Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gotta love how Bill Clinton can assault a bunch of women and gain seats in the midterms and still be lauded by the Democratic Party to this day, but if a woman says the F-word her career in the party is and ought to be over and she'll never get a committee chairmanship now, apparently!

Gotta love being a brokebrain centrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Whoops!

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1081275804728868866

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

How has a mod of dnd not seen that before

I was in eighth grade in 2008, also I didn't read D&D consistently until early 2016.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

VH4Ever posted:

The right has been defining the narrative my whole life. It's about time we stop letting them do so.

I agree. I just don't think it's as simply as saying a curse word, one way or the other.

Nancy is doing a good job at controlling it and shutting it down. Tlaib still has some learning to do. I look forward to their working together.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I'm trying to catch up with the goalposts here.

So now your position is that if a Democrat ever says a swear in their life they won't get that plum committee seat because Nancy Pelosi will be just so scandalized? Are you suggesting it will happen in this reality, or are you posting from an alternate reality where Harry "punched a guy for trying to bribe him" Reid wasn't Senate Majority Leader and Joe "big loving deal" Biden wasn't one of the most powerful Democrats in the senate and then VP and Lyndon "look at my monster cock" Johnson didn't push some of the most massively gamechanging bills in US history through the senate and then win the biggest landslide reelection since FDR

That's a decent approximation of what I've been saying from the start, friend! Except I don't think Pelosi will be so much scandalized as she'll weigh the likelihood of candidates for sexy committee positions partly on how likely they are to say controversial things in public, because media narrative matters.

Lyndon BigCock Johnson didn't talk about his penis in front of cameras, and his recorded tapes about wanting a little space for his Johnson in his pants didn't come out until after his Presidency was over. We live in an age of constant outrage and media attention. The base is going to love Representative Tlaib's statement, but it doesn't do her personal agenda any favors.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

like i've been saying, pramila is lowkey the actual best progressive right now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jayapal is my rep, pretty happy about this

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lightning Knight posted:

I was in eighth grade in 2008, also I didn't read D&D consistently until early 2016.

You're too young to be a mod! Hell you probably don't even remember the D&D Primary campaign of 2012. Get this kid a booster seat.

EDIT: I'd love for someone to link to the D&D Primary Campaign stories with Newt as the DM. They were loving amazing.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 4, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

like i've been saying, pramila is lowkey the actual best progressive right now

It's loving tragic that she isn't eligible for the presidency because she was born in India. Unless both her parents were US citizens maybe? I dunno about that.

^ I posted a little bit in D&D during the 2012 campaign but didn't fully understand what was going on and was a terrible poster because I was still in high school.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rigel posted:

McConnell is hoping for a near-miracle right now. He's hoping the Dems abruptly cave soon which, hey you may as well always hope for that because it sometimes happens. Failing that, he's hoping the public suddenly and unexpectedly turns against the Dems and starts blaming them for the shutdown.

Failing that, then eventually the GOP will have to cave, and he knows there's probably enough time for the MAGA Chuds to forget about the issue a couple years from now.

Personally I see McConnell as giving Trump just enough rope to finish himself off if it comes to it. My money is on either Trump caving soon or a veto-proof clean cr going through both house and the GOP trying to pretend none of this ever happened.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Lightning Knight posted:

This is disgusting.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Mineaiki posted:

"Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what we are going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do."

-- Ulysses Grant

Quoting this.

Go get into a fight.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fishing with the fam posted:

This is disgusting.

People born after 9/11 will be eligible to vote in 2020.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I want to pitch a reality show where you place two Democrats in a room with two knives and ask them if they think working with or against the conservatives will save us, and tell them the one who wins gets to decide how their rep will vote

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Retro42 posted:

Personally I see McConnell as giving Trump just enough rope to finish himself off if it comes to it. My money is on either Trump caving soon or a veto-proof clean cr going through both house and the GOP trying to pretend none of this ever happened.
I'm more convinced that we're going to see an almost-but-not-quite clean CR out of the Senate with some toothless fig leaf for the Republicans so they can say they "got something" out of the negotiations, and then the House will pass it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Priapus Unbound posted:

That's a decent approximation of what I've been saying from the start, friend! Except I don't think Pelosi will be so much scandalized as she'll weigh the likelihood of candidates for sexy committee positions partly on how likely they are to say controversial things in public, because media narrative matters.

