Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

nine-gear crow posted:

MikeStoklasaMoansFor30MinutesAboutHowHeWantsTNGBackAgainVol2.mov

Featuring Dick the Brithday Boy from the Ellen Show.

I don’t think he brings up TNG once. Hell he is weirdly the one who is trying to be more positive while Rich obviously is done with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He mentions it along with DS9 when he's talking about wonky season ones.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Mike actually has the most typical Star Trek fan reaction of 'yea it started real bad but pretty much every Trek starts bad, we should give it a shot like the others before we start freaking out but man it has some work to do'.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just saw a tv ad for The Orville, and they make it seem exactly like TNG? There aren’t any jokes in the ad at all. I’ve never seen an ad for it or the show itself.

The Orville is hilariously so obviously a show Seth has wanted to do since the start, like how he super clearly wishes he could just be a vaudeville song and dance man. It's not amazing but it actually hits a Flash Gordon kinda sweet spot of pulpy 'good guys in space' that original Trek wanted. It's exactly as deep as those shows, too, which is to say not at all, but it's actually not that bad and they have a good ratio of jokes to actual space pulp nonsense.

They also straight up just copy some good Trek concepts but condensed and made lighter in tone, like when they have to go undercover in an enemy ship and the tone takes a HARD left turn from 'whoopie doo dee silly undercover hi-jinks' to 'uh is it ethical to blow a ship full of randos up during a spy mission to save a colony from their super weapon' and actually doesn't suck at handling the shift.

The Orville is one of those things that prove Seth actually is talented which makes poo poo like Family Guy so loving depressing.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

It either shows that she's an absolute coward or has never been as progressive as she thinks she is.

I mean, my main point is the latter: Rowling (and a lot of people her age, and younger TBH) is inhabiting a different cultural landscape, where the mindblowing advances in civil rights and cultural acceptance haven't osmosed in yet, so she's operating on really outdated ideas of what's "progressive." It's no surprise that she constantly fucks it up; she's had no real reason to keep up.

I keep seeing people accuse her of some kind of weird malfeasance or an unusual level of bigotry, when it's more easily explained as "average middle-aged British person."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

she repeats the lie that corbyn is an antisemite.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got this video in my recommended tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZNMyYXMj7Y

I checked out the channel and their content seems pretty interesting, even if their narrator sounds like he was raised by a text to speech machine. The bit about Jim Ward nearly destroying Republic Commando while he oversaw Lucasarts's slow motion collapse is something I hadn't heard about, and after finding out that he laid off all the staff who worked on the game as it went into final development is just sad.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 4, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

They also straight up just copy some good Trek concepts but condensed and made lighter in tone, like when they have to go undercover in an enemy ship and the tone takes a HARD left turn from 'whoopie doo dee silly undercover hi-jinks' to 'uh is it ethical to blow a ship full of randos up during a spy mission to save a colony from their super weapon' and actually doesn't suck at handling the shift.

They also did 'For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky.' I mean, they weren't even terribly subtle about it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

The Orville is one of those things that prove Seth actually is talented which makes poo poo like Family Guy so loving depressing.

I also love how it's only slightly less utopian than older Star Trek. Where Trek often had the Federation resolve things in the best possible fashion, Orville often has the bittersweet but more realistic outcome.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, my main point is the latter: Rowling (and a lot of people her age, and younger TBH) is inhabiting a different cultural landscape, where the mindblowing advances in civil rights and cultural acceptance haven't osmosed in yet, so she's operating on really outdated ideas of what's "progressive." It's no surprise that she constantly fucks it up; she's had no real reason to keep up.

I keep seeing people accuse her of some kind of weird malfeasance or an unusual level of bigotry, when it's more easily explained as "average middle-aged British person."

I don’t think people accuse her of unusual levels just she is clearly not who she wants to pretend to be. The fact she isn’t uncommon among her age group is weird to harp on as it really doesn’t matter.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New-ish Nick Knacks, taking a second look at By The Way, which was up to this point one of the most lost and obscure Nickelodeon shows in its library, but now ten minutes of footage have been dug up, and there's so much more to talk about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybLKmO5Kq5A

Well, this was a loving excellent analysis that came out of nowhere for me, but I'm glad I found it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

she repeats the lie that corbyn is an antisemite.

