Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
But one of the first Stands in Part 3 is a fly beetle! Also, Hermit Purple.

But yeah, I'd say Part 5 is a better handled version of Part 3 in terms of narrative structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Aw, it's a recap episode. :( That bites! I assume the new year is to be blamed for this

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The animators need a break to rest and prepare for three of the greatest episodes of the series they've ever done

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah we're one third of the way through the series, coming off a holiday and the next fight is one of the English fandoms favorite fights in Part 5 so I'm totally cool with them skipping on this week

Episode 13.5 seems to designate that it wont take away from the 39 episodes tho

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a clipshow.

But yeah, next fight. :getin:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

next sequence is definitely gonna be good. the animators deserve a week.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Telltolin posted:

Aw, it's a recap episode. :( That bites the dust!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But one of the first Stands in Part 3 is a fly beetle! Also, Hermit Purple.

But yeah, I'd say Part 5 is a better handled version of Part 3 in terms of narrative structure.
Oh yeah, we laughed quite a bit on Hermit Purple's weird rear end ability. Fly was pretty forgettable as a fight, though. But overall for some reason we thought that stands were all going to be just dudes who punch stuff harder than their owners could.
I guess it also comes from the fact that Parts 1 and 2 were mostly straight-up action with punching and/or weapons. It's not unreasonable to be surprised when we went from that to a dude who shrinks people, literally just the sun, or loving BABY STAND.

And while Part 5 has more story than just heroes going through locations, it didn't really bother me back then. Having better story is cool, but I'm just glad that we got better heroes after Part 3. It might be an unpopular opinion, but even though I fondly remember Crusader gang, right now I couldn't tell you a thing about what they were like. Stands, and big moments (which mostly involved making GBS threads and toilets) stick out, but not much more about them. (To be fair, that might be because there was barely anything other than stand battles). Protagonists since have only gotten better, and the chemistry between Part 5 characters is fantastic so far. I can't wait to learn more about these sexy weirdos.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the Crusaders are this weird mix of likable but also pretty bland and lacking in personality.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
What is this clip show you guys are talking about? It's a completely normal episode this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_bkxiKvnR0

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Avdol and Kayokin were pretty goddamn boring and the only thing people remember about Kayokin was that he likes licking cherries and the dumb milf jokes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah I'm just going to spoil something here: the next few weeks episodes aren't going to be stand battles, but a goddamn stand war.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just so tired of all these stand wars

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Avdol and Kayokin were pretty goddamn boring and the only thing people remember about Kayokin was that he likes licking cherries and the dumb milf jokes.

And sunbathing in his school uniform. Kakyoin was low-key hilarious.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Kakyoin was kind of memorable because he kept low-key revealing that he was a total goddamned weirdo. The cherry thing, the 'oh hi Jotaro I fantasise about your mom' thing, the feeding a baby poop thing... dude just did not have a filter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the fact that Rubber Soul ate a beetle as him and nobody thought anything was wrong.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So is there any new content whatsoever in this episode or should I go ahead and skip it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Skip.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the fact that Rubber Soul ate a beetle as him and nobody thought anything was wrong.

I mean, the Runaway Girl did but she just hadnt spent enough time around him I guess.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Potsticker posted:

Still the funniest moment in jojo

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The saddest thing about the Crusaders crew is that we only get to hear about most of the stupid poo poo they did between the fights second-hand.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Monaghan posted:

also that time he laid an egg

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kakyoin is great, because he's a character that no one can get a read on in or out of universe.

This is even the premise of two Stand battles. :v:

Hogama posted:

The saddest thing about the Crusaders crew is that we only get to hear about most of the stupid poo poo they did between the fights second-hand.

This is what DP should have added to episodes. :(

Granted, it'd make the Oingo Boingo thing less funny if we saw Jotaro doing the cigarette trick.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

also that time he laid an egg

:allears:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah I'm just going to spoil something here: the next few weeks episodes aren't going to be stand battles, but a goddamn stand war.

Ok, thanks for letting us know, we really appreciate it. Were so happy to hear. Please keep us updated.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Ok, thanks for letting us know, we really appreciate it. Were so happy to hear. Please keep us updated.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the next fight is good but don't oversell it. it kills it for people

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

go away manga posters

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think Araki really did learn his lesson from part 3 and I think part 4 really benefited from having downtime. you got to really see how Josuke and Oyukasu are good friends, by doing poo poo like grabbing Italian food and looking for lotto tickets.

That's actually a bit of a complaint I have with this show. I'd like some more downtime and allow for more character interaction not just them racing off to do the next task.I'm hoping that with all the main stand users abilities being shown off, that this'll happen.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 4, 2019

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the next fight is good but don't oversell it. it kills it for people

Its like the Italian food episode in part 4, or many other things. I'm proposing a new rule for this thread: when speaking about future events, manga readers can only say that they're "pretty good."

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Stairmaster posted:

go away manga posters

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I hope the next fight won't have blood in it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NOBODY likes the manga posters

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought the Stand War comment was facetious.

Surprisingly Dope posted:

I'm proposing a new rule for this thread: when speaking about future events, manga readers can only say that they're "pretty good."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Stairmaster posted:

Not even other manga posters!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

What is this clip show you guys are talking about? It's a completely normal episode this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_bkxiKvnR0

Stop hatin' and watch this pro loving click.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Guys, "joke spoilers" about future events are bad because they reveal to the uninitiated what WON'T be happening.

Like, especially with Jojo, you can't do the "well I'll say something so ridiculous they'll KNOW it's fake" thing. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is, shockingly enough, very bizarre, and lots of things have happened over the past 126(!) episodes that you'd have never seen coming at the start.
Remember, for the first one or two episodes, what you're watching might as well be an anime adaptation of Wuthering Heights.

Edit: I just remembered that the anime doesn't even have the manga's 2 page prologue, where an Aztec* priest-king wearing the Mask and sacrificing a virgin on top of a pyramid. Even that would be a better tone-setter).

*Or maybe Mayan? I'm sure 1986 Araki didn't know the difference. His years living in both just kind of blend together in his head.

Potsticker posted:

:eng101: And this hilarious, character-enriching moment was anime-exclusive! I don't believe the manga shows the real Kakyoin at any point during the Yellow Temperence fight.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 4, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m okay with no *real* JoJo this week because animators work ridiculously hard and deserve a holiday off at the very least

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

I hate myself so it checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
nobody likes brick snakes