Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sitting on the couch dicking around with gear and discovered first hand why back-clipping is bad so that’s good I suppose

I really need to get back into regular climbing after holiday bullshit though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

SavageBastard posted:

Last year, after months on the couch, I started getting into the gym a ton and climbing regularly. By summer I was climbing 5.11 (outdoor) sport routes consistently and making fair attempts at 5.12's on 90 degree humid days. I couldn't wait for the temps to drop so I could start real projects. Unfortunately, just before the weather turned, I came down with a brutal case of medial epicondylitis and possibly chronic compartment syndrome in my forearms (never got it formally checked out). I retrospect, the signs were there and I just chalked it up to training pains. I promptly took a week off hoping it would resolve, which then turned into 2 weeks and now over 4 months. I think I'm ready to start easing back into the gym and I bought some elastic bands to start working on my forearm extensor muscles and whatnot in hopes of staving off a repeat. I'm getting kind of old (40's) so obviously I'm at greater risk for this kind of thing.

Does anyone have any experience with climbing hard but staving these injuries off? I've obviously looked into a variety of advice resources available on the web but I'd love to hear people's tales and suggestions.

Thanks.

Are you doing antagonist exercises regularly? I find that to make a huge difference.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

interrodactyl posted:

Are you doing antagonist exercises regularly? I find that to make a huge difference.

^^^^ This - do pushups regularly, or preferably dips if you have a dip bar. Also get a Theraband FlexBar and do the twist exercise they suggest with it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Kinda on topic, does anyone have a link to a good exercise program that I can run while climbing two to three times a week? I want to sign up for a climbing gym but I don't want to get skinnier / ignore my legs by having all my excercise be just climbing.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

interrodactyl posted:

What specifically do you find most helpful?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spikes32 posted:

Kinda on topic, does anyone have a link to a good exercise program that I can run while climbing two to three times a week? I want to sign up for a climbing gym but I don't want to get skinnier / ignore my legs by having all my excercise be just climbing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910&perpage=40

I do Program 2 the twice a week version just to have some lifting thrown in each week. I’m usually at the gym 4 times a week so two lifting days with some climbing tacked on at the end.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910&perpage=40

I do Program 2 the twice a week version just to have some lifting thrown in each week. I’m usually at the gym 4 times a week so two lifting days with some climbing tacked on at the end.

So this looks like a good two day program that's complete on its own. Is there value to searching for a program that seeks to specifically address the muscle imbalances that climbing creates instead of a general program in addition to climbing? I appreciate the link and will happily run this one if there's not a big enough reason to try and find one.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Re tendonitis, I'm also old as poo poo in climbing terms and have had to deal with this too. Don't forget downclimbing - fit it in to each day. Like for ever 3-4 routes you do, try and downclimb 1

Boner Pill Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 31, 2018

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

SavageBastard posted:

What specifically do you find most helpful?

Push ups, dips, reverse wrist curls, and shoulder presses. I do them on my off days.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Boner Pill Connoisseur posted:

Re tendonitis, I'm also old as poo poo in climbing terms and have had to deal with this too. Don't forget downclimbing - fit it in to each day. Like for ever 3-4 routes you do, try and downclimb 1

Can you explain how this is helpful regarding tendonitis? Seems like it would work the same muscles the same way just going downwards similarly to how people do negatives before they can do a full pull up. I imagine there's something I'm missing?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

AriTheDog posted:

Can you explain how this is helpful regarding tendonitis? Seems like it would work the same muscles the same way just going downwards similarly to how people do negatives before they can do a full pull up. I imagine there's something I'm missing?

Eccentric/negative exercises are specifically recommended to heal/strengthen tendons.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

more small potatoes, but I climbed the fastest I think I ever have on a c. 60' 10a and it took me from falling off an overhang on the first attempt to crushing it in like a minute flat including a shakeout on the second go-around

I feel good even if I also fell like two feet from the end of another 10a

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009

Tippecanoe posted:

Eccentric/negative exercises are specifically recommended to heal/strengthen tendons.

