Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Ravenfood posted:

Lucky's skill changes rebalanced to vanilla battle speeds would be perfect for me, but sadly it is not to be.

I've not tried it but there is a "faster battles" submod up on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The ideology eater posted:

I've not tried it but there is a "faster battles" submod up on steam.

Yeah but it just reduces some numbers across the board instead of taking the same idea behind the skills and balancing them for vanilla units.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I really wish there was a "Total kills" stat on units, i bet these guys would be 10k+ by now, I basically dumped the same amount of micro I normally reserve for cav into them and it sure have payed off. :allears:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Noir89 posted:

I really wish there was a "Total kills" stat on units, i bet these guys would be 10k+ by now, I basically dumped the same amount of micro I normally reserve for cav into them and it sure have payed off. :allears:

Even if you are just roasting goblins, 430 kills with only using about half of their ammo is pretty absurd. How do you use them?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I dont know posted:

Even if you are just roasting goblins, 430 kills with only using about half of their ammo is pretty absurd. How do you use them?

Irondrakes are completely broken against the AI in city battles if you have your general/thane block the street while the irondrakes light everyone up.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm absolutely horrible at using chariots in this game. I also just don't really like them, aesthetically.

I'm way too lazy to manually manage cycle charging with chariots and skirmishing units, which is basically the entire reason that I have AI General installed.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ZeusJupitar posted:

The one time I started a Lokir campaign the level 35 delf pirate declared war on me five turns in and destroyed my starting black ark. Has anyone else had this happen?

I found his starting black ark is kind of a liability and very difficult to defend. I didn't have that exact thing happen, but I had Teclis and the nearby Skaven minor clan constantly try to sneak out and take it down if I left it nearby.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

I dont know posted:

At work so it might not look 100%.

I sieges I use them like Vargs said, lord/hero tanks while firedrakes burn everything.

In fiels battles i regularly get 200+ kills on them, and use this formation:

code:

_ _        _ _
/     \ _ /      \
Irondrakes is the center line in the "V", quarrelers in behind the frontline on the flanks, arty and slayers in back, greatweapon longbeards as reserves.

Force AI to attack with artillery, when the lines merge, use irondrakes to burn the enemy units exposed flank, when a part have been cleared, move that part of the front forward and advance with the drakes so they can keep burning.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Finally got a decent way into a Vsea campaign, and man, Noctilus is probably the slowest start I've ever had in a TW game and even around turn 75 its still way slower than, say, turn 30 as the Dwarfs/VC/Empire would be since there aren't really any threats and you don't have a super specific goal besides kill pirate fleets.

I've finally done a lot of that and gotten the first sea shanty and stuff, I guess I'm going to start conquering territory since to win I technically need to take over most of the old world. Or is that better done after getting all the shanties and finishing the pirate stuff? I'm just a little tired of sailing around with the Dreadfleet and there's only two pieces of eight left.

Also how important is it to collect every map? Without cities I have a low agent limit and it takes forever to send people all the way across the map to dig up treasure

ed: also I could have sworn the Vsea DLC added some human units to one of the undead factions to reflect the mortals they dominated, was I just hallucinating that?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Frog Act posted:

Finally got a decent way into a Vsea campaign, and man, Noctilus is probably the slowest start I've ever had in a TW game and even around turn 75 its still way slower than, say, turn 30 as the Dwarfs/VC/Empire would be since there aren't really any threats and you don't have a super specific goal besides kill pirate fleets.

I've finally done a lot of that and gotten the first sea shanty and stuff, I guess I'm going to start conquering territory since to win I technically need to take over most of the old world. Or is that better done after getting all the shanties and finishing the pirate stuff? I'm just a little tired of sailing around with the Dreadfleet and there's only two pieces of eight left.

Also how important is it to collect every map? Without cities I have a low agent limit and it takes forever to send people all the way across the map to dig up treasure

ed: also I could have sworn the Vsea DLC added some human units to one of the undead factions to reflect the mortals they dominated, was I just hallucinating that?

