Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bonus testing out new camera shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Speaking of murder cats have we seen an update on Mudercat recently?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Tater finally held still for a picture today

zakharov fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 30, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Infinitum posted:

Glitch has momentarily stopped eating my cables to focus on killing cockroaches.

Up to 4 tonight already.

My little murderkitty :3:

Clearly the solution is to seed a bunch of cockroaches around your computer area.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FatassGlitch can't fit behind my couch anymore, and has taken to meowing in anger at this fact

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Sylvester has discovered that he can extort pets from the child by plopping his rear end on her tablet while its in use. If she moves it he'll follow it and slap his rear end on it wherever it ends up. A new furry front has been opened in the limiting of tablet time war and it is awesome.

Best catte.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I hate being that guy but I’ve had this cat for 12 years and she is dying in front of me and it’s killing me. I am a 36 year old man and I literally broke down in tears in front of my roommate because this poo poo is agonizing.

This world is cruel to give us such loving fuckers and then snatch them away from us.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Angry Grimace posted:

I hate being that guy but I’ve had this cat for 12 years and she is dying in front of me and it’s killing me. I am a 36 year old man and I literally broke down in tears in front of my roommate because this poo poo is agonizing.

This world is cruel to give us such loving fuckers and then snatch them away from us.

There is absolutely no shame in this. Just be with her and love her as much as possible until the end.

I was a sobbing pile of poo poo when my longest term kitty from '94 died in 2009. I had a roommate at the time who completely understood, even though he was a dog guy. If your roommate does not understand then get another roommate.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah, just try to hold the bawling in as best you can till after they're gone. There'll be plenty of time for grief. Say goodbye and tell them all the ways they've made your life better, of course, just try to enjoy what you've got left.

Of course I SAY that while regularly breaking down, imagining the last day with my fuzzball, ever since getting her as a kitten. The inevitability is horrifying.

Condolences, friend.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 3, 2019

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Angry Grimace posted:

I utterly lost my poo poo when I found out hicks's kidney stuff would be terminal- you aren't being that guy you are someone grieving for the loss of a close friend, my condolences

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Anyone got a good recommendation for a water fountain for cats? All the sites seem to recommend the Catit flower one, but it's a., plastic which I've read to avoid, and b., ugly as sin. Trying to sort through Amazon reviews is a massive pain in the rear end since it sounds like every one is just a piece of crap.

My cats both hate/won't eat wet food so I'm thinking of grabbing a fountain to see if they drink more.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
As I experiment with different dishes and foods, I reflect that I've never had a pet that I had to convince to eat and drink.

My cats as a kid would chow down on anything. Tater will nibble and often leave a chunk of food untouched. He's gotten better since we switched to feeding him off a plate instead of a bowl but come on, stop being a diva.

I even got him a water fountain which I don't think he's touched beyond a cursory sniff. He also hates cardboard boxes and sitting on the couch. He's defective.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

emotive posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a water fountain for cats? All the sites seem to recommend the Catit flower one, but it's a., plastic which I've read to avoid, and b., ugly as sin. Trying to sort through Amazon reviews is a massive pain in the rear end since it sounds like every one is just a piece of crap.

My cats both hate/won't eat wet food so I'm thinking of grabbing a fountain to see if they drink more.

I got 2 of these a little bit ago to replace my super annoying to clean plastic monster. They're working well. When its cleaning time parts go in dishwasher while the spare goes into service. You still have to disassemble/clean the pump by hand, but thats simple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037NKDSG

Break The Sky
Sep 29, 2008

emotive posted:

I’ve got this fountain, and it’s been working pretty well. Super simple to take apart and wash, and very quiet until it’s almost empty. My idiots are tremendously unfussy so take it with a grain of salt, but they had no trouble adapting to it.

Speaking of said idiots:

I was punished last night with no snuggles and angry yelling because I ran out of their lovely wet food and god forbid they have to eat their expensive dry food more than once a day but I still love them :kimchi:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My friends cat didn’t like still water but refused to drink out of the fountain my friend bought him becaus of the noise so he rigged up a sensor that would stop it running when the cat got near it. That might help depending on your knowledge of electronics

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I have th catit flower fountain and my cats ignore it most of the time. Unless it's turned off, then it takes them less than ten minutes to completely disassemble the whole thing while they're trying to figure out where the water went. Idiots.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Drinkwell Platinum is both plastic and ugly, so it might not be what your looking for...

But FWIW both my and my MIL's cats seem to appreciate it and use it regularly, its easy-ish to clean, and the replaceable carbon filters are a nice touch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DrHammond posted:

Drinkwell Platinum is both plastic and ugly, so it might not be what your looking for...

But FWIW both my and my MIL's cats seem to appreciate it and use it regularly, its easy-ish to clean, and the replaceable carbon filters are a nice touch.

We had a fountain like that but someone kept drowning things in it. And playing in the base. The Catit flower doesn't have those problems.

Bean also seems to like it more as she hasn't had any constipation issues since we switched over to it.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
My cats both love the Catit flower and drink exclusively & frequently from it

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Each cat is unique in that they'll hate in their own way whatever you buy, especially if it was highly recommended.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kw0134 posted:

Each cat is unique in that they'll hate in their own way whatever you buy, especially if it was highly recommended.