I mean, sometimes when people repeat a lie, they're not lying, they're just dumb, and I feel like Rowling has amply demonstrated that she's not especially politically savvy. And also that she thought "the giant snake was actually a woman and Voldemort drinks actual milk from her actual snake tiddies" was a cool and not endlessly weird and offputting lore addition.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

Lol don't excuse bad behavior with what ever age people are. I've heard "Oh please don't correct older (this has included someone who was 30 years old) people on literally not saying our milder equivalent of the n word. They don't mean any harm and are just from another time and don't understand.":kiddo: too many times.
And you could literally excuse every bigot with "they actually believe those lies so it totally isn't malicious" or "Yeah they're terfy/racist/homophobic but they're from another time!".
Oh, what's this? Shaun talking about transphobia in the UK. What a coinkydink!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_5OOmK1TQ

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

Oh, what's this? Shaun talking about transphobia in the UK. What a coinkydink!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_5OOmK1TQ

Somehow not as catchy as Anarchy in the UK

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL_2T70YkWk

Brian Zane did a review of Hulk Hogan's shortlived series on CMT Celebrity Championship Wrestling.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

Discovery rapidly improved as it went along but the first episode was kinda rough. My only issue is that I wish they'd just call Discovery a reboot instead of insisting that it's still inline with TOS.

I'm kind of on the opposite side. I never watched the rebooted Star Trek movies because they're reboots (and kind of forgettable ones). Reboots are one of the most pointless and creatively dead things imaginable.

If they suddenly said Discovery has nothing to do with real Star Trek, that would be the worst thing they could do. Would evaporate my desire to watch that new series completely, too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, sometimes when people repeat a lie, they're not lying, they're just dumb, and I feel like Rowling has amply demonstrated that she's not especially politically savvy. And also that she thought "the giant snake was actually a woman and Voldemort drinks actual milk from her actual snake tiddies" was a cool and not endlessly weird and offputting lore addition.

She probably took the reaction to the snake tits from Xcom 2 the wrong way. Get ready for some bowsette-esque retcon from her soon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL_2T70YkWk

Brian Zane did a review of Hulk Hogan's shortlived series on CMT Celebrity Championship Wrestling.

I've enjoyed a lot of Zane's videos, my favorite being on being the baffling kids' wrestling promotion the NWF.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I finally watched some Captain Disillusion videos and finally got on the right frame of mind to watch his Skepticon talk, which should have been advertised as "You might have heard him being a fucker on this case but here's a thing where he actually addresses that and apologizes for said fuckery" instead of *flails hands, vomits out a rainbow thru them* "𝓐𝓗, 𝓢𝓤𝓒𝓗 𝓘𝓢 𝓣𝓗𝓔 𝓒𝓐𝓢𝓔 𝓞𝓕 𝓞𝓝𝓛𝓘𝓝𝓔 𝓣𝓞𝓧𝓘𝓒𝓘𝓣𝓨"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Kunster posted:

I finally watched some Captain Disillusion videos and finally got on the right frame of mind to watch his Skepticon talk, which should have been advertised as "You might have heard him being a fucker on this case but here's a thing where he actually addresses that and apologizes for said fuckery" instead of *flails hands, vomits out a rainbow thru them* "𝓐𝓗, 𝓢𝓤𝓒𝓗 𝓘𝓢 𝓣𝓗𝓔 𝓒𝓐𝓢𝓔 𝓞𝓕 𝓞𝓝𝓛𝓘𝓝𝓔 𝓣𝓞𝓧𝓘𝓒𝓘𝓣𝓨"

i wish people wouldn't use this elliptical kind of internet-speak because i have no idea what this sentence is trying to say

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Libluini posted:

I'm kind of on the opposite side. I never watched the rebooted Star Trek movies because they're reboots (and kind of forgettable ones). Reboots are one of the most pointless and creatively dead things imaginable.

If they suddenly said Discovery has nothing to do with real Star Trek, that would be the worst thing they could do. Would evaporate my desire to watch that new series completely, too.
Yeah as a long time Trek nerd the JJTrek films have been very meh.