You shouldn't conquer anything as him actually, your starting city should be good enough to take you to the endgame and it's more profitable to just put pirate coves everywhere and sack everything.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1081203653879492608

Really neat of CA to do this, Drunk Flamingo is a huge influencer for this game mod wise!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

You shouldn't conquer anything as him actually, your starting city should be good enough to take you to the endgame and it's more profitable to just put pirate coves everywhere and sack everything.

Word, that's what I've been doing thus far, I rarely actually achieve victory conditions in TW games so conquering stuff isn't critical. I'm sort of irritated at myself for only just now discovering that only Saltspite can recruit human units which I was pumped about, lore-wise, but had forgotten about until I ran into some Sartosans. They also seem like an extremely good replacement for zombies, like, the Militia have better stats in melee than deckhands and are almost as good as the pistol zombies at range, only simultaneously.

Oh well, I don't think I'm gonna start over 75 turns in just for two units, but I'm really sorely tempted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Frog Act posted:

Word, that's what I've been doing thus far, I rarely actually achieve victory conditions in TW games so conquering stuff isn't critical. I'm sort of irritated at myself for only just now discovering that only Saltspite can recruit human units which I was pumped about, lore-wise, but had forgotten about until I ran into some Sartosans. They also seem like an extremely good replacement for zombies, like, the Militia have better stats in melee than deckhands and are almost as good as the pistol zombies at range, only simultaneously.

Oh well, I don't think I'm gonna start over 75 turns in just for two units, but I'm really sorely tempted.
I almost started my empire run over once I got the DLC that opens up Free Company because I like them so much I may print a shirt. Lining them up checkerboard with Hand Gunners as the back line in the checkerboard just mows things down, especially with Gelt (who I was dumb and didnt recruit till like turn 80).

edit: or deploy them on the flanks then swinging them out wide to flank and fire into the sides/backs of fools.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 4, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You haven't experience pure, sulfury bliss until you have a line of free company militia backed up by handgunners and artillery with missile cavalry popping in and out. I wish smoke really was realistically persistent in this game. Sure the free company will get chopped to bits but not before they drown bad bois in bullets.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Man, Saltspite has a pretty dope starting spot, actually. Sartosa being a one-city region makes it a decent home base and it has a really interesting lore thing going on with unique buildings and trade resources, plus you're in a position to immediately start loving with the Tileans and Border Princes, instead of sailing around for forty turns. The only issue is the first city you're ostensibly supposed to take, Miragliano, is pretty difficult to attack with the starting army and by the time you've rebuilt it, they've shat out like five stacks of spearmen.

Probably stupid to start over 80 turns in so I'll likely go back to Noctilus but dang I wish I had chosen her first, she has a cooler roster and flavor

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jokes posted:

You haven't experience pure, sulfury bliss until you have a line of free company militia backed up by handgunners and artillery with missile cavalry popping in and out. I wish smoke really was realistically persistent in this game. Sure the free company will get chopped to bits but not before they drown bad bois in bullets.
That is essentially what I do, in one way or another. It works against everything but Chaos and maybe Dwarves. Since I got Free Company unlocked so late into my campaign I had piles of Gold Chevron Crossbowmen so I would often do Free Company then Hand Gunners then Crossbowmen.... entire units would disappear when they got into range. Then I started backing them up with Hellstorm Rocket Batteries and lol.

One thing I want to do is have an Empire army of entirely Vanguard Deploy units and some artillery. Always start in the face of the enemy army and just blap them from the get go. Hellstorms + Free Company + both kinds of the higher tier cavalry that have AP or Grenade Launchers.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Saltspite has an incredibly hard start versus Tilea, they brought 4000 Spearmen/Crossbowmen/Pistoliers to a fight on turn ten and absolutely crushed me just via pure numbers. I guess I have to try to lure them out and split their armies, but its nuts how quickly the AI accumulates doomstacks even with lovely units.

ed: maybe not so much hard as stalematey, but you dont want to go sailing and build coves elsewhere like I would as Noctilus because they're liable to swoop in onto Sartosa

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 4, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Saltspite has an incredibly hard start versus Tilea, they brought 4000 Spearmen/Crossbowmen/Pistoliers to a fight on turn ten and absolutely crushed me just via pure numbers. I guess I have to try to lure them out and split their armies, but its nuts how quickly the AI accumulates doomstacks even with lovely units.

ed: maybe not so much hard as stalematey, but you dont want to go sailing and build coves elsewhere like I would as Noctilus because they're liable to swoop in onto Sartosa

Sartosa has a big garrison, go a raidin' and a pillagin' and you can probably sail home to defend if they put some huge effort into trying to siege but nothing should be breaking through those walls by the time the city is level 3.

