Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Falcorum posted:

Fun fact, if you're trying to use Bob's (or is it Angel's) bio processing to produce solid fuel, you'll need nearly 250 farms as the base production so you can saturate two red belts of solid fuel. Guess who didn't notice that's 250 farms with the swamp upgrade (aka speed 1 instead of speed 0.5). :downs:

On the plus side, that would be about 1.75 red belts more than I'm actually consuming.

Hah, call that painful? For the full on masochistic 'Please sir, whip me some more!' try a game with Pyanadons stuff now that he's put in the ore mod so it can all be stand alone. His graphics are lovely but gameplay balance is set way over into making it hurt. There are multiple places where he puts in horrifically slow and inefficient hand processes to escape chicken/egg situations (30s to cut a wood board anyone?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Pyanadons. The early bots are nice but..my factory is already bigger than a vanilla one, and I only have the red, green, and military sciences as well as the first circuit board and part of the second automated. It's one hell of a rabbit hole.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
it took me about five hours tonight to get from Plastic to Sulphuric Acid, Batteries, Electric Engines, Flying Frames, and Drones.

Drones are kinda good.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Drones are OP and trivialise the game. Turn all drones into side inserters.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Sillybones posted:

Give drones a 10% mis-deliver rate and an infinite tech to logarythmically approach 1%

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Ratzap posted:

Hah, call that painful? For the full on masochistic 'Please sir, whip me some more!' try a game with Pyanadons stuff now that he's put in the ore mod so it can all be stand alone. His graphics are lovely but gameplay balance is set way over into making it hurt. There are multiple places where he puts in horrifically slow and inefficient hand processes to escape chicken/egg situations (30s to cut a wood board anyone?).

I might try it eventually but for now I'm content on figuring out how to actually use trains properly instead of busing everything in Bobs (it was... a very large bus).

Pyanodons seablock when?! :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make each roboport capable of only supporting a limited amount of logistics drones within its area. If you want more drones you need to sacrifice more space for roboports with overlapping areas.

Remove the electric charging mechanic to make up for it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

Make each roboport capable of only supporting a limited amount of logistics drones within its area. If you want more drones you need to sacrifice more space for roboports with overlapping areas.

Remove the electric charging mechanic to make up for it.

Make drones use more power the faster they go and the more poo poo they carry. Inching a single item around? Cheap. Blasting a 12-pack of inserters around? Now you gotta stop for gas a bunch of times.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sillybones posted:

The game attracts both people who like puzzles and people who just want to build neat things. It's fine for it to cater to both. If you like the puzzle challenge, you can just not use bots. Also, the bots are hilarious with their beeping and booping. :colbert:

Back when Twinsen first made the modest proposal of removing logistics bots entirely, someone wrote a very long thoughtful response to it, which really did a pretty good job of explaining some of the conflicting worldviews Factorio players hold. I thought it was a pretty good read and I think it made me a bit more considerate of other ways to enjoy the game.

dexefiend posted:

it took me about five hours tonight to get from Plastic to Sulphuric Acid, Batteries, Electric Engines, Flying Frames, and Drones.

Drones are kinda good.

I have "only" around 220 hours in the game total but in my current save I've spent around 20 hours so far and haven't even gotten started on oil processing yet, because I've hosed around planning out a much huger base than I normally build because I figured I should do it properly for once. I got all the red/green science ages ago with a tiny little 25-lab starter base. I also built my own mall because I was feeling like it. It took like an hour or two and it's pretty bad. Currently overdesigning a rail network to feed my 8-full-yellow-belts-of-iron bus.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I made a thing.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/efficient-research

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, casual player with a random question: what's a mall?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Part of a factory that produces all the stuff you plop down or use to make your factory bigger. So things like belts and poles, assembly machines and smelters, and so on. It was a term popularized by streamers/Youtubers??? and it became part of the Factorio vocab.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Dancer posted:

A term for a one-stop-shop area with factories that produce all the most commonly used items like belts, inserters, factories, power poles, etc.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Falcorum posted:

I might try it eventually but for now I'm content on figuring out how to actually use trains properly instead of busing everything in Bobs (it was... a very large bus).

Pyanodons seablock when?! :colbert:

Frighteningly that's already a thing. How much it works? Dunno, not going there.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PyBlock

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dancer posted:

This is mine:

Ratios are probably all out of whack and I already see a few dumb things here and there but there you go. The three ghost assemblers in the top left are for blue belts - theoretically, at least. There's also a ghost on the right for oil refineries (which can't be crafted in an assembler 2). I play on peaceful so there's no turrets/walls/other gizmos either.

