Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I mean is his mommy in the room?

(also does she have his favorite mlp toy?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
There's video!
https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/1081037086621339648

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countdown to :decorum:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao she all but dropped the mic

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Grape posted:

They don't have to be that bad to be something that should make your eyes pop.

Yes there are Italians that dark, even features wise there are Italians that can pass as hispanic super easily. I have relatives in that capacity myself.
Ariana is not one of those Italians.

This might be a derail, and it might seem inflammatory, but take it as a good faith comment.

I live in South America, I have lived in South America for over two years. It is confusing for me when I read about people in the United States treating "Hispanic" as a racial group with certain features. Some people in South America have indigenous ancestry, but some people in South America are from Europe (not just Spain, but Italy, Germany, France, Poland, Yugoslavia, etc). There are also people from East Asia and the Middle East. You can find people here with names like Helen Middlethorp or Claudio Schmidt or Eduardo Wang.

To me, Hispanic or Latino only means "Spanish speaker" or "From a Spanish/Portuguese speaking country" (Okay: obvious problematic area: there are some indigenous groups where people do not speak Spanish, but they are still Hispanic because they are from a Spanish-speaking country, I will let others figure that one out). As far as physical appearance, social customs, religion, politics, food, and even "culture" there isn't a core attribute that defines what is Hispanic. The only definition that makes sense to me is the functional one, people who speak that language.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
I'm so proud of my state right now

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The finale of Power Rangers in Space where Zordon says "Andros, you must shatter my energy tube, releasing a wave of good energy that will wipe out evil's attacking forces."

And Andros responds "That would be killing a lot of monsters. I think it's only prudent to kill monsters in your immediate vicinity that pose an imminent threat"

And Zordon replies "Andros we do not have the time"

And Andros interrupts " If good is really better we can defeat the ultimate alliance of evil in the marketplace of ideas. Destroying them would be a form of censorship"

And then Ecliptor stabs him through the chest and kills him.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think the chances of Trump getting heckled at the next State of the Union just went way up.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm so proud of my state right now

When you start your day with this

https://mobile.twitter.com/HannahAllam/status/1080841356698927104

I would be proud too

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
If Rashida heckles trump I'm gonna go mow her lawn for free for like 15 years

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Liberals don’t need an opposition party

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1081037541669785600

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

marshmonkey posted:

I think the chances of Trump getting heckled at the next State of the Union just went way up.

I honestly can’t even remember what happened at last years State of the Union.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

It’s loving Politico.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Paygo is fine just tax the loving rich

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I honestly can’t even remember what happened at last years State of the Union.

He talked about making a lot more nuclear weapons and using them a lot more. You know; same old same old

He talked about it so much the Joint Chiefs of Staff shifted uncomfortably in their chairs and looked visibly concerned

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 4, 2019

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Lovin' the army of racist, genocidal psychopaths drawing a moral line at women cursing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This lady rocks, but I fear she's ruined "the discourse' for the next 20 years.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 4, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mr Interweb posted:

This lady rocks, but I fear she's ruined "the discourse' until 2020.

It's going to get Trump mad and he's going to say something dumb as poo poo about it, and I consider that a net positive. The more you insult the man, the louder the defensive gas erupts from his folds.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepSpanberger/status/1080953368519036928

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

This lady rocks, but I fear she's ruined "the discourse' for the next 20 years.

Nah gently caress that poo poo. People by and large want Trump called out for what he is.

Call him a fatfuck. A moron. A complete loser. Watch him explode.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

glowing-fish posted:

This might be a derail, and it might seem inflammatory, but take it as a good faith comment.

I live in South America, I have lived in South America for over two years. It is confusing for me when I read about people in the United States treating "Hispanic" as a racial group with certain features. Some people in South America have indigenous ancestry, but some people in South America are from Europe (not just Spain, but Italy, Germany, France, Poland, Yugoslavia, etc). There are also people from East Asia and the Middle East. You can find people here with names like Helen Middlethorp or Claudio Schmidt or Eduardo Wang.

To me, Hispanic or Latino only means "Spanish speaker" or "From a Spanish/Portuguese speaking country" (Okay: obvious problematic area: there are some indigenous groups where people do not speak Spanish, but they are still Hispanic because they are from a Spanish-speaking country, I will let others figure that one out). As far as physical appearance, social customs, religion, politics, food, and even "culture" there isn't a core attribute that defines what is Hispanic. The only definition that makes sense to me is the functional one, people who speak that language.

Yeah, I feel like people understand that Asian immigrants come from a vast number of different cultures much better than they do for Central and South America.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

It's going to get Trump mad and he's going to say something dumb as poo poo about it, and I consider that a net positive. The more you insult the man, the louder the defensive gas erupts from his folds.

I agree with this. They should be literally antagonizing him. It causes him to just vomit unforced errors and distracts him from doing anything else.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This is the biggest conference each year for meteorologists. My agency (NOAA) sent 400 scientists last year. I personally spent many, many hours preparing for it this year. Now for nothing.

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1080950128037543942?s=20

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So that Anonymous guy deleted their account.

