Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think he sighs once he's on his little farm because like it all worked? I just think it would be really funny if he got Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings-ed because 1) whoops and 2) these movies are entirely built around punching your problems and you can't do that if your problem turns into a little ash cloud.

Honestly given the gauntlet could be rebuilt just by snapping time back that would probably be a LESS interesting problem than you'd think. He'd blink out of resistance and the stones would just drop on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

The Russos said their intent was that Thanos had no idea if he'd survive it or not. He didn't choose to guarantee he gets spared.

i mean this is complete bullshit cause even if the gauntlet goes i don't think the stones are going to wipe themselves out and if thanos is gone there's nothing to stop someone from instantly undoing his bullshit. thanos has to survive for his idiot plan to work. and if the stones can erase themselves then thanos lacks conviction to see his plan through indefinitely

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elfgames posted:

i mean this is complete bullshit cause even if the gauntlet goes i don't think the stones are going to wipe themselves out and if thanos is gone there's nothing to stop someone from instantly undoing his bullshit. thanos has to survive for his idiot plan to work. and if the stones can erase themselves then thanos lacks conviction to see his plan through indefinitely

The gauntlet was visibly hosed, though, so it’s not like it someone could have just grabbed it and reversed the snap.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I’m under the impression that inconsistencies like Strange not slicing the arm off was intentional to ensure they went down the one-in-a-many-million timeline of genuine victory over Thanos, which demanded a certain script be followed to a certain point- $10 says for every arm sliced off scenario, you end with people arguing over the gauntlet, and horrifying things resulting from its attempted use and wars over being its next wielder. Thanos HAD to win to this point, to set up his own defeat and the eventual safe disposal of the gauntlet and gems without it being immediately followed by universal struggles for the Baddest Power Glove.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
I still suspect that Strange did something to the Time Stone that'll spur the plot on, somehow. But at this point that's less actual expectation and more hope; he got kinda short-changed in terms of having a proper effect, a trick from beyond the grave would help him out there. And since Doctor Strange was one of the better MCU movies, it really sucks to see him get jerked around in particular.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Somebody pointed out something from a scene in Dr. Strange (mobile posting, but around the 1-minute mark in this clip):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9ae-LhcLs
Strange phases in & out and it looks just like he turned to ash when Thanos snapped his fingers. The theory is that Strange didn't die but phased out the same way into an astral plane.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Everyone knows Antman is the secret to fixing the thanos problem. Or squirrel girl.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, can't be Squirrel Girl, she hasn't punked Dr Doom yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Marvel is going to throw Antman at Thanos' nostril at supersonic speed.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

The Great Escape and Bridge on the River Kwai are the same movie made from American and British perspectives, respectively.

In the American movie only two people survive the prison camp and it's treated like a happy ending. In the British one all but two get out alive and well and it's a tragedy.

The Great Escape is also told from the British perspective. The American characters (Steve McQueen, James Garner, and that other guy) were the exception to what was largely a camp full of British prisoners -- recall the "they're celebrating the revolution!" Fourth of July scene. It ends with the massacre of 50 prisoners. The film itself may have ended on a bit more of a positive note with Steve McQueen going back into the cooler again, but it wasn't a happy ending. Many men survived the camp, both in real life and in the movie; those who escaped and survived the escape weren't American (Australian, British, and I'm not sure what the Charles Bronson character was supposed to be, but he wasn't American).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Doc strange sees the only timeline in which they win but doesn’t bother to explain it to the other people he is with?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He wouldn't be much of a mystic if he did.

I hope we get to see a few timelines where things don't work out at various points in the sequence of events. Just to explain why things had to go just so.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Doc strange sees the only timeline in which they win but doesn’t bother to explain it to the other people he is with?

This has probably been picked and analyzed to death in the CD thread, but I would speculate the logic is that Doc saw the only timeline they win but it required him to keep silent about it. If anyone (i.e., Stark) had the knowledge that the good guys do win and can reverse everything he might do something to skew the events necessary, thus creating a fail state. He does tell the dude "it's the only way."

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope we get to see a few timelines where things don't work out at various points in the sequence of events. Just to explain why things had to go just so.

I'd love it if they just opened the film with it. Start with one that's only very slightly different from the one we've got without saying anything, let it play out like a brief recap before it diverts and then quickly show a bunch of others.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I'd love it if they just opened the film with it. Start with one that's only very slightly different from the one we've got without saying anything, let it play out like a brief recap before it diverts and then quickly show a bunch of others.

