Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lmao if you don’t contract out any and all cabling to some tradesman who will do it faster

Lmao if you don't just put your networking into the cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

bull3964 posted:

I would have to pull the colorblind card on that one and instantly make them wonder if they made a discriminatory question.

They would not wonder :ssh:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

adorai posted:

Lmao if you don't just put your networking into the cloud.

Lmao if you work. I'm cashing in on that unlimited PTO.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

lol if you're using cable in 2019. Do you even FTTD
Our local cable company (Cablevision) got acquired by Altice and the first thing they did after changing the name over was launch an FTTD product

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 3, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Any interest in reviving that IT book club from a couple years back? I've got a good backlog of books from the holidays and that thing always helped me keep good notes.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

Any interest in reviving that IT book club from a couple years back? I've got a good backlog of books from the holidays and that thing always helped me keep good notes.

I’m game

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Shoutout to the shithead local MSP I used to work for that would send woefully unprepared and inexperienced helpdesk guys out to do all-day cable runs and then complain about ticket volume.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I used to have to hand crimp cables, but they were always specialty cables for whatever loving robot/automation we used out on the plant floor. Also scales.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Shoutout to the shithead local MSP I used to work for that would send woefully unprepared and inexperienced helpdesk guys out to do all-day cable runs and then complain about ticket volume.

We're already paying their salary so this is at no cost to us!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hmm it's almost as if those helpdesk people could be working on... tickets?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
We got our pentest results back today. :stonk:

The vulnerabilities our team(network) found and reported to both the application and server groups in writing, 6 months ago, were the biggest things hit on the audit. Imagine that...

The main homepage had a unrestricted ASP relay.

Several users' passwords were dictionary guessed, several others compromised because their passwords were listed in public dumps and exploited against the office 365 portal.
A few had citrix application access, which was then exploited using an old method to get a CMD shell on the local Xenservers that hadn't been patched since God knows when. That, was in turn used to open powershell sessions with God rights on pretty much any server they wanted.

We have it in writing warning the other IT groups that this poo poo was not right, now they have it from from an outside source. At least they didn't find the AWS site that is still listening, despite our warnings, on port 80 and passing AD creds in the clear. :suicide:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

I’m interested, are we starting a separate thread?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The old one is still around, just dead

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698237

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Farking Bastage posted:

We got our pentest results back today. :stonk:

The vulnerabilities our team(network) found and reported to both the application and server groups in writing, 6 months ago, were the biggest things hit on the audit. Imagine that...

The main homepage had a unrestricted ASP relay.

Several users' passwords were dictionary guessed, several others compromised because their passwords were listed in public dumps and exploited against the office 365 portal.
A few had citrix application access, which was then exploited using an old method to get a CMD shell on the local Xenservers that hadn't been patched since God knows when. That, was in turn used to open powershell sessions with God rights on pretty much any server they wanted.

We have it in writing warning the other IT groups that this poo poo was not right, now they have it from from an outside source. At least they didn't find the AWS site that is still listening, despite our warnings, on port 80 and passing AD creds in the clear. :suicide:

This is that good good poo poo

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

It's dead. You can't comment on it anymore.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm down for an IT book thread and will add it to the OP of the "A ticket came in' thread too!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
If anyone has any decent NSX reads, this guy could use them.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Aunt Beth posted:

If anyone has any decent NSX reads, this guy could use them.

It's a poo poo show that's getting much, much worse.

Nsx-V is the vsphere flavor that is most commonly used. It's end of life is supposedly 2021, two years from now.
The replacement is nsx-T, independent from vcenter to provide better integration with other network stacks. NSX-T is not anywhere near completion and no orgs are using it in prod environments yet. VMware does not support SRM over nsx-T networks which is a pretty big loving deal.

So NSX is going to be in this ridiculous position of attempting to end support on an ok-at-best product and forcing everybody to an unproven beta version in the span of a year. VMware seems to hate it.

I highly recommend your team working with NSX jump into powershell dev from day one. Make custom tools that do everything you need for daily NSX operation and never touch the GUI.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vShield Endpoint or whatever it was called was great. Years without any problems. NSX equivalent since we upgraded to 6.5 has been a huge pain in the rear end. It's a such a basic concept that I can't imagine the more complex pieces are any better. I want guest introspection. That's it. Apparently it's impossible to do right.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I highly recommend your team working with NSX jump into powershell dev from day one. Make custom tools that do everything you need for daily NSX operation and never touch the GUI.
As someone who hates the NSX GUI and is also my group’s resident powershell cheerleader, this is great advice and I will probably start doing just this.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's dead. You can't comment on it anymore.

Ah my bad. On mobile and I don’t see any indication in the awful app that it’s locked or archived or whatever. New thread it is.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Aunt Beth posted:

As someone who hates the NSX GUI and is also my group’s resident powershell cheerleader, this is great advice and I will probably start doing just this.