I swear there’s a small part of me that wouldn’t be surprised if this was a brilliant ploy by the AOC campaign to fake a right wing account to post a video that would simultaneously win people over and hurt the right.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh by the way, I legitimately never thought I'd see Pelosi as speaker ever again. Glad to be wrong. :unsmith:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Paygo is fine just tax the loving rich

Oh yeah like Congress is gonna tax themselves. Pelosi is rich as gently caress

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

glowing-fish posted:

Yeah we know this, but for all intents and purposes in the US that is the way it comes across socially and for the most part racially. The vast majority of latinx immigrants to the US are on the darker side of things, and this *cough* colors the way it gets framed and placed in our society.
Likewise my point is that Italian (and especially Greek) Americans can look super pale, or be very dark (in a Middle Eastern sense) but will always be socially grouped as white. Same with darker Jews and pretty much any Middle Easterners who are Christian.

Don't act like South America is a stranger to complicated often seemingly contradictory socio-racial politics my dude.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Cheese and crackers now we got potty mouths and dancers in government??? Politicians aren't supposed to do normal people things! Why my word next you'll tell me one of them has children that AREN'T heads of corporations!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

when she gets criticized she should say 'sorry, it was just locker room talk'

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

From the article

quote:

Rounds 1 and 2 between the Democratic establishment and the Tea Party of the Left went to the establishment.

What the gently caress is this trash

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

From the article

BOTH SIDES

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Don't forget

idiots at Politico posted:

Ocasio-Cortez and her Instagramming army of rebels

More quality reporting from Politico.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Boris Galerkin posted:

From the article

Forget it Boris, it’s Politico

(Cue Chinatown end credits)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Three women I campaigned with/for are now in the House, along with all the Democrats running the state of Michigan.

It is a dann fine day, my friends. Let's get those motherfuckers.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Grape posted:

Yeah we know this, but for all intents and purposes in the US that is the way it comes across socially and for the most part racially. The vast majority of latinx immigrants to the US are on the darker side of things, and this *cough* colors the way it gets framed and placed in our society.
Likewise my point is that Italian (and especially Greek) Americans can look super pale, or be very dark (in a Middle Eastern sense) but will always be socially grouped as white. Same with darker Jews and pretty much any Middle Easterners who are Christian.

Don't act like South America is a stranger to complicated often seemingly contradictory socio-racial politics my dude.

Okay, yes, I agree, I didn't mean to "well actually" there. Just kind of sharing my own process of discovery when I moved to a foreign country and found out that the US categories I was familiar with didn't make sense here.
I don't now about "always" be socially grouped as white. The fault lines of who has been "in" and "out" of "White" America has changed many times, and it will probably change again, very rapidly.

South America is very complicated. Just different complications. This probably isn't too on-topic, but recently, in Chile, a Mapuche Indian, Camilo Catrillanco, was killed by a police officer (who was actually arrested for it!). And so there is some obvious racism going on there, but if you looked at the pictures side by side, they don't look noticeably different.

Like, a pretty normal part of my life is worrying that people, who, in the United States, would be clearly "non-white" are going to be neo-nazis. And that is obviously a little weird for me!

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

the amount of potential dem contenders that are trying their hand at live streaming themselves in their kitchens cooking/talking policy like Ocasio-Cortiz made me realize we're about 4 months away from Martin O'Malley playing edward fortyhands live on Mixer

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1080990673732624384?s=19

Really enjoying these photos of kids running around the House.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Doctor Teeth posted:

the amount of potential dem contenders that are trying their hand at live streaming themselves in their kitchens cooking/talking policy like Ocasio-Cortiz made me realize we're about 4 months away from Martin O'Malley playing edward fortyhands live on Mixer

You and I both know we would all watch that poo poo

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

glowing-fish posted:

Okay, yes, I agree, I didn't mean to "well actually" there. Just kind of sharing my own process of discovery when I moved to a foreign country and found out that the US categories I was familiar with didn't make sense here.
I don't now about "always" be socially grouped as white. The fault lines of who has been "in" and "out" of "White" America has changed many times, and it will probably change again, very rapidly.

By "always" I mean in a contemporary sense. Though the truly darker Southern Europeans may be accidentally profiled as latinx or Muslim by idiot racists anyway. Especially in overwhelmingly Northern Euro ancestry areas.

South America is very complicated. Just different complications. This probably isn't too on-topic, but recently, in Chile, a Mapuche Indian, Camilo Catrillanco, was killed by a police officer (who was actually arrested for it!). And so there is some obvious racism going on there, but if you looked at the pictures side by side, they don't look noticeably different.

quote:

Like, a pretty normal part of my life is worrying that people, who, in the United States, would be clearly "non-white" are going to be neo-nazis. And that is obviously a little weird for me!

The local version of this in my state is being unsure whether someone you just met is Puerto Rican or Italian, until you find out the latter by hearing them be racist about the former lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Can't believe I just had a feel good day about a loving house of congress

Doctor Teeth posted:

I'm just excited for when drunk streams become a regular part of the campaigning process