Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1CrA2SyR4

This randomly popped up on my recommendations. He talk about Ole Anderson being super racist which I've heard for years but it shifts into talking about the discrimination suit filed by a bunch of wrestlers against WCW. He accuses Booker T of getting a push for not signing up with the others.

Dunno how truthful that is but wasn't Ole done with the company after the early 90s?

Also in Death ofWCW Alvarez makes the whole case sound like blatant opportunism and completely unjustified. now Ole might be gone but that doesn't stop whoever was in charge from being super racist. I don't think Nash is but I guess we know about Hogan now and he was there so.... I dunno, what do you all who know more think

What? Chico has said many times the suit was justified. The only thing I can think of that he said was unjustified was Hardbody Harrison, I believe, whining Ric Flair earned more than he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Randaconda posted:

What? Chico has said many times the suit was justified. The only thing I can think of that he said was unjustified was Hardbody Harrison, I believe, whining Ric Flair earned more than he did.

Maybe it's just his tone but I remember listening to the Death of WCW audiobook and Alvarez sounds super sarcastic when he talks about, say, Sonny Onoo. I remember specifically it sounded like he was mocking how Onoo said stuff like 'I'll drive like a Kamikaze!" and then later on sues WCW for racism.

I'd have to go through it again but I know he talks about it several times and he always just sounded like he was mocking the whole thing. Maybe I misunderstood and he was mocking WCW? Like trying to convey "this is so obviously racist that I can't believe it."

I'm probably just dumb then. Sorry.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it's just his tone but I remember listening to the Death of WCW audiobook and Alvarez sounds super sarcastic when he talks about, say, Sonny Onoo. I remember specifically it sounded like he was mocking how Onoo said stuff like 'I'll drive like a Kamikaze!" and then later on sues WCW for racism.

I'd have to go through it again but I know he talks about it several times and he always just sounded like he was mocking the whole thing. Maybe I misunderstood and he was mocking WCW? Like trying to convey "this is so obviously racist that I can't believe it."

I'm probably just dumb then. Sorry.

Karl Stern was an expert witness during the trial, and he has one or two shows that goes in-depth into the lawsuit that are pretty drat good.

(His conclusion: WCW was racist as hell)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1CrA2SyR4

This randomly popped up on my recommendations. He talk about Ole Anderson being super racist which I've heard for years but it shifts into talking about the discrimination suit filed by a bunch of wrestlers against WCW. He accuses Booker T of getting a push for not signing up with the others.

Dunno how truthful that is but wasn't Ole done with the company after the early 90s?

Ole was still with the Power Plant through 1994ish. According to Jim Cornette, Eric Bischoff fired him for participating in a promo for Smoky Mountain, which was bringing in Bryant Anderson. Don't know if the firing stuck.

Harlem Heat came into WCW in 1993. They were getting a mild push in 1994, much more by late 1994/early 1995 when paired with Sherri Martel.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The suit itself is really comprehensive and had evidence that WCW was a racist organization from top to bottom; they had witnesses from their call center and merch warehouse that had compelling testimony

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
In my experience, the Internet loves to call it a frivolous lawsuit because it typically gets presented as "uppity minorities are mad because they're not getting pushed!!". I imagine Alvarez was not like that at all but then the Internet happened.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Here are some relevant passages:

quote:

Playing to the xenophobic nature of pro-wrestling crowds, especially those containing thousands of (likely inebriated) bikers, the Hog Wild encounter saw the two fight for the right to smash their opponent’s motorcycle. It should be noted that Bull’s manager was the dimunitive walking Japanese stereotype, Sonny Onoo, who would later file a lawsuit against WCW for racial discrimination. This despite his claim that he’d ride his bike “like a kamikaze” during this match. Anyway, despite the best efforts of Nakano and Onoo — who unfortunately did not attempt a suicide mission with his Honda — Madusa got the duke and took a sledgehammer to the bike to the cheers of the crowd.

quote:

At the time of the latest WCW-WWF lawsuit, the company found itself being sued by one of its workers as well. In June, prelim wrestler Bobby Walker filed a lawsuit against the company claiming racial discrimination, saying WCW told him point blank that he was being hired as a token black man, and that he always had to lose. Never mind the fact that there were ten times the number of white guys who were asked to always lose by WCW. Another one of his points was that he made a lot less than many of the white performers, including — he actually said this — Ric Flair. The suit was eventually thrown out. As absurd as this whole thing sounds on the surface, another suit filed by Sonny Onoo dragged on for five years, and numerous minority wrestlers jumped on the bandwagon. When Onoo’s suit was finally settled by Time Warner (long after WCW had ceased to exist), it was said that the guys filing suit made out like bandits.

quote:

The company was now in a full-fledged state of panic, and began cutting costs left and right. More people were also fired that week, including every Mexican in the entire company with the exception of Rey Mysterio Jr. and Juventud Guerrera. This certainly did not help WCW in regard to Sonny Onoo’s racial discrimination lawsuit. By the time the bloodletting was over, they were down to less than fifty wrestlers under contract. That’s pretty impressive when you consider they went into the year with 234. A freeze was also put on the hiring of any more new talent.

