixion. She'll also do okay against the torment, and CMs/Crystal Towers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mel USB got me my Quetz clear. On 5* magicite, the debuff is 10.8% less magic damage taken, 14% less piercing magic damage taken, and 8.5% more physical damage done, which is not exactly useless. Break abilities are pretty bad by themselves, since they take up an ability slot, but this one comes along with decent damage and an imperil, so in this case it's pretty good.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks guys, I'll definitely give Mel a try in my Ixion run then. She's competing with a ridiculously stacked Bartz and Dorgan with his USB, so it's gonna be close, but I forgot breaks are actually slightly useful on Ixion.

Also, I'm slowly chipping away at the first-tier Torment fights, and I'll probably be able to buy at least one or maybe two skills when I'm done with the ones I can actually complete. Are any of them particularly recommended to get right away? If it makes a difference, my toughest Magicite fights at the 4* level were definitely Tiamat and Isgebind, though the latter was more due to the gimmick and all of my good fire stuff being physical. My sub-30 clears were Marilis, Midgardsormir, and Ixion so far, with Kraken and Isgebind getting close.