Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the structure and pace are so good, it makes you wish every game were as well thought out and as generous. i mean i love act 1, but act 2 is :catstare: amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
apparently LISA: The Pointless is getting a substantial content update and graphics overhaul

i thought the project had been abandoned so this is some happy news

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kanfy posted:

Blood Money's good but going back to it after playing the recent games, especially with zero nostalgia assistance, is likely gonna be pretty rough. Even if there are some specific aspects that it did especially well, 2016 and 2 surpassed it in practically every way that matters.

E:

The #1 feature request from Blood Money was the inclusion of briefcases, and even that's been implemented since.

I think Blood Money is better than 2016, for sure

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Controversial take: I really didn't like Blood Money. It was super finicky and for all the talk of you can play it how you want it seemed for the levels I played you were expected to follow one route to do things perfectly otherwise it would never work.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

Hopefully they rewrite Blood Money’s tutorial level (“What the gently caress you lookin’ at, cracker?” said the black gang member) and maybe ease off on the skimpy clothing on every single female NPC

Ah gently caress do I really want to see that poo poo again?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Having east equal to “right” on a map is what’s Earth-centric, might be fun (and confusing) if fantasy games messed with that

Of course by "earth-centric" you mean "western civilization-centric". In japan for example messing with which cardinal direction is up has long remained a thing.

In games, two recent examples immediately come to mind. Nier/Drakengard turned the cardinal directions 180°, primarily to obfuscate that it was in fact taking place in europe, and it's basically a non-factor. Breath of the Wild, while implicitly keeping north up, takes place somewhere in its local planet's southern hemisphere, which is more immediately confusing because it messes up with where you think the sun would move unless you're australian or from some other southern country, and in that game some puzzles directly rely on the sun's movement. In an game where the sun's movement doesn't matter, people will basically never notice that kind of stuff.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

or you can be like suikoden IV, where there is clearly something illuminating the planet but if you look in at least a couple of the skyboxes you will not find a sun

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Chev posted:

Breath of the Wild, while implicitly keeping north up, takes place somewhere in its local planet's southern hemisphere, which is more immediately confusing because it messes up with where you think the sun would move unless you're australian or from some other southern country, and in that game some puzzles directly rely on the sun's movement. In an game where the sun's movement doesn't matter, people will basically never notice that kind of stuff.

woah

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phantasium posted:

or you can be like suikoden IV, where there is clearly something illuminating the planet but if you look in at least a couple of the skyboxes you will not find a sun

You shouldn't look at the sun anyway, it can really hurt your eyes!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

video games are the only place where i can live out my fantasies, of directly staring into the sun

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rarity posted:

Controversial take: I really didn't like Blood Money. It was super finicky and for all the talk of you can play it how you want it seemed for the levels I played you were expected to follow one route to do things perfectly otherwise it would never work.
Blood Money, while really good, has some mediocre levels and it is a little bit jank.

Hitman 2016 and 2 are fantastic though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

video games are the only place where i can live out my fantasies, of directly staring into the sun
ditto, but for getting my head chainsawed off by an old spanish lady whose face is covered in bandages whilst an annoying teen watches

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Mario 64 taught millions of children that staring into the sun would get you a hidden star, hosed up if you think about it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

using the word "whilst" makes any sentence approximately 7% funnier

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tails "Whilst" Prower

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

for sale: baby shoes, never whilst worn

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Is there a skybox generator out there where you put in your planet's atmosphere, rotation, no. of moons, distance from sun etc. and it will create some pretty-looking vista for you? If not there totally should be!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that sentence didn't have whilst in it at all!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a skybox generator out there where you put in your planet's atmosphere, rotation, no. of moons, distance from sun etc. and it will create some pretty-looking vista for you? If not there totally should be!

You just more or less described No Man's Sky.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

haveblue posted:

You just more or less described No Man's Sky.

Kind of a shame about having to play the actual game though!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
EVERY MORNING WHILST WAKING UP I OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rarity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgP3OYgax_4

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cowcaster posted:

whomst?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

On the topic of cheevos/trophies, what's the most bullshit cheevo you've ever seen?

Besides the obvious ones of high MP grinds for games with dead multiplayer the '7 Day Survivor' for Dead Rising comes to mind for me.
Overwatch has one for hitting all 6 opposing players with Doomfist's Meteor Strike, a move that takes like 15 seconds to come out and shows the enemy exactly where it will land as you're targeting with plenty of time to get out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am thou

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Bowsette murdered by Nintendo, also possibly Luigette?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Overwatch has one for hitting all 6 opposing players with Doomfist's Meteor Strike, a move that takes like 15 seconds to come out and shows the enemy exactly where it will land as you're targeting with plenty of time to get out.

i think they must've changed it by now but there was a time after they reworked one characters resurrection ultimate from raising all dead allies around you in a radius to just being a normal ability on a cooldown that raises one person at a time, but left the achievement "raise 4 or more people at once" in there

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

He’s slow, loud, and dresses like a jerk
He's fast, and has Hastega

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hate how they started putting -a, -ga, and -ja on stuff. in my day we had fire 1, 2 , 3 and sometimes 4 and we liked it.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
in my day we had FIR2, LIT2, and CUR2 and also a bunch of other spells that I didn't really understand how they worked at the time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He's fast, and has Hastega

mine doesn't cause i made him go down Rikku's grid

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

big dia media mediarama mediarahan fan here

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

in my day we had FIR2, LIT2, and CUR2 and also a bunch of other spells that I didn't really understand how they worked at the time

In those ignorant times you could lose friends debating the functionality and usefulness of Demi.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why make a Death spell that doesn't work 99% of the time?!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hosed up if true

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Relax Or DIE posted:

to be fair like loving half of them, didn't

edit:

quote:

These bugs only apply to the NES version and are fixed in later versions:

Tmpr - Does not work at all.
Sabr - Does not work at all.
Xfer - Does not work unless the target is the party.
Lock - Always misses.
Lok2 - Instead of decreasing Enemy Evade% by 20, increases Evade by 20.
Hel2 - Works outside of battle as designed, works like Hel3 in battle.
A second glitch with magic involves recharging the charges for each spell. When using the House, the game will only recharge the party's spells after saving the game. If the player chooses not to save, the party will only recover its HP. Additionally, if one loads a game saved when using House, the party's spells will still be depleted.

i think there was also a spell to cure silence which technically worked except for the fact no enemy in the entire game inflicted silence, or something like that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

In those ignorant times you could lose friends debating the functionality and usefulness of Demi.

Then you eventually learn poo poo like XXXX never actually even did anything and you regret all the argument

edit hi5 cowcaster

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

so enemies can use it against you and make it seem fair because you can get it too

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
that's true but by god we tried a bunch of bullshit and had tons of wild theories

Most of the arguments around FF1 we had was about what was the best party, and we ragged on the dude who insisted that 3 fighter/red mage was the true path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Idk but i never use mudo or whatever in smt cause it never works when i need it