Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chortles posted:

There's also speculation about the depth of the Three Kingdoms strategic layer, especially when combined with the emphasis on characters.

Ever since Rome 2, CA have been walking the long road to realising that Complexity is Not Depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Alchenar posted:

Ever since Rome 2, CA have been walking the long road to realising that Complexity is Not Depth.

Yeah, exactly. A lot of complexity in total war can be boiled down to 'there's a somewhat obfuscated optimal strategy, and then a bunch of trap choices'. Once you figure that out you just end up with a bunch of busywork. The newer games with their streamlining are a lot better about giving you genuinely meaningful tradeoffs in decision making, or leveraging mechanics to try and make different factions play differently.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are any of the Rome 2 culture packs worth getting? They're on sale, so I'm thinking about picking something up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jimbot posted:

Are any of the Rome 2 culture packs worth getting? They're on sale, so I'm thinking about picking something up.

Ehh. Greek States are Spear Dudes and More Spear Dudes. Skippable.
Nomadic Tribes have really fun cavalry units.

I really like the mini campaigns for Caesar in Gaul and Hannibal. They're my favorite way to play the game

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On the subject of Rome 2. How do you counter the stacks of 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 Italian Spearmen the League love to make their armies out of as Rome? I'm doing a multiplayer game with a friend who hasn't played before and that's the biggest hurdle at the moment. I honestly can't remember how I defeated that poo poo. I think I did it because I had them blitz my settlement rather than attack theirs and through numbers and choke-points I defeated them but it's been a while.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 3, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
sword dudes beat spear dudes as a rule.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Zane posted:

sword dudes beat spear dudes as a rule.
This is still the case in Three Kingdoms as of EGX 2018's 'rule of five' presentation.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did they also change the way influence works in Rome 2 as well? I got the Desert Culture and trying out the Kush. Quite different than playing as Rome, that's for sure. But two of my generals got the "Likes Romans", so Latin has a +2 influence in my province but I have +16 Desert Nomad influence, but that culture keeps going down. It's at 85% now. Is this a bug?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If it works the way it does in Warhammer, those numbers no longer cancel out but instead factor into a formula which gives a final 'equilibrium' value that the total trends towards.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Even when the values are as skewed as they are?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Even when the values are as skewed as they are?

Even so, yeah. The more skewed the numbers the closer the equilibrium gets to 100% but if there is even 1 pt of a thing it'll never be zero.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, gotcha. I'm not upset about it or anything. I'm just trying to understand the formula. I still don't quite get it but at least I know it isn't a bug or anything.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Jimbot posted:

Ah, gotcha. I'm not upset about it or anything. I'm just trying to understand the formula. I still don't quite get it but at least I know it isn't a bug or anything.

The percentage of a culture is determined by the percentage of your influence compared to the total amount of influence in the province. As long as there's even one influence point from another culture in your province, it will never quite hit 100%. Even if you have 99 influence and they only have 1.

Examples:
Province A has 1 Desert Nomad influence and 0 Latin: the percentage will trend toward 100% Desert Nomad and 0% Latin
Province B has 3 Desert Nomad influence and 1 Latin: the percentage will trend toward 75% Desert Nomad and 25% Latin
Province C has 5 Desert Nomad influence, 3 Persian and 2 Latin: the percentage will trend toward 50% Desert Nomad, 30% Persian, and 20% Latin

Personally, if I get a general with the "Likes X" trait, they'll either be obliged by spending a lot of time outside my borders, or replaced with leader who doesn't engage in thoughtcrime.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In Rome 2, is there a way to set it so auto-save has different slots like in Shogun 2?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Rome 2 question: I just noticed provinces can belong to different political factions. Can I change this in any way? Because Rome belongs to my faction but Magna Grecia doesn't and I assume this has to do with Rome's Realm Divide equivalent

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Anyone else played divide et impera lately?

I found the latest battle changes made it incredibly hard to actually kill things but I haven't played a lot.
Cavalry in particular seems much less effective.

Its kinda reverted to a similar balance it had way back when, now skirmishers firing into the rear seem to be the only way to kill people.
The balance I enjoyed was when shock cav reigned supreme, haven't checked them out yet but the Roman cavalry are basically useless.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I completely surrounded a regular rear end hoplite phalanx with hastati and I only killed around 30 or so after a couple minutes of combat. It's pretty rough.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rome 2 gets out of hand with the negative trait assignments, to be honest. I was on the warpath with the Kush. Egypt really didn't stand a chance since they decided to go to war with half the world and I just took their entire home province within a few turns. It was a sweeping victory. Of course, since the place is unstable, I decided to park my generals in the cities to pacify the population and build out the structures. Two turns later I get a negative trait "Lazy" for my Queen who conquered all of the Egyptian province in two turns. A turn after that another one, for one of my generals.

Compared to Shogun 2 where you really had to park your rear end in a town for several turns, in a place with a tavern and geishas before your general got the sleazeball trait. Maybe it just feels accelerated because it's four turns per year instead of the default half year. Either way, it's really punishing. Having them march around doesn't seem to help either.

