Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's probably his point in asking why they're all picking harry potter. you grow up and find other poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Harry Potter the Bible who cares it’s pointless ceremony.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I would swear on a printed copy of the final colorized volume of Steel Ball Run

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 5, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

smh at going for the book itself and not making the obvious marauder's map joke

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's probably his point in asking why they're all picking harry potter. you grow up and find other poo poo.

Unless you take a serious life evaluation, by the time you grow-up and find other poo poo you probably already have a personal moral philosophy, or at least a foundation of one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Augus posted:

I would swear on a printed copy of the final colorized volume of Steel Ball Run

It's even got Jesus in it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Everyone makes fun of George Lucas' retcons, but at least when he did those he actually made reprints of his movies instead of later just verbally going "actually Han didn't shoot first". Are you too cowardly to make reprints with a page detailing Voldemort drinking titty milk from the Asian snake lady Rowling?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Why even ask that kind of hypothetical question in the first place if you're going to be mad at whatever dumb answer people give back? Thinking emoji...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Why even ask that kind of hypothetical question in the first place if you're going to be mad at whatever dumb answer people give back? Thinking emoji...

Because people who are sick of Harry Potter are very sick of Harry Potter?

Y'know, like how people are with Star Wars even on the occasion that that doesn't just mean The Last Jedi?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Oh, what's this? Shaun talking about transphobia in the UK. What a coinkydink!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_5OOmK1TQ

I'd love to see someone do a deep dive into Mumsnet and it's relationship with British anti-trans activism at some point. The dynamics of their feminism board - where almost all the trans discussion on the site is isolated - are fascinating and frightening. It's a sub-forum has been active for 8 years, but 50% of the content seems to be anti-transgender posting from the past 12 months.

If you want to feel really grubby and skeeved out look at how they interact with the Tiffany Tumbles types amongst them:
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3385263-debbie-hayton-letter-times-05-10-18?pg=1
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3445694-Letter-in-the-Times-Plea-To-The-Trans-Lobby-from-group-of-transsexuals?pg=16

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 5, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

John Murdoch posted:

because when you see ton of twitter folks saying "trump is actual voldimort and we are the order of the phenox" type stuff a ton on twitter you get sick of it. same with comparing him to vader. like there are more books and beter comparisons then harry potter or star wars.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Comparisons to fictional characters are in themselves dumb. People are comparing poo poo to things they know so who cares. Is this some weird elitist thing?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because when you see ton of twitter folks saying "trump is actual voldimort and we are the order of the phenox" type stuff a ton on twitter you get sick of it. same with comparing him to vader. like there are more books and beter comparisons then harry potter or star wars.

People see themselves in myths and stories. Especially popular ones, since it gives you an instant community. It's kind of a human trait to do so. Why Harry Potter or Star Wars? Because it feels nice to be a part of something that big.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Comparisons to fictional characters are in themselves dumb. People are comparing poo poo to things they know so who cares. Is this some weird elitist thing?

Speaking personally, I find it distasteful because it trivializes real danger and harm through comparison to entertainment, even if the entertainment in question taught the viewer something when they were kids.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VanSandman posted:

People see themselves in myths and stories. Especially popular ones, since it gives you an instant community. It's kind of a human trait to do so. Why Harry Potter or Star Wars? Because it feels nice to be a part of something that big.

sure i get that. but read more then that, read about loving history and make comparisons to that. not just wizard Hitler and magical burnt amputee.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

Everyone makes fun of George Lucas' retcons, but at least when he did those he actually made reprints of his movies instead of later just verbally going "actually Han didn't shoot first".

Find a DVD or Blu-Ray copy of the original trilogy that isn't the CGI-altered remake and not the absurdly-out-of-print DVD set.

edit: Sorry, misread what you said. :cripes:

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.
This is part of why it's so hard to talk about books online outside of the book blogosphere - there's no real mainstream way to talk about books because readerships tend to fall into niches once they mature past The Babysitters Club. There is no Infinity War or Frozen or whatever for novels - you can't expect a good chunk of your audience to have reliably gone out and read the latest new hotness, because mainstream books that a decent chunk of your audience has read, or is at least familiar with, are pretty rare, and when you do have books like that, more often than not they're garbage like Ready Player One or The DaVinci Code. Defaulting to Harry Potter in mainstream discussions of novels makes sense, because you can reliably assume the majority of your audience will be familiar with Harry Potter. Even an incredibly popular book like The Fault in Our Stars (which John told me something like 4% of the American population has read since it's on so many high school reading lists, which is A LOT for a novel, especially a relatively recent one [recent in this case being six years yikes]) needed a plot summary, because most people haven't read it.

