Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Is there any established lore or scenarios regarding the Spanish Civil War? I can't find all that much even though it seems like it would have a lot of potential as a setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
DG friendlies in the International Brigades fight Nazi cultists embedded in the Condor Legion kind of thing? Been done a hundred times I am sure, but fun pulpy stuff is fun.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Soldiers of Pen and Ink for Trail of Cthulhu is a Spanish Civil War scenario.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
We were talking about this on the Night at the Opera discord maybe a month ago: Several factions on the Republican side really hated the Catholic church, plundering and destroying maybe 20,000 churches, cathedrals and tombs throughout the war.

So the players go out into the very rural countryside to knock over a church that the local lore says is full of hidden treasure and priceless artifacts. They find it guarded by a mixture of strange clerics and half-insane Fascist paramilitaries. It's only after they break through the defenses and get to the crypt beneath that they realize the horrible truth:

The Nationalists weren't trying to keep anyone out, they were trying to keep something else in

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So Limetown is back after three years and I JUST realized that it's perfect Delta Green stuff even if there's no supernatural component.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I assume this hasn't been posted yet? https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Tentacles5

Pretty cool bundle, at least Things we leave behind is worth the minimum price. The second Stygian book you get in the higher tier is full of very short scenarios (and one long adventure), what I've skimmed so far looks good (Quachil Uttaus!)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fellas is it racist to have the Basque language be developed from ancient Hyperborean? Like there was a small number of refugees that took over the local neolithic tribes and the result was a new language totally unrelated to Europe's families?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kavak posted:

Fellas is it racist to have the Basque language be developed from ancient Hyperborean? Like there was a small number of refugees that took over the local neolithic tribes and the result was a new language totally unrelated to Europe's families?

a little but nobody's going to mind unless you're playing with people from the region. You could just make something up if you're concerned.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kavak posted:

Why does it have to be a new language? Declare that Basque is a dialect of Hyperborean and if you can speak Basque (and read the script) you can read Hyperborean ancient tomes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

Why does it have to be a new language? Declare that Basque is a dialect of Hyperborean and if you can speak Basque (and read the script) you can read Hyperborean ancient tomes.

I assume things would've drifted over the aeons to the point where there's similarities but they're not truly intelligible, like Old English and modern English. Also Basque uses the Latin alphabet.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Also Basque has no (living) relatives. It's the last surviving pre-Indo-European language.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Delta Green Shotgun Scenario Contest is live. Using a much better voting system than before.

http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-contest-announcement

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

LatwPIAT posted:

I've been looking at these on and off for most of the day:

I keep thinking about how they could be used in a Mythos game where the players explore a location. Possibly almost D&D dungeoncrawl-like, with the players running around a maze of twisty passages, all alike and trying to make sense of things. Either in exploring a Joseph Curwen-style basement or in exploring a strange dimension like R'lyeh.

Seems almost like you could combine it with a hypercube idea

in order to create a setup that is internally consistent but really hard to track mentally in your head. The rppr guys did a burner scenario that leveraged one, and while the repeating variations of a single room was great you don't exactly have to hold to that, just make sure you've got the number of connections for each room and keep careful track of where they are.

Been playing cultist simulator a decent amount lately, and a lot of the writing seems like it'd be really solid to seed scenario ideas from. My group had some people move so don't have people to play with, but having an intro scenario be "go investigate this commune" with 1 agent+friendlies, along with these instructions would be great. Make the actual thing going on be whatever makes sense for you or the campaign you're planning. Leave it up to the agent to explain to the other players why they need to follow these rules, but make sure the friendlies have solid reasons to do a favor to the program.

code:
Report dreams of moonlight.
Report dreams of a night-bound forest.
Draw back your curtains to be woken by the sun.
Do not cut your hair before you sleep.
Do not sleep before a cracked mirror.
edit: thought about it some more last night, it'd be great to split the instructions for after a check-in. So they start with just the first two, if they call before bed he gives them the 3rd, and calls after sleeping once give the last two.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 18, 2018

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
My Masks reprint showed up today. I may never actually run it, but there it will sit on my shelf.

It's pretty impressive really. Split up into 2 hardcovers, some crazy art throughout, details on playing as Pulp or normal 7e. Came with something like 100 pages of handouts and maps all printed out and ready to go.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ritorix posted:

My Masks reprint showed up today. I may never actually run it, but there it will sit on my shelf.

