Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

gvibes posted:

Finished dick Morgan’s Thin Air. Plot ultimately seemed a bit threadbare to me, and it seems to cover pretty familiar ground, but nonetheless pretty enjoyable.

A sleazy couch of a book, but I've had a great time on sleazy couches :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hard to estimate but in terms of named characters, the I'd guess the number of human and spider legs is approximately equivalent

On the whole, CoT is heavy on the spiders. 65:35 I'd say based on memories of reading it this past spring.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I've never really been one for novellas but reading about an autistic killer android who just wants to be left alone so it can watch TV is :allears:

So he is basically the average goon?

gvibes posted:

Finished dick Morgan’s Thin Air. Plot ultimately seemed a bit threadbare to me, and it seems to cover pretty familiar ground, but nonetheless pretty enjoyable.

Morgan’s plots have always been threadbare and are mainly there to string together a bunch of action and sex scenes along with his utter cynicism at society. I think the protagonist should be dead at least two times in Thin Air but magic healing apparently happened.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cardiac posted:

So he is basically the average goon?

Except for the fact that it's actually likeable.

I'm utterly loving the Murderbot books and I'm sad that they're novellas because it means I'll be done with them soon. How are Martha Wells' fantasy novels? I'm guessing they're not quite as great because otherwise people in this thread would probably still be mentioning them, but "not as good as Murderbot" still leaves a lot of room to be solid reads. Are they worth checking out?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm utterly loving the Murderbot books and I'm sad that they're novellas because it means I'll be done with them soon. How are Martha Wells' fantasy novels? I'm guessing they're not quite as great because otherwise people in this thread would probably still be mentioning them, but "not as good as Murderbot" still leaves a lot of room to be solid reads. Are they worth checking out?

i thought "wow murderbot rules i'll check out some of her other stuff"

city of bones is okay. not good but okay.
The books of the raksura is a 5 book series about shape-changing dragons. Just don't, not even a little.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hard to estimate but in terms of named characters, the I'd guess the number of human and spider legs is approximately equivalent
There's Portia, and Portia, oh, and Portia...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm just furious at the publisher for selling the followup "novellas" at :10bux: each. They all follow close on on the previous bit and form a single cohesive story. It's a $30 Kindle novel, not even a long one, and those fuckers managed to pick a series where it's a worthwhile expenditure. I wish Wells' agent hadn't agreed to this. I bet she got stupid money for it (which she earned). I'm just dreading a future of $30 novels on Kindle that don't release all at once.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I read some of the Raksura and it seems alright. I thought it started pretty horrible but it goes to some interesting places. I kinda breezily read books like this and from the descriptions I had been picturing more like dragon cats. I like the huge grumpy grampa dragon that shows up to solve things.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Morgan’s plots have always been threadbare and are mainly there to string together a bunch of action and sex scenes along with his utter cynicism at society. I think the protagonist should be dead at least two times in Thin Air but magic healing apparently happened.I

Honestly my favourite part of any Morgan book is the part where he justifies the protagonist as the hard-boiled gently caress-anything-up sex lord.

Elite raised from birth one-man-armies who at all costs must save the ship, from engineering issues to murdering a full crew mutiny? Cool.
Gay war hero knight-graduate who killed a dragon and saved the city he despises, awarded a Kirath blade for his actions with allies in the empire? Cool.
Genetically engineered alpha male bounty hunter who's ancestors mere presence inspired their extinction milennia ago, bought back to become special forces with a training montage in a new world? Cool.
Corporate killer for contract tenders/promotions who's father was killed by the very capitalist society he is climbing with a special car from a sexy mechanic that gives him the edge? Cool.
United Nation's interstellar special forces, who at the touch of a button transfer into new bodies on different planets to deal with anything from political uprisings, undercover jobs, or full military engagements. Trained to walk into any situation and build an almost instant picture of the scenario, apply context and develop a response.

It's all so stereotypical in a sense, and it could be argued the novels are airport fiction at worst. But the problem I have is I find them all just great loving reads. The prose is great, the worlds he builds are fantastic, the concepts, technology, politics and societies all engaging.