Like that VR scene in whichever Brosnan Bond.

Everything goes to poo poo and Strange kind of just materializes walking into the scene and shakes his head.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It would be especially cool if they used timeline vignettes for What If comedy bits.

e: if it turned out that, say, they've been secretly filming those for the past ten years along with all the movies, which it won't, I'd be forced to take back some of the more unkind things I've said about these movies.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Jan 4, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Doctor Strange: we have to put up a real good fight but let Star Lord find out his girlfriend is dead so while he’s mad with grief he fucks everything up and we lose. I’m forced to give the time stone to Thanos and he goes to Earth, completes the gauntlet, and kills half of all life. Everyone here except tony and mantis die. But it’s ok because a few years from now ant man will come back and use the quantum realm to time travel around and fix things but not before loving things up some more. We win and the world is rebooted using the gauntlet. Some people stay dead though.

Yeah I can see that explanation going well with the team.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It would be especially cool if they used timeline vignettes for What If comedy bits.

e: if it turned out that, say, they've been secretly filming those for the past ten years along with all the movies, which it won't, I'd be forced to take back some of the more unkind things I've said about these movies.

Different theaters will get different versions of the movie. Only one mystery theater will get the one where the Avengers win and the MCU can continue and nerds will have to scour the country to find it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

He wouldn't be much of a mystic if he did.

The Inhuman's show has a guy who's super power is this. He can "see the flaw in every eventuality". So there'd be a fight scene where he gets shot, and suddenly everything would freeze in place and he'd wander around looking at bullet trajectories and stuff. It was pretty cool.

Although he later falls of a cliff and almost breaks his neck.

There's also a very traumatic episode of Travellers with a similar gimmick, where someone gets their conciousness overwritten by successive time-travellers, and we see like 16 loops of them failing. It's horrifying and awesome.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Inhuman's show has a guy who's super power is this. He can "see the flaw in every eventuality". So there'd be a fight scene where he gets shot, and suddenly everything would freeze in place and he'd wander around looking at bullet trajectories and stuff. It was pretty cool.

Although he later falls of a cliff and almost breaks his neck.

There's also a very traumatic episode of Travellers with a similar gimmick, where someone gets their conciousness overwritten by successive time-travellers, and we see like 16 loops of them failing. It's horrifying and awesome.

I think I just saw that episode, with the skydiving brother and sister, right? Very good but the travelers are huge dicks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

hatelull posted:

This has probably been picked and analyzed to death in the CD thread, but I would speculate the logic is that Doc saw the only timeline they win but it required him to keep silent about it. If anyone (i.e., Stark) had the knowledge that the good guys do win and can reverse everything he might do something to skew the events necessary, thus creating a fail state. He does tell the dude "it's the only way."

Yeah, this is sorta what I figure. The success timeline essentially requires everyone to act as they would by default when put in that scenario, and knowing that would actually lead them to behave otherwise.

Especially when you take into account everyone he's explaining it to. Doctor Strange at that point is mostly surrounded by assholes convinced they know better. If he were explaining the plan in Wakanda he'd have been fine, most everyone there had their heads on straight.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So does that mean that in zero timelines did Thor aim for the head? Or he aimed for the head and that doesn't work somehow?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NtotheTC posted:

So does that mean that in zero timelines did Thor aim for the head? Or he aimed for the head and that doesn't work somehow?

He would have never aimed for the head because he wanted to watch as he pushed his axed into Thanos' chest. His hubris was always going to cost them a clutch victory.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

NtotheTC posted:

So does that mean that in zero timelines did Thor aim for the head?
He's not the brightest, bless him. :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Biplane posted:

I think I just saw that episode, with the skydiving brother and sister, right? Very good but the travelers are huge dicks.

That's the one!

Actual subtle moment - one of the travellers greedily munching on a ham sandwich while trying to save the day.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Another thing to remember is not everyone can handle an infinity stone. Remember the slave girl in Knowhere? She detonated and took out a big chunk of the Collector's stash.

Hell, Red Skull fondled the cube holding a stone and got banished across the universe for being a dick.

It's fair to say you gotta be one tough SOB to handle one. Hell, it took the entire guardians team to not get vaporized, and Quill is half godlike alien.

Thanos beat down the Hulk without using the power stone, and this was after Hulk was gonna smash the guy who destroyed Asgard. Thanos is in a league of his own. Even with a gauntlet, dude handled all 6 without detonating, all he got was a hosed up arm/hand.