We have a fairly massive powershell library around DFW, which is what we primary use NSX for. From monitoring that NSX channel health is good across every host (VMware is really bad at telling you this), to deploying entire sections from a template using the API. If you need any ideas or pointers let me know, it's basically all I've been doing for the past 8 months straight.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Okay folks, what is the hot poo poo in today’s server monitoring market? Is still the same shitshow it has always been? I need to monitor uptime on windows/Linux boxes as well as monitoring random processes, services, with history. We currently use solarwinds for some stuff and managed engine for others and I am looking to consolidate.

And since 2019 is a brand new year we have discovered a brand new poo poo sandwich that I hope leads to more firings of what I hope is leaders this time. In one of our dev groups we have one dedicated to automation for reporting. Specifically automation for our customer systems. This “automation” turns out is nothing but access databases and macros which are run by manually logged on rdp sessions. This wasn’t discovered until rdp sessions settings were standardized to have time limits for inactivity.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sickening posted:

Okay folks, what is the hot poo poo in today’s server monitoring market? Is still the same shitshow it has always been? I need to monitor uptime on windows/Linux boxes as well as monitoring random processes, services, with history. We currently use solarwinds for some stuff and managed engine for others and I am looking to consolidate.

And since 2019 is a brand new year we have discovered a brand new poo poo sandwich that I hope leads to more firings of what I hope is leaders this time. In one of our dev groups we have one dedicated to automation for reporting. Specifically automation for our customer systems. This “automation” turns out is nothing but access databases and macros which are run by manually logged on rdp sessions. This wasn’t discovered until rdp sessions settings were standardized to have time limits for inactivity.

Soon enough you'll have everyone fired at your brand spanking new company. Everyone will know you as the "Count Sickening the Impaler". Good luck.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I don't have an answer but I love the stories of your new place where you going around decapitating people

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We use PRTG with like 2500 sensors, it works well and is easy to get going.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

In one of our dev groups we have one dedicated to automation for reporting. Specifically automation for our customer systems. This “automation” turns out is nothing but access databases and macros which are run by manually logged on rdp sessions. This wasn’t discovered until rdp sessions settings were standardized to have time limits for inactivity.

So the automated reporting is just a guy who does them manually and calls it automated? gently caress's sake.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Proteus Jones posted:

So the automated reporting is just a guy who does them manually and calls it automated? gently caress's sake.

He's done it so many times he just zones out and next thing he knows it's done. Sounds automated to me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Out of everything I've used, still like PRTG the best. Did a relatively large deployment of it at the MSP I worked at last and we had a couple hundred remote probes and probably somewhere around 7k sensors. Did well.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 4, 2019

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

we have PRTG and like 19,000 sensors, it runs like a dog and nobody will put money into giving it more resources

i wish we could go back to nagios

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s loving insane. It’s this home brewed app that runs macros against Microsoft access. Of course the app can’t run as a service.

I would love to send you guys the GUI for the loving thing because it’s glorious but there would be too much to blackout.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

alg posted:

we have PRTG and like 19,000 sensors, it runs like a dog and nobody will put money into giving it more resources

How many PRTG core servers do you have? What kind of hardware is backing it? Do you have a lot of expensive sensors that poll frequently?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't use servers anymore, I exist entirely in the cloud

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't use servers anymore, I exist entirely in the butt

Yes, I am a child.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I dislike nagios/prtg.

I’ve used sensu in the past and I really liked it. And it’s a drop in replacement for nagios.

But this is one of those areas where I look at it and decide it’s cheaper then the equivalent amount of FTE manpower and that it’s just simpler to dump into a SaaS vendors lap.

Edit: But to be honest I am mostly in kubernetes and in AWS/GCP and get basic node level stats for free and instrument individual services into Prometheus. I use grafana on top to do the visualizations.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 4, 2019

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Grafana + [Graphite, Elasticsearch, InfluxDB, OpenTSDB] + Telegraf

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

Oh come on Solarwinds N-Able/N-Central isn't that bad, they just gently caress things up every release and have some of the weirdest loving logic you can imagine; also anything outside of standard monitoring (WMI/SNMP/ICMP) is a dumpster fire of epic proportions.

no, I'm not jaded and spiteful at all, why do you ask?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Internet Explorer posted:

How many PRTG core servers do you have? What kind of hardware is backing it? Do you have a lot of expensive sensors that poll frequently?

we have one core server on a windows VM, lol

I've gone through and tried to set all sensors to 5 minute polling at the most, but the network team insists on about 9000 sensors that poll every minute

people have added lots and lots of collectors, or whatever they are called, but they don't really help. and some of the updates PRTG has made in the last year or two have made the UI extremely bad.

they bought the tool for the network team, we really should just let them use it and roll our own solution, but:

1. we have a very inexperienced security team who calls open source "freeware" and refuses to allow us to use any open source software (85% of our infrastructure is on Red Hat lmao)

2. operations is barely able to handle the instructions we give them right now with PRTG, having two different monitoring solutions e-mailing them would be a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

alg posted:

This may be the first time I've ever seen this sentiment :stonklol:

Really, the takeaway is that all monitoring remains terrible in TYOOL 2019, and it will always be thus.