Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
I don't know how Lucas, Bay, and Snyder make whole movies without thinking, but that is some Zen master poo poo.

Buddha be going to these guys for lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

but if the republic is trump i thought snoke was trump???

Republic is first-term Trump

Snoke is second-term Trump

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Weavered posted:

You guys are certainly putting a lot more thought into this than Lucas ever did.

The Republic, all humans apart from the ugly or overly pale ones and a few cute looking alien things = good

Open enemies of the republic (for whatever reason), any ugly humans and all non-cute or non-sexualised aliens = bad

Star Wars is Trumps America gone galactic.

Wild how directors are just able to not put thought into anything and then create movies that people talk about 40 years later

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The smart thing to do is to keep the politics and religious/spiritual aspects of your film vague enough that audiences can fill in the blanks with whatever they want.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

If only Lucas had been smart enough to make his perspective on politics more overt by having the protagonist introduced at a slave auction or have a character say "so this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause", then we might know something

(people being so beyond parody up their asses about hating george lucas to the point of thinking that he's some sort of bumbling idiot who stumbled into making his movies by sheer happenstance will always be the most incredible thing about star war internet discussions)

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 30, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

If only Lucas had been smart enough to make his perspective on politics more overt by having the protagonist introduced at a slave auction or have a character say "so this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause", then we might know something

(people being so beyond parody up their asses about hating george lucas to the point of thinking that he's some sort of bumbling idiot who stumbled into making his movies by sheer happenstance will always be the most incredible thing about star war internet discussions)

plug in your monitor, george

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Knowing when and how to be ambiguous implies precisely the opposite, though. Surely it's a sign of artistic maturity to consistently create art where alternative views can be taken without misreading it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Trump is a protectionist who wants to implement a trade war to benefit his wealthy friends and the Republic is a protectionist state which taxes trade routes to try and starve impoverished non-human minorities into obedience: therefore, the Republic = Trump = protectionist = xenophobic = evil. Seems fairly straightforward to me.

The key difference is that the Roman Catholics (Jedi) are in full support of the Republic with the exception of some Protestant dissenters (Dooku, to some extent Qui-Gon, who states that he will resign from the Jedi Order so he can train Anakin, essentially nailing his theses to the door of the cathedral) whereas Roman Catholics are more equivocal about Trump in real life.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 30, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

The fight for Lucas’ integrity continues

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Regardless if every line of dialog, every shot, every set design piece exists as pure accident the sum total of the film is read cleanly this way. If it is chance, that chance outcome still ended up saying this and it being chance doesnt say it any less.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

but if the republic is trump i thought snoke was trump???

Everything is Trump. You think that's air you're breathing?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sponges posted:

The fight for Lucas’ integrity continues

I'm sorry you don't like his movies OP

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think American Graffiti is better than most of the Star Wars movies except A New Hope. I think it's really a bit of a shame that Lucas's career became so dominated by Star Wars that he didn't really direct anything else because I'd be very interested in seeing something else he directed. I reckon he would turn out some interesting stuff as a director of animated movies, for instance.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think American Graffiti is better than most of the Star Wars movies except A New Hope. I think it's really a bit of a shame that Lucas's career became so dominated by Star Wars that he didn't really direct anything else because I'd be very interested in seeing something else he directed. I reckon he would turn out some interesting stuff as a director of animated movies, for instance.

Red tails?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think he directed that one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon he would turn out some interesting stuff as a director of animated movies, for instance.

Just like the PT

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm sorry you don't like his movies OP

I’ll be ok.

OP!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think he directed that one.

