Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

fits my needs posted:

wait wtf, the employment numbers are good? but unemployment went up i guess

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1081182126341541888

The way the US measures unemployment is really and truly hosed

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

fits my needs posted:

unemployment going up is likely discouraged workers re-entering the labor market, which can be a good sign

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so 312000 must be the not seasonally adjusted number

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Not a Children posted:

The way the US measures unemployment is really and truly hosed

poors aren't people and thus cannot be unemployed, problem solved

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Augus posted:

he's practically begging for it lol

"What're you gonna do, impeach me?"

- Impeached TRNOUP

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fits my needs posted:

Epic High Five posted:

My official take is that the reason they have like 9 different metrics that all display wildly different numbers is so that they can pick whichever one they want to fit their narrative at the moment because it's only ever reported as generic "unemployment numbers"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FWIW wire services like AP and reuters are the one group i trust to give an honest read on unemployment numbers are (in economist terms) good or bad, which is something impossible for a non expert to tell because the metrics are so weird

it's trivial for anyone with am agenda to spin the numbers however they want bc they're confusing as hell

baw
Nov 5, 2008

the methodology is transparent and changes are public, this is more or less the same way the data has been collected for years (with some very minor changes a couple years back iirc)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

m'lady

baw
Nov 5, 2008

alnilam posted:

FWIW wire services like AP and reuters are the one group i trust to give an honest read on unemployment numbers are (in economist terms) good or bad, which is something impossible for a non expert to tell because the metrics are so weird

all media outlets report u3 because it's considered the most useful

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

good question

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

(no Collusion with Russia, it was the Dems that Colluded)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mariana Horchata posted:

if he goes off on any new congress person it's gonna be Rashida Tlaib

"that muslim lady called me a motherfucker!"

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

alnilam posted:

(no Collusion with Russia, it was the Dems that Colluded)

WHICH IS NOT A CRIME

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1081181653601607686

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

"that muslim lady called me a motherfucker!"

if she can troll him into melting down (and she probably can) it's gonna own

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mariana Horchata posted:

i couldnt pick those half those ppl out of a line-up lmao

i heard it played on the radio the other day for the first time and it was like a ghost jumping out of the speakers

this happened to me and i felt the horrors of 2016 all over again like im a ptsd riddled vietnam vet

its loving haunting

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rashida Tlaib is everything trump despises and she is going to trigger tf out of him and probably bring out new levels of discourse like the presidential c-word

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fits my needs posted:

doesnt that happen every holiday season?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

Rashida Tlaib is everything trump despises and she is going to trigger tf out of him and probably bring out new levels of discourse like the presidential c-word

the meme wars, have become the reality

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

fits my needs posted:

so if bernie won, the democrats would technically not be winning since he is not a democrat. :thunk:

riding through sleepy democrat town yelling this like paul revere

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

punchymcpunch posted:

WHICH IS NOT A CRIME

Collusion is only a crime when the Dems do it

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Begun the meme wars have

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

alnilam posted:

She's good folks

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

thought of a good right wing image macro it's Yoda from ep 2 saying "around the Hispanics a perimeter create!" It refers to the WALL (NOW) plus it'll appeal to the youth since they like the star war films

thanks vlad I'll take my royalty check now soros has been skimping lately anyway

ty manifisto

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

doesnt that happen every holiday season?

yeah, but apparently it’s good cuz unemployment went up because this means more people are looking for jobs, or something

i dunno i never got econ that much because of the whole everyone’s a rational actor, and things are fair because everyone has perfect information in these dumbass models. then i saw the laffer (laffo) curve.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Every member of ICE is Dean Norris

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

That's a nice, Trumpy wake up tweet.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

alnilam posted:

thought of a good right wing image macro it's Yoda from ep 2 saying "around the Hispanics a perimeter create!" It refers to the WALL (NOW) plus it'll appeal to the youth since they like the star war films

thanks vlad I'll take my royalty check now soros has been skimping lately anyway

yeh and also only trump supporters like the prequels

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

baw posted:

the methodology is transparent and changes are public, this is more or less the same way the data has been collected for years (with some very minor changes a couple years back iirc)

yeah probably but 99% of the population doesn't know that and it's never reported as, "excluding people who have given up entirely, seasonal workers, and those who are underemployed, the numbers are X"

it's a sham, and anyway wages aren't going up for anybody who isn't management+ so it's irrelevant anyway

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

punchymcpunch posted:

yeh and also only trump supporters like the prequels

my man

wrf

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1081052256768847872?s=20

wow, maybe the republicans are bad and shouldn’t be taken in full faith, said no decorumcrat

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

alnilam posted:

I'm not going to look her up but I'm positive and happy that Laura Loomer is likely having a screaming meltdown, somewhere.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

fits my needs posted:

yeah, but apparently it’s good cuz unemployment went up because this means more people are looking for jobs, or something

i dunno i never got econ that much because of the whole everyone’s a rational actor, and things are fair because everyone has perfect information in these dumbass models. then i saw the laffer (laffo) curve.

That's neoclassical economics which is literally garbage.
Allow Chile to sue the Chicago school binch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

yeah probably but 99% of the population doesn't know that and it's never reported as, "excluding people who have given up entirely, seasonal workers, and those who are underemployed, the numbers are X"

it's a sham, and anyway wages aren't going up for anybody who isn't management+ so it's irrelevant anyway

u3 a sham as a popularly reported metric. they should use u6

it’s fine as an econometric tho

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

where's that tweet about trump buying full page anti-NATO ads during the height of the cold war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

Dancing with the czars.

Dancing with the tsars would have been a better joke