Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DACA in exchange for the first million

UHC in exchange for the second

I'll take 1/5th of a wall in exchange for 5000 liberal dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Rinkles posted:

Think it's telling the talking point has shifted to BORDER SECURITY from "the wall".

It never really seemed to be a discussion. Lame duck congress didn't want to bother with it and now there is a new congress that needs to pass something.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
the wall in exchange for green new deal, permanent DACA, immigration quotas raised by at least 250K/year, and the concurrent resignation of Pence and Trump

edit - oh and 400 billion in military funding redirected to good stuff and the tax cuts reversed

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Harik posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with Pelosi authorizing trump to spend any money he got Mexico to hand over for the wall.

Really twist the knife, as well as remind everyone that this tantrum is over one of his many promises he's refused to keep.

At which point he will just claim 100% of all taxes with businesses that trade with Mexico in any capacity, and probably 100% of their revenue, goes to the wall.

Don't be cute about this. Specific numbers only.

BiggerBoat posted:

Good on those 2 little kids for running such strong campaigns

Vincent Adultman was a remarkably experienced and mature candidate. I really did love the way he talked about business.

Dad Jokes posted:

what the actual gently caress :psyduck:

Well, obviously, he couldn't find the ants foreskin.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I disagree, it's a matter of demonstrating to the American people that you understand the gravity of the situation we're in and will do something substantive about it with the power you now have. It's good optics -- you pass a clean bill and pass the ball to McConnell and Trump and let them fumble with it.

If the bill is intended just to die on Trump and McConnells desk, then by definition its not substantive, its entirely performative.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pelosi spent 3 hours swearing each member in

Pence did it in groups of 5

:effort:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL look at these weak loving losers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-tax-returns-house-democrats_us_5c2e39ebe4b08aaf7a971c36

quote:

WASHINGTON ― The first thing Democratic lawmakers have to do to obtain copies of President Donald Trump’s personal and business tax returns is to send a letter to the Internal Revenue Service ― but they’re not going to do it this week.

And they might not even do it this month.

Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.), the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee ― who is legally entitled to see any American’s tax returns ― has indicated that he wants to wait and “lay out a case” so he doesn’t look too partisan.

Hesitating is a “big mistake,” said Steve Rosenthal, a senior fellow with the Tax Policy Center, a partnership of the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

theflyingorc posted:

DACA in exchange for the first million

UHC in exchange for the second

I'll take 1/5th of a wall in exchange for 5000 liberal dreams

I'd trade the whole racist rear end wall for an NHS-style system out of pragmatism. Because I'm quite sure it would be torn down in 30 years ala Berlin and in the meantime no one is giving up their socialized healthcare once they have a taste of it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

“...says the president is willing” is complete horseshit. “...tells the president he will” is accurate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

mcmagic posted:

LOL look at these weak loving losers.

Wow a whole month, poo poo, pack it up demailures!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

"I never did get to meet Ben Ghazi."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Dude seriously looks like he’s coming down from a week long bender.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'd trade the whole racist rear end wall for an NHS-style system out of pragmatism. Because I'm quite sure it would be torn down in 30 years ala Berlin and in the meantime no one is giving up their socialized healthcare once they have a taste of it.

I would trade the wall for NHS healthcare, UBI (tied to standard of living in voting district) and free college. All of them and not one thing less.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Catching up on the last 1100 posts so this may or may not be relevant to the last few pages, but I just listened to the latest NPR politics podcast while making dinner and thought it was a particularly good one. They discussed the opening of the newest Congress, including the demographic differences between the Democratic and Republican sides of the aisle, and had some neat discussion around Elizabeth Warrens' recent likability attempts like putting out an AOC-style cooking video where she drank a beer and her announcement for a presidential run while wearing tennis shoes and a hoodie.

The whole thing is a half hour long, but the last few minutes are the hosts talking about things they can't let go this week which can be political or non political.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/03/682063015/weekly-roundup-thursday-january-3

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

friendbot2000 posted:

It gets worse. WoC like Nicki Minaj are pressured into bleaching their skin to look less black.

Do you think there's a distinction between those like Rachel Dolezal and singers who culturally appropriate for profits? Race is a social construct along the lines of gender so is there a distinction to be made to those who identify as another ethnicity vs those who do it for the dollars?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dude seriously looks like he’s coming down from a week long bender.

Wouldn't do to have to carry all the coke out through security.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm not so sure the Democrats would be wrong in trying to ape AOC's efforts to seem like a regular human. Democrats often seem snooty and standoffish, which puts off people who would agree with them. Those who can convincingly do the "I drink a beer like regular folks" would do well to do so.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

John Saddery

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RuanGacho posted:

Theyre hoping no one is paying attention and that they can successfully convert people to thinking Dems hate all boarder security.

