Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Great, now I need to find an explainer on the process of declaring national emergencies so I can understand how the Anger Mango is going to break the law with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pay some dumb kid $10 to throw a rock that lands within 100ft of a border agent.

THIS MEANS WAAAAR

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah this is probably the only real way the shutdown is going to end.

Waiting for Trump or someone else to ask why we can't just fund the TSA and nothing else to continue his tantrum.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Well apparently the only part of the National Parks Service that is still running are the people who maintain the clock tower inside the Trump hotel in DC. So there's that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fister Roboto posted:

No, but it's a good start.

Unless you can get the Senate to convict, it's loving paperwork.

We're literally turning the country off in hopes that it'll work when we turn it back on.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

We're literally turning the country off in hopes that it'll work when we turn it back on.

I mean, the first step in troubleshooting is turning it off and on again.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

I read an article a while back saying "if you were trying to gently caress the country, it would be hard to do a better job than what Trump is doing."

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

I read an article a while back saying "if you were trying to gently caress the country, it would be hard to do a better job than what Trump is doing."

It's willful goddamn sabotage

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Does the Secret Service get paid during the shutdown? There's a way this could end that would have a nice symmetry with the President's Caligula speed run.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/proud-boys-gavin-mcinnes-neighbors_us_5c2f843ae4b0e755f65c38bc?6mm

Proud Boys founder is getting upset that his neighbors put signs up in their yards telling him to gently caress off

quote:

Now McInnes’ demons are catching up with him in his own community. On Friday, HuffPost obtained a letter penned by McInnes and dropped off at the homes of several residents who had the signs displayed on their properties. In a three-page, computer-typed screed dated Dec. 28, McInnes tells numerous and blatant lies about the Proud Boys, his status as their leader and his intolerant views.

Also here's a picture of him without his beard

Has no chin while also having 5 chins :psyduck:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

Pay some dumb kid $10 to throw a rock that lands within 100ft of a border agent.

THIS MEANS WAAAAR

Ah the Israeli maneuver

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bird food bathtub posted:

Great, now I need to find an explainer on the process of declaring national emergencies so I can understand how the Anger Mango is going to break the law with this one.

Here, let this insufferable dipshit explain it. It even captures the tone FoxNews will use to present it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bolow posted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/proud-boys-gavin-mcinnes-neighbors_us_5c2f843ae4b0e755f65c38bc?6mm

Proud Boys founder is getting upset that his neighbors put signs up in their yards telling him to gently caress off

Bob's Burgers did a live action ep?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

oh good, the KT Nelson comments section already took care of the obvious

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Godholio posted:

Impeachment doesn't solve the problem.

So? It's a great place to start seems like to me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

It’s almost as if he’s a foreign agent :thunk:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Lou Takki posted:

So? It's a great place to start seems like to me.

What do you think impeachment does?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The two deputies who left two mentally ill women caged in their van to die in Hurricane Florence's floodwaters have been charged with involuntary manslaughter. (The driver also got reckless homicide charges)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Godholio posted:

Occupies Congress for about a year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

joat mon posted:

The two deputies who left two mentally ill women caged in their van to die in Hurricane Florence's floodwaters have been charged with involuntary manslaughter. (The driver also got reckless homicide charges)

Holy poo poo I thought they were going to get away with it based on the sympathetic articles that came out after it happened

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Well it's never been used to successfully remove a president so what exactly do you think it does?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well it's never been used to successfully remove a president so what exactly do you think it does?

Unless you can put the Senate in a position where it has to convict, nothing except waste time. Maybe get Trump to tweet angrily.

Impeachment is a weak goal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s almost as if he’s a foreign agent :thunk:

That was the general thrust of the article yeah

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Unless you can put the Senate in a position where it has to convict, nothing except waste time. Maybe get Trump to tweet angrily.

Impeachment is a weak goal.

Well since that's unlikely what do you think the value of the political theater of it all would be? Certainly Bill's impeachment affected Hilldawg's run down the line. It might have a ton of political value absent a conviction even.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Impeachment is a lightning rod to both sides.

If it's used, it better be worth it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Getting his tax returns and proving to the world he's not a billionaire will be more effective and likely to cause him to stroke out on live TV.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Yeah. It's gotta accompany something truly damning, like Mueller producing hard evidence of him working with the Russians or something else. At that point it becomes a true wedge for Senate Republicans, which could be weaponized against them in an election.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

LongDarkNight posted:

Getting his tax returns and proving to the world he's not a billionaire will be more effective and likely to cause him to stroke out on live TV.