Am I just a big primitive dumb man with power fantasies? Probably, but i'll keep reading them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ed balls balls man posted:

Am I just a big primitive dumb man with power fantasies? Probably, but i'll keep reading them.

I kind of feel that they're the equivalent of well-written Urban Fantasy or Paranormal Romances - sure, they're big and dumb, but damnit look at the heroine I can identify with and how she has an awesome sword, fights vampires, and gets a hunk to kiss. Certainly not high lit, but all kinds of fun and great to read.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes. (apparently YMMV, since others don't seem to like her other works)

The Raksura books are good, but not great.

I liked City of Bones, but it's not her strongest book.

The Ile-Rien books are my favorite after Murderbot.

For Ile-Rien, start with Element of Fire, then Death of the Necromancer. Then The Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy. There's also a short in the anthology The Gods of HP Lovecraft that I just discovered recently. It's a fun, short tale that takes place in Ile-Rien (either right before or after the trilogy)

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

mllaneza posted:

I'm just furious at the publisher for selling the followup "novellas" at :10bux: each. They all follow close on on the previous bit and form a single cohesive story. It's a $30 Kindle novel, not even a long one, and those fuckers managed to pick a series where it's a worthwhile expenditure. I wish Wells' agent hadn't agreed to this. I bet she got stupid money for it (which she earned). I'm just dreading a future of $30 novels on Kindle that don't release all at once.

I still havn't finished Murderbot series because of this, it's not that I don't have the money it's just feels way overpriced, if it was like $3.99 like Penric and Desdamona I would be 1000x more willing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I kind of feel that they're the equivalent of well-written Urban Fantasy or Paranormal Romances - sure, they're big and dumb, but damnit look at the heroine I can identify with and how she has an awesome sword, fights vampires, and gets a hunk to kiss. Certainly not high lit, but all kinds of fun and great to read.

Morgan haven’t done anything new, he just took the classic airport fiction a la Mickey Spillane and put it into a sci-fi environment and did it in a good way. He is hardly the first one at that as well.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's a bit weird that Tor.com published the first book of the Murderbot series and the Starfire trilogy at almost the same time, with the second book of the Binti trilogy having been published a few months before - all being novellas priced in the $4-$5 range.
Then all sequels of the Starfire trilogy and the final installment of the Binti trilogy are being sold at the previous same price, but Murderbot is sold at full novel price.

I loved the first Murderbot book, but honestly won't pay 10 bux for a novella.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes. (apparently YMMV, since others don't seem to like her other works)

The Raksura books are good, but not great.

I liked City of Bones, but it's not her strongest book.

The Ile-Rien books are my favorite after Murderbot.

For Ile-Rien, start with Element of Fire, then Death of the Necromancer. Then The Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy. There's also a short in the anthology The Gods of HP Lovecraft that I just discovered recently. It's a fun, short tale that takes place in Ile-Rien (either right before or after the trilogy)

I liked Raksura more than you did I think but I'll agree that it wasn't as strong as the Ile-Rien stuff. I think having to manufacture an entire secondary world rather than relying on veiled historical references made it harder to bring everything alive. Would still totally play a videogame set in the Raksura world though, it almost feels like it was designed for one.

I've enjoyed her short stories as well, though they're scattered around all over everywhere. Thorns is my favorite.

In any case I mean I would recommend the rest of her work to people who liked Murderbot. It's not Murderbot but you can see the seeds there, the dry sarcasm comes through sometimes. I'm looking forward to the Murderbot novel.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ed balls balls man posted:

Honestly my favourite part of any Morgan book is the part where he justifies the protagonist as the hard-boiled gently caress-anything-up sex lord.

There's enough anarchocomunist anger and "proper" scifi in Altered Carbon that I'm okay treating them as more than a dumb power fantasy.

Bit weird if he does it in every series though.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was trying to remember the name of a series a few days ago and all I could remember was that had the feel of altered carbon and it was about an overly badass power fantasy guy with a prototype AI in his head that could control anything and it was completely over the top.

I dug through and finally found it, it was the Samuil Petrovitch Metrozone books starting with Equation of life, and out of the many books I read a year this dumb series I read years ago popped into my head as enjoyable and hey maybe it'd be fun to read again.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes they are worth checking out and are much much longer than the novella length Murderbot books.
Once you're read a few Martha books you''ll notice she relies on a few stock character types whatever the genre, but the writing is good enough + unique enough for each setting that you won't really care.