Onoo's lawsuit appears prima facie ridiculous because it was filed by a terrible performer who only had his job because of personal connections and spent his entire career gleefully portraying a racial stereotype. But of course WCW was endemically racist.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Karl Stern was appalled, in his usual low key manner, when he talked about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The WCW racial discrimination lawsuit is a funny case because the company definitely racially discriminated against its wrestlers (including the plaintiffs) but the ones who were discriminated the worst against (the Mexican talent) weren't included in the lawsuit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Weren't a lot of the Mexican talent on loan from AAA and had decent deals through AAA?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No Konnan signed guys away from AAA and that's why AAA had a partnership with WWF for like a year

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

coconono posted:

Weren't a lot of the Mexican talent on loan from AAA and had decent deals through AAA?
The deals for the Mexican talent were good insofar as they could also take bookings in Mexico. WCW cut that off in 1998 and pissed everyone off. That was in addition to the pointless debacle that was WCW Latino, the way they damaged Rey's career by having him lose his mask in a pointless way, Steve Williams injuring three Mexican guys in one night, and a bunch of other poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

The deals for the Mexican talent were good insofar as they could also take bookings in Mexico. WCW cut that off in 1998 and pissed everyone off. That was in addition to the pointless debacle that was WCW Latino, the way they damaged Rey's career by having him lose his mask in a pointless way, Steve Williams injuring three Mexican guys in one night, and a bunch of other poo poo.

They still kept taking dates after that too under the assumption no one in the office was paying attention.

They were right for the most part.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is the peso devaluation the most important event in wrestling history no one talks about

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Now that you mention it, the changes in the tax laws that Jim Barnett took advantage of are probably up there.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

MassRafTer posted:

They still kept taking dates after that too under the assumption no one in the office was paying attention.

They were right for the most part.

The fact that even the lowest guys on the ladder knew they could do whatever they wanted is really great.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's crazy to think that LA Park was in the hottest feud in Mexico and setting attendance records in Monterrey, Juarez and Nuevo Laredo while he was doing nothing in WCW and no one noticed

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

best part of the monday night war was when all the this is the poo poo which went on in the wcw locker room this week stories would drop on the sheet websites. Place was pretty much animal house the wrestling locker room.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

really the best part of mondey night was getting Them eggs out of the tree in the backyard. they were not worth cooking up but you would just pop them in and break em with your tongue against the roof of your mouth and do a slurp procedure. them eggs didn't show up since 2006,

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I've never seen this before. Take a chill pill, Bill.

https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/1081349296342134784

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Bischoff had an obsession with making the Latino wrestlers lose their masks. Juventud Guerrera and Psicosis lost theirs soon after Mysterio.

This has now made me remember what a cluster the announcing situation was with the luchadores on Nitro and Thunder. No one, save for Mike Tenay, knew jack squat about any of them and only Tenay gave it an ounce of respect in announcing their matches.

... and then it got even more racist under Russo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

The fact that even the lowest guys on the ladder knew they could do whatever they wanted is really great.

When Psicosis found out he was going to lose his mask to Kidman he lost it to Rey Misterio Sr. first in Mexico to get an extra payday.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

When Psicosis found out he was going to lose his mask to Kidman he lost it to Rey Misterio Sr. first in Mexico to get an extra payday.

That’s a really smart move on a few levels, good for him.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

That was semi-common back in the day when magazines were the only way to get info about wrestling especially in Northern Mexico where the magazines didn't cover

Rey Jr lost his mask in Tijuana when he learned Nash was taking his

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Juventud I could understand as he was a decent-looking guy without the mask. Mysterio's mask, on the other hand, looked great and I think was selling like hot cakes even back then. Psicosis' mask was also cool, and he was really not a good-looking bloke at all. Both of those decisions are mind-boggling to me.

Now I'm thinking of the first One Night Stand show where Psicosis is greeted with loud "PUT THE MASK ON!" chants.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah when I think of Juvi I think of maskless Juvi. He had a good look and good charisma, I think he was better without it.

