Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Has anyone been to Grand Teton National Park?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I was there briefly a few years ago. Crowded, but not as absurdly crowded as Yellowstone.

I only spent a day there though. Would like to go back and explore further.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea looking at an early May trip during the week.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

If you have enough time, Lewis and Clark Caverns state park is in that general vicinity (a tad northwest of Yellowstone) and it's a really nice cave. Lots of good lighting and cave formations inside.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea looking at an early May trip during the week.

My wife and I spent a week in Moose, WY near Grand Teton NP in Spring 2017. We were there the last couple of days of April, first of May. Jackson Hole was in the off season and wasn't very crowded. Most of the trails were still snow covered. We did see a lot of wildlife, grizzly, moose, elk, etc. The park wasn't crowded and there was plenty to do.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wanted to go there during the eclipse, but that poo poo was probably fully booked over a year out and absolute chaos

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MonkeyWash posted:

My wife and I spent a week in Moose, WY near Grand Teton NP in Spring 2017. We were there the last couple of days of April, first of May. Jackson Hole was in the off season and wasn't very crowded. Most of the trails were still snow covered. We did see a lot of wildlife, grizzly, moose, elk, etc. The park wasn't crowded and there was plenty to do.

Thanks! That sounds perfect.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Salton Sea at dawn from just before Villager Peak. Hiking in snow in the desert is interesting.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

In photography news, I just picked up a used RRS ball head and have a used Gitzo tripod coming. So those should be nice for the upcoming year.

In gun news, I moved a smaller laser onto my suppressed .22 SBR, along with a vis/IR switchable scout light.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

In photography news, I just picked up a used RRS ball head and have a used Gitzo tripod coming. So those should be nice for the upcoming year.

In gun news, I moved a smaller laser onto my suppressed .22 SBR, along with a vis/IR switchable scout light.

I googled this Gitzo tripod because I've been looking for a lightweight travel tripod. :yikes:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The one I have coming is the G1127. Older, but the specs on it look decent, like a cougar tripod. Was used for $200 at BHPhoto. Much more reasonable than the RRS tripod I had previously been eyeing at $800ish :suicide:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DoktorLoken posted:

I googled this Gitzo tripod because I've been looking for a lightweight travel tripod. :yikes:

I've got this one. It's sweet.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926480-REG/benro_c2350q2t_2_series_carbon_travl_tripod.html

Also booked two trips for the year - Rocky Mountains National Park and Grand Teton.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice, what are you gonna hit in Rocky Mountain?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Nice, what are you gonna hit in Rocky Mountain?

Great question. No idea. Trip isn't till July. Any suggestions?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not at all familiar with the west side, so I can't comment there. But as far as the east side, the easy stuff would be driving up Old Fall River road to the alpine visitors center, and coming back down Trail Ridge road. Assuming it's open at that point. (Usually is by then.) Lots of places to stop and get pictures along both of those roads, though Trail Ridge is the more crowded of the two. You can get lots of shots along both roads if you have any kind of zoom lens.

As far as hikes, the most famous and popular one is the one out to Emerald Lake. I don't bother in the summer due to the crowds. It's nice, but not head and shoulders over any other glacial lakes I've been to. It is however a pretty short hike, only 3.17 miles round trip. There's a side trail off of it that goes to Lake Haiyaha, which is also quite nice.

If you have time for a longer hike, Black Lake is really nice(appx 10 miles RT.) If you want to really make it a long day, there are side trails going up to it that will take you to Shelf and Solitude Lakes, and then beyond it to Green and Frozen Lakes. Sky Pond is also really nice, but more popular (9 miles.) There's a side trail off of that to the Andrews glacier, which is a pretty rough mile. Both of those are off of the Glacier Gorge trailhead, and if you want to park there, you need to be there early, like 5:30AM. Otherwise you have to rely on the shuttle.

The Lake Helene/Odessa Lake loop is also very nice and not as strenuous (9ish miles one way.) You start at the Bear Lake parking lot, have just a bit of uphill, and the rest is downhill. That is, unless you take any side trips (Tourmaline and Loomis lake.) You then take the shuttle back from the Cub Lake trailhead.

Chasm Lake is also a gorgeous hike (9 miles RT), though the parking lot fills quickly as well.

The Wild Basin area in the SE corner has some wonderful lakes too (Bluebird, Eagle, Isolation, Frigid) but it's also deceptively tough since the trailhead starts you off at a lower elevation. I did a long loop here last August and it really beat the poo poo out of me. Have to be prepared to land nav to some of the lakes/waterfalls in question too. Seemed much less crowded to me than the main park area.

There's way more out there that I haven't done, so I can't comment on the peak hikes or things like that. I like glacial lakes, so that's what I tend to stick to.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Forgotten Weapons did a bit on the G11. Pretty interesting if you've never heard of the specifics behind the G11, or the developmental / contractual / political bullshit happening behind the scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKcvM2Hh4g

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Does any ammo still exist for that thing?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
That gun is just....so..... German

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:lol: "If you have to detail strip it, you're totally screwed"

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

I'm not at all familiar with the west side, so I can't comment there.

I'm familiar with the West Side. There are some great trails there as well.

