Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Noctone posted:

BFV’s launch has been pretty smooth inasmuch as there aren’t really any major game-breaking bugs. But it definitely needs a lot of balancing and mechanical/QoL tweaks.

e: But speaking of BF4 imma toot my own horn again because this shot I hit last night makes me extremely horny: https://streamable.com/8jbpm

Hell, it’s making me horny for bf four too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sunday at work posted:

That probably should have been something other than pointless. Impossible to do fairly, maybe.

On weapon variety though I don't think there is any contest.

I mean if you don't count variants, both games probably had the same number of guns at launch. At least BF1 gave me variants to chase down service stars for.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nerf the KE7. It’s a goddamn laser at range and I find myself easily winning cross-map snipe battles with enemy Recons, its hip fire is excellent, and I have infinite ammo. Being prone in this game has almost zero disadvantages.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Midniter posted:

Nerf the KE7. It’s a goddamn laser at range and I find myself easily winning cross-map snipe battles with enemy Recons, its hip fire is excellent, and I have infinite ammo. Being prone in this game has almost zero disadvantages.

When I die in BFV there's an 80% chance it's to a KE7 proned out with a bipod from 70+ meters away.

Personally I like the Lewis.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The Midniter posted:

It’s crazy how many good support guns there are but yea the KE7 needs a nerf. I’ve never played support much but there’s a great variety of guns in this game (unlike in bf one which is trash for idiot babies) and for the support class in particular. Medic was always my top class but the combination of poo poo medic guns and great support and assault guns has me branching out.

Anyway, I really love my swaghound with autocannon but I can’t wait for more dope vehicles. I want the crusader, the German 222, the Hellcat. Gotta tank em all

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s such a night and day difference for supports from the BF1 launch where there was 1 usable gun and pages of discussion about which of the other guns were least terrible

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Noctone posted:

e: But speaking of BF4 imma toot my own horn again because this shot I hit last night makes me extremely horny: https://streamable.com/8jbpm

Signs of a novice LAV driver: 12/24 ammo count for primary.

Fire one round and reload man. Enjoy the extra 11 rounds.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 4, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FastestGunAlive posted:

It’s crazy how many good support guns there are but yea the KE7 needs a nerf. I’ve never played support much but there’s a great variety of guns in this game (unlike in bf one which is trash for idiot babies) and for the support class in particular. Medic was always my top class but the combination of poo poo medic guns and great support and assault guns has me branching out.

The FG-42 is a flaming trash pile of a gun and being on the same class that has the KE7 is ludicrous.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
So what’s the point of the first two rounds of grand operations? It doesn’t matter who wins the first two, only the final round matters. The only difference is if attackers earn bonuses by winning prior rounds.

But it seems pretty dumb that you can win the first two, and none of that matters if your team happens to lose round 3.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Grand Operations is dumb

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Signs of a novice LAV driver: 12/24 ammo count for primary.

Fire one round and reload man. Enjoy the extra 11 rounds.

Yeah bruh that's usually the first thing I do. In case you hadn't noticed, I was taking the other team's IFV and there were at least two tanks right at that flag. Was just trying to book it out of there. Firing a round would've blipped me on the minimap (granted, the TOW ended up doing that, but I couldn't pass up that shot).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
V has come to

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Remember friends, with time everything will be balanced.

The devs read the reddit page, and every time a 10,000 hour recon Redditor gets killed by X, they make nonstop posts about how the game is Bad, X is OP and should be nerfed. Then the devs nerf X, Y and Z, or anything that could feasibly kill a Redditor who has wedged themselves into the map boundary such that they can't be flanked or counter-sniped. Once they can go 2-0 completely unbothered in a 35 minute conquest map, only then will the game become Good.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 4, 2019

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

red19fire posted:

Remember friends, with time everything will be balanced.

The devs read the reddit page, and every time a 10,000 hour recon Redditor gets killed by X, they make nonstop about how the game is Bad, X is OP and should be nerfed. Then the devs nerf X, Y and Z, or anything that could feasibly kill a Redditor who has wedged themselves into the map boundary such that they can't be flanked or counter-sniped. Once they can go 2-0 completely unbothered in a 35 minute conquest map, only then will the game become Good.

Please don't dox me
:sweatdrop:

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
They'll never be able to nerf my determination to take out a camper.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

zooted heh posted:

okay sorry we'll continue to ask if anyone is currently online and wants to group up ONLY

Thank You

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
There are lots of snipers complaining that scope glint is too much... like, you already don’t appear on the minimap when you shoot. gently caress off with that little plateau near British spawn on Aerodrome that’s out of bounds for the Germans, too. They love sitting up there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

There are lots of snipers complaining that scope glint is too much... like, you already don’t appear on the minimap when you shoot. gently caress off with that little plateau near British spawn on Aerodrome that’s out of bounds for the Germans, too. They love sitting up there.

Yeah that poo poo is annoying and really highlights the lack of mortars or even emplaced howitzers in the game. Wouldn't it be great if one of the towable cannons was a 'target circle on the minimap' howitzer instead of a 'aim down the barrel' cannon?
Plus it would give aircraft targets to bomb instead of randomly dropping on an objective and hoping to hit someone, or trying to hit tanks. I feel like aircraft are even more useless to playing the objectives or supporting infantry in this game than previous ones. I think I've only been killed by one once so far, whereas I've shot down plenty with AA guns.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 4, 2019

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The junkers is the only plane I can get ground kills with and that’s simply due to the large payload. With the Stuka I’m just blindly dropping on flags with little effect. I can usually see tanks from the air but because my Stuka isn’t upgraded I can only drop one bomb at a time due to the long reload, giving vehicles plenty of time to repair. And I can’t upgrade my Stuka because I don’t get many kills with it. Haven’t tried much with the mosquito but it may be easier since it has four bombs. I still need to finish upgrading the fighters, see how they do with bombs.