Normally when you've played the game a lot this kind of thing is something you design and build once, blueprint and then just plop down in all subsequent saves, or better yet you steal someone else's design and use that. It takes forever to build, I know I've missed a bunch of things I haven't researched yet which will be a pain to add in later, and it's mostly just speedbump on the road to where I'm going, but since I haven't touched the game in a while I figured I might as well do it to get back into the swing of things.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't think I saved a single blueprint of my own the whole time I played recently, all 10 or so hours of that save :(

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

TheFluff posted:

Ratios are probably all out of whack and I already see a few dumb things here and there but there you go. The three ghost assemblers in the top left are for blue belts - theoretically, at least. There's also a ghost on the right for oil refineries (which can't be crafted in an assembler 2). I play on peaceful so there's no turrets/walls/other gizmos either.

I do a mall in several overlaping BP chunks corresponding to science tech levels. The first 2 are pre robots and I use them as build templates, the later ones get constructed. The point being that each 'phase' of the mall only includes things I should be able to actually build. No ghosts.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I don't build malls or use older saved blueprints mostly because every new game has a different set of mods or whole new version of the base game. Plus by the time I get to bots it doesn't feel like cheating at all to have everything handled logistically after you've spent 40+ hours running back and forth on a 2km long bus. It's more like semi-retiring and giving the keys to your business to your (1000's of) protege's and occasionally visiting to tell them what they're doing wrong.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I started a normal map and I'm wondering when bugs start spawning.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Nests of spawners are created with the map, outside your "starting area" radius. A spawner creates bugs constantly up to a certain limit, at which point everything stagnates. When your pollution spreads far enough for spawners to start absorbing it, they'll start sending attacks waves. Otherwise they won't do anything unless you walk nearby.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My issue is that I am a complete scrub, and I didn't allocate my area well. Now that I am up to oil and electric engines, I am out of space.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SardonicTyrant posted:

I started a normal map and I'm wondering when bugs start spawning.

Just keep playing. You'll find out sooner or later (unless you've set your game to peaceful mode).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

dexefiend posted:

My issue is that I am a complete scrub, and I didn't allocate my area well. Now that I am up to oil and electric engines, I am out of space.

Space is infinite. You might need to rearrange things. You're also at a good place to make a new factory instead of trying to expand your current one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Always expand. Never tear down something that’s functioning.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Don't have to tear it down, but that doesn't mean it has to integrate into future builds, either

Just let it churn until it naturally dies or is in the way and build away from it, sucking up whatever it produces once in a while

I might have another go at this myself tonight or otherwise soon. Never really messed with em, what sort of mapgen settings do you all like with RSO and without biters? (I have RSO because supposedly it makes trains have a point out of the box, and that seemed to be the case in my last default settings run--my spawn mines ran quite dry before i made it to bots)

Speaking of which, do any mods enable easier train building? Laying track with signals and power poles is pretty fraught out the box, I feel.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 4, 2019

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've decided I'm going to start over post-update but still post-holidays have some time, so thought I'd try to build some stuff in sandbox mode.
Mainly I want to work with circuit logic early on in my next game, perhaps use it to make a "sushi belt" for multiple things. But I'm finding some aspects a little confusing. The memory cell in the cookbook makes no sense.

Suppose I wanted to make a belt assembler that is fed by one arm, and that assembler feeds one box. I want the feeding arm to be stopped when the box has 400 belts in it, but only to start it again if the box goes down to under 100 belts. How do I do that?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Look up SR-latches. It lets you tie in those two conditions as set and reset for your circuit.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of which, do any mods enable easier train building? Laying track with signals and power poles is pretty fraught out the box, I feel.

You're looking for FARL. You set a blueprint with the track layout you want, load up the FARL, and start driving. It'll place everything as you go.

You might want the mod that snaps vehicles to cardinal directions, which makes FARL a lot easier to use.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That would be the simple latch. The most common and useful of combinator combinations.

To make a latch you have a decider and an arithmetic. The decider output feeds into the arithmetic input and the arithmetic output feeds into the decider input. I use red wires for these, but the importance here is that the connection from what you’re measuring into the decider and the arithmetic output into the decider are on different colors. So wire the chests your measuring to it with green. The decider takes what your measuring and outputs 1 of something if the quantity is above/below your setpoint. I use signal ‘A’ most of the time so I’ll continue using it here but it only matters that it’s 1 of something. So here it would be set to output 1 ‘A’ if transport belts > 400. The inserter is then set to only run if ‘A’ = 0.

This creates an inserter that will run when belts are less than 400, but if that was all you wanted you could just do that with a direct connection. To make it latch is when that arithmetic feedback comes in. The arithmetic combinator must be set to output ‘A’ times the buffer quantity of items. If you want it to toggle at 100 then the buffer is 400-100= 300. So the Aritmetic takes A * 300 and outputs that number in transport belts. The decider adds the real number of belts on the green line with the phantom 300 on the red line. The inserter is stopped at this point and the decider thinks you actually have 700 belts, far above it’s setpoint of 400. It won’t start again until the real number of measured belts on green falls below 100, the 99+ 300 is now < 400 and the latch clears.