Adams Falls is a short hike on the North Side of Grand Lake that is still in the park, The falls are nice and you can continue on the trail for 7 miles past more falls to a lake with consistent moose sightings.

LuLu City is a trail leading to a ghost town but there aren't really any structures

Tonahutu Creek Trail is a 13 mile trail that loops around forest and meadow, have seen quite a bit of wildlife on this trail

holocaust bloopers posted:

Great question. No idea. Trip isn't till July. Any suggestions?

Are you camping?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
First time I heard of that was the original Twilight 2000 RPG back in the mid 80s

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

would anyone be interested in a gip coordinated hike this summer?

I'm thinking hike somewhere we can drop main backs and fish/day hike

PookBear fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 7, 2019

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The Aardvark posted:

Salton Sea at dawn from just before Villager Peak. Hiking in snow in the desert is interesting.

I definitely want to make a trip out there at some point, interesting history for sure

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

would anyone be interested in a gip coordinated hike this summer?

I'm thinking hike somewhere we can drop main backs and fish/day hike

If you do pacific NW, I'd recommend Packwood lake and goat rocks wilderness. I think they restock the lake with fish every year, but it probably gets busy in the summer. I'd tag along if I could bring the baby and the wife was ok with it, but that seems like a bit much.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 11, 2019

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

if it's PNW territory i'd be down.

I sleep nude and since I don't have a body pillow that's travel side I will need a replacement...

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Preview shot. Just finished mounting the scope the other day. Still need to zero and test fire. CZ455, .22LR, with a can. For use as a precision rifle trainer and trash panda neural inhibitor. (Because my previous Savage .22LR bolt gun just wasn't silly enough.)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I heard those cz455s are real slick, I kinda want one as my next squirrel gun

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'm really looking forward to trying it. Especially since with the Arca Swiss plate on the bottom of the stock, I can try mounting it to the photography tripod I have coming.

HOBBY SYNERGY

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The tactilol thread wasn't intended for user-created content, but fair enough

:v: looks fun, I wish I had a can for 22 so I could pop squirrels and grouse while deer hunting. Hoping a threaded buckmark pops up for $200 sometime soon.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Slim Pickens posted:

The tactilol thread wasn't intended for user-created content, but fair enough

:v: looks fun, I wish I had a can for 22 so I could pop squirrels and grouse while deer hunting. Hoping a threaded buckmark pops up for $200 sometime soon.

I always carry a mkiii and instead of a silencer, I just don't use it until I've totally given up on the deer lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the rat does your gf shoot?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

A little. She was fairly anti gun when we met, but I've since tried to demonstrate a responsible gun other and stay open to her trying it out. She did and enjoyed it, and has since gone to several of the monthly IDPA matches with me. Still shooting my semi MP5K rather than a pistol, but she does reasonably well with it. Have been trying to generally go with her pace and level of interest when it comes to shooting, since I want it to keep being a good experience for her. That and most of the time we'd rather be hiking anyways.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

if it's PNW territory i'd be down.

I sleep nude and since I don't have a body pillow that's travel side I will need a replacement...

Slim Pickens posted:

If you do pacific NW, I'd recommend Packwood lake and goat rocks wilderness. I think they restock the lake with fish every year, but it probably gets busy in the summer. I'd tag along if I could bring the baby and the wife was ok with it, but that seems like a bit much.

Yeah I'd like to do it in PNW since its pretty and allows weed.

And I don't see any problem with bringing wives or babies since my rough plan would be hike in on the first day and setup tents in a location that would allow people to hike to a lake/stream to fish, day hike along the trails there, walk around taking photos and in general just chill there for the next two days and hiking out on the fourth.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We'll see, I ran the idea of camping by her and she wouldn't wanna be more than a couple miles from a road in case the baby gets sick etc.

The cool thing about packwood is you can do a 4 mile hike in or you can scoot up to the lake on an orv along a different path, something I'd consider for supplies and stuff.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 11, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Going a short ways along the Pacific Crest Trail might satisfy a lot of those requirements

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If it’s in the PNW I’d join up. Prolly chase some tail.

Trout tail.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

If it’s in the PNW I’d join up. Prolly chase some tail.

Trout tail.

I'm all for some fishing, however it seems like Oregon fish and wildlife did some weird things this year due to numbers and whatnot, and they banned fishing in a few areas during the season. Granted we're talking something later in the year but if fishing is a big part of the trip it might dictate where the actual hiking/camping takes place.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nice and hot piss posted:

I'm all for some fishing, however it seems like Oregon fish and wildlife did some weird things this year due to numbers and whatnot, and they banned fishing in a few areas during the season. Granted we're talking something later in the year but if fishing is a big part of the trip it might dictate where the actual hiking/camping takes place.

Meh. I’m all for just meeting people and chilling. Can’t smoke the devils lettuce but I don’t really care if others do as long you dont try to rope me into a discussion about the curvature of your hands man. Like wow.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Meh. I’m all for just meeting people and chilling. Can’t smoke the devils lettuce but I don’t really care if others do as long you dont try to rope me into a discussion about the curvature of your hands man. Like wow.

we can be the sober crew and talk about things like ducks and look for bigfoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Y'all like ducks?