Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Bungou Stray Dogs chapter 69: https://imgur.com/a/ux9YM98

It's weird that Ango, who previously seemed to be a basically good guy, works for a group like that. I thought Ango was supposed to be part of the legitimate Abilities Secret Service and it was the Hunting Dogs who were black ops people. But this chapter made it seem like the legitimate Abilities Secret Service is just the armored mooks, and the actual government ability users are all Seventh Agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LibrarianCroaker posted:

This is basically perfect.

Wasn't there another panel where she outright tells him to be the most hosed up human being possible or something to that effect.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Wasn't there another panel where she outright tells him to be the most hosed up human being possible or something to that effect.

I gotchuu

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Bungou Stray Dogs chapter 69: https://imgur.com/a/ux9YM98

It's weird that Ango, who previously seemed to be a basically good guy, works for a group like that. I thought Ango was supposed to be part of the legitimate Abilities Secret Service and it was the Hunting Dogs who were black ops people. But this chapter made it seem like the legitimate Abilities Secret Service is just the armored mooks, and the actual government ability users are all Seventh Agency.

It reads as though 'seventh agency" is more like a distinct agency within the government and Ango has a public face woeking foe the ability agency and hidden face leading this group. The hunting dogs are more attached to the military

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Haha, I was LITERALLY at that page when I saw your post, I was going to post this previous page of a perfect example of how creepy the guy is.

She's a real piece of work too of course, but dang, that dude is busted.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I have kind of wanted to start a thread where we summarize animes and mangas based on a heavily distorted impression of what is really going on in them and have wanted to summarize this one as "A young man becomes the caretaker for a woman that moves to Tokyo who is blind because she cannot see anything through the hair that is always in front of her face."

Another one would be Moyasimon: A college student uses his special power to visualize bacteria to investigate why all the girls and some of the boys around him turn into goth girls.

Edit Female Knight: the story of a man who in a world of women who can only keep one eye open settles on falling in love with the strongest one he can find.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Thank you so much kind goon.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have kind of wanted to start a thread where we summarize animes and mangas based on a heavily distorted impression of what is really going on in them and have wanted to summarize this one as "A young man becomes the caretaker for a woman that moves to Tokyo who is blind because she cannot see anything through the hair that is always in front of her face."

Another one would be Moyasimon: A college student uses his special power to visualize bacteria to investigate why all the girls and some of the boys around him turn into goth girls.

Edit Female Knight: the story of a man who in a world of women who can only keep one eye open settles on falling in love with the strongest one he can find.

Is female knight the one with the buff knightess and priest guy who likes her? I love stories like that because they deconstruct the whole "Xena" thing where you have these badass female characters who actually DO want to be a bit more feminine, but have a hard time doing so(lack of maternal figure, being pushed into masculine profession, lacking stereotypical feminine build, etc).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Is female knight the one with the buff knightess and priest guy who likes her? I love stories like that because they deconstruct the whole "Xena" thing where you have these badass female characters who actually DO want to be a bit more feminine, but have a hard time doing so(lack of maternal figure, being pushed into masculine profession, lacking stereotypical feminine build, etc).

That's the one, but I don't think it's really going for some enlightening message, it's just there for blushing, pouting, and abs. And shark teeth, with one of the newer characters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

It reads as though 'seventh agency" is more like a distinct agency within the government and Ango has a public face woeking foe the ability agency and hidden face leading this group. The hunting dogs are more attached to the military

But I still don't get why they had a whole scene a few couple chapter ago that went out of its way to portray Ango as naive rather than evil, not to mention his whole speech back in the Dark Era arc when he talked Dazai into becoming a good guy. For that matter, back in the first chapter of BSG, normal people seem to be uncertain whether Ability users really exist, so why would Ango's work for an agency dealing with them be a "public face"? Or to put it a bit differently, why have a distinct Seventh Agency at all?

Hopefully we'll get a clearer sense of what Ango does and why in the next chapter.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 5, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

That's the one, but I don't think it's really going for some enlightening message, it's just there for blushing, pouting, and abs. And shark teeth, with one of the newer characters.