Worst case scenario, you see a big stack coming and can instantly raise dead a stack to defend from the high level lord and plentiful gold you have from the raiding and coves you've setup.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i've found saltspite's start pretty manageable tbh, i managed to take the walled city in tilea without actually landing any troops on the walls, just needed like 4 mortars, 2 cannons, queen bess (all easy enough to get) and a gunnery wight and a bunch of deck hands in front to eat poo poo while my guns blew up some italians

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How do you get a Queen Bess early on, it takes me a good bit of time to level my LL to 12, thats a fair few battles

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Frog Act posted:

How do you get a Queen Bess early on, it takes me a good bit of time to level my LL to 12, thats a fair few battles

it's gamey as gently caress but i just keep sacking the minor settlement in tilea to farm experience

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Whorelord posted:

it's gamey as gently caress but i just keep sacking the minor settlement in tilea to farm experience
Until the game is better at determining that I utterly crushed an evenly matched foe and thus rewarding me a Decisive win I wont feel bad at all about doing this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Have there been any mods that add the Pirate Cove system to the Skaven?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are there any mods that make Outrider's Repeater Handguns, well, Repeater Handguns, firing in rapid bursts rather than just regular riflemen but on horses?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Lol I never thought of that but I might start over and try it because I’m my dreadfleet game I only have one lord over level 5 to occupy an office and I think I just spent way too long farting around the ocean stealing dubloons

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Close, indeed.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Frog Act posted:

Lol I never thought of that

That's a thing that's nice in Empire playthroughs too. The dwarf hold full of orcs past Marienburg usually becomes a training academy for new officers.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Charles Mansion posted:

Close, indeed.
How'd you do this? Do the RoS Ushabti stay on the field if your last real unit has disintegrated?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I must say that I have been rather impressed by this game after not buying the first one and ignoring Napoleon and Attilla because of how bad Empire was. However, it still amazes me that Autoresolve is still so bad. There is no way I can manually fight a battle and lose literally zero men, but autoresolve does the same one and I lose 250. Its mindboggling.

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm glad you said that - I had one of the Sudoku's figured out and I was rather certain of the answer but then it told me that I was wrong so I was really confused. And yeah its hard to try to figure out the circular ones without being able to actually move them - once i realized the idea is that you move both inner spots with the colored lines and then see where it lines up I think I found what the answer would have been, but ehh whatever. Thanks for the link.

I captured a screen shot, printed and cut out the drat wheels. Turned them in place and taped for later reference.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I must say that I have been rather impressed by this game after not buying the first one and ignoring Napoleon and Attilla because of how bad Empire was. However, it still amazes me that Autoresolve is still so bad. There is no way I can manually fight a battle and lose literally zero men, but autoresolve does the same one and I lose 250. Its mindboggling.

It does this to encourage the AI to engage you. Otherwise it'll always run away unless it has Great Odds. Yes its annoying, but it "works"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Toasterwarrior, are you still playing Luckys Overhaul? I have been getting random crashes lately and it's hard to narrow down the cause because I have a lot of submods running - Mixu's legendary lords submod, home region movement bonus, old world Rites submod, etc.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Frog Act posted:

Reposting some advice I gave friends who started playing the Sea Daughter:

DangerDan posted:

