Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

Spanky I wish you had PMs you jerk!

Huh, had them turned off for some reason, back on now.

Bogus Adventure posted:

You mean the Glee-chan stuff? I actually like them. I don't love them, but they're decent caricatures.

Yeah I mean kawaii isn't my favorite thing ever but they did a good enough job of bringing the characters' distinguishing features through the exaggerated form, and perhaps most importantly, chose any other look for Seven than the drat catsuit.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
man, can you imagine what voyager would have been like if seven had worn actual clothes?

probably the exact same, but with seven wearing actual clothes but that's still a step up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numberoneposter posted:

Picard and Riker play lawyer to determine if Data is a real boy or not.

It's a great character episode for Riker, watching him have to go all-out to do something he absolutely doesn't want to.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a great character episode for Riker, watching him have to go all-out to do something he absolutely doesn't want to.

Him turning off Data made me super sad when I saw it. I was 6-7 years old at the time, though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That episode was great development for Data too because he was the only one pragmatic enough to see that Riker made objectively the correct move by trying to get him dismantled, since if he didnt, Data would have been disassembled by default. Data owns

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best moment in the episode is when he realizes what his argument is going to hinge on and flashes a big “Eureka!” smile that slowly fades away as he realizes the horrific implication it’ll have for his friend’s case.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I like how Rom speaks in the 2nd episode and sounds like every other ferengi but then somehow later on talks like he’s got brain damage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
everyone's talking so weird in that episode lmao odo sounds loving bizarre

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It was before the throat cancer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PenisMonkey posted:

rene's got range, dude was an evil skeleton one time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV--HzX9__I

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah

https://youtu.be/zIELFX6CFyo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s impossible to find clips of it online since Fox is so quick to pull copyrighted poo poo, but his guest spot on Always Sunny is one of my favorite things he’s done.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Also sorry I accidentally posted some neelix in that video.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

rene's got range, dude was an evil skeleton one time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV--HzX9__I

I loved that movie as a child, I saw it like a billion times and had it on vhs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gatts posted:

it owns. it is depressing and hugely unpleasant and sad. agonizing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gatts posted:

Pick posted:

it owns. it is depressing and hugely unpleasant and sad. agonizing.

:same:

The song America wrote for it also loving owns because it's so sad yet beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2_oyGwdX14

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

The song America wrote for it also loving owns because it's so sad yet beautiful.

Yah. The opening. The movie had magical atmosphere

https://youtu.be/EtfP0FeEN0I

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gatts posted:

Yah. The opening. The movie had magical atmosphere

https://youtu.be/EtfP0FeEN0I

I miss animation like this. It wasn't perfectly polished, it had loving style. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse is a little bit like that, but not quite. However, I'm also a huge sucker for nostalgic poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

man, can you imagine what voyager would have been like if seven had worn actual clothes?

probably the exact same, but with seven wearing actual clothes but that's still a step up.

She wore a normal uniform in one episode, to infiltrate past Voyager: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Relativity_(episode) and looked much better that way.

Kashia
Nov 9, 2018

Darling Nikka.

Bogus Adventure posted:

This song's really pretty. Nice melody.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The newest Orville was extremely good and extremely gay

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

but you repeat yourself

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Things can be bad and gay, like Ant, Milo, or that tech billionaire guy who steals millennial blood

Kashia
Nov 9, 2018

Darling Nikka.
Can there be a 1000+ gbs thread on Babylon 5 next? I'm only halfway through season 3 so take your time.

It can have half the budget of this thread and we can use older, washed-up stage posters if necessary. Thanks in advance for your consideration everyone

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
there's a long TVIV b5 thread that remains fairly active

have some pizdul art

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
1st and 3rd ones are interesting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I like SFIV concept art Bester

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what sort of tragic fool would willingly post in tviv?

Kashia
Nov 9, 2018

Darling Nikka.

Pick posted:

there's a long TVIV b5 thread that remains fairly active

have some pizdul art

what sort of tragic fool would willingly post in tviv?

