Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

paragon1 posted:

Yeah he probably doesn't consider the war to be over and is also Liquid Snake.
Technically if you destroy the entire multiverse in a blaze of relentless violence you've ended war and solved the problem of child soldiers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PetraCore posted:

Technically if you destroy the entire multiverse in a blaze of relentless violence you've ended war and solved the problem of child soldiers!
:ocelot:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
All the big boy are just the meths from altered carbon living in perpetual holding patterns waiting for a stiff fisting by Allison to break up the eternal boredom of their immortal lives.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had a sudden realization re allison and her home world

ALLISON: cio what the gently caress is that hideous creature and why is it so ripped

CIO: its a kangaroo, gapeygob

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you're overlooking the terrifying possibility that, in lieu of the Great Barrier Reef, there's a large portion of the South Pacific colonized by aquatic kangaroos

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
a universe in which Tank Girl replaces The Shape of Water ? horrifying.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

thatbastardken posted:

I think I'd be fine with a universe where Guillermo del Toro makes a Tank Girl movie

Edit: holy poo poo there's a new kickstarted Tank Girl book comic out soon unnnnf

Edit edit:

abbadon posted:

Hey chaps, the 1.8 update for the mech game I work on in my free time is finally up. You can grab it for free here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QVYHu181vIleWd4IQMVwZBp8LCRcrUrX

It's a pretty expansive mech RPG with modular customization, crazy lore, and a lot of my mech art. Check it out!

"I work on in my free time"

548 pages

:stare:

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 3, 2019

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rotten Red Rod posted:

548 pages

Also free, just like the comic. Only thing I've honestly felt bad about reading for free so I made my first Patreon subscription ever...because this is Moebius quality poo poo. And I haven't even begun to talk about how the art is still less awesome than the story which hits all my buttons so hard.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you want to give a few bucks, I rolled the dice on the $8 volume 1 on Amazon. I got it the other day and it is the larger edition now.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

thatbastardken posted:

i mean, same basic thing but with kangaroos instead of fish yeah

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
daddy

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Never realized until today how much this takes from Elder Scrolls.

quote:

CHIM (/tʃɪm/ chim) has been described as the secret syllable of royalty. Many writings have made vague references to it throughout history, but despite its importance, there's a lack of information. It is best understood as a state of being which allows for escape from all known laws and limitations. It is the process of reaching some sort of epiphany about the nature of the universe and one's place in it, leading to a simultaneous comprehension of the full scope of existence as well as one's own individuality. CHIM is capitalized because it is from the Ehlnofex language, the language of the Ehlnofey who are believed to have been the progenitors of the modern races. It is an ancient sigil connoting 'royalty', 'starlight', and 'high splendor'.

CHIM
Mankar Camoran's Commentaries on the Mysterium Xarxes, Book Three, begins with "CHIM" in the Daedric alphabet and deals extensively with the topic. It begins with "The Tower touches all the mantles of Heaven [...] and by its apex one can be as he will. More: be as he was and yet changed for all else on that path for those that walk after. This is [...] the secret of how mortals become makers [CHIM], and makers back to mortals." (Though "the secret of how mortals become makers, and makers back to mortals" is a phrase more indicative of the related concept of Amaranth.) So one who knows CHIM is said to reside atop (or within) the Tower (i.e., Mundus) and possesses incomprehensible power to alter reality. By knowing CHIM, one experiences an ineffable sense of the godhead, which is what allows for escape from all known restrictions.

The Walking Ways are six interrelated paths to achieving divinity, or "mantling", of which CHIM is the fifth.] All paths seem to require some understanding of the Wheel, the structure of the Aurbis. According to Vivec, the first to understand the concept was Lorkhan, whose curiosity and desire for change drove him to the rim of the Wheel and beyond, where he looked back at the Aurbis sideways and thereby learned the name of God: I (as a wheel, observed from the side, is an "I"). Lorkhan then convinced the Aedra to join him in building Mundus, at the hub of the Wheel, in a venture to help others know CHIM and thereby escape all laws which constrained them. This attempt at CHIM failed, though why it failed has been the subject of intense disagreement and bloodshed from the dawn of creation to the present day. Some attribute the failure to a mistake, others to Lorkhan's malice; the circumstances are unknown, but Vivec seemed to suspect that the so-called failure only occurred so that others might know how not to fail. Vivec, who wrote extensively on CHIM, described it as reaching heaven by violence. He apparently learned of it from Molag Bal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think that was a thing since long before Elder Scrolls. Most fantasy cribs from an amalgam of millennia old myths and folktales.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Reaching heaven by violence in TES is, however, markedly different than in K6BD. When Vivec tells Nerevar, "Reach heaven through violence, then," Nerevar interprets it rather literally and proceeds to travel to one of the moons with axe in hand and begins to attack its craters, who proceed to make fun of him for being an idiot. In K6BD it'd be a valid tactic, but in The Elder Scrolls, "reach heaven through violence" is more "reach divinity/power through acting in accordance with your personal destiny and divinity."