By the way, Kush are incredibly great. It bothers me that they have a slave economy but their beginner units are incredibly cheap and you can have fat stacks of them and overwhelm entire armies but pay next to nothing for upkeep - they're the Oda of the early game. Then they get their Kushite Archers which have to be the best ranged unit in the game. They completely decimate units before they even reach your line. Throw in some Shotel Swordsmen on the flanks, an army made of the Nubean Spearmen and some Elephants to protect the flanks then you have an army composition that'd rival Romes broken unit roster.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 7, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Three Kingdoms is out in March and all they're releasing is character posters.

By comparison, Imperator: Rome, which was announced months after Three Kingdoms and still has no release date, has hours of unedited footage you can watch.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Paradox is pretty unusual for how transparent they make prerelease (and development in general), CA not following that isn't weird at all.

Also Imperator Rome is getting raked over the coals because of that unedited alpha footage so

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Both Warhammers definitely had more gameplay footage two months before release than 3K is getting.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

VERY excited to play the new total war game 5 months after launch after the major bugs are ironed out

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Warhammer 1 worked pretty well right out of the box, hopefully lightning can strike twice?

I dont remember if Warhammer 2 had major problems at launch since I bought it long after launch.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Warhammer 2 was great straight away.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Three Kingdoms looks pretty at least, they could really bring it home by adding some battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjifFxOx6k

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm dumb and getting Three Kingdoms on release, because I'm a sucker for the setting.

I fully expect it to be the regular terrible CA launch. Suppose I just have to blindly hope it isn't a REALLY terrible game launch on par with Rome 2.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm gonna get it because I'm a sucker for a video game adaptation of Ancient Chinese history that isn't full Japanese Bishie Anime People. But c'mon CA, give us a simple, unscripted battle.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I just hope that it doesn't have massive territories with army stances. I was playing Rome 2 multiplayer with a friend and I spent 3 turns trying to chase down the one last final army of the faction I was at war with. Every time I'd get close, they'd force march and end up miles away and it was just what in the flying gently caress. It was incredibly frustrating. It made me pine for Shogun 2 territory where such frustrating nonsense was extremely rare and hard to do.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Do we know if they'll be doing anything cool with the battle system? Like simulating individual soldiers and maybe not having every battle just be blob vs blob?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What do you mean? It's still a formations game. Generals act as single unit hero characters in Romance mode, however.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm dumb and getting Three Kingdoms on release, because I'm a sucker for the setting.

I fully expect it to be the regular terrible CA launch. Suppose I just have to blindly hope it isn't a REALLY terrible game launch on par with Rome 2.

You could always just wait like a day or two after release to find out if it's dogshit or not. We live in the world of digital games, it's not like they're gonna run out.

I remember everyone falling over themselves about how great Rome 2 was gonna be. And then it released lol

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
That, and the Yellow Turban Rebellion DLC is actually a first-week-buyer/key-activation bonus, not a preorder bonus; I'm not aware of any digital-only preorder bonuses as opposed to preordering the Limited or Collector's Editions.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

You could always just wait like a day or two after release to find out if it's dogshit or not. We live in the world of digital games, it's not like they're gonna run out.

I remember everyone falling over themselves about how great Rome 2 was gonna be. And then it released lol

It always takes a week after a CA/PDX game release for people to work out if the game is broken or not.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the yellow turban dlc existing makes me not want to buy it :/. its pretty bullshit when any company does it but its especially bullshit when a company with CAs record of bad launches does it

Alchenar posted:

It always takes a week after a CA/PDX game release for people to work out if the game is broken or not.

yeah its not like bf where its immediately obvious that :dice: did :dice: things, it takes that long to learn how the new game works

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My main hope for 3K is the turn times not being awful. Even throbs are pretty bad considering how basic it is, not having any agents etc.
I have basically never played Mortal Empires because of the huge turns and have to make do with mods that add the old factions to the small vortex campaign in War2. It sucks.

Koramei posted:

Also Imperator Rome is getting raked over the coals because of that unedited alpha footage so

What's wrong with it? I'm interested but haven't followed it at all

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

What's wrong with it? I'm interested but haven't followed it at all

Not much for a game that's not even out of alpha yet, which is kinda the point--people scrutinize it a ridiculous amount when you reveal so much when it's not ready yet.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Blooming Brilliant posted:

CA Launches ever since Empire seem to be a bit of a crapshoot between being fine and playable versus a complete trainwreck. Really, I think all their major releases after R2 have been in pretty good shape (even if Attila and Thrones didn't turn out to catch everyone's interest), but goddrat did they drop that ball right on their toes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Koramei posted:

Not much for a game that's not even out of alpha yet, which is kinda the point--people scrutinize it a ridiculous amount when you reveal so much when it's not ready yet.

I mean we've got nothing better to do, most of the non warham modding scene is dead.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
On the other hand, we're supposed to get spies video next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean we've got nothing better to do, most of the non warham modding scene is dead.

I reinstalled Attila now that I have a computer that can run it and the top subscribed mod is just a thing that says “UPDATE ATTILA TOTAL WAR” lol

Anyway I’ve never actually done a real Attila campaign because I found the systems frustrating and the turn times were nuts on my computer, but I wanna try it again. Should I start with the grand campaign before doing age of Charlemagne and is there a good starting faction? I have the complete edition with all the DLC