I kind of doubt it myself, but it's definitely something I like seeing like in I-Revo and Saotome Senshu where the female lead is very stereotypically masculine and it's treated as a mixed bag rather than the usual "Real Women Don't Wear Dresses" crap we tend to see nowadays when someone wants to do a "Strong Female Character". It feels more realistic if any of this is making any sense.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

This is a weird statement to me because this was the exact panel I decided I hated that comic on:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You hate the manga because one of the characters has internalized misogyny?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

is it internalized misogyny or just the author's misogyny leaking onto the page

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
From what I vaguely remember of it the priest guy wasn't trying to get her to be more womanly and princess-like but I only read a few chapters of it a long time ago.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
That and the relentless insistence of the dude on trying to protect her because she secretly needs to be, instead of like, admiring how loving cool she is.

I mean I wasn't exactly inspired to like it when the title was "treating a female knight, who has never been treated as a woman, as a woman" so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the male lead isn't enlightened or anything. he just has an ab fetish and the female lead has great abs that are always on display.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ChairMaster posted:

From what I vaguely remember of it the priest guy wasn't trying to get her to be more womanly and princess-like but I only read a few chapters of it a long time ago.

Oh hell no. He likes her EXACTLY the way she is, but very much treats her like a lady rather than one of the guys which a lot of series tend to do hence the title. It's what throws her since she sees herself as "Useless as a woman" in that she's not stereotypicaly feminine and whatnot. One of the flashbacks has her as a kid training with her dad and he REALLY pushed to be a hardcore knightess so she has some issues with self perception as a woman in that the idea of someone liking her in spite of not being feminine in the slightest, but even BECAUSE of her non-feminine traits really boggles her. I've always seen the series a huge riff on the whole concept of "Xena" characters that tend to get really overdone in the medium especially when they're very sterotypically hot if that makes any sense.

Edit: Yeah I know it's fluff that has issues and I know it's not going for some higher message(if it's going for message at all), but I like it for reasons I can't quite articulate.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 5, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

I kind of doubt it myself, but it's definitely something I like seeing like in I-Revo and Saotome Senshu where the female lead is very stereotypically masculine and it's treated as a mixed bag rather than the usual "Real Women Don't Wear Dresses" crap we tend to see nowadays when someone wants to do a "Strong Female Character". It feels more realistic if any of this is making any sense.

I really dig Saotome Senshu and I'm glad you mentioned it. The dude likes her because of all the 'unfeminine' stuff, not of 'in spite of.' Even 'Treating a Female Knight Etc' has that going for it. Saotome's probably my favorite romance manga running. It's got some of the most charming scenes, like when the leads have their first kiss and wonder when they should stop as they're running out of air. Can relate.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of tall cool girls, Looking Up To You is great so far: https://mangadex.org/title/32017/looking-up-to-you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone has translated the first chapter of what appears to be a very gory short manga of gods and humans fighting a tournament to find out if the gods will just wipe out humanity for sucking. they say that they can't do all of it and hopefully this encourages someone else to finish it

https://mangadex.org/chapter/517241/1

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There is a list of the tournament fighters in no particular order
Humans:

• Qin Shi Huang
  • King Leonidas
  • Tesla
  • Sasaki Kojiro
  • Jack the Ripper
  • Adam (The first human)
  • Raiden Tameemon
  • Soshi Okita
  • Gregory Rasputin
  • Michel Nostradamus
  • Lu Bu
  • Simo Häyhä
  • Sakata Kintoki

Gods

• Zeus
  • Buddha
  • Loki
  • Apollon
  • Poseidon
  • Susanoo no Mikoto
  • Heracles
  • Thor
  • Bishamonten
  • Anubis
  • Odin
  • Beelzebub
  • Shiva

Not going to lie, comic doesn't look too interesting but it's already better than Fate because it hasn't arbitrarily genderswapped anyone and I can't imagine this turning into some pseudo-harem series. It's no Shin Megami Tensei but I'll stick around to see if the white death gets a good fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Oh hell no. He likes her EXACTLY the way she is, but very much treats her like a lady rather than one of the guys which a lot of series tend to do hence the title. It's what throws her since she sees herself as "Useless as a woman" in that she's not stereotypicaly feminine and whatnot. One of the flashbacks has her as a kid training with her dad and he REALLY pushed to be a hardcore knightess so she has some issues with self perception as a woman in that the idea of someone liking her in spite of not being feminine in the slightest, but even BECAUSE of her non-feminine traits really boggles her. I've always seen the series a huge riff on the whole concept of "Xena" characters that tend to get really overdone in the medium especially when they're very sterotypically hot if that makes any sense.

