Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

BigglesSWE posted:

Waaaaaaiiiiiit a minute.

Items respawn now????

Since gen 5 there have been some items that respawn every so often. Beaches tend to have Heart Scales and Pearls that respawn, in some games there's a spot where a Prism Scale will occasionally respawn, etc. I think it's based on real time rather than time spent playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsT1cSjGKls

Gamefreak is going to start a series on their graphics designers January 11th. This video probably just breathed new life into speculation over a January 10 Nintendo Direct.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gamefreak pretty much does their own thing separate from Nintendo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsT1cSjGKls

Gamefreak is going to start a series on their graphics designers January 11th. This video probably just breathed new life into speculation over a January 10 Nintendo Direct.

I sure hope we get subs on these because they look interesting.

Also I'm glad James Turner is considered important enough to appear here. I follow him on Twitter and he seems to be a really nice and passionate guy, so that he gets acknowledgement from Game Freak is really good.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

James Turner gave us Golurk, the best Pokemon in the game. He should forever be praised.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

James Turner gave us Golurk, the best Pokemon in the game. He should forever be praised.

It needs a mega evolution that gives it wings, cannons, and rocket fists. Instead of the usual animation, it combines with the ancient expansion pack hidden away for the day it gained the Spiral Power to handle it. Just like a proper super-robot.

That is if Gamefreak decides to get back to making Megas instead of abandoning it and Z-moves for shinier gimmick.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Geostomp posted:

That is if Gamefreak decides to get back to making Megas instead of abandoning it and Z-moves for shinier gimmick.

You already know the truth, you just have to acknowledge it.

James Turner also gave us Harmo Knight, which is a fun little game.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I loving hate the “postgame” in Let’s Go. Jesus Christ.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nanigans posted:

I loving hate the “postgame” in Let’s Go. Jesus Christ.

Fight the Elite Four again
Catch a million pokemon to 'roid out your pokemon
Catch Mewtwo
Battle Green
Battle Blue
Fight six random Master Trainers with cheese strats/Alolan Forme/Mega Evolution
Battle Red
Go play a game with more depth, like Tetris, Pong, or ET

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Fight the Elite Four again
Catch a million pokemon to 'roid out your pokemon
Catch Mewtwo
Battle Green
Battle Blue
Fight six random Master Trainers with cheese strats/Alolan Forme/Mega Evolution
Battle Red
Go play a game with more depth, like Tetris, Pong, or ET

You can also refight the other 7 gym leaders once a day, they all have teams that are Level 60 or higher and I think some of them have new and/or Alolan form Pokemon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Finally beat Red. Feels anticlimactic. Can’t wait to get home and get to my computer so I can mess around in Ultra Sun again.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm glad James Turner is considered important enough to appear here. I follow him on Twitter and he seems to be a really nice and passionate guy, so that he gets acknowledgement from Game Freak is really good.

oh my sweet summer child

https://twitter.com/JamesTurner_42/status/1081208164006031361

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
have a spare electric cat thing code laying around for ultra sun and moon

A Eight Nine Two G Two P Nine Z W Six K Four Six S E

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I do believe that gamefreak explixcitly stated that Z-Moves are here cause they didn't have time and manpower to make something like 600+ Mega Pokemon designs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kikas posted:

I do believe that gamefreak explixcitly stated that Z-Moves are here cause they didn't have time and manpower to make something like 600+ Mega Pokemon designs.

It's still weird to me that for some reason despite those games introducing the concept of Mega Evolutions none of the X/Y starters were actually included in the batch.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Larryb posted:

It's still weird to me that for some reason despite those games introducing the concept of Mega Evolutions none of the X/Y starters were actually included in the batch.

Greninja eventually kind of got one

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker

Larryb posted:

I think I remember reading, back when X and Y was released, that they deliberately chose not to give any of the new pokemon Mega Evolutions (besides Diancie) because they were already new, and Mega Evolutions were meant to give old Pokemon something new. It wouldn't surprise me if they going to add Gen 6 Mega Evolutions in Z, but that never happened. I always thought Ash-Greninja and Zygarde's forms were all leftovers from ideas tossed around for Z before they decided they'd rather do Sun and Moon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

UltraFiend posted:

I think I remember reading, back when X and Y was released, that they deliberately chose not to give any of the new pokemon Mega Evolutions (besides Diancie) because they were already new, and Mega Evolutions were meant to give old Pokemon something new. It wouldn't surprise me if they going to add Gen 6 Mega Evolutions in Z, but that never happened. I always thought Ash-Greninja and Zygarde's forms were all leftovers from ideas tossed around for Z before they decided they'd rather do Sun and Moon.

