Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Serfer posted:

Fiscal responsibility!!

The "The Aristocrats"of American politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is the quote i use when people ask why i read/watch/listen to/follow so much right wing horseshit.

I like quotes because for every perspective there's a famous successful person who enforces it so you can really easily prove how dumb the system of 'successful person means SUCCESSFUL WORDS ALL THE TIME' really is

"well if they're famous and had a life success THEY MUST BE RIGHT"

it's literally why people follow trump lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

mcmagic posted:

So what was the point of having PayGo again?

it's dumb virtual signaling and does nothing else since all you need is a majority vote to waiver it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You're too young to be a mod! Hell you probably don't even remember the D&D Primary campaign of 2012. Get this kid a booster seat.

EDIT: I'd love for someone to link to the D&D Primary Campaign stories with Newt as the DM. They were loving amazing.

I gotchu

http://onthecampaigntrail.org/

E:
I'm image-linking the first one so people realize just what a pro-click this is

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lightning Knight posted:

^ I posted a little bit in D&D during the 2012 campaign but didn't fully understand what was going on and was a terrible poster because I was still in high school.

I'm sure you'll grow out of it eventually

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

uh what about famed forums poster caro??? way more interesting than TT

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rigel posted:

McConnell is hoping for a near-miracle right now. He's hoping the Dems abruptly cave soon which, hey you may as well always hope for that because it sometimes happens. Failing that, he's hoping the public suddenly and unexpectedly turns against the Dems and starts blaming them for the shutdown.

Failing that, then eventually the GOP will have to cave, and he knows there's probably enough time for the MAGA Chuds to forget about the issue a couple years from now.

I agree, but refusing the vote is genuinely providing a lot of cover for Senate Republicans, who are more effectively evading press and public scrutiny on the shutdown. I'm just saying there is a strategy here, and the R senators saying they are in favor of a clean CR are doing so because they have permission.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Performative nonsense for socially liberally fiscally conservative morons

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

theflyingorc posted:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm sure you'll grow out of it eventually

I’m surprised it took this long for someone to make this response tbh.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

We finally get a representative in office who sounds like she gets it and is as angry and fired up as we are, and people start having a panicked diarrhea blowout because she doesn’t sound like an HR rep laying off your entire department.

You ain’t built for this if you didn’t cheer when you heard.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Also I heard language like that when I was her son's age and I frankly don't believe anyone who says they didn't. Maybe your parents didn't curse much (mine did), but other people do.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Mineaiki posted:

I'm sorry I compared you to Nazi-defenders. I agree that wasn't fair.

Thank you. Apologies for coming off strong.

I think the thing people are missing is that truly, I think this is a bump in the road. But I can also see why it exploded immediately. I don't AGREE with it*, but I see it, and I'm done trying to play the game the 'right' way where we all have kumbaya talks and explain how wrong sexism is. I spent my 20s fighting that fight.

Really, all I'm saying is that think we should be more loving snake-like and cruel instead bc I think that will have a greater long-term effect. Stop drawing attention to our poo poo. We gotta Mitch McConnel our agenda. Motherfucker has been left alone. We need to work more under the radar bc being ON the radar just leads to obstruction.

EDIT: When I say don't agree, I mean I don't agree with why it exploded, just that I wasn't surprised. And I think we need to start getting ahead of the narrative to define it ourselves, or sneaking under the radar, rather than acting impulsively then playing damage control.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 4, 2019

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Aren't the people clutching pearls over someone saying motherfucker the same people who wear gently caress your feelings shirts?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

selec posted:

We finally get a representative in office who sounds like she gets it and is as angry and fired up as we are, and people start having a panicked diarrhea blowout because she doesn’t sound like an HR rep laying off your entire department.

You ain’t built for this if you didn’t cheer when you heard.

My first reaction was "uh are you sure we're gonna impeach the motherfucker?" actually

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Must be the weekend, the circular firing squads are loading rifles

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Lemming posted:

u dumbass being popular with your base is literally exactly how you push forward your agenda.

Being popular with the base has atomized the Republican party. Seriously. Tea Party conservatives playing to their bases have crippled the ability of Republican leaders to get things done. With total control of the government these last two years, legislative change was still incredibly difficult because conservatives couldn't stop stabbing themselves in the back.

I don't want the same thing to happen to Democrats. I want representatives like Tlaib to be mentored by effective leaders like Pelosi who managed to whip the passage of the now-popular ACA despite several Democrats losing their seats over it: politicians who know when to push effectively and when to hold em'.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This isn’t the Wild West days of 2003, SA mods nowadays should be required to be divorced at least once and have a physical dependency on at least one type of narcotic.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SocketWrench posted:

Must be the weekend, the circular firing squads are loading rifles

It's literally two posters

Wait maybe three

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 4, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Congratulations Secretary of Defense Jim Webb.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1081305634115674112

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Faustian Bargain posted:

Aren't the people clutching pearls over someone saying motherfucker the same people who wear gently caress your feelings shirts?

what does your heart tell you

(I love this particular meme)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This isn’t the Wild West days of 2003, SA mods nowadays should be required to be divorced at least once and have a physical dependency on at least one type of narcotic.

some prison time would be a plus

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Russia is laughing that they bought Trump and he is doing Putin's bidding of shutting the US Government down and on the one hand Mitch McConnell supports this obstruction, and should be indicted on conspiracy or treason charges with Trump, to make a buck and on the other hand some Democrats are scared to impeach him because Trump supporters may never vote for them and they get blamed for impeaching. So Putin through Trump shut the US Down for 4 years. All thanks to conservatives, religious nuts, gun nuts, racists and nazis, old white men, etc.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Faustian Bargain posted:

gently caress your feelings, not gently caress my feelings.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Priapus Unbound posted:

Being popular with the base has atomized the Republican party. Seriously. Tea Party conservatives playing to their bases have crippled the ability of Republican leaders to get things done. With total control of the government these last two years, legislative change was still incredibly difficult because conservatives couldn't stop stabbing themselves in the back.