This. Every time he pulls that wobbly face because he's been humiliated he pretty much sits in the White House and doesn't do anything for a week. Breaking his head like that continuously is your best chance to at least get him to shut the gently caress up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just a reminder that the stooge in the DoJ right now took one look at the investigation and went “uh no way I’m touching this.”

It was pretty clever of him to avoid having to recuse himself by refusing to be briefed on it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Fallom posted:

Holy poo poo I thought they were going to get away with it based on the sympathetic articles that came out after it happened

There was more to the story:
Supervisors provided a safe route before Flood and Bishop left the jail. A fellow transport officer warned them that the route through Nichols would not be passable, affidavits said.

But Bishop and Flood took the flooded road anyway, authorities said. Testimony from the Senate hearing indicated the pair passed at least two points where they could have turned around: a barricade and an S.C. National Guard checkpoint.

The Horry County Sheriff’s Office has said that National Guardsmen, acting on orders to let law enforcement around barriers, waved the van through a checkpoint on U.S. Highway 76 near Nichols.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Godholio posted:

The longer this shutdown lasts, the more likely it is that the Senate Rs will realize that Trump is a noose wrapped around all of their necks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

joat mon posted:

There was more to the story:
Supervisors provided a safe route before Flood and Bishop left the jail. A fellow transport officer warned them that the route through Nichols would not be passable, affidavits said.

But Bishop and Flood took the flooded road anyway, authorities said. Testimony from the Senate hearing indicated the pair passed at least two points where they could have turned around: a barricade and an S.C. National Guard checkpoint.

The Horry County Sheriff’s Office has said that National Guardsmen, acting on orders to let law enforcement around barriers, waved the van through a checkpoint on U.S. Highway 76 near Nichols.

I'm from the general area, the town they insisted on driving through was also completely hellflooded just two years earlier and known to be turbofucked. They might have gotten away with it if the women in the back were under arrest but public sympathy has been running full ACAB, hang 'em high on this one from the beginning regardless of what the media was pushing. It is the rare south carolinian who doesn't know at least half a dozen people who've been transported on psych holds and literally everyone who looks at this case sees their own mother.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well since that's unlikely what do you think the value of the political theater of it all would be? Certainly Bill's impeachment affected Hilldawg's run down the line. It might have a ton of political value absent a conviction even.

Maybe. But I don't think he'll care unless he actually personally takes a consequence. Impeachment on its own isn't going to pwn Trump. Unless you can remove him from office against his will he'll forget about it in a week and be calling it fake news in 10 days. And half the country will believe him, because they think impeachment means removing the president from office, and if he's still in office then he obviously wasn't impeached :smug:

Vasudus posted:

This is what I'm trying to say. Impeachment isn't the end game, and it shouldn't be treated like it. That's why the idiot from CA needs to stop filing articles of impeachment every time Starbucks spells his name wrong. You've got ONE loving shot at making it hurt.

Fister Roboto posted:

The longer this shutdown lasts, the more likely it is that the Senate Rs will realize that Trump is a noose wrapped around all of their necks.

Once their supporters start realizing they can't pay their bills, maybe. It depends who they blame.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh we also only have 3 facilities in the entire state licensed by Dept. of Mental Health, in Greenville, Columbia and Myrtle Beach so there are PLENTY of places where an emergency hold means a 3+ hour handcuffed backseat trip, if not several weeks on suicide watch at the local hospital which doesn't provide psych treatment, followed by 3+ hours cuffed once a bed at the legit place opens up.

:d2a:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh we also only have 3 facilities in the entire state licensed by Dept. of Mental Health, in Greenville, Columbia and Myrtle Beach so there are PLENTY of places where an emergency hold means a 3+ hour handcuffed backseat trip, if not several weeks on suicide watch at the local hospital which doesn't provide psych treatment, followed by 3+ hours cuffed once a bed at the legit place opens up.

:d2a:

What the gently caress is wrong with SC? Wait, I shouldn't even ask.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoktorLoken posted:

Fort Sumter.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1081355712830324737?s=20

:bisonyes:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Sherman Kongolese Jemmy didn't finish the job.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

This is the picture the administration DECIDED TO SHOW EVERYONE from this meeting.

https://twitter.com/Scavino45/status/1081344134743511040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

YOURE A GARBAGE PHOTOGAPHER SHEALAH