Also The Fault in Our Stars is a really good book, shut your holes. Read Turtles All The Way Down, I think it's really underrated.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Speaking personally, I find it distasteful because it trivializes real danger and harm through comparison to entertainment, even if the entertainment in question taught the viewer something when they were kids.

I find it easier to compare to popular fictional charecters. Distastful, yes, but since education really hits the highlights, and only maybe gets to WWII if you are luckily, you know who I'm about when I saw Moff Tarkin and Voldemort but not when I bring up General Iwane Matsui or Pol Pot.

And due to the extreme niches that novels have, like Pirate Jenny said, it's easiest to go for the comparision that you know that everyone else would know - the meat of the meaning would be lost if I said something like Muller is like Avhren since most people wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the whole point of a comparison is to make understanding something easier, so comparing them to someone your audience doesn’t know is pointless and a bit masterbatory.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You all need to read some Nabokov :agesilaus: :agesilaus: :agesilaus:

Oh and apparently Rowling's trending on my Twitter because wizards shat wherever they were like Restoration era presents. RETCONNNNNNN

Don't read all of that, read smart books like me. You can turn out just like me if you do that

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 5, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kim Justice posted:

Oh and apparently Rowling's trending on my Twitter because wizards shat wherever they were like Restoration era presents. RETCONNNNNNN
Which is a repost of something that did the rounds years ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

I find it easier to compare to popular fictional charecters. Distastful, yes, but since education really hits the highlights, and only maybe gets to WWII if you are luckily, you know who I'm about when I saw Moff Tarkin and Voldemort but not when I bring up General Iwane Matsui or Pol Pot.

And due to the extreme niches that novels have, like Pirate Jenny said, it's easiest to go for the comparision that you know that everyone else would know - the meat of the meaning would be lost if I said something like Muller is like Avhren since most people wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

yeah true. i have done it too. like how i compared to comey to a a dumber version of captain america(i like cap but not making it as a positive comparison) especially after read his biographical. like it just gets annyong when you see late 20s to early 40s people only refrencing stuff through the lens of harry potter or marvel or star wars. this coming from a fan of the latter two.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 5, 2019

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I am going out a limb, but I think maybe the only thing that really changed in culture is instead of allusions to Biblical figures or classical Greek and Roman mythology we have Harry Potter and Star Wars.

I don't think we're poorer for it. It's just new and different.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
No poo poo Sherlock.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/pottermore/status/1081242428105998336

I am glad this particular point is still something Rowling has not gone back on and instead doubles down on it when called out.

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1081297945792700416

Twincityhacker posted:

One could say that Donald Trump is comparable to Dong Zhuo, but you run the risk of A.) the audience not knowing who Dong Zhuo is, or B.) the audience only knowing him as "the fat, ugly, evil guy from Dynasty Warriors."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah true. i have done it too. like how i compared to comey to a a dumber version of captain america(i like cap but not making it as a positive comparison) especially after read his biographical. like it just gets annyong when you see late 20s to early 40s people only refrencing stuff through the lens of harry potter or marvel or star wars. this coming from a fan of the latter two.

The idea of using a well-known fictional character as shorthand to easily get across somebody's behavior or disposition isn't wholly a bad idea; I think it just depends on the context sometimes. In the case of political protest, comparing a prominent figure to someone from Star Wars or Harry Potter makes it seem like you have no knowledge of anything outside of pop culture, or could be construed as talking down to people.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

VanSandman posted:

Replace Harry Potter stuff with anime like Sword Art Online, where Kirito represents antifa, Fairy King Oberon imprisoning Asuna and trying to make her his wife is Trump trying to use DACA as leverage for wall funding, and Death Gun's attacks in Gun Gale Online are police brutality.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

I am going out a limb, but I think maybe the only thing that really changed in culture is instead of allusions to Biblical figures or classical Greek and Roman mythology we have Harry Potter and Star Wars.

I don't think we're poorer for it. It's just new and different.

There's still classic 20th literature. Want to see a political candidate's polls drop? Just compare them to Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye, and watch those numbers nosedive.

Disclaimer: I never read Catcher in the Rye, so I'm just assuming referring to it would make people irate with a candidate.

Takoluka posted:

Replace Harry Potter stuff with anime like Sword Art Online, where Kirito represents antifa, Fairy King Oberon imprisoning Asuna and trying to make her his wife is Trump trying to use DACA as leverage for wall funding, and Death Gun's attacks in Gun Gale Online are police brutality.

Alternatively, just say a candidate is like Sword Art Online, and they're sure to lose.