Lyndon BigCock Johnson didn't talk about his penis in front of cameras, and his recorded tapes about wanting a little space for his Johnson in his pants didn't come out until after his Presidency was over. We live in an age of constant outrage and media attention. The base is going to love Representative Tlaib's statement, but it doesn't do her personal agenda any favors.

Oh good you nailed yourself down to "ah but no one knew about other Democrats swearing"

Obama calls Romney a 'bullshitter' – the election just got a whole lot coarser

E: Gosh Obama, your star has well and truly set now, you torpedoed your career, if only you'd said "Romney has been known to on occasion be responsible for a non-truth event, and may I say Governor Romney, sir, my liege, the Washington Post has oft times rated your comments 4.7865 Pinnochios! My apologies, sirrah, forgive my disrespect O noble one."

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 4, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I don't feel this way! You guys are the only ones who think I feel upset by what she said. I am trying to express to you that your opinions or what you personally think is right isn't what's at stake here. What's fair vs what is reality. She's GOING to be held to higher standards, and they're going to attack her each time they see a weakness. It's good Pelosi circled the wagons to protect her. She's going to have to be more clever moving forward.

I'm just upset that you guys don't seem to realize THE NARRATIVE ISN'T SO EASY TO JUST DEFINE. It gets defined outside of your It's not as simple as just saying 'that's institutionalized sexism!' at a man's face and then it's fixed

It's actually extremely easy to define because the Republicans do it and people like you help them

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

I agree. I just don't think it's as simply as saying a curse word, one way or the other.

Nancy is doing a good job at controlling it and shutting it down. Tlaib still has some learning to do. I look forward to their working together.

But yet you're in here handwringing about what the Nazis will say about her forceful word choices? If seeing her finally busting through the elitist forcefield that usually ensconces people in power such that they can never actually see the real-world effects of regressive policies doesn't fill your heart with hope and promise then you're simply dead inside. I'm as big a cynic as you'll ever find and when I heard her comments my reaction was, "gently caress YES!" Never underestimate a good rallying cry, no matter how uncouth you think it may be to the CHUDs.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

gently caress you for thinking you're all clever with this poo poo while I still gotta look at Confederate monuments on my way to work

I grew up looking at them. And you know what, every time there's a movement to pull them down, the Nazis come out in droves, and the little hand-wringers follow to defend them. We should all aspire to be more like Grant (in some ways). Grant was famous for his superstitious aversion to turning back, and for refusing to be afraid of the enemy.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

It's loving tragic that she isn't eligible for the presidency because she was born in India. Unless both her parents were US citizens maybe? I dunno about that.

yeah she's ineligible

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm more convinced that we're going to see an almost-but-not-quite clean CR out of the Senate with some toothless fig leaf for the Republicans so they can say they "got something" out of the negotiations, and then the House will pass it.

I’ll agree it’s a likely outcome. BUT, McConnell ignoring the clean CR and putting something else forward first is putting all the attention on the Senate and I doubt he wants that.

Edit: At least not right now.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Hey look I can do a quote from a famous warrior too

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

EDIT:

Mineaiki posted:

I grew up looking at them. And you know what, every time there's a movement to pull them down, the Nazis come out in droves, and the little hand-wringers follow to defend them. We should all aspire to be more like Grant (in some ways). Grant was famous for his superstitious aversion to turning back, and for refusing to be afraid of the enemy.

I love Grant so I fully and strongly resent the implication that saying 'maybe that wasn't a smart idea politically for her to curse right away' is the same thing as the folks who want to 'preserve history' from a goddamn war of slavery

Just because you can pull up a twee quote doesn't mean you fully understand what you're responding to

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 4, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

yeah she's ineligible

That’s some bullshit tbh.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Priapus Unbound posted:

u dumbass being popular with your base is literally exactly how you push forward your agenda.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

You missed libertarian D&D, when it got destroyed by a single Randbrick post about how Ron Paul would kill 100s of thousands of people.