I don't think there's much worry someone is gonna grab the glove and cause some damage to anything other than themselves.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Another thing to remember is not everyone can handle an infinity stone. Remember the slave girl in Knowhere? She detonated and took out a big chunk of the Collector's stash.

Hell, Red Skull fondled the cube holding a stone and got banished across the universe for being a dick.

It's fair to say you gotta be one tough SOB to handle one. Hell, it took the entire guardians team to not get vaporized, and Quill is half godlike alien.

Thanos beat down the Hulk without using the power stone, and this was after Hulk was gonna smash the guy who destroyed Asgard. Thanos is in a league of his own. Even with a gauntlet, dude handled all 6 without detonating, all he got was a hosed up arm/hand.

I don't think there's much worry someone is gonna grab the glove and cause some damage to anything other than themselves.

Pretty sure his hand was fine, it was just the gauntlet that was about to disintegrate.

Steve could handle the stones for sure tho. Out of sheer force of will and moral justice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

NtotheTC posted:

Memento posted:

He would have never aimed for the head because he wanted to watch as he pushed his axed into Thanos' chest. His hubris was always going to cost them a clutch victory.

Also, look at it from the perspective of Strange; it doesn't really matter if Thor can do better, because they can't make Thor do better. He was on a different planet, with a bunch of people who have no way to loop him in on any plan. He can only tell that group what to do, so while there are probably more avenues to victory if given total control over their side of it, where they're standing he's only got one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Pretty sure his hand was fine, it was just the gauntlet that was about to disintegrate.

Steve could handle the stones for sure tho. Out of sheer force of will and moral justice.

Nah, his arm is hosed up and burnt. It's not easy to see but it's definitely there. Can't remember if it's in the new trailer though. It's part of "the cost of using the gauntlet" or some such via the Russo bros. They wanted to make it less like the comics, where Thanos is a literal god. I can screen cap it later. On mobile now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

I bet it's like a loaded gun with a finger on the trigger. You go for the head and it might make the gauntlet go off and kill everyone or break reality or something worse. Thanos being alive long enough made Thanos able to control the gauntlet long enough to do exactly what he wanted, nothing more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Imagined posted:

Watching Django I just kept imagining how awkward it would feel to be one of the white actors in between takes. Wasn't there a Chappelle's Show skit about that, but with Roots?

Topher Grace has said that playing David Duke in BlackkKlansman was really hard because all of the awful, awful things he had to say.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
“It just came naturally to me,” the actor said in an interview.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
If they cut the arm off the muscle spasms would have just made it keep wriggling and clicking like some kind of galactic genociding metal eel

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Fingerless Gloves posted:

If they cut the arm off the muscle spasms would have just made it keep wriggling and clicking like some kind of galactic genociding metal eel

So if it kept killing half the galaxy every snap, would that be Zeno’s Genocide (Zenocide)?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yes, but it depends on whether the arm still counts as alive, cause then there's a 50% chance each time it gets smoked and the whole thing stops dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thor's just going for centre mass like a good operator, especially given it's a weapon he's only had for five minutes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

Topher Grace has said that playing David Duke in BlackkKlansman was really hard because all of the awful, awful things he had to say.

Apparently during the filming for the 1990 version of "It", the kid who played Henry Bowers kept apologizing profusely to the kid who played Mike Hanlon for all the awful things he had to say to him.

And on the filming of the slave drama "Amistad", Spielberg mandated that only the black crew members could put the shackles on the black actors.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
One of my favorite things about Spielberg is his respect for his actors/crew. The way he treated his child actors is 90% why he got such amazing performances in his most iconic films featuring child actors.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I can watch some of his movies for nostalgia and even though nothing he does interests me now, he's a brilliant director and pretty much only thinks about entertaining the audience. One movie I never watched was AI because it was supposed to be more of a Kubrick movie and one gets the feeling that Spielberg would have made a lot of changes and you'd be left with "this movie could have been so much better".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black August posted:

I’m under the impression that inconsistencies like Strange not slicing the arm off was intentional to ensure they went down the one-in-a-many-million timeline of genuine victory over Thanos, which demanded a certain script be followed to a certain point- $10 says for every arm sliced off scenario, you end with people arguing over the gauntlet, and horrifying things resulting from its attempted use and wars over being its next wielder. Thanos HAD to win to this point, to set up his own defeat and the eventual safe disposal of the gauntlet and gems without it being immediately followed by universal struggles for the Baddest Power Glove.

He'd just turn the glove inside out and put it on his other hand