Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Ori and The Blind Forest is fun as balls so far, but that beginning threw me for a loop. That was some Artex dying in the swamp poo poo. I thought this was just a light-hearted game about a kitty cat made of light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

King Burgundy posted:

I don't believe so.

Couldn't you do this on 360? I remember copying saves back and forth to cloud in the 360 dash for some of my bc games.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Finster Dexter posted:

Couldn't you do this on 360? I remember copying saves back and forth to cloud in the 360 dash for some of my bc games.

That's a completely different system. The 360 Cloud Save system got patched in much later as something they faked being an additional storage device in order that almost all the older games could work with it.

On the bone you can mostly just delete the local copy of your save.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah you could on 360. The only method of doing anything you have on the one is deleting them from the games individual manage game section.

Not sure if this was a deliberate decision to prevent people messing with their saves or what.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
drat is Celeste good. 150 deaths to get out of the hotel but I got the heart and the B side.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

enigmahfc posted:

Ori and The Blind Forest is fun as balls so far, but that beginning threw me for a loop. That was some Artex dying in the swamp poo poo. I thought this was just a light-hearted game about a kitty cat made of light.

I was having fun up until the tree flooding when suddenly I'm pressed for time and have to rely on an enemy deciding to shoot a projectile in order to progress. All before you drown of course. Killed the fun I was having.

Similar situation with Celeste and the being chased by your shadow a la Super Mario Galaxy. I'm going to restart with assist mode because sorry but repeating the same screen 100 times is actually not loving fun at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I was having fun up until the tree flooding when suddenly I'm pressed for time and have to rely on an enemy deciding to shoot a projectile in order to progress. All before you drown of course. Killed the fun I was having.

Don't worry, you have to do something similar but with even tighter timing and more "you couldn't possibly know this was going to kill you until it does" three more times after that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

enigmahfc posted:

Ori surprised me the opposite way - the beginning was exactly what I expected, but from the production values I assumed the rest would be some artsy walk-right simulator, when it's actually a really well-designed platformer! A classic, even. Had around 400 deaths in my first playthrough and loved every second.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Ruffian Price posted:

Ori surprised me the opposite way - the beginning was exactly what I expected, but from the production values I assumed the rest would be some artsy walk-right simulator, when it's actually a really well-designed platformer! A classic, even. Had around 400 deaths in my first playthrough and loved every second.

Yeah, so far Ori is like one of the best games I have played in a while, and I am at about 70% complete. The flooding and (later one) the wind tunnel escape took around 4 attempts each. Each section is about 1 1/2 long and turns out to be appropriately tense. Reminded of section of old-school platformers where timing and memorization pays off hardcore.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ruffian Price posted:

I have this installed, I think I'll check it out next.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Xbox 3 month digital code for $24.99, get 3 months for free.

quote:

Buy a 3 Month Xbox Live Gold Membership and receive an additional one at no charge.
This is a limited time offer.
Code valid through March 31, 2019.
Maximum of one token unit of eligible product per customer/or mailing address.
Offer only applies to digital content sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC (look for "sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC" on the content detail page) and all eBooks made available through Amazon.com. Digital content (except for eBooks) sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer.
Offer does not apply to physical goods.
Digital content and services may only be available to customers located in the U.S. and are subject to the terms and conditions of Amazon Digital Services LLC.
Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion, promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards

As an aside, CDKeys has a 12 month card for $44. Are they legit?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 7, 2019

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I used them, so I sure as heck hope so.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

IIRC, CDKeys are one of those sites that hijacks steam accounts and resells them, and other very shady poo poo, like G2A. I would avoid giving them any patronage.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

cdkeys.com is legit and I've bought over a dozen games/PSXbox subs off them with no issues for years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

IIRC, CDKeys are one of those sites that hijacks steam accounts and resells them, and other very shady poo poo, like G2A. I would avoid giving them any patronage.
Not true.

GUI posted:

cdkeys.com is legit and I've bought over a dozen games/PSXbox subs off them with no issues for years.

True. I’ve used them a few times with no issues and the site pops up on slick deals quite often.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I must be thinking of somewhere else, then. G2A has had keys canceled before, though.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-26-it-looks-like-ubisoft-is-going-after-third-party-key-sellers

If cdkeys is ok, nvm then.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cdkeys.com certainly sells keys they're not "supposed to", i.e. ones taken from retail versions from cheaper territories and the like; they're not officially licensed sellers.

