Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Deadpool, the character whose gimmick is breaking the 4th wall, makes a reference to another african kingdom that doesn't exist in the black panther or marvel universe but nonetheless is familiar to every reader of the comic strip. The fact that you don't "get it" shows just how dumb as poo poo you are.

Yeah man I totally did not understand that pridr rock isn't real you got me good that is absolutely what was being discussed

Not "is it racist to bomb into the throne romr of a black king and yell lion king lyrics at him because that is in fact a thing that exists in the marvel universe, because many popular movies and such exist in the marvel universe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

withak posted:

Is The Lion King not existing in the marvel universe canon?

I honestly don't know, but I don't see why it would. Hell Disney owns marvel now right? So maybe that is an additional reason why Deadpool wouldis allowed to reference it now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

withak posted:

Is The Lion King not existing in the marvel universe canon?

No, it's a well established thing that most (not all because reasons) pop culture poo poo from here exists there, partly because then you can do pop culture references and partly because the marvel universes whole deal is that it's our world but with superheroes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

swimsuit posted:

can u be racist to a king

sounds like an excuse to watch Coming to America for research

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I honestly don't know, but I don't see why it would. Hell Disney owns marvel now right? So maybe that is an additional reason why Deadpool wouldis allowed to reference it now.

I guarantee you someone referenced lion king before 2014 or whenever the buyot was because it's not illegal to reference something you don't own you loving idiot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Power crazy do you lie in wait to gently caress up a thread with the dumbest possible arguments or is it just a bizarre series of coincidences

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've refined it to an art and the kinds of people who don't understand what racism is are the most fragile and provide the most entertainment.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I've refined it to an art and the kinds of people who don't understand what racism is are the most fragile and provide the most entertainment.

So you're just dumb as poo poo then got it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Some Guy TT posted:

so how old is that panel anyway is that from pre woke marvel when everyone was racist or post woke marvel when everyone hates racism but the writers are still the same moronic white people as before so its just racist in a more convoluted hamhanded way

it's like a couple months old

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so whats this story about anyway im assuming deadpools not there to talk about lion king

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

i cant beliebve that deadpool has managed to troll dickeye harder than he did black panther, despite being a cartoon

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

so whats this story about anyway im assuming deadpools not there to talk about lion king

Who cares Coates is not, from what little I've read of his work, very good at comics

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tastykake posted:

deadpool is a cum boy 100%

he went there to have them cure his appearance using their superior albino-based medical technology

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Who cares Coates is not, from what little I've read of his work, very good at comics

are you telling me the onions endorsement was a lie

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

are you telling me the onions endorsement was a lie

The one about how he's America's black guy to point to as an authority? No that one's right

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
for the rest of your days

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crash obviously

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You gotta hand it to the people who talk about Harry Potter politics, they seem like intellectual titans compared to the people who talk about comic politics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he went there to have them cure his appearance using their superior albino-based medical technology

...dude, the gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

You gotta hand it to the people who talk about Harry Potter politics, they seem like intellectual titans compared to the people who talk about comic politics.

I'm still kinda surprised we haven't had any Harry Potter comic books. Or an animated series.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
My take was that Deadpool's thing is being obnoxious because he can't die and enjoys fights, and so he's racist and disrespectful to the status of his host while cracking a terrible "joke."

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How about African guy Black Panther
As an act of wakandan resistance to white colonizers he always wears sandals and nevah respects ah woman.
Edit poo poo I thought I was in a Cum-adjacent thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Has anyone said Woke-anda yet?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

its legitimately impressive how over the last fifteen years superhero comics have gone from a ghetto genre that more serious comics writers have done everything they can to distance themselves from to an art form so prestigious that when non comics writers are offered a job from the big two they post extended soliloquoys of gratitude on twitter for being allowed to participate in the great american zeitgeist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Infantilization of culture under late capitalism is real.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack2142 posted:

Crash obviously

good, that’s the better one

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Infantilization of culture under late capitalism is real.

:d2a:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...dude, the gently caress.

deadpool has ignorant ideas about wakanda that pissed off their king enough to fight him

ta nehisi coates was not involved

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Deadpool being an dipshit casual racist because he thinks he's just making a joke is one hundred percent on brand

holy lol if this an actual opinion

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Deadpool has always worked best as a literal Ugly American :canada: so while he shouldn’t be an out an out bigot attempts to make him Woke™ severely limits the character. Microaggressions only though.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still kinda surprised we haven't had any Harry Potter comic books. Or an animated series.

Real missed opportunity on Rowling’s or Warner Bros. part or she doesn’t want to cede creative control, remember Rowling comes up with the awful plot points of the new prequel movies.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rowling is the new George Lucas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Wars had a massive infamous EU though.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

wrong thread rip

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
please dont bother me

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Wars had a massive infamous EU though.

Harry Potter has a massive infamous fanfic pseudo-EU, though. My Immortal, The Draco Trilogy, and The Mortal Instruments come to mind. :shrug:

They do take their poo poo seriously, though.

https://twitter.com/pottermore/status/1081242428105998336

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lmao that account was opened in 2009

good lord

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Jonathan Fisk posted:

it's pretty racist to make fun of the panther king by referencing the lion king

Wakanda culturally appropriated its goddess from Egypt so it’s okay.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Deadpool, the character whose gimmick is breaking the 4th wall, makes a reference to another african kingdom that doesn't exist in the black panther or marvel universe but nonetheless is familiar to every reader of the comic strip. The fact that you don't "get it" shows just how dumb as poo poo you are.

you have to have a very high IQ to understand Spiderman But With A Gun. the humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of bizarre culture war hangups most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you have to have a very low IQ not to understand Spiderman But With A Gun. the humor is extremely obvious, and there is no way the joke can possibly go over your head unless you are arguing in bad-faith or are dumb as poo poo.

fixed.