Edit: Yeah I know it's fluff that has issues and I know it's not going for some higher message(if it's going for message at all), but I like it for reasons I can't quite articulate.

I think it's the "treats her like a lady" that's the problem. A statement like that has a bunch of assumptions/stereotypes built into it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not sure if it was linked in this thread and where I got it in the first place, but https://mangadex.org/title/22801/raise-wa-tanin-ga-ii is real unsettling, but funny, and intriguing, has a decently "goofy" yakuza setting while getting real fuckin real at a moment's notice. But the more I read of it, the more I kind of want to stop, because man this main dude is purestrain stalker psychopath.

Dude sorta reminds me of the Cheese in the Trap guy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

but it's already better than Fate because it hasn't arbitrarily genderswapped anyone

Ah so it's worse than Fate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's likely bad but it's short so gently caress it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

usogui owns and i highly recommend everyone read it especially as translations come out every day now

https://mangadex.org/chapter/204556/1

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

Ah so it's worse than Fate.

Grand Order exists so I don't see how many things can be worse than Fate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Oh hell no. He likes her EXACTLY the way she is, but very much treats her like a lady
define 'treating like a lady' and why you should treat a lady differently than a man

Grand Order exists so I don't see how many things can be worse than Fate.
grand order owns tho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nobody ever responds to my usogui posts but it's finally being translated so please read it if you don't

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jose posted:

Nobody ever responds to my usogui posts but it's finally being translated so please read it if you don't

I really gotta catch up..fell off it a few years back but its real good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
if you're looking for yakuza romance, accept no substitutes

https://mangadex.org/title/20244/jealousy-scarlet-beriko

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Jose posted:

I read it! I loved it when it was first getting translated but fell off when it became really infrequent. I saw new chapters up after a few years but didn't get back into it until you posted a while back, so thanks for the little motivation to pick it up again! It's just as enthralling as I remember :tipshat:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really gotta catch up..fell off it a few years back but its real good.
You won't be disappointed. It's as much fun, maybe more, than I recall

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm glad people are reading it

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Jose posted:

The last time Usogui was brought up I started reading it, only to realize that chapters 11 through 25 weren't on mangadex, and the only english translations I could find for those chapters were really bad.

Guess I'll just try to struggle through to chapter 26, since Usogui does seem really interesting.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Astus posted:

The last time Usogui was brought up I started reading it, only to realize that chapters 11 through 25 weren't on mangadex, and the only english translations I could find for those chapters were really bad.

Guess I'll just try to struggle through to chapter 26, since Usogui does seem really interesting.

Was your source EGScans? They have chapters 1-131 on their site

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

grand order owns tho

It would own even more if it was just an rpg with no Gacha mechanics.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

grand order owns tho
If you're into mobile gaming, and have several spreadsheets handy. :shrug:
I don't know, for me Fate has always been more a fascination because of the phenomenon it spawned rather than the actual quality of the story, but at this point I just see it as a cash cow designed to generate waifu's and money. But to each their own. I can't even tell you what is happening in the story anymore.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you beat the poo poo out of a demon god using a shield in order to save all of human history

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know, for me Fate has always been more a fascination because of the phenomenon it spawned rather than the actual quality of the story, but at this point I just see it as a cash cow designed to generate waifu's and money. But to each their own. I can't even tell you what is happening in the story anymore.
the story's really easy to follow honestly and its also really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Gods versus humankind story seems fun in an over dramatic way but now I'm just thinking of Kratos wiping the floor with them

Actual story is not that hard to follow and probably one of the things that distinguishes it from any other waifu generating gacha.