I mean I personally are for open borders and Gundams terrorizing everyone with more than 250K Salaries but this isn't about that.
The Fox News crowd already believes Dems want literal open borders, like unrestricted streams of brown people taking our jerbs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

loving lol

I can see it not being his top priority cause new congress etc etc but explicitly waiting because you don't want it to seem partisan is dumb as hell. It will seem partisan no matter what, because it is partisan

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The Fox News crowd already believes Dems want literal open borders, like unrestricted streams of brown people taking our jerbs.

I do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

cheetah7071 posted:

loving lol

I can see it not being his top priority cause new congress etc etc but explicitly waiting because you don't want it to seem partisan is dumb as hell. It will seem partisan no matter what, because it is partisan

These idiots still think they are in 1971. This is why it's so blatantly obvious that they won't do what will need to be done even if they fully control government in 2021.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

No more borders.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty close to open borders. Check people for a criminal record but not much else. Refine it down a bit so bullshit offenses don't put you on the do-not-enter list

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I support giving Donald $5 billion for a border wall on the Canadian border

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tagesschau posted:

He's required to give them an update on the state of the union, but he isn't required to give a speech in front of Congress. He can send a letter.
Lol if you think Trump could write a whole letter

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

John Saddery

lol

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

If the bill is intended just to die on Trump and McConnells desk, then by definition its not substantive, its entirely performative.

they've got two years until their performances are next reviewed. i would advise making those performances good.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'm not so sure the Democrats would be wrong in trying to ape AOC's efforts to seem like a regular human. Democrats often seem snooty and standoffish, which puts off people who would agree with them. Those who can convincingly do the "I drink a beer like regular folks" would do well to do so.

Warren was talking about liking beer earlier today, and at least Gellibrand was live streaming herself baking over the holidays. So it’s not an issue of if they ape her, but are these attempts going to be effective.

Personally I can’t see it hurting unless you’re a weird lizard person like Mitt Romney.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

It would've worked better if I still had my Joan av. But if Gowdy makes it into the movie, Slattery's a shoo-in for real

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

loving lol

mcmagic posted:

These idiots still think they are in 1971. This is why it's so blatantly obvious that they won't do what will need to be done even if they fully control government in 2021.

ways and means isn't really the committee we expect to be investigating trump's taxes but don't let that get in the way of mcmagic mcmagicing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah I'm concerned about the potential stream of white people coming in the largely unsecured 3500 miles of northern border

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

eke out posted:

ways and means isn't really the committee we expect to be investigating trump's taxes but don't let that get in the way of mcmagic mcmagicing

I apologize for getting suckered by a bad article then

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

“I saw that lib’rul trying to drink beer, she was drinkin’ that, uh, Stella Ar-toe-is, she don’t drink none American beer!”

*Rep switches to Budweiser*

“Yeah well, Budweiser is owned by the fur-in-er’s I tell you what.”

Joking aside, I don’t think “I could have a beer with them” was anything aside from dog whistling that they liked the barbaric policies the Republicans but couldn’t admit to it in public. See: Bush creating two un-winnable wars but the people talking about re-electing him despite the number of innocent Iraqis and American soldiers dead from a literal needless conflict.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah I'm concerned about the potential stream of white people coming in the largely unsecured 3500 miles of northern border

They are storming across the border and stealing our cheap Costco goods in Washington its disgusting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Edmund Lava posted:

Warren was talking about liking beer earlier today, and at least Gellibrand was live streaming herself baking over the holidays. So it’s not an issue of if they ape her, but are these attempts going to be effective.

Personally I can’t see it hurting unless you’re a weird lizard person like Mitt Romney.

remember abuela? (lol there's even an emote :abuela:). i think it mostly requires the person to be able to be/act genuine to be effective.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jack2142 posted:

They are storming across the border and stealing our cheap Costco goods in Washington its disgusting.

Who will have the guts to stand up for our northern border security

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Has anyone done the demographics of white terrorism vs colored? I'm thinking there's been more white terror within the US with all the mass shootings, Tim McVeighs, Pipe Bombers, etc.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

It would've worked better if I still had my Joan av. But if Gowdy makes it into the movie, Slattery's a shoo-in for real

his experience playing Steve Austin on 30 Rock has prepared him for this role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

You should have taken the deal last year when it was up to $25B for DACA, you stupid fat gently caress.