Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When did What a Time to Be Alive podcast start talking about how Roseanne died in the show? Episode 55 started getting back on that train but I wanna get back to the first appearance of that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

RareAcumen posted:

When did What a Time to Be Alive podcast start talking about how Roseanne died in the show? Episode 55 started getting back on that train but I wanna get back to the first appearance of that bit.

I believe it's episode 49.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

evilpicard posted:

For fans of longform journalism a new podcast drops next week called Thunder Bay. Canada's own Podcast Emperor Jesse Brown sent a reporter to an isolated Northern Ontario city for a year to investigate corruption, racism, and maybe murder?

Trailer is up now:

http://www.canadalandshow.com/shows/thunder-bay/

They're doing a hell of a job with this one. It's pretty heavy and full of moments that make me think, "wtf is wrong with these people!?"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mrfart posted:

Gave this one a go today and it's not for me. Maybe there's just too many similar podcasts like it.
I liked small town murders a bit more. But they mostly seem to go for very open-and-shut cases, usually with innocent, oblivious victim living idyllic life when they fall prey to some horrible monster.
And after describing the murder in horrible detail and just how hosed up the perpetrator was, they relish in the fact that he got the dead penalty.

I can see the attraction, though. And I'm not saying I'm above it.

Hey, thanks for the rec for Small Town Murders. I prefer crime shows that focus on actually solved cases. I also like that these guys give you the history of the town the crime happened in, that lends a cool context to events.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The only true crime show I stuck with is Generation Why. The hosts muted delivery makes the horrible stuff more bearable. They don't get excited or angry, and talk like a bunch of librarians on tranquilizers. But somehow that works for me.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

mike12345 posted:

The only true crime show I stuck with is Generation Why. The hosts muted delivery makes the horrible stuff more bearable. They don't get excited or angry, and talk like a bunch of librarians on tranquilizers. But somehow that works for me.

I also generally enjoy this one although as the thread has said before their views on things are a little off sometimes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
What is the best android app for podcasts?

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Version 3.3.68 of beyondpod.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If you're willing to pay (there's an ad supported free version to try) then Podcast Addict is a great choice. Lots of features, frequent updates, never had a reason to look for anything else.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DrGonzo90 posted:

Version 3.3.68 of beyondpod.

Azathoth posted:

If you're willing to pay (there's an ad supported free version to try) then Podcast Addict is a great choice. Lots of features, frequent updates, never had a reason to look for anything else.

Thanks! I'll give Podcast Addict a go first. BeyondPod has a lot of recent bad reviews.

Maute
Jan 15, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Pocketcasts.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If anyone is into Stone Clearing make sure to listen to Stone Clearing with Richard Herring!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did the No Sleep Podcast disappear from anyone else's podcast app as well?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any ideas why my downloads are insanely slow on Podcast Addict for Android? I can download a 100MB episode in 20 seconds on my PC, but the exact same episode on my phone downloads at 30 KB/s. They're both on the same WiFi network, 4G is turned off, and everything else on my phone works perfectly/at the correct speed. The problem persists even when I force quit the app or reboot the phone. This affects every podcast in my library, not just once from specific services.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

Any ideas why my downloads are insanely slow on Podcast Addict for Android? I can download a 100MB episode in 20 seconds on my PC, but the exact same episode on my phone downloads at 30 KB/s. They're both on the same WiFi network, 4G is turned off, and everything else on my phone works perfectly/at the correct speed. The problem persists even when I force quit the app or reboot the phone. This affects every podcast in my library, not just once from specific services.

I had this problem a couple years ago, there was something screwed up with how it was saving files and the only way I could fix it was to clear the app data. It resulted in losing what I had downloaded. Don't forget to make an OPML backup if you do it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have a similar problem to this but it only affects exactly 1 feed. I use BeyondPod on Android and sometimes a 50mb download from this one feed can take 15mins, with multiple fails/retries. Whereas other feeds that are often twice as large complete in less than a minute with no errors.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcast/tin-foil-hat
The Tin Foil Hat podcast has been scratching my Art Bell itch. It's pitch perfect middle between fun skepticism and true believers. I would recommend it if you also wish Art Bell was around for Q-anon etc. The downside is that they are douchebag LA comedians.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Invisible Ted posted:

I believe it's episode 49.

Oh, many thanks, it's such a good section.

Also, Paul F. Tompkins is a delightful guest mainly because I am a sucker for people with a good contagious laugh.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I’ve been really enjoying Who Would Win? for a while now. Two nerds have a formal debate, with a moderator, as to who would win in a fight between two fictional characters. Just a heads up, they get very, very in depth with their research and justifications for their points. I showed one of my male friends the Spider-Man vs Luke Skywalker episode, and his response was “Jesus Christ, I can feel MY vagina drying up!”