Martha Wells series summaries:
Fall of Ile-Rien series: Victorian era magic-punk. Main characters that don't really fit into their respective societies and therefore act awkward as hell around their peers.
Raksura series: Think of a toned down version of Jack Vance's tales of the dying earth setting but with shapeshifters + a better community vibe. The series main character manages to out-awkward Murderbot.
murderbot series: you've read them, you enjoy them, no need to comment more on them

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Proteus Jones posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of this, and was only a minor bit of motivation away from making a vague, "There's this book, and I think this happens in it. What's it called?" post. I got this free with one of my e-readers, enjoyed it, and then totally forgot who it was by.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

awesmoe posted:

The books of the raksura is a 5 book series about shape-changing dragons. Just don't, not even a little.

This is at least a moderately goony opinion.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

fritz posted:

This is at least a moderately goony opinion.

Post/avatar synergy in effect

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Fart of Presto posted:

Yeah, it's a bit weird that Tor.com published the first book of the Murderbot series and the Starfire trilogy at almost the same time, with the second book of the Binti trilogy having been published a few months before - all being novellas priced in the $4-$5 range.
Then all sequels of the Starfire trilogy and the final installment of the Binti trilogy are being sold at the previous same price, but Murderbot is sold at full novel price.

I loved the first Murderbot book, but honestly won't pay 10 bux for a novella.

Gotten all three as e-books from the library which is 100% the way to go.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

awesmoe posted:

i thought "wow murderbot rules i'll check out some of her other stuff"

city of bones is okay. not good but okay.

there's definitely way more than five of them

edit: they were fine light reading, nothing incredible. I was made inordinately frustrated when the main character shifts into his dragon form in order to fall faster because it is heavier. But that's probably my major gripe out of the several books I read, and it was a really minor plot point.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 5, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grimson posted:

there's definitely way more than five of them

??

There's five Raksura novels and two Raksura short story collections.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

??

There's five Raksura novels and two Raksura short story collections.

Huh, you're right, most of them are just listed twice on Amazon, my bad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grimson posted:

Huh, you're right, most of them are just listed twice on Amazon, my bad.

loving amazon. I've been caught out by that crap more than once for other authors.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I still havn't finished Murderbot series because of this, it's not that I don't have the money it's just feels way overpriced, if it was like $3.99 like Penric and Desdamona I would be 1000x more willing.

That reminds me. Lois McMaster Bujold's current output is a series of novellas in the Five Gods setting about a young man who accidentally acquires a demon and has to become a Bastard's temple sorcerer.

He fights crime.

Well, technically no, he's really more of a scholar/troubleshooter for the Bastard's order. But two of them are mysteries, one is a road trip story, one a spy story, and another is a jailbreak/heist story. They're excellent.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

That reminds me. Lois McMaster Bujold's current output is a series of novellas in the Five Gods setting about a young man who accidentally acquires a demon and has to become a Bastard's temple sorcerer.

He fights crime.

Well, technically no, he's really more of a scholar/troubleshooter for the Bastard's order. But two of them are mysteries, one is a road trip story, one a spy story, and another is a jailbreak/heist story. They're excellent.

Yes, Penric and Desdemona. As was mentioned in the post you quoted.

Also, agreed, they are fantastic. The Chalion Trilogy is the same world (and very good as well)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I spent some gift certificates getting 3 fantasy books all loosely connected to the concept of a magic school: Vita Nostra, The Library at Mount Char, and Year of the Griffin. I’m currently finishing the latter. All 3 are worth a read and vary wildly in tone. They are all mercifully vague with the mechanics of their magic systems, with things being explained just enough for the story to function, though I felt Vita Nostra’s conclusion just missed being satisfying because of how obscure it was.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

How's Neal Asher? I spotted Dark Intelligence on goodreads and I'm intrigued, but I'm concerned by one of his reviews where he wrote "Nice to read unpretentious solid cover-to-cover entertainment without any concessions to the pc-focus-group-bullshit age we live in." and uh...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

loving amazon. I've been caught out by that crap more than once for other authors.