You can do the same thing with the inserter set to run if ‘A’ = 1, the decider set to transport belts < 100, and the arithmetic set to ‘A’ * negative 300. This is the same effect just with a “logic high” output (A = 1 vs A = 0 to enable)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ciaphas posted:

Don't have to tear it down, but that doesn't mean it has to integrate into future builds, either

Just let it churn until it naturally dies or is in the way and build away from it, sucking up whatever it produces once in a while

I might have another go at this myself tonight or otherwise soon. Never really messed with em, what sort of mapgen settings do you all like with RSO and without biters? (I have RSO because supposedly it makes trains have a point out of the box, and that seemed to be the case in my last default settings run--my spawn mines ran quite dry before i made it to bots)

I just use default settings with RSO, although with crude oil yield cranked up a bit. You do need to get cracking on railway pretty much as soon as you're done with green and red science though, because you'll be almost out of starting resources at that point. If you want to use more resources, just scale up your factory. If you've decided on a modest 120 science/minute (16 green science assemblers and slightly-less-than 14 red science ones), once you get to military science you'll need just over 4 full yellow belts of iron just to make 120 military science/minute, in addition to the one-belt-and-change you need for the green/red. You start to kinda want hundreds of steel furnaces pretty quickly.

For building lots of railway, I second FARL, the Fully Automated Rail Layer.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Tonight everything changed. I got a tank.

I drove around for like an hour blasting every nest for miles. I found a nice large open area (now bug free) to build my super base.

I have only started building the railyard. Thanks for the help goons!

Having an open area in which to build means I don't have the dilemma of building within my current footprint.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

dexefiend posted:

I drove around for like an hour blasting every nest for miles. I found a nice large open area (now bug free) to build my super base.

Having an open area in which to build means I don't have the dilemma of building within my current footprint.

Enjoy it while you can, next release they are dropping the bonus machine gun damage for the tank so it'll have to rely on shells again

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

M_Gargantua posted:

That would be the simple latch. The most common and useful of combinator combinations.

To make a latch you have a decider and an arithmetic. The decider output feeds into the arithmetic input and the arithmetic output feeds into the decider input. I use red wires for these, but the importance here is that the connection from what you’re measuring into the decider and the arithmetic output into the decider are on different colors. So wire the chests your measuring to it with green. The decider takes what your measuring and outputs 1 of something if the quantity is above/below your setpoint. I use signal ‘A’ most of the time so I’ll continue using it here but it only matters that it’s 1 of something. So here it would be set to output 1 ‘A’ if transport belts > 400. The inserter is then set to only run if ‘A’ = 0.

This creates an inserter that will run when belts are less than 400, but if that was all you wanted you could just do that with a direct connection. To make it latch is when that arithmetic feedback comes in. The arithmetic combinator must be set to output ‘A’ times the buffer quantity of items. If you want it to toggle at 100 then the buffer is 400-100= 300. So the Aritmetic takes A * 300 and outputs that number in transport belts. The decider adds the real number of belts on the green line with the phantom 300 on the red line. The inserter is stopped at this point and the decider thinks you actually have 700 belts, far above it’s setpoint of 400. It won’t start again until the real number of measured belts on green falls below 100, the 99+ 300 is now < 400 and the latch clears.

You can do the same thing with the inserter set to run if ‘A’ = 1, the decider set to transport belts < 100, and the arithmetic set to ‘A’ * negative 300. This is the same effect just with a “logic high” output (A = 1 vs A = 0 to enable)

Thanks this makes a lot more sense than the wiki.
Going to try that and some other builds tomorrow.
The circuit network works a little differently than I thought it did.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

dexefiend posted:

The game really changes once you get yourself a tank. The machine gun is already powerful, but don't discount those shells, they can annihilate hives like nobody's business. I remember laughing like a madman. "Who's got the unstoppable death force NOW, bugs?! Hahahahah!"

I need to get back into this game, but I want to wait for 0.17 to hit because that changes a lot of research stuff apparently. (military science packs no longer require turrets, but do require concrete? I...actually like that!)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Squibbles posted:

Enjoy it while you can, next release they are dropping the bonus machine gun damage for the tank so it'll have to rely on shells again

I'm quite sad about this nerf, to be honest.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

redleader posted:

I'm quite sad about this nerf, to be honest.

Are they making shells more useful at the same time?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
No. They think that the turret ends up beating out the cannon at a certain point of research or something like that. Don't have the FFF handy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Oh well. The tank will still be useful.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Jokes on them, the primary ammo my tank uses is repair packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squibbles posted:

Just toss grenades. The best part of the tank is that it isn't made of glass.