It's pretty impressive really. Split up into 2 hardcovers, some crazy art throughout, details on playing as Pulp or normal 7e. Came with something like 100 pages of handouts and maps all printed out and ready to go.

Yeah, it's nice. I'm thrilled to finally have the hard copy so I'm not trying to jump back & forth in the .pdf while running it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I am so keen to get that, but it's like 200 bucks delivered to my country. How are the handouts and DM screen?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Happy to take some pictures later today/tomorrow if it'd help

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
More DG content

SCENARIOS

Pearls of Wisdom - 1963 - Agents smuggle artifacts out of Xá Lợi Pagoda, ahead of the Diem government’s raids

The Fifth Head of CHRYSALIS - A vacation to the Dominican Republic conceals a dirty secret

Hot Air - Florida man robs 7-Eleven, eats 20 hot dogs, melts into a puddle

CUSTOM PROFESSIONS

Tanker - Exploit Delta Green’s laughably broken vehicle ramming rules by running over Dread Cthulhu with an Abrams for 120% lethality

NPCS

Archimedes “Arch” Brabrand - Case Officer who can get you off the hook, for a price

Dr Genosha Geller - The Program’s Head Head-louse

THREATS

Crawling Chaos, I’m CIA - A trio of CIA operatives plot a coup to install a USA friendly Moon Beast government in the Dreamlands

The Lovefeast Mennonites - An insular Anabaptist community in rural Manitoba teaches its members to love the skin they’re in.

All posted to my DG page

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mellonbread posted:

Tanker - Exploit Delta Green’s laughably broken vehicle ramming rules by running over Dread Cthulhu with an Abrams for 120% lethality

Great now I want to do a oneshot where it's Fury but set in and around a mobility killed Abrams and against monsters and cultists in a dusty Central Asian fartbox.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Great now I want to do a oneshot where it's Fury but set in and around a mobility killed Abrams and against monsters and cultists in a dusty Central Asian fartbox.

You write it I'll run it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Owlbear Camus posted:

There's an "Atomic Cthulhu" scenario with this premise, albeit set in the Korean war and with significantly less milspec tacops.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How much/little would a MJ-6 subproject know about the people above them? Would they (Or at least the guy in charge) know the terms Pluto, MJ-6, MAJESTIC, etc.?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Kavak posted:

How much/little would a MJ-6 subproject know about the people above them? Would they (Or at least the guy in charge) know the terms Pluto, MJ-6, MAJESTIC, etc.?

Beyond what's relevant to whatever's being researched, I'd assume most of the people working on the subproject would know next to nothing about the truth. They're probably just told a highly rationalized version of what they're researching and given a bunch of explicit and implicit threats about keeping their mouths shut. However, that doesn't mean there aren't "office gossip" that hint towards what's going (i.e. seemingly high-powered or influential people randomly asking the researchers questions, hushed brags about what happened when whoever "messed around with" whatever's being researched).

Edit: What it really comes down to is how dangerous whatever's being researched is expected to be and whether it's for the public's or Majestic's use.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 13, 2018

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

mellonbread posted:

Crawling Chaos, I’m CIA - A trio of CIA operatives plot a coup to install a USA friendly Moon Beast government in the Dreamlands

This is funny as hell

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I'm not sure if this is the right place for it but BBC Radio 4 recently put out a modern-day adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward in the style of a true crime podcast, and it's extremely worth listening to if you can get access: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06t51fv.
I particularly liked the way they embedded the plot into 20th century occultism instead of 19th century!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, besides the stuff in the quick start rules, what would be good to run for a first time keeper and players?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

xanthan posted:

So, besides the stuff in the quick start rules, what would be good to run for a first time keeper and players?
Chaosium just released a complete $25 starter box set that seems like the perfect answer to this question: https://www.chaosium.com/call-of-cthulhu-starter-set/

quote:

nside This Box

Book 1: Introduction and Alone Against The Flames—a solo introductory adventure, teaching you the basics of Call of Cthulhu as you play through a mystery.
Book 2: Call of Cthulhu Starter Rules—the essential rules, everything needed for starting play.
Book 3: Adventures—three starter adventures for your players to explore.
Ready to Play Investigators—five ready to play game characters.
Blank Investigator Sheets—ready for creating your own investigators.
Roleplaying Dice – a set of six polyhedral dice for use in the game.
Player Handouts – a set of ready to use props.