I agree that a howitzer would be great. I can understand removal of the mortar, even if I don’t agree with it, but howitzers or non-gadget mortars would be fine because there would only be a few. Also give us a squad call in, less expensive than the V2 and with smaller radius and damage. You could even have a smoke variant.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Planes aren't effective against ground targets because you get like 4 bombs, then you have to fly back to re-arm, and you still have to wait 30 seconds to reload.

I'm seriously not digging planes after that first big patch.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Planes being bad is good. Planes can eat poo poo forever after the bullshit that were trench darts in BF1.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Live At Five! posted:

Planes being bad is good. Planes can eat poo poo forever after the bullshit that were trench darts in BF1.

Planes can eat poo poo when all they do is fight each other, not affecting the outcome of the battle below. I agree the darts in BF1 were bullshit, but it sucks when a number of the players are caught up in a dog fight that has little to no merit on the fight below.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

FastestGunAlive posted:

The junkers is the only plane I can get ground kills with and that’s simply due to the large payload. With the Stuka I’m just blindly dropping on flags with little effect. I can usually see tanks from the air but because my Stuka isn’t upgraded I can only drop one bomb at a time due to the long reload, giving vehicles plenty of time to repair. And I can’t upgrade my Stuka because I don’t get many kills with it. Haven’t tried much with the mosquito but it may be easier since it has four bombs. I still need to finish upgrading the fighters, see how they do with bombs.

I agree that a howitzer would be great. I can understand removal of the mortar, even if I don’t agree with it, but howitzers or non-gadget mortars would be fine because there would only be a few. Also give us a squad call in, less expensive than the V2 and with smaller radius and damage. You could even have a smoke variant.

I quite like the mosquito. I don't think it's the best plane but it's tons of fun. Go for the quad 20mm upgrade and watch bombers melt away in seconds.

The Blenheim isn't bad either. Not as good of a bomber as the junker but when upgraded with the extra passenger machine gun it becomes better at air to air imo.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Grand Operations is dumb

What’s the best mode to play?

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The FG-42 is a flaming trash pile of a gun and being on the same class that has the KE7 is ludicrous.

I use it like the 1907 SF. Run in and delete one to two guys, retreat and reload. I dont think it's a gun you sit and bipod with.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nottherealaborn posted:

Team Deathmatch.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

WALLGOD posted:

I use it like the 1907 SF. Run in and delete one to two guys, retreat and reload. I dont think it's a gun you sit and bipod with.

Yeah it's really meant to be a close quarters weapon. Even then the only real advantage it has is a faster reload and a slightly faster TTK. Even then I minted and gilded it just because I enjoy it so much.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"FG-42 works ok as a close quarters weapon" is true, and it's also true that Support is the class that gets the shotguns that do a much better job at close quarters than the FG-42 (if they didn't get those it might actually serve a purpose)

BTW I've minted it and partially gilded it too...it sucks. Can't tell you how many times I've been pushed and killed while reloading...there is no reason for the tiny clip AND the huge recoil.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

lambskin posted:

The Blenheim isn't bad either. Not as good of a bomber as the junker but when upgraded with the extra passenger machine gun it becomes better at air to air imo.

Blenheim MKIF is balla.

8x40lbs for infantry, 2x500lbs for armour. Alternate bombing runs while the other recharges. Also easier to use on your own, as there's only one turret to switch to for defence vs Ju88.

If you're playing alone it can be a crapshoot with bombing, but if you have bros playing asking them to mark/or spot targets can do wonders.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nottherealaborn posted:

Battlefield 1 Conquest

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

RCarr posted:

Battlefield 1 Conquest

C'mon, guy..

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Bananana posted:

C'mon, guy..

Ok fine, BF4 Conquest.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nottherealaborn posted:

Conquest + Breakthrough. Breakthrough is really, really fun and fits the Battlefield flow perfectly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nottherealaborn posted:

Frontlines Small is very good. I like it for a couple of reasons:

1) There's a lot of infantry action with just a few vehicles thrown in for flavor
2) Only the attacking side needs to worry about tickets
3) But the attacking side can change over the course of the match
4) There's a time limit that you'll actually hit sometimes, which means it's relevant
5) Smaller teams but all focused on one objective means it's a little less random-feeling
6) It's actually pretty hard to completely win the mode and blow all 3 objectives at the end, so you never feel counted out. Unlike Conquest when you're at 120-340 and it's over in all but name.

I'm surprised the mode doesn't get more love, it's very good.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah Breakthrough and Frontlines are the best modes.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The Bananana posted:

C'mon, guy..

Bf one conquest actually owns. Who wouldn’t want to still slog through Argonne forest with fifty of their best friends, each with a hellreigel, over thirty years later

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

Bf one conquest actually owns. Who wouldn’t want to still slog through Argonne forest with fifty of their best friends, each with a hellreigel, over thirty years later

Hahahaaha

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW I have a legit problem with the way this game handles airplanes; the Specializations are nearly required for the planes to perform at an acceptable level and new players with no Specializations just get absolutely owned by frequent flyers with full trees.

It's not helped by the fact that lots of players bail out/crash their planes during evasive manuevers when you're close to downing them...it's just painful

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW I have a legit problem with the way this game handles airplanes; the Specializations are nearly required for the planes to perform at an acceptable level and new players with no Specializations just get absolutely owned by frequent flyers with full trees.

It's not helped by the fact that lots of players bail out/crash their planes during evasive manuevers when you're close to downing them...it's just painful

Nothing Worth Having Is Easy™, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW I'm going to predict the Soviet planes by category:

Fighters: La-5 and La-7
Medium Bomber: IL2 Sturmovik
"Heavy" Bomber: PE-2