Also Zygarde was the primary focus of an entire season of the anime a while before he was revealed to be in Sun and Moon so yeah, that's probably accurate .

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I bet that Z version would've had a couple new areas, but none related to the stuff that's half in the game, nor the power plant.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They've stated that Ash Greninja was designed for the anime in mind first, and that they put him into the games as a response to his popularity.

I think there's some truth in that given he looks like, you know

Ash.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Somewhat related, was Zygarde's base form (the little green thing that the group called "Squishy") actually in Sun/Moon or was that anime exclusive?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Somewhat related, was Zygarde's base form (the little green thing that the group called "Squishy") actually in Sun/Moon or was that anime exclusive?

Zygarde's Cores are in Sun and Moon, but not that specific version of it. All the ones that are used have Squishy's design though, you never see a blue one or anything.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So what is the explanation for Zygarde's formes? Squishy->dog->snake->uh...power ranger monster? Seems kinda random.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hey goons.

Thanks for all the responses to my post about replaying the first and second games. I picked up Ultra Sun a few days ago and am having a really fun time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what is the explanation for Zygarde's formes? Squishy->dog->snake->uh...power ranger monster? Seems kinda random.

According to Bulbapedia (and thus most likely full of poo poo), "Zygarde's 10%, 50%, and Complete Formes may be inspired in part by the three children of Loki and Angrbođa: Fenrir, Jörmungandr, and Hel." There's more info about it on Zygarde's Bulbapedia page but I find it hard to believe.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaze Dragon posted:

According to Bulbapedia (and thus most likely full of poo poo), "Zygarde's 10%, 50%, and Complete Formes may be inspired in part by the three children of Loki and Angrboða: Fenrir, Jörmungandr, and Hel." There's more info about it on Zygarde's Bulbapedia page but I find it hard to believe.

Bulbapedia has a detailed list of the anime physics in the anime, I trust them.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What's the Pokémon editor du jour, nowadays if one such person had Homebrew and the like?

edit: Nevermind. Took a while, but I found it.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 6, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/joemerrick/status/1081847293328977920?s=21

This looks like a horror movie scene with all the meltan

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Target has a sale on a number of 3DS games this week. All Pokemon titles are $25 but if you hurry there's Zelda and Mario titles for $5

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Dehry posted:

Target has a sale on a number of 3DS games this week. All Pokemon titles are $25 but if you hurry there's Zelda and Mario titles for $5

This is tragic, since I just ordered Ultra Moon on amazon two days ago.

edit: I booted up my old Omega Ruby for the first time in what is probably years and holy poo poo did I have some crazy breeding projects going on. I have like 35 perfect IV correct natured mons with some hilarious egg moves. Should I hold off on transferring these murderers to my new game until I get to the end game? Also, IS there still a deep endgame? I can't imagine it went away, but I'm slightly scared having looked at my previous foray into the series.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a decent amount of content beyond the Elite Four so I'd make sure to keep things around

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I took a break from Let’s Go at the SS Anne to play Smash, but now I’m back, and my friend traded me a shiny Charmander and a shiny Squirtle he had left over from Go. Pretty excited to have a black Charizard I raised myself.

Living my best Gen 1 life.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Man, I get why they made chains break when you turn off the game, but I wish they'd implemented something like Majora's Mask did where you could only load the save once if done that way and it kept your chain.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

smertrioslol posted:

This is tragic, since I just ordered Ultra Moon on amazon two days ago.

Same, but Ultra Sun on the eShop.

Mario Kart 7 too at a local game shop.

Ah well.

Edit: Maybe I can get a price match for some things at BestBuy tomorrow and use that sweet gift card money.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 7, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nanigans posted:

What's the Pokémon editor du jour, nowadays if one such person had Homebrew and the like?

edit: Nevermind. Took a while, but I found it.

Is it still pokedit?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Is it still pokedit?

Maybe he's referring to pkHex

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The rare berry mystery gift event has started for Gen VII games.
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/get-rare-berries/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pokeedit and pkhex brings back memories. Used to love editing mons back in ds lite days. My buddies n I would whip up so many teams for our battles. We even determined who got what rooms when we lived together via a tournament. Haha.

I also remember there was a site that let people post their pokemans online to download and send into the game. I think it used the global communications functions too and when Nintendo killed those old servers it went away.

This was before x/y iirc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there was a thing in xy where you could scan a qr code and it would just drop a hacked up pokémon right into a box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

there was a thing in xy where you could scan a qr code and it would just drop a hacked up pokémon right into a box

It's how I got a lot of mythicals. It was super useful, you didn't even need homebrew.