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
I searched for a metal thread going back 3 pages and didn't see one.

Is there a thread for metal or is it so niche it got absorbed by a megathread like this?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I searched for a metal thread going back 3 pages and didn't see one.

Is there a thread for metal or is it so niche it got absorbed by a megathread like this?

It'd probably be in the music forum, this is podcasts

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lampsacus posted:

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcast/tin-foil-hat
The Tin Foil Hat podcast has been scratching my Art Bell itch. It's pitch perfect middle between fun skepticism and true believers. I would recommend it if you also wish Art Bell was around for Q-anon etc. The downside is that they are douchebag LA comedians.

So I went back and listened to the first ep of this and there's a dude insisting that Infowars is the most believable news source around, so... does it ever get better, or can I stop now and save my brain cells?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So I went back and listened to the first ep of this and there's a dude insisting that Infowars is the most believable news source around, so... does it ever get better, or can I stop now and save my brain cells?
They totally change their opinion on infowars and everything based on who is the guest so pick a topic/comedian you enjoy? Otherwise, yeah it definitely leans libertarian so I would save your brain cells.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would be grateful for recommendations in relation to:

a) music podcasts generally; and more particularly

b) music podcasts which have the spirit of a long form article.

Already on my radar (but as yet unlistened to) are “Hit Parade” which examines individual hit songs, and “Cocaine and Rhinestones” which is a history of country music.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Wheat Loaf posted:

Already on my radar (but as yet unlistened to) are “Hit Parade” which examines individual hit songs, and “Cocaine and Rhinestones” which is a history of country music.

Check out Switched On Pop! I absolutely love it. And I’m sure you already know this, but Song Exploder is sort of the gold standard of this genre.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lost Notes has been pretty good so far. The one on Louie Louie was a blast.

https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/lost-notes

quote:

An anthology of some of the greatest music stories never truly told.
This eight-part series includes a look at the FBI investigation into a classic rock anthem, unheard conversations with Captain Beefheart, a critical examination of New Edition’s basketball connection and the chronicle of a man plucked from Folsom Prison by Johnny Cash and thrust into country music stardom.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Disgraceland is good, and the Venn intersection of what you want and true crime.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I only listened to the Norwegian black Metal episode of Disgraceland but it was a little too far on the hokey scripted end of things for me.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What's a good mental health podcast for people with anxiety (or just general) I can recommend a family member, someone who's extra sensitive to feeling talked down to.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What's a good mental health podcast for people with anxiety (or just general) I can recommend a family member, someone who's extra sensitive to feeling talked down to.

Mental Illness Happy Hour with Paul Gilmartin?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dissect will spend a season dissecting an album by devoting a podcast to each track on an album and analyzing it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Strong Songs is an in-depth analysis of hit songs, but the host is a musician himself and gets down to the level of key, time signatures, chord progressions. It's fun.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TV Zombie posted:

Dissect will spend a season dissecting an album by devoting a podcast to each track on an album and analyzing it.

To save anyone else googling it:
S3: Blonde by Frank Ocean
S2: MBDTF by Kanye West
S1: To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

~Coxy posted:

Season 2 is wonderful. I have not listened to the others because I am old and only like old music.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

There is a special mini series on the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill that was posted after season 3.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been enjoying Broken Record with Malcolm Gladwell and Rick Rubin.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Quadramind posted:

I've been enjoying Broken Record with Malcolm Gladwell and Rick Rubin.

So on these music podcasts do they actually play the track alongside the explanations? Years ago, I came across one, the name of which I can't remember, but they wouldn't play the track with their talk which seemed incredibly pointless to me.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I posted this a hundred years ago re: musical podcasts

mike12345 posted:

If you're interested in classical music or want to learn about the fine nuances between various conductors and performers, check out

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/la-tribune-des-critiques-de-disques

Basically they take one work, and then listen to different recordings with different orchestras and conductors, then discuss what makes them special, why this is better or worse etc. It's really good for learning to listen and discovering how subtle changes can influence the mood of a piece. Really excellent.

e: you need to speak french

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Requiem metal podcast is pretty great for exploring one facet of metal at a time whether it’s a band, an album, or maybe a scene. Lately they’ve been focusing on proto metal- I haven’t heard any of them but I’m looking forward to catching up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Imagined posted:

I like when a podcast tries to lend its popularity to a new podcast by subbing one of the new podcast's episodes into the popular podcast's feed. 99% Invisible does this all the time and so far I've never ended up subscribing to any of the shows they've promoted this way.

I do not like it but then again it’s how I found Alice Isn’t Dead. Although then again the rest of the Nightvale productions have not been for me.