I'm pretty sure they're already damaged in tendonitis, usually because of overuse and imbalance between flexors and extensors (climbers are more prone to medial epicondylitis because that's where your finger flexors attach too). Doing very light eccentric exercises are possibly beneficial but most people are just going to gently caress up their tendons more by downclimbing.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

crazycello posted:

I'm pretty sure they're already damaged in tendonitis, usually because of overuse and imbalance between flexors and extensors (climbers are more prone to medial epicondylitis because that's where your finger flexors attach too). Doing very light eccentric exercises are possibly beneficial but most people are just going to gently caress up their tendons more by downclimbing.

I agree with this. Rice bucket, reverse curls, the hammer or band pronation exercise, all will be more effective at treating the tendonitis referenced earlier.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 10, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whoo, cleaned my first 10c tonight and it felt totally doable

I kinda feel like I haven't been pushing myself enough, I've had this mentality where I feel the need to do like every 5.9, every 10a, etc. before I 'move up'

hopped on a new 10b/c immediately after and pumped out, it felt pretty achievable though if I hit it fresh and approached some of the moves a little better

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I took a break from climbing over the holidays; after a two and a half week hiatus I BOMBED at the gym. I felt clumsy, I back-clipped, I barely had any strength to make it up, and burned out quickly.

Usually for biking or running I can jump back in. for climbing I sucked. Is this a phenonemon for newbs (I started lead climbing over the summer) or it is typical for any climber?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I generally have the opposite happen. I will be climbing hard but getting burn out. 2 weeks off and I come back crushing.

You will be fine though. Just get back out there.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I took a break from climbing over the holidays; after a two and a half week hiatus I BOMBED at the gym. I felt clumsy, I back-clipped, I barely had any strength to make it up, and burned out quickly.

Usually for biking or running I can jump back in. for climbing I sucked. Is this a phenonemon for newbs (I started lead climbing over the summer) or it is typical for any climber?

Anecdotally for me, its depended on where the length of years in my climbing life.

Early on I would experience what you have; nowadays after more than two weeks off I come back with strength, but the endurance is awful.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyone going to Hueco Rodeo this year?

https://americanalpineclub.org/hrr/

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I had a terrible time at the gym today after my holiday break, but I'm gonna put it down to being tired from yoga earlier today + just not eating enough before exercise. I will try again Wednesday.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've been climbing for many years and this still happens to me. After a one week break I generally don't notice much loss of fitness, but after anything longer I usually have 1 or 2 pretty terrible sessions and then I'm right back to where I left off. Probably doesn't help that most of my >1 week breaks coincide with holiday feasts... but yeah, point being, lower your expectations for those first couple sessions back but a relatively short break like that almost certainly won't impact your fitness or progression in any meaningful way over time

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
20 days off.

I got my rear end kicked day 1 back.

Some of the problems I approached, I had previously cleared (and some flashed). I couldn't send some. I took multiple tries to do others.

This was mostly due to my loving hands. I simply couldn't maintain grip, either through lost strength.

I do, however, like to blame my idiot shoes. They sat in my bag the entire time I went to England, in a ziplock so they wouldn't stink everything up. Never went climbing. When I put them on after returning they were loving slimy on the inside and slippery (think wet moss near moving water). Real loving gross.

Now I'm shopping around for dif shoes, because goddamn.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I do, however, like to blame my idiot shoes. They sat in my bag the entire time I went to England, in a ziplock so they wouldn't stink everything up. Never went climbing. When I put them on after returning they were loving slimy on the inside and slippery (think wet moss near moving water). Real loving gross.

oh man something like that happened with my shoes too. they were in my day pack with a bottle of apple cider that had one of those wine bottle plugs in it. evidently these don't withstand any sort of pressure, and it burst in my bag. of course my shell jacket didn't absorb a drop, but my shoes got a good spray of it. holy fUK they were so slippery for like an entire bouldering session.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao drop em off at an elementary school so they have a good exhibit on bacteria growth and good conditions that let it thrive.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, never leave your sweaty shoes in an airtight container, next time tie them to the outside of your bag or something

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I spray my shoes with lysol as soon as I get home - it works great.