A good way to start as Aranessa is raise a shitload of dead in the water (like 6-7 units), sack the minor Tilea settlement and put up a +Money cove there on the first turn, dig up the treasure immediately afterwards, and start work on a Cannonery Shed in Sartosa for later. Also probably fire the Gunnery Bombers, they're not particularly helpful early on in my experience.
The next turn you can sack the minor again for free XP and then move back to Sartosa to recruit up 4 mortars + fill out your starting stack with raise dead garbage.
After that you can kind of need to bait the main Tilean army into fighting you in the open rather than inside Miragliano. I usually just go on the seas and hover around Mirag until he decides to come and fight (he will because V.Coast autoresolve is trash + balllllls)
After that immediately siege Miragliano and just take the fight instantly. Shell their walls while melee zombies eat the arrows from their wall towers until the garrison is completely loving trashed.
You can send Aranessa up the opposite end of your bombardment area to infiltrate and kill some units on the walls too. The Tilean mortars will bombard her while she fights and blow up their own dudes like pubbies in a Battlefield game.
Once you secure Miragliano you can clean up the Tilean minor whenever you want and just focus on putting down rebellions for a bit (the lack of corruption suuuuuucks).
Once Mirag's public order is under control, the world is your oyster. I can comfortably get Miragliano by turn 8-10 regularly and have Tilea eliminated by 13.

Having two 10-slotter settlements that early is sweet as hell because it lets you mess around with a second stack sooner for even more pirate adventures.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Toasterwarrior, are you still playing Luckys Overhaul? I have been getting random crashes lately and it's hard to narrow down the cause because I have a lot of submods running - Mixu's legendary lords submod, home region movement bonus, old world Rites submod, etc.

Yeah, I've had some weird save crashes and even went to Lucky's discord to see what's up. Here's the weird thing: I've managed to salvage a turn 60 Empire game by turning off Advanced AI for that one specific turn where all save attempts crash the game, getting past it, and then turning Advanced AI back on. Give it a try if you're using AA.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

How'd you do this? Do the RoS Ushabti stay on the field if your last real unit has disintegrated?

They do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I've had some weird save crashes and even went to Lucky's discord to see what's up. Here's the weird thing: I've managed to salvage a turn 60 Empire game by turning off Advanced AI for that one specific turn where all save attempts crash the game, getting past it, and then turning Advanced AI back on. Give it a try if you're using AA.

I didn't even have Advanced AI active at the time, but I added it, as well as Community Framework Mod and it worked again. I think the latter was the solution, which does some juju under the hood to help ensure any scripting conflicts don't cause the whole thing to implode when you load it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I didn't even have Advanced AI active at the time, but I added it, as well as Community Framework Mod and it worked again. I think the latter was the solution, which does some juju under the hood to help ensure any scripting conflicts don't cause the whole thing to implode when you load it.

Really? Man, I mentioned to Lucky that TW modding sounds crazy as gently caress when two mods that technically should not be interfering with each other at all end up leading to the save game crash, which is extremely weird in of itself because the game gets to a state where you can't write it into a file but works fine when in memory.

Well, at least we managed to salvage our games.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Yeah the save game crashes really confused me. Its bad enough when you have like 15 mods running and you're trying to narrow down the one that isn't letting the game start in the first place, but just having the game randomly decide to quit when you hit end turn or manually save was frustrating.

Lately I've been having a particularly hard time getting Landmarks of the Old World to work, even following Luckyspade's advice it is just a no go so far and I don't get what is so drat complicated about just adding a few more buildings to the game.

Old World Rites is surprisingly stable considering the complexity of some of the rites. Though they really tried to err on the side of caution by making most of the rites REALLY overpriced for what you get. Right now one of the best rites I've used regularly was Rite of Imperial Steel, mainly because when combined with the provincial commandment makes state troops so cheap and high rank they're practically free. So mid-late game you have a way to muster nearly an entire army's worth of troops at very short notice which is actually pretty useful for the Empire player.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've had a game where the goddamn Empire Separatists threw a Steam Tank at me on turn 6 or so using the Imperial Gunpowder rite. It wasn't pleasant, though to be fair, I'm pretty sure OWR has been inconsistent with unlocking the rites and is therefore bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The way pathing from sea to land work when ordering a movement or attack drives me fuckin nuts. If you want to go ashore somewhere specific you have to sail right up next to it and then go ashore there or else the game will assume you want to spend three to six extra turns walking there from a slightly closer to you beach for no reason at all, its like it can't generate optimal routes on water despite it usually being totally unobstructed