Those pictures are good. It's lovely that people care enough about anything to make nice fanart about it. The tragic fool is me; I wrote a long post in the TVIV thread but have avoided the discussion as I'm attempting to keep from spoiling myself.

I haven't watched a star trek (except a few scattered episodes and clips of DS9, TNG and TOS ages ago), but its obvious that all this optimistic 90's sci-fi TV is so beloved because it did something uniquely well that hasn't been truly equaled or replaced after all this time. It seems like the shows have also left enough of an itch over the things they didn't do right that they provide the impetus for obsessive fandom, through people wanting to fix their mistakes and deliver on the shows' promise. After so much discussion this thread could probably :circlefap: together a show that would do a lot more right than these have. I think it would have/be:

1. Intentionally thematic. It would have to have something interesting to say - even if implicitly, like the vision of hope for the future that all of trek seems to consistently provide. I think B5 does nothing particularly well but be thematic, but this alone makes it worth watching.
2. No single antagonist, just a bunch of deuter- and tritagonists whose incompatible goals cause them to crash into each other and themselves. Some other TV does this now as well, so this is hardly as unique as it once was.
3. An interesting and diverse world-within-a-world environment, new facets of which are revealed over time, for the viewer to immerse themselves more and more in with each episode, a space station or starship or internet forum or something.
4. Dukat.
5. The G'Kar/Londo dynamic - something that echoes the complexity of these two characters, their relationship, and their development.

What else?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think someone else probably could have played g'kar, but no one else could have played londo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

i think someone else probably could have played g'kar, but no one else could have played londo.

Absolutely not. Andreas Katsulas IS G'Kar.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The thing that gets missed by most reboots or reprises is that they go into it thinking there's One Type Of Fan.

Did people watch DS9 for the Big War? The special effects? Seeing Nog and Bashir and Jake-o grow? Miles' family life vignettes? Quark's fruitless escapades trying to better himself, ostensibly evil but only within a self-imposed framework of values, only to be thwarted by Odo or Sisko? Bajoran Politico-religuous Dramas? Seeing how Garak is untrustworthy yet yearns to be trusted, and other characters having to cover their backs every time they interact with him, wondering how he might try to betray them this time? The fact that Klingons had to operate outside their control while remaining true to their values, as did the Federation, Cardassians etc because nobody owned DS9 except the sect tgat had no power over it? The emmisary/pah-wraiths bullshit (lol nobody watched for that)?

A reboot would get a big boss in saying "THIS is why people watched, let's do exclusively this!" And it would be hollow and awful.

This is made worse by films that try to both appeal to the Average Cinemagoer of the time and also Real FansTM. They end up pleasing no-one.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

"People liked TNG because Picard was calm and erudite. Let's make The Picard Show 100% that!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PenisMonkey posted:

Neither Max Grodenchik nor Rene Auberjonois ever had cancer, what the gently caress are you talking about?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Timby posted:

Neither Max Grodenchik nor Rene Auberjonois ever had cancer, what the gently caress are you talking about?

He's implying that both of them performed cunnilingus on Catherine Zeta-Jones.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Timby posted:

I’m loving talking about how odo eventually sounds like he has loving throat cancer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PenisMonkey posted:

I’m loving talking about how odo eventually sounds like he has loving throat cancer

Heh!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The newest Orville was extremely good and extremely gay

So good, and so gay!

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
for someone so racist against ferengi, Sisko is one hell of a bajor weeb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm actually struggling to find a way to watch the new series of the Orville online.

Last year I used the infamous watchseries.io but I need a VPN to access it and I need to pay for a new one (which I'll probably do this weekend).

The dumbest poo poo is that in the UK my house has access to the BBC, ITV, and 4OD online services which are the major "free" channels. On top of that we have Netflix, and on top of THAT we have Now TV which is basically Sky's streaming service. Yet literally none of this poo poo had the Orville.

Now TV had Orville Season 1, but had it for like a 4 month period and then removed it.

Honestly gently caress everything about show licensing from the US.