Disclaimer: I have not watched SAO, and I'm not going to either.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 5, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s depressingly true that nobody reads new fiction any more. One of my friends from college worked for many years to become an editor, and almost from the moment she got a job she’s been afraid that she was going to lose it because the numbers for literary fiction are so low that what would have been a modest success 20 years ago is now considered remarkable and the only things that move are fad garbage like Ernest Cline and 50 Shades.

I mean, I sure as hell don’t read new fiction. I’m always going for political philosophy and history to try and figure out why we’re in hell. But the thread has convinced me to try some John Green (who I had seen before but thought was Hank Green the internet guy; god please forgive me).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I mean, I sure as hell don’t read new fiction. I’m always going for political philosophy and history to try and figure out why we’re in hell. But the thread has convinced me to try some John Green (who I had seen before but thought was Hank Green the internet guy; god please forgive me).

They're brothers so you were pretty close.

I liked A Fault in Our Stars but I did get a sense while reading it that I was well out of the target audience. Probably because I'm an old. Good book though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Takoluka posted:

What does a character dying of AIDS represent?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

achillesforever6 posted:

That's actually 1:1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

John McCain.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Max Wilco posted:

One could say that Donald Trump is comparable to Dong Zhuo, but you run the risk of A.) the audience not knowing who Dong Zhuo is, or B.) the audience only knowing him as "the fat, ugly, evil guy from Dynasty Warriors."

It's been awhile since I read RotTK but I don't think Dong Zhuo was was popular with anyone whereas Trump still has his base. If anything Trump is more like Liu Bei, a populist who is on the outside of politics but is also hopeless at everything.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No analogy is perfect. Trump and Dong both line up in being imbecilic fat rapists who rode into power by claiming to fix something that they only made worse.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

It’s depressingly true that nobody reads new fiction any more. One of my friends from college worked for many years to become an editor, and almost from the moment she got a job she’s been afraid that she was going to lose it because the numbers for literary fiction are so low that what would have been a modest success 20 years ago is now considered remarkable and the only things that move are fad garbage like Ernest Cline and 50 Shades.

It's not true that fewer people are reading - reading is actually at an all time high, sales are at an all time high, novels are doing great! .... just, they tend to be incredibly specialized and niche, as we see with, say, dinosaur erotica. It is true that numbers for literary fiction are trending downwards, but not for reading in general (especially for younger people). Now is a great time to be a Chuck Tingle, so if your passion is being pounded in the butt by an anthropomorphized Internet personality forum, now is the time to follow that bliss my friend. That said, read new fiction. There's some great stuff out there! Read the Murderbot diaries! Read an Unkindness of Ghosts! Yes I am very biased towards SF.

(Also Hank's book is really good too, I really loved it, but I am incredibly biased as it is primarily about a) giant robots and b) the ethics of being internet famous, so it is basically genetically engineered to appeal to me and me alone)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've recently renewed my Analog subscription for another two years. Good writers there, albeit not literary fiction, so I guess you're nevertheless right.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

It's been awhile since I read RotTK but I don't think Dong Zhuo was was popular with anyone whereas Trump still has his base. If anything Trump is more like Liu Bei, a populist who is on the outside of politics but is also hopeless at everything.

:hmmyes:

I haven't read RotTK (partially out of fear of not being able to follow it real well), but when I was getting into Musou games, I do remember someone making a critique of Liu Bei along those lines. (Either that, or it was just a general complaint about how Shu is boring)

Terrible Opinions posted:

No analogy is perfect. Trump and Dong both line up in being imbecilic fat rapists who rode into power by claiming to fix something that they only made worse.

Well, I still maintain the notion that deposing the Ten Eunuchs was the 2nd century equivalent of 'draining the swamp'.

Pirate Jenny posted:

Yes I am very biased towards SF.

I remember from back when I was in school, I wondered why school reading lists/required reading/etc. didn't include more sci-fi books. From the one class that I remember, the only book I remember that we covered along those lines was Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Books like that or Fahrenheit 451 seems like they'd be the kind of thing you'd teach to impart lessons to students (only other books I remember reading in that particular class were Count of Monte Cristo and The Things They Carried).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 5, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

hey apparently some weirdo is advertising gambling on real life lootboxes to an audience of 8-12 year old kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ewyEF3Wd9M

i've honestly never heard of this jake paul guy before but he comes across as staggeringly sleazy.

e: wait is this guy related to the fucker that made a video out of going to the suicide forest in japan????? :stare:

Followup video's great, the other guy had a meltdown over all the attention his video got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw7LD2-gg14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Saw an ad for Orville and thought someone had made a Galaxy Quest series.

Which is not an insult, to be clear.