They also will do ignore things designed to keep them away.

"Cats hate aluminum foil. Cover your tables in that." I was told by the internet.

Domino will actively lay on it and glare at me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My cat hates soft things. If given a choice between a box with a soft blanket in it, or a plain box, she sleeps in the box. I have an old blanket made out of rough/scratchy cloth, and she loving loves it and constantly cuddles up with it. It's made it impossible to find a cat bed for her, because they're all made to be as warm and soft as possible and she hates that poo poo.

Cats.txt

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

get her a burlap sack

2amcoffee
Sep 9, 2013

We use a Drinkwell Avalon which is ceramic and we haven’t had a gross slime mold issue so far

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I got this fountain for my cats and they do like it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071XXYDFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gets gross slime on it if you do not take the thing apart and clean it every week or so but on the plus side it is motion sensitive and only turns on when it detects movement (if you choose that setting), this means that one of my cats will perch 'behind' it and wave her paw in front of the sensor for prolonged periods of time, also if it runs low on water it glows red which is neat.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

All 3 of my cats love the goofy flower fountain but not all of them like the highly rated metal one. I'll say the flower gets the least dirty (no slime) and has the best design. It's just a big bucket so it's easy to fill and nothing to get gummed up. It's also easy to assemble after cleaning. The metal one with all the pieces is a pain and you have to get the pump just right on the inside. It picks up a lot of slime despite that supposedly being an advantage for metal. It's all pretty YMMV based on what your cats do I'm sure.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I use this one and Lucky loves it. It has a setting so it cycles on and off every 3 minutes or so, and Lucky likes to attack it when the water vanishes. It is very easy to clean and refill (including the pump), which I do about every 2 weeks with no slime. It uses a carbon filter insert that's pretty cheap too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so if you feel like you're not getting enough cuddles, just move. sancho is giving me and the wife so much love. he's also a ton more vocal. it's pretty interesting. there's also outside cats he can now see in the bay window and he does not like it at all. kind of concerned about getting a kitten now but I'm hoping they will get along and hiss at the outside cats together.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Slumber party!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Glitch is a glitch update: Have now progressed to being able to give her a shower in the bath with one of those shower hose attachments. She is a happy purry cat in water! Got the water halfway up her legs as well. Will proceed to teach cat to swim.

My cat is weird. :3:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

You must get video evidence.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We've been doing the stuff for about 6 weeks to try to make our old cat (16 years) get along with the new kittens but she still hisses or growls if they get too close. She's happy to be fed even 5 feet away but she's got a pretty clear personal space bubble. If she's a grumpy cat is she always just going to yell at the youngins to get off her lawn? Is it unrealistic to expect better tolerance than that?

They are still kept in different parts of the house when we aren't monitoring them, but I dunno if we are being too protective as I've always had cats that got along pretty quickly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

We've been doing the stuff for about 6 weeks to try to make our old cat (16 years) get along with the new kittens but she still hisses or growls if they get too close. She's happy to be fed even 5 feet away but she's got a pretty clear personal space bubble. If she's a grumpy cat is she always just going to yell at the youngins to get off her lawn? Is it unrealistic to expect better tolerance than that?

They are still kept in different parts of the house when we aren't monitoring them, but I dunno if we are being too protective as I've always had cats that got along pretty quickly.

Sounds like they get along just fine. Cats rarely become cuddle buddies. Tolerating being within 5 feet of each other in the same room is pretty normal.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's the hissing and growling that unnerves me. Maybe I've just had friendly cats, but I rarely saw previous cats hiss at anything but random strays or stuff like that. They wouldn't get along necessarily but they wouldn't stand their ground and hiss either.

So I guess I don't know how "normal" hissing can be

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's the hissing and growling that unnerves me. Maybe I've just had friendly cats, but I rarely saw previous cats hiss at anything but random strays or stuff like that. They wouldn't get along necessarily but they wouldn't stand their ground and hiss either.

So I guess I don't know how "normal" hissing can be

Our cats hiss and growl at each other all the time. It's part of cat social behavior. :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One of my cats hisses if the other is playing too rough and being a jerk. The other doesnt hiss, but he's a jerk in other ways

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hissing is fine, it's just her being a grumpy old cat with kittens. Its even fine if she bops them a bit to teach them to respect the hissing.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It took 4 months of gate separation before I get like I could leave old idiot and new idiot alone without them murdering each other. Now they coexist in the same room, and just Chase each other once in a while. It can take a long time. Be patient and consistent.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Organza Quiz posted:

Hissing is fine, it's just her being a grumpy old cat with kittens. Its even fine if she bops them a bit to teach them to respect the hissing.

Yeah, only be concerned if there's blood.

Hissing and swatting are perfectly normal for cats, especially when kittens are involved. Swatting at kittens and hissing at them is how adult cats teach kittens what is and is not acceptable behavior.

As anyone who's owned one can attest, kittens are assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

You must get video evidence.

Please enjoy my weird cat who wouldn't stop meowing until I gave her a bath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-Sn4Ce3EU