For a company that started out as a bookstore they seem to have a lot of trouble handling book listings in a same way. “Hey what’s the newest book by this author?” isn’t always easy to figure out based on what UI abortion they’re A/B testing at the time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StrixNebulosa posted:

How's Neal Asher? I spotted Dark Intelligence on goodreads and I'm intrigued, but I'm concerned by one of his reviews where he wrote "Nice to read unpretentious solid cover-to-cover entertainment without any concessions to the pc-focus-group-bullshit age we live in." and uh...

The Polity stuff is like a more grimdark Iain Banks, which I tend to like. I suggest though that you read the Skinner trilogy in that world (The Skinner, The Voyage of the Sable Keech, and Orbus) and if you like it go back and read the Agent Cormac line starting with Gridlinked (it's the same world).

Do not, however, read the Owner trilogy (The Departure, Zero Point, Jupiter War), unless you like quasi-libertarian ranting with your science fiction.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ulmont posted:

The Polity stuff is like a more grimdark Iain Banks, which I tend to like. I suggest though that you read the Skinner trilogy in that world (The Skinner, The Voyage of the Sable Keech, and Orbus) and if you like it go back and read the Agent Cormac line starting with Gridlinked (it's the same world).

Do not, however, read the Owner trilogy (The Departure, Zero Point, Jupiter War), unless you like quasi-libertarian ranting with your science fiction.

Haha, okay, thank you. That's about the best case scenario I could hope for, here. To the library!

(most of the library books I ordered in the last two weeks are arriving, please send help, I'm covered in the things - !)

e: Oh and the worst case scenario I was thinking of was like a John Ringo scenario where he turns an entire novel into a conservative screed

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

Haha, okay, thank you. That's about the best case scenario I could hope for, here. To the library!

(most of the library books I ordered in the last two weeks are arriving, please send help, I'm covered in the things - !)

e: Oh and the worst case scenario I was thinking of was like a John Ringo scenario where he turns an entire novel into a conservative screed

That’s the Owner series. It’s awful, albeit kind of hilarious in that it’s full of straw men villains for the heroic objectivist protagonist to righteously kill. I don’t know what happened to Asher, but it’s amazingly bad compared to the Polity stuff.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

StrixNebulosa posted:

I thought Gridlinked was absolutely terrible. It had a couple of interesting ideas and one strange and fairly interesting hook, but the prose, plotting, characters etc just did nothing for me. Apparently they get better, but I doubt I'll ever be bothered to find out, especially given what I know about his politics now. I didn't really get any kind of Banks vibe of his stuff, but a lot of people seem to. Reminded me more of Peter Hamilton than anyone else.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I skimmed through the last few hundred pages of this thread in search for recomendations and picked up To Reign in Hell as a result. I'm pretty happy with it, thanks to the threat. I'd also forgotten about the link in Freeze Frame Revolution so thanks for that too.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
He's not actually UKIP M. Banks, some of his books are OK if you like body horror ultraviolence and snarky psychopath drones.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bad. Wooden characters, boring plots, and the "interesting" aliens that people talk up his work about are just everything in the ecosystem wants to kill you. Sci-fi Australia.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Asher is good and the unsubtle version of Banks. Great if you want fast paced action AI warfare. Don’t expect any greater philosophical thinking in it.
Start with The Skinner.

The Owner series is decent, and the main criticism here is more based on the politics of the protagonist rather than the story.

I would say that Asher is more of a cynic with regards to humanity which is seen in the last book, where if I recall there are no human POVs, just AIs, augmented humans/AI hybrids and aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've checked out Gridlinked and Skinner from my library, whenever they arrive I will have a look. I'm hoping that they'll be solid sci-fi thrillers with lots of AIs that keep me hooked until the end. If they aren't, oh well.

I'm currently working through Ventus by Karl Schroeder and Gnomon by Nick Harkaway and trying to decide if I want to own (and finish) either one. Ventus is leaning towards yes because it's fun, Gnomon is leaning towards no because while it's really interesting and has cool ideas, it's also profoundly depressing.

And in the stuff I own already, I'm loving Infidel by Kameron Hurley way more than the first book! Going between it, Queen of Angels and a few others has been an utter delight. :D