Still, it's one of the most trustworthy grey market sites and has a pretty good reputation all around.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1085363543791288320?s=19

On one hand I hate how creators can remove any content they want from games these days. On the other hand though, flossing :barf:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BisterdDave posted:

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1085363543791288320?s=19

On one hand I hate how creators can remove any content they want from games these days. On the other hand though, flossing :barf:

Bothers me a lot less when it's a game that is very obviously designed to be subscribed to instead of bought.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's too early and I am dumb and without coffee.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 16, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
They dropped them because fortnite got sued and they don’t want to be sued. Your post suggests that fortnite is suing others-that’s not the case

Edit:beaten

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Did anybody actually use those dumb dances?

If you're character isn't doing that Clown Dance every time they win a race, i don't even know what to say.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Lmao the loving Carlton??? gently caress Fortnite no one at Epic invented that poo poo. Nor flossing either but especially not some poo poo from a 90s sitcom. Our IP laws and our old stanky judges are trash.

I don't have any love for those dances but it's the precedent set here that really bothers me.

I don't think you understand. Fortnite is getting sued by Carlton and the backpack kid for selling something they created. Microsoft is not getting sued (yet), but is preemptively removing them so that they can avoid being sued.

On the surface this all seems pretty frivolous but when you realize how brazenly Epic not only completely ignored copyright law (choreography has been subject to copyright law for like 50 years now), but flat out just sold the dances without giving a dime to the original creators, I've got to side with the creators.

It's one of those cases where Epic ruined it for everyone else by monetizing it. Had they just included the silly dances in the game without selling them separately, none of this likely happens.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can't copyright a dance, only a routine. I don't know if 4 seconds of moving falls under a routine but I would guess it doesn't.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

American McGay posted:

You can't copyright a dance, only a routine. I don't know if 4 seconds of moving falls under a routine but I would guess it doesn't.

Sure, but why spend the time and money litigating when you can just remove the two dances? The PR for trying to fight the suit might be negative as well.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

You can't copyright a dance, only a routine.

This isn't true. There is no distinction in American copyright law between a dance and a routine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mahoning posted:

I don't think you understand. Fortnite is getting sued by Carlton and the backpack kid for selling something they created. Microsoft is not getting sued (yet), but is preemptively removing them so that they can avoid being sued.

On the surface this all seems pretty frivolous but when you realize how brazenly Epic not only completely ignored copyright law (choreography has been subject to copyright law for like 50 years now), but flat out just sold the dances without giving a dime to the original creators, I've got to side with the creators.

It's one of those cases where Epic ruined it for everyone else by monetizing it. Had they just included the silly dances in the game without selling them separately, none of this likely happens.

DrNutt posted:

It's too early and I am dumb and without coffee.

:eng99:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did the backpack kid even invent flossing?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Cojawfee posted:

Did the backpack kid even invent flossing?

No, which is part of why it's so stupid. If any of these lawsuits are ruled in favor of the plaintiff, I am gonna copyright every goddamned movement you can make with one or more limbs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

No, which is part of why it's so stupid. If any of these lawsuits are ruled in favor of the plaintiff, I am gonna copyright every goddamned movement you can make with one or more limbs.

Yes, please cheer for content creators to continue to get hosed by large corporations who profit off their work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I know nothing of the Flossmaster 9000, but Carlton or at the very least people behind Fresh Prince of Bel-Air pretty solidly "own" that dance. It's one thing when it's just another option in the Saints Row character creator, but another when they are directly selling the dances and have them front and center in basically all of their advertising.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Mahoning posted:

Yes, please cheer for content creators to continue to get hosed by large corporations who profit off their work.

Floss kid, content creator

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Greed wins everytime.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Floss kid, content creator

One exception does not make your lovely opinion a good opinion all of a sudden.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i love content

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

heeheex2 posted:

i love content

i also love brands

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

heeheex2 posted:

i love content

Lol came in here to post this

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
New GAME PASS titles confirmed:

We Happy Few (January 17th)
The LEGO Movie Videogame (January 17th)
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (January 24th)
Saints Row: The Third (January 24th)

Was thinking of trying We Happy Few so it's good to see that, and it only came out in August last year.

Also added earlier this month:

ARK: Survival Evolved (January 3rd)
Farming Simulator 17 (January 3rd)
Life is Strange 2 Episode 1 (January 3rd)
Absolver (January 7th)
Aftercharge (January 10th)
Just Cause 3 (January 10th)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
how is just cause 3