Also CHIM literally means Royalty (or Starlight, or High Splendor).

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

M_Gargantua posted:

I think that was a thing since long before Elder Scrolls. Most fantasy cribs from an amalgam of millennia old myths and folktales.

The only references I can find to these things are from elder scrolls.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

spoken like someone who didn't murder vivec and get yagrum bagarn to jury rig the wraithguard for you defeating dagoth ur without the tribunal's help

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reach heaven through violence is still p metaphorical in k6bd

i mean it can be totally literal but its also a metaphor

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Not to mention one that cuts both ways, especially when violence is inescapable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there is no ethical consumption under violence

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

M_Gargantua posted:

Michael Kirkbride (who wrote the more esoteric stuff in TES) was definitely inspired by Vedic mythology, but in turn Abaddon admitted being influenced directly by Morrowind. The phrase "reach heaven by violence" definitely comes straight from Kirkbride; if you search it on the web you'll only find results talking about TES or K6BD (or both).
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/about/

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think I'd be fine with a universe where Guillermo del Toro makes a Tank Girl movie

Edit: holy poo poo there's a new kickstarted Tank Girl book comic out soon unnnnf

Edit edit:

548 pages

Abbadon writes the mechanics for Lancer but the majority of the worldbuilding and lore is actually written by Miguel Lopez. He's got a Patreon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

Abbadon writes the mechanics for Lancer but the majority of the worldbuilding and lore is actually written by Miguel Lopez. He's got a Patreon.

Yeah and Miguel's writing kicks rear end, it's highly recommended.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

M_Gargantua posted:

Not so much in this case, Kirkbride was influenced by Vedic stories and Advaita Vedanta but CHIM is a legitimately novel weird cosmotheological idea.

Plus Abaddon used to call the series "'36 Lessons of Vivec fan fiction" - the entire setting is his own, but a lot of the Royalty concepts come from Kirkbride. Ain't nothing wrong with that, either; nobody thinks a work is less its own thing because it has lords of Law and Order a la Moorcock, for example.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean the thing had a character based on an indie video game in the last arc and an exact line read from dark souls in the one before that it wears its inspirations on its sleeve just revel in it

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 5, 2019

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

who was the indie character-inspired?

that one slipped me by

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
KILL BOSS?

Cowcaster posted:

i think more than anything else it's just that kill boss is a little nod to ruiner's puppy, who's a dude, is all

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
No one knows what KILL BOSS identifies as, but there is almost certainly a gargantuan hog tucked into those jeans.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 5, 2019

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SunAndSpring posted:

No one knows what Kill Boss identifies as, but there is almost certainly a gargantuan hog tucked into those jeans.

i wish this is a literal hog and its named KILL MID BOSS.

also KILL BOSS fucks

Edit: please refer to it as KILL BOSS and not Kill Boss, its extremely important

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 5, 2019

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
When’s the next update due?

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Nothing But Hate posted:

When’s the next update due?

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1081333891942834182

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Awesome, thanks for that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

Not so much in this case, Kirkbride was influenced by Vedic stories and Advaita Vedanta but CHIM is a legitimately novel weird cosmotheological idea.

Plus Abaddon used to call the series "'36 Lessons of Vivec fan fiction" - the entire setting is his own, but a lot of the Royalty concepts come from Kirkbride. Ain't nothing wrong with that, either; nobody thinks a work is less its own thing because it has lords of Law and Order a la Moorcock, for example.

The ending of the words is AlYisUn.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

The ending of the words is AlYisUn.

Pretty sure she's more the Nerevarine than the Tribunal, in that context. Which would make Incubus, Vivec.
But also I don't think it maps.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

CHIM does take a lot of influence from the second big inspiration behind TES, Glorantha. Some of those ideas that enlightenment can Go Wrong, that it's not even necessarily a good thing... those are very much inspired by Illumination.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

reignonyourparade posted:

CHIM does take a lot of influence from the second big inspiration behind TES, Glorantha. Some of those ideas that enlightenment can Go Wrong, that it's not even necessarily a good thing... those are very much inspired by Illumination.

...that's actually from Vedic (and Hindu classical) sources. The demon king Ravana, for a famous example, did vast penance and attained vast enlightenment, such that he could demand Brahma give him a boon: he asked to conquer Heaven and be invulnerable to the power of the gods and demons.
This is why he's the antagonist of the Ramayana.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tollymain posted:

There is no consumption without violence.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

I loled

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
which k6bd characters listen to death grips

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think this guy is royalty http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-4239

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Thank you for finally getting me to read about Gamers Against Weed, this is great stuff 😊