It's better now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Max Peck posted:

A union representing federal employees calling for a strike is defined by law as an unfair labor practice

The law is strangely silent on the current situation

Eventually someone will figure out this is a violation of the 13th Amendment.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Retro42 posted:

McConnell's wife is transportation secretary for Trump, he's not playing some loving nth dimensional chess game to get Trump to cave. He's a Trump toadie, always has been, always will be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

So what was the point of having PayGo again?

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

I want to pitch a reality show where you place two Democrats in a room with two knives and ask them if they think working with or against the conservatives will save us, and tell them the one who wins gets to decide how their rep will vote

I, too, would like to see Meet The Press.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bicyclops posted:

You missed libertarian D&D, when it got destroyed by a single Randbrick post about how Ron Paul would kill 100s of thousands of people.

It's better now.

On the other hand, you missed Toblerone Triangular, the best poo poo poster these forums have ever produced

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

What I know of the enemy is that they do this poo poo even when we're on our best behavior. Tlaib will be smeared basically the same amount no matter what. So let her call Trump a motherfucker

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You're too young to be a mod! Hell you probably don't even remember the D&D Primary campaign of 2012. Get this kid a booster seat.

EDIT: I'd love for someone to link to the D&D Primary Campaign stories with Newt as the DM. They were loving amazing.

Weren't those made by someone named Shadowcatboy or something?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Retro42 posted:

I'm not entirely sure he even needs to be having THIS fight is the thing, just A fight. If his only concern is maintaining his base which it sure seems like it is for the first 2 years of his presidency and they seem to believe anything he says and will just blindly go along with however he defines reality why not just go continue to go with the wall is already being built narrative he's tried a few times and seems to have largely worked.

What strikes me as what's going on right now is that he needs to be seen as being some sort of fight for something and trying to make a deal. He doesn't actually have any real policy or governing goals nor does he really do anything, his presidency and image subsists around manufacturing feuds and fights to pass the time and claim he's doing stuff and being successful at it. If he can find any other issue he'll just as soon let this go and feud over that instead and then he'll probably find something else to force a shutdown over the government for next time congress needs to pass a funding bill because he'll need to be seen as being in a fight for something to sell a narrative to his base.

I'd have to check but I think quite literally every time the government has had to pass a funding bill he's found some way to force a shutdown and fight over it at the last second so I think it's something America might as well get used to.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

People born after 9/11 will be eligible to vote in 2020.

Oh hey, my godson will be able! I hope he sends me a picture with the sticker.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Lightning Knight posted:

^ I posted a little bit in D&D during the 2012 campaign but didn't fully understand what was going on and was a terrible poster because I was still in high school.

Just checked Wikipedia, she naturalized so nope, not a natural born citizen. Though she's awesome and great and I'm so glad she's my rep.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is the quote i use when people ask why i read/watch/listen to/follow so much right wing horseshit.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

mcmagic posted:

So what was the point of having PayGo again?

Fiscal responsibility!!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

This is a good point. Since the enemy will mercilessly go after anyone who isn't a straight white guy, we should only nominate straight white guys and get ahead of their rhetoric.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Weren't those made by someone named Shadowcatboy or something?

I've looked and couldn't find anything. Possibly.

Bicyclops posted:

It's better now.

The Glumslinger posted:

On the other hand, you missed Toblerone Triangular, the best poo poo poster these forums have ever produced

the LF days of D&D were something else, and TT will always be the best Troll, seconded by MiGF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

EDIT:

I love Grant so I fully and strongly resent the implication that saying 'maybe that wasn't a smart idea politically for her to curse right away' is the same thing as the folks who want to 'preserve history' from a goddamn war of slavery

Just because you can pull up a twee quote doesn't mean you fully understand what you're responding to

Right see but I think you're also missing the point of that Sun Tzu quote because you definitely are not knowing the enemy here. You're coming off more as a McClellan type. Lost in the details, obsessed with the overwhelming strength of the enemy. Grant tended to see weakness in his enemies, not strength.

I'm sorry I compared you to Nazi-defenders. I agree that wasn't fair.