At least with Discovery it’s tied into the regular universe. I wish it hadn’t been another prequel though. Fingers crossed that the Picard Show will be decent since it will be the first non-prequel Trek thing since 2002.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Beyond is the best of the reboot movies and Discovery should have just been set post-Voyager because the good bits of the show have nothing to do with the near-TOS setting.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bonaventure posted:

i wish people wouldn't use this elliptical kind of internet-speak because i have no idea what this sentence is trying to say

Basically there's a certain kind of thinkpiece/article/video that tries to attribute any sort of negative feedback not on the actual substance of it but rather on a vague sense of general negativity and tension inherent to a medium, which means you can write "This person was a victim of the toxicity of being online" on just about any case where backlash from internet people was a thing, no matter how actually valid said feedback or the consequences of said thing were.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Discovery's production history has been a total shitshow and it's reflected in the show itself being a total mess that doesn't know what it wants to be and keeps hopping from trend to trend in hopes that something will stick.

Seth MacFarlane allegedly tried to pitch a Star Trek show to CBS years ago and it's pretty obvious that Orville is that pitch with the serial numbers filed off. It's easily the most earnest thing Seth has made and you can definitely tell that he has a huge appreciation for Trek and understands Trek's appeal in ways that the writers of Discovery don't. It's not prestige TV or anything but it's a very well done spiritual sequel to TNG.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Star Trek is in a weird place as Discovery basically did what the movies usually do and just make it Star Wars. Which we already have that.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

Lol don't excuse bad behavior with what ever age people are. I've heard "Oh please don't correct older (this has included someone who was 30 years old) people on literally not saying our milder equivalent of the n word. They don't mean any harm and are just from another time and don't understand.":kiddo: too many times.
And you could literally excuse every bigot with "they actually believe those lies so it totally isn't malicious" or "Yeah they're terfy/racist/homophobic but they're from another time!".

It's not really excusing so much as "IDK what you expected." Like my main thing is that every time this stuff comes up people act astonished that a fifty year old woman has outdated mores and how could she possibly think that this is appropriate diversity?!?!

I encourage people to point out bigotry. Just like don't act all shocked and confused that it happens in people who aren't Richard Spencer, and maybe don't assume that it comes from a person secretly knowing and being OK with whatever lovely stereotypes they're peddling, instead of just being a regular-rear end average bigot with immunity to editors. If you haven't been doing that, cool, keep it up, that was for the people acting like Rowling is some secret culture warrior intentionally spreading misinformation, as though it's impossible for someone to be dumb as poo poo because they didn't pay attention while the world changed around them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah as a long time Trek nerd the JJTrek films have been very meh.

At least with Discovery it’s tied into the regular universe. I wish it hadn’t been another prequel though. Fingers crossed that the Picard Show will be decent since it will be the first non-prequel Trek thing since 2002.

We're getting Picard back??? Please don't dash my hopes by saying they won't use Patrick Stewart for his role!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Libluini posted:

We're getting Picard back??? Please don't dash my hopes by saying they won't use Patrick Stewart for his role!

It’s a post-Nemesis Picard show starring Patrick Stewart, yes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

Discovery's production history has been a total shitshow and it's reflected in the show itself being a total mess that doesn't know what it wants to be and keeps hopping from trend to trend in hopes that something will stick.

Seth MacFarlane allegedly tried to pitch a Star Trek show to CBS years ago and it's pretty obvious that Orville is that pitch with the serial numbers filed off. It's easily the most earnest thing Seth has made and you can definitely tell that he has a huge appreciation for Trek and understands Trek's appeal in ways that the writers of Discovery don't. It's not prestige TV or anything but it's a very well done spiritual sequel to TNG.

I watched an episode of the Orville and it was a fairly harrowing drama about Worf’s marriage foundering because of shared trauma and poor communication. Aside from some jokey dialogue between characters, there wasn’t a single joke.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

It's not really excusing so much as "IDK what you expected." Like my main thing is that every time this stuff comes up people act astonished that a fifty year old woman has outdated mores and how could she possibly think that this is appropriate diversity?!?!

I encourage people to point out bigotry. Just like don't act all shocked and confused that it happens in people who aren't Richard Spencer, and maybe don't assume that it comes from a person secretly knowing and being OK with whatever lovely stereotypes they're peddling, instead of just being a regular-rear end average bigot with immunity to editors. If you haven't been doing that, cool, keep it up, that was for the people acting like Rowling is some secret culture warrior intentionally spreading misinformation, as though it's impossible for someone to be dumb as poo poo because they didn't pay attention while the world changed around them.