I think there was a thought when it came out that he ghost directed a lot of it, but I don’t know how true that is.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

"only a sith deals in absolutes" perfectly encapsulates obi wan's hypocrisy by the way

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

celewign posted:

Red tails?

only the producer https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/?ref_=nv_sr_1

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Zas posted:

"only a sith deals in absolutes" perfectly encapsulates obi wan's hypocrisy by the way

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rey is Luke's daughter

search your feelings, you know it to be true

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s what the dumb people wanted

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rey is an amalgamation of Anakin and Luke's genes that requires sand and at least 10 years on a hot dangerous desert planet to grow properly

Once they finish maturing, they get a desire to get off their planet and stick their nose in Rebel vs Empire shenanigans

Highly likely to lose a limb or turn to the dark side

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

hell yeh

https://twitter.com/makingstarwars/status/1079974773805834240

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Should we expect a new teaser during Super Bowl?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

Should we expect a new teaser during Super Bowl?

A 30-second spot during the Super Bowl (probably with the title reveal), and then a full trailer with Avengers 4 sounds plausible to me.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So current theory floating around is that Leia's part in Episode 9 will involve using the potentially shot footage of the Sledgehammer from Force Awakens. It was a plotline being mapped out for the attack on Starkiller Base but later scrapped by JJ. You can see production design artwork for it in the TFA concept art book. Basically the Resistance had developed a hardened ship capable of punching through and destroying Star Destroyers. Eventually Hux would fire Starkiller on it and the FO ships in orbit to destroy it. Makingstarwars had spoilers on it fairly early on and it seemed part of the plot for some time, so it was possibly filmed.

Definitely shades of the Suncrusher. It could potentially be an interesting concept to play with, in so far as you could have the good guys utilizing a super weapon in the series finally. I could easily see that footage reworked as an attack on the main FO fleet or main base world.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I wouldn’t be surprised if they waited until Celebration in April for the first trailer. If I remember correctly, that’s when the trailer for The Last Jedi dropped.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sounds like a pointless retread of TLJ. "Hey want to see even more ships smash into each other because we're lazy and completely bankrupt of ideas?!"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Teek posted:

So current theory floating around is that Leia's part in Episode 9 will involve using the potentially shot footage of the Sledgehammer from Force Awakens. It was a plotline being mapped out for the attack on Starkiller Base but later scrapped by JJ. You can see production design artwork for it in the TFA concept art book. Basically the Resistance had developed a hardened ship capable of punching through and destroying Star Destroyers. Eventually Hux would fire Starkiller on it and the FO ships in orbit to destroy it. Makingstarwars had spoilers on it fairly early on and it seemed part of the plot for some time, so it was possibly filmed.

Definitely shades of the Suncrusher. It could potentially be an interesting concept to play with, in so far as you could have the good guys utilizing a super weapon in the series finally. I could easily see that footage reworked as an attack on the main FO fleet or main base world.

this would be very bad. leia is going to be cgi and this is their cover.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

this would be very bad. leia is going to be cgi and this is their cover.

They’ve straight up they’re not doing that. Like, maybe they’re lying, but why? It would just make the blowback worse.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand your point. It's explicitly about using footage they probably DO have.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

At best, I would imagine they do some touching-up here and there to make it not completely obvious that the Leia footage is being lifted from two other films.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Cross-Section posted:

At best, I would imagine they do some touching-up here and there to make it not completely obvious that the Leia footage is being lifted from two other films.

Would be hilarious if it straight up went from day / night and vice versa every time it cut to a scene with her.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

thrawn527 posted:

They’ve straight up they’re not doing that. Like, maybe they’re lying, but why? It would just make the blowback worse.

negative blowback before the film comes out is worse to disney than blowback when those people have already gone to see episode nine and therefore disney already has their money. like, that's why.

i'm sure disney is just going to jam footage of leia talking about the sledgehammer and ramming star destroyers into it -- what was going to be the climax of TFA -- into episode 9. this makes sense. this is in no way damage control.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Disney is going to get negative blow back regardless of what they do for Episode 9.

The best thing they can do at this point is to just Half Life 3 it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah. Make the movie. Keep making the TLJ people mad. gently caress 'em. They can watch something else.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am incredibly hype for animatronic Carrie Fisher.

They’ll put her in the Hall of Presidents afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

make leia a muppet