I don't want the same thing to happen to Democrats. I want representatives like Tlaib to be mentored by effective leaders like Pelosi who managed to whip the passage of the now-popular ACA despite several Democrats losing their seats over it: politicians who know when to push effectively and when to hold em'.

I'm not really worried because what we have here is a difference of opinion on political strategy and tactics, not so much on political policy. Once its time to vote on something meaningful that could actually become law (after 2020), there won't be many defections. The GOP had sharp internal disagreements with policy, and the HFC crazies were big, loud, and proud enough to hamstring their own leaders from accomplishing very much other than the tax grab.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Faustian Bargain posted:

Well unless they are itt, then they are clutching pearls over a MUSLIM(!) in the HOUSE (!)

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Twitter locked me cause I told Kurt Eichenwald to gently caress off about about cursing lol

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

fishing with the fam posted:

This is disgusting.

Mods, ban this filthy youth mod. :argh:

mcmagic posted:

The speculation I read earlier in the thread (and initially agreed with) was that it would be a convenient excuse to kill off bills that were too overly leftist by stating that we can’t possibly raise taxes enough to cover the cost of m4a, college subsidies, etc. Now that enough reps have come out effectively saying “lol gently caress no” it looks like they aren’t pushing it as hard as the whole centrism thing seems to be killing peoples enthusiasm for some odd reason...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Priapus Unbound posted:

the gop has been a white nationalist party since the 60s.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bicyclops posted:

You missed libertarian D&D, when it got destroyed by a single Randbrick post about how Ron Paul would kill 100s of thousands of people.

It's better now.

Is this archived offsite somewhere?

You know the dude is saying dishonored because he knows honor killings are a thing and he's trying to imply she should be murdered by her family and the CHUD base who are SUPER into what conservative Muslims do are hearing that loud and clear.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dave Grool posted:

Twitter locked me cause I told Kurt Eichenwald to gently caress off about about cursing lol

Were you trying to convince to him that curse words exist?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
You can tell a lot about a politician by the people they hire. With that said:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1081312553203089409

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Priapus Unbound posted:

So just going to forget that you staked out "it only didn't hurt other Democrats because no one knew about the swears" when I showed you Obama calling Romney a bullshitter in 2012 without any of your dread pronouncements coming to pass?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Priapus Unbound posted:

The Tea Party is a Frankenstein monster of their own creation. They're the people who the Republicans told to be racist/sexist/whatever in order to get them elected. The problem is that the Republican base doesn't want what the Republican party wants, which is tax cuts for the rich, exploitation of the poor, loving the planet, etc. They got side tracked by the red herrings they've thrown up.

I don't want the Democrats to succeed in fulfilling corporatist goals. I want them to succeed in populist goals, taxing the rich, protecting the environment, equality, voting rights, etc. We should absolutely do what the Tea Party did and eat them from the inside because we actually want good things. It's easier to succeed here because the goals of corporatist Democrats are bad and are just Republican light, and the goals of the populists are things that are actually good, viable, sound solutions to problems.

The parties are not just mirrors of one another. Playing to the base for Republicans means crazy, insane, pointless, racist bullshit. Playing to the base for Democrats is literally only good things.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VitalSigns posted:

I gotchu

http://onthecampaigntrail.org/

E:
I'm image-linking the first one so people realize just what a pro-click this is

I am only ever going to say this once to you, and it is entirely limited to this one post: Thank you for posting.

Seriously though, I had no idea it was hosted on a website.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Anyone buying into this poo poo about Motherfucker being a gaffe is nuts. Firing up the base is how 2018 got won and that's the current paradigm for politics.

The inevitable result of decades of voter apathy is that you can get poo poo done by making people enthusiastic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dave Grool posted:

What! I tell the President he's a dumb motherfucker and he has a tiny dick on twitter without repercussions, how do you catch a ban for sassing a reporter?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1080958285593878528

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh wait, never mind I see it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah the problem with the Tea Party is that the bills they want passed won't do what the Tea Party pretends/possibly really thinks they will do, and other Republicans know it. The reason Republicans failed to repeal Obamacare wasn't because someone said a mean word and split the party, it was because too many Red state senators knew they were doomed if they cut Medicaid so nothing they came up with could get 51 votes.

Their Obamacare debacle came about because they bullshitted for eight years that repealing it would fix everything and give every American great healthcare with low costs, but their actual agenda is the opposite of that, so they were caught up in their own lies. Not because someone said 'gently caress' one time and ruined ~~the discourse~~

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

And you think the people who think that is a good idea are strategic geniuses!!