Adventures!

This box comes packed with four classic adventures for over twenty hours of game play.

Alone Against The Flames
Paper Chase
Edge of Darkness
Dead Man Stomp

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

That is dope af. I'm snagging the hell out that. Thank you!!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

drat that's cool. Little starter sets like that are great!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a pretty fun movie up on Netflix right now called Gehenna. It's not explicitly mythos-related, but it ticks a suspicious amount of the boxes you'd see in a Call of Cthulhu adventure.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

moths posted:

There's a pretty fun movie up on Netflix right now called Gehenna. It's not explicitly mythos-related, but it ticks a suspicious amount of the boxes you'd see in a Call of Cthulhu adventure.

I'm watching it now and actively turning it into a one-shot in my head.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
I'm hoping to run a campaign set in either UK or Canada just after WW2. Initial conceit for the players is this is gonna be a noir-detective campaign with lots of gangs and cops and poo poo, but I'm gonna try to introduce creepy poo poo slowly. Hoping to use the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset unless y'all know anything more appropriate. If you know any 1940s/50s adventures (either Mythos, paranormal or mundane) I'm all ears.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Kafka Syrup posted:

I'm hoping to run a campaign set in either UK or Canada just after WW2. Initial conceit for the players is this is gonna be a noir-detective campaign with lots of gangs and cops and poo poo, but I'm gonna try to introduce creepy poo poo slowly. Hoping to use the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset unless y'all know anything more appropriate. If you know any 1940s/50s adventures (either Mythos, paranormal or mundane) I'm all ears.

You could something about an outlaw biker gang founded by WWII veterans who found some Nazi occult stuff. Might be a bit anachronistic since I don't think bikers had the connection to neo-nazis back then like they do now, but it definitely fits the canon enough.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I feel like the 50s is a little early for neo-nazis considering there were still actual nazis running around

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MizPiz posted:

You could something about an outlaw biker gang founded by WWII veterans who found some Nazi occult stuff. Might be a bit anachronistic since I don't think bikers had the connection to neo-nazis back then like they do now, but it definitely fits the canon enough.

The bikers themselves wouldn't have to be Nazis. They could just as easily be vets who miss the thrill of combat and the personal power they held flying fighters and bombers, and are looking to recreate that utalizing occult artifacts while maybe making some extra cash on the side (this is the actual history of many real biker gangs, including Hell's Angels, if you replace 'occult artifacts' with drugs)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Don’t let people be surprised by the genre of a campaign.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I feel like the 50s is a little early for neo-nazis considering there were still actual nazis running around

Sadly, those actual nazis were busy creating neo-nazis.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The American Nazi Party was founded in 1959. American Neo-Nazis are kind of originally a response to the Civil Rights Movement in a sense if you have to look for a cause outside of them being garbage people.

EDIT:

For clarification, Neo-Nazis in America weren't originally some kind of Apt Pupil situation, they were founded by extreme anti-communists who deep dived into fascist literature. George Lincoln Rockwell pretty much came up with American Nazism on his own through his far right beliefs taking him into fascist and anti-Semitic literature. All of this is part of the conservative backlash to the collapse of Jim Crow, the Civil Rights Movement, and the decline of traditional institutions in the postwar years.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 4, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Golden Bee posted:

I think with the right Dungeon Master I'd be delighted by the surprise and having a tonal shift breadcrumbed out like that. I'm totally down to be Dusk Till Dawned. I think it would be important to know your audience, though, and have a reasonable expectation they like both genres you're sliding the fader bar between.

Reminds me how I want to run a game set in the Aliens universe where the players are all Colonial Marines or plausible civilian support characters, send them off on the classic Colony Distress mission assuming it's the ol' face huggy bois, but (long story short) turns out it's a Predator or three. Not quite as big a tonal shift obvs.

IDK what system to use for it, maybe nWoD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Golden Bee posted:

Using the Trail of Cthulhu rules is a pretty big genre clue, but this is good advice.

Bikers with artefact sounds good enough, without involving neo-nazis. The artefact might just be some odd "good luck charm" a guy found in a German bunker and has carried around since, without any knowledge of its mythos significance.

You could probably tie it into the amulet from The Hound, if you wanted to go directly Lovecraft.