It's not surprising or unexpected that a fifty year old woman would hold such views. But Rowling ain't no normal fifty year old woman. She's an author, and I guess now, cultural commentator, with almost unparalleled money, power and influence. What she says has impact; lots of young people hero worship her, and lots of young people (and adults now) find escape, catharsis, meaning and comfort in her books. It must be a real kick in the teeth if you are a young trans person who identified with the world and stories she created - stories where the first book is specifically about a young person who notices strange things about them but realises that these strange things are in fact perfectly normal and in fact good, and that there's a community they can join who will understand them - but are now realising your hero's progressive attitudes hit a wall when it comes to valuing your rights. Rowling retweeting one TERF does more damage than a thousand Jordan Peterson fans in one clawing stroke, because people care about what she thinks. She may be just an idiot, but if so, she should educate herself before she spreads uneducated nonsense to her millions of followers. I think people should expect and demand better.

As for Graham Linehan, he has no where near as much influence, but he compensates by just being the most awful person of all. His actions aren't ignorant but openly and gleefully sociopathic. What a dickhead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People wouldn’t be upset at Rowling if she didn’t try and present herself as what she does.

She wants to be a progressive icon but absolutely does not want to do the work.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1080958285593878528

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Karloff posted:

It's not surprising or unexpected that a fifty year old woman would hold such views. But Rowling ain't no normal fifty year old woman. She's an author, and I guess now, cultural commentator, with almost unparalleled money, power and influence. What she says has impact; lots of young people hero worship her, and lots of young people (and adults now) find escape, catharsis, meaning and comfort in her books. It must be a real kick in the teeth if you are a young trans person who identified with the world and stories she created - stories where the first book is specifically about a young person who notices strange things about them but realises that these strange things are in fact perfectly normal and in fact good, and that there's a community they can join who will understand them - but are now realising your hero's progressive attitudes hit a wall when it comes to valuing your rights. Rowling retweeting one TERF does more damage than a thousand Jordan Peterson fans in one clawing stroke, because people care about what she thinks. She may be just an idiot, but if so, she should educate herself before she spreads uneducated nonsense to her millions of followers. I think people should expect and demand better.

As for Graham Linehan, he has no where near as much influence, but he compensates by just being the most awful person of all. His actions aren't ignorant but openly and gleefully sociopathic. What a dickhead.

I mean I agree with you, I've only ever been responding to the people who are shocked, shocked! that an old British woman doesn't share the views of the Millennial generation, and react as though it's evidence of some kind of bad faith on her part. Her views are harmful bullshit, they should be called out as the harmful bullshit they are, but it's silly to act as though these views come out of nowhere. That's all I'm ever saying here.

ETA: I guess another way of saying it is "Never assume the creators you like will be free from their culture's bigotry, because mostly they won't be."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/pottermore/status/1081242428105998336

I am glad this particular point is still something Rowling has not gone back on and instead doubles down on it when called out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's pretty much 100% in character for the lovely (literally in this case :haw:) insular, racist wizard world so I don't see the problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s a post-Nemesis Picard show starring Patrick Stewart, yes.

So there's going to be an episode where Picard tries to deal with the aftermath of Romulus exploding and shooting Spock to another dimension?

You just know that the Picard show is going to be "another war in Star Trek, but this time it's the Romulans!" because Patrick Stewart always wanted Picard to be more of an action hero.

In regards to the Rowling Chat, I just watched Fantastic Beasts 2 today. Holy crap that movie is a trainwreck and makes Last Jedi look like Empire Strikes Back.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

What in the 9 hells do people have against Harry Potter? It's a cultural touchstone that helped people solidify their personal moral philosophy. Of course they are going to find important!

People draw their morals from all sorts of works of art, whether fictional or not. Harry Potter is just one of many, and it's popularity as one is probably more related to the age that the person was exposed so it was probably one of the first works that spoke to them on a fundemental level.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Twincityhacker posted:

What in the 9 hells do people have against Harry Potter?

It's become the popular "heh, actually" target for a bit and it's always been incredibly dull to see it harped on so much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wouldn't pick a book i read when i was young to swear on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean good for you?