Like when I thought WWE was crazy taking the mask off Sami, but they were right.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Rey also looks perpetually thirteen years old.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lets not forget that they replaced Rey's mask with a set of rubber horns when he was in the Filthy Animals.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

rovert posted:

I've never seen this before. Take a chill pill, Bill.

https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/1081349296342134784

Did DDP seriously recommend that he quote Creed, or did I misunderstand?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Lets not forget that they replaced Rey's mask with a set of rubber horns when he was in the Filthy Animals.

In WCW's defence it's very possible that was Rey's choice. The horns, anyways.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Halloween Jack posted:

Onoo's lawsuit appears prima facie ridiculous because it was filed by a terrible performer who only had his job because of personal connections and spent his entire career gleefully portraying a racial stereotype. But of course WCW was endemically racist.

MassRafTer posted:

The WCW racial discrimination lawsuit is a funny case because the company definitely racially discriminated against its wrestlers (including the plaintiffs) but the ones who were discriminated the worst against (the Mexican talent) weren't included in the lawsuit.
Onoo was also far from the only plaintiff, he was just the most public-facing one. He and Cary Ichter also gave an interview to Wrestleline where they and the case came off horribly: http://the-w.com/bonus-this-day-in-ben-miller-interviews

But...

Like Jack alluded to, they had so much evidence that it didn't matter. Most of the plaintiffs in the main overlapping lawsuits had ties to the Power Plant, either as students or from tryouts. Well, except for Onoo and whoever Rick Reeves was. From WCW's motion for summary judgment on Reeves's case:

"Reeves's claims are baseless . Most of the alleged actions by WCW that Reeves contends support his claims of discrimination barred by the applicable statute of limitations . With WCW's alleged actions that are not time-barred, there is no evidence that WCW ever treated Reeves differently because of his race . In fact, Reeves never performed any services for or on behalf of WCW, and the record is devoid of any evidence that WCW even knew who Reeves was. Reeves's discrimination claims not only lack legal foundation and factual support, they are frivolous and abusive. Accordingly, summary judgment should be granted on all of Reeves's discrimination claims."

(Apparently he was a Thunderbolt Patterson trainee who repeatedly called the office looking for work and pretty much never heard anything substantive back.)

Smoking Crow posted:

It's crazy to think that LA Park was in the hottest feud in Mexico and setting attendance records in Monterrey, Juarez and Nuevo Laredo while he was doing nothing in WCW and no one noticed.
In fairness, this wasn't being covered in the English-speaking hardcore fan scene, either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

In fairness, this wasn't being covered in the English-speaking hardcore fan scene, either.

Dave definitely covered the Pierroth Jr apuestas match including that Parka had faked an injury to WCW management (or was working through a real one) to work dates and build up to the blow off.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

MassRafTer posted:

Dave definitely covered the Pierroth Jr apuestas match including that Parka had faked an injury to WCW management (or was working through a real one) to work dates and build up to the blow off.

But in the 90s most IWC fans got their news from sites like LordsofPain and whatever site Hyette was on. Those sites just didn’t rip off Dave’s coverage of Lucha in the same way as they would for the rumored Shawn Michaels jumps to WCW bullshit.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

The apuestas match, yes, but not the string of record business across northern Mexico, IIRC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

But in the 90s most IWC fans got their news from sites like LordsofPain and whatever site Hyette was on. Those sites just didn’t rip off Dave’s coverage of Lucha in the same way as they would for the rumored Shawn Michaels jumps to WCW bullshit.

You'd hear a little about lucha on the BBs but the amount of talk was probably below even a company like RINGS. And the RINGS chat only happened because of Zach Arnold.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In WCW's defence it's very possible that was Rey's choice. The horns, anyways.

Rey has said the horns were his wife's idea.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
They were part of rave/ecstasy culture at the time. Clubber wear.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Rey has said the horns were his wife's idea.

Rey was, and still is too young to marry. That is how we knew Dominick was Eddy's son.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Steven Spielberg's AI is based on Rey's life.

The Aliens/Robots at the end represent the phrophesized repair of his knees at the hands of doctors. They look so weird because he is under sedation.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Youtube is the only algorithm that gets me and instead of suggesting alt right videos like it does everyone else suggests Chase Tatum vs Van Hammer from Saturday Night.

The match is loving horrible but my favorite part is for the first two minutes of the video the announcers never even mention the wrestlers in it. It's a cliche that WCW announcers only talk about the nWo but they completely ignore the entrances and the start of this match. Then talk about then for 10 seconds and start talking about a different match on the PPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWw4wAlfbiA

There is one actual highlight during the match:

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1084121338527256576