Dear goons, please lose weight. I have dropped 15 lbs since the beginning of November and it has had a bigger impact on my climbing than any training I've tried.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
nvm

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 15, 2019

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

armorer posted:

^^^^ This - do pushups regularly, or preferably dips if you have a dip bar. Also get a Theraband FlexBar and do the twist exercise they suggest with it.

Make sure you have somebody checking your form on the dips and pushups! They can be as terrible as they can be great if you have any predisposition towards forward rotated shoulders, rotator cuff injuries or impingement syndrome - and many climbers do.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Electoral Surgery posted:

I spray my shoes with lysol as soon as I get home - it works great.

Dear goons, please lose weight. I have dropped 15 lbs since the beginning of November and it has had a bigger impact on my climbing than any training I've tried.

i also did this exact same weight loss in this exact same timeframe, but i feel about the same

edit: that said, i dropped from 210 to 195 which is somewhat likely to be a smaller fraction of my weight than you

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 17, 2019

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Verviticus posted:

i also did this exact same weight loss in this exact same timeframe, but i feel about the same

edit: that said, i dropped from 210 to 195 which is somewhat likely to be a smaller fraction of my weight than you

I'm on track to do something similar; I've lost 7 pounds since late Dec (212 to 205). Yay to losing weight in order to climb harder.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm working there with other chonks. Trying to go from 198 back to 170ish, eventually. That will take awhile, but at least I'm back to 193.

Also I bouldered the other day for the first time in awhile, as I've just been top roping. I flashed 2 new v3s and cleaned another, which was new for me. I am now sore and reminded I need to boulder way more.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 17, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm just starting week 6 of an 8-12 week break (I go back when my doctor says it's ok) and gently caress I want to climb something so much it hurts aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

On the plus side I've recovered enough now that I can do some training but it's really loving boring doing nothing but pure arm exercises

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm just starting week 6 of an 8-12 week break (I go back when my doctor says it's ok) and gently caress I want to climb something so much it hurts aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

On the plus side I've recovered enough now that I can do some training but it's really loving boring doing nothing but pure arm exercises

I feel you buddy. I haven't climbed since December 19th... Hopefully back to easy climbing on April 1st!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've lost 15 pounds in 6 months. While it has made certain types of problems easier, it has also had a very noticeable effect on my energy levels. I get tired way faster for example.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good job guys. I can basically only way around so I am getting fat...........

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
190 to 180, can't tell if my strength improved or if I'm just hauling less.

Either way, I'm getting better and have surprised myself by flashing a few V4s (though rarely).

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Before rupturing ACL: fat, sending 5.10a
8 months after surgery (no climbing the entire time): lost 20# and sending...5.9. I worked back up to where I was in about a week.

Maybe this is the year of 5.11, who knows.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

enraged_camel posted:

I've lost 15 pounds in 6 months. While it has made certain types of problems easier, it has also had a very noticeable effect on my energy levels. I get tired way faster for example.

i think im really lucky, because even when i was on a 1000 cal deficit (for the first couple weeks i was trying to lose ~2lb a week) if anything i had more energy. now im around -400 calories and im still probably better than i was before i started losing weight

kinda excited to see if going back to eating maintenance at 190 is going to increase my energy or what

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I was a solid V4/5 climber at 195.

Training for a year and dropping to 170 put me in V9 range.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

gamera009 posted:

I was a solid V4/5 climber at 195.

Training for a year and dropping to 170 put me in V9 range.

:iiam:

No it's not. There are two ways to hold tiny things: stronger tendons or reduced weight.

If you have weight to lose, one of those things is a lot easier to achieve than the other

I lost 5 lbs over winter, and I jumped 1.5 grades overnight