Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VitalSigns posted:

Other countries run zero deficits?

They never deficit spend, at all?

Deficit spending is something that you due for large infrastructure projects and to juice the economy when it it's in recession not for ongoing expenses. The foolishness of the Obama era policies of austerity was that interest rates were so low that we could literally have made money through deficit spending.

However and this is important. In the good times you are supposed to pay down those deficits so you have more room to move when it comes to juicing the pump again. The ideal of Kensian economics is that left to it's own devices market capitalism will result in a boom /bust cycle as irrational exuberance inflates the economy then eventually that bubble bursts and the economy shrinks in a recession. Deficit spending is a part of the regulatory tool kit to level things out so that you're economy grows at a slower sustained rate and minimize and mitigate the downturns to create a stable system.

It doesn't mean that you just print money forever, because that can lead to hyperinflation which is another problem. That said the Fed and powers that be worry too much about controlling inflation because some inflation is good because it lessens the value of existing wealth and increases the economic power of the workers.

The reason we have an insanely high debt is because Republicans are loving idiots and instead of taking advantage of good times to build up our national treasure chest (by paying down the debt) to be ready to deal with down turns they piss it all away to the Rentier class in the form of tax cuts which leads to over exuberance from those investors which fuels the next bubble and eventually explodes into the next recession where we end up needing to deficit spend again in order to pull things back from the crash then rinse and repeat the next time the economy gets good again.

Deficits and debt matter, and we shouldn't just print money to buy everything on credit it's just a lot more complex than dealing with your home budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

Trump has such a poo poo understanding of __________ and it's really telling

Just fill it in with anything

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

InsertPotPun posted:

https://twitter.com/coolcam101/status/1081340134354604032
I had no idea someone actually said a tan suit "isn't presidential"
I thought the tan suit looked terrible, and that President Obama looked awful in it.

... And that has absolutely no bearing on anything of any importance at all. Unless your news show is entirely devoted to fashion tips, what the gently caress is any news outlet even doing talking about the color of his admittedly godawful looking suit? If I met him in person while he was wearing that, the only way I'm going to think that sartorial abortion is worth commenting on is if Barack himself directly asks me "So, what do you think of my outfit?" Even then, I'll probably change the subject instead.

EDIT: Wait, did they just freak out because the light-colored suit made him look even blacker than usual? Is it that simple?

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 5, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone at NASA is a Nazi, probably

https://twitter.com/rebeccawatson/status/1081354031212113920?s=19

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes I agree with this completely, it's a succinct explanation of why PAYGO is terrible because it prevents you from doing that kind of countercyclical fiscal policy, and in fact that's exactly what happened when it was passed, with disastrous economic (and electoral) results.

E: Yes theoretically you could just waive that whenever you need fiscal stimulus, but the political reality is that once you campaign on fiscal conservatism and balanced budgets and restraint (not like that free-spending George W Bush) it's really really hard politically to convince legislators to go against that. You look like a fool and a hypocrite, and after spending years feeding voters platitudes about fiscal responsibility you can't turn on a dime and make a nuanced argument for Keynesian policy and make it stick, and politicians know that. In fact the whole argument for PAYGO counts on the fact that we think it's impossible to make a nuanced argument for countercyclical deficit-spending as the PAYGO-boosters in here will tell you.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 5, 2019

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

haveblue posted:

Now google dijon mustard.

I'm more focused on the last bit of the clip, where a normal press secretary jokes around with the press.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Guess the moon base is running low on supplies.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Well work fired off an email this afternoon saying "we currently anticipate being able to continue operations for a few additional weeks".

Whatever that means.

Getting the same thing working for the snap program for dcfs of Louisiana. Daily don't want to be out of work. Not to mention the strain for my clients.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1081353458396078086

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Skex posted:

It's a fig leaf tossed out to calm the idiots who don't understand that there is a difference between a household budget and a national budget.

Idiots like Obama?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Paradoxish posted:

You're kind of missing my point. I'm not saying that right-wing media isn't potentially effective, I'm saying that Fox is specifically really bad. Like, if you haven't been exposed to Fox News much then you can't quite grasp how just how terrible it really is. I don't think most people with even a modicum of critical thinking abilities are going to be influenced by Alex Jones, and Fox News in most cases is barely a step above that. They don't have some magical formula for targeting average white dudes and that is blatantly obvious from their actual programming.

Don't fool yourself, the one field of science that conservatives due believe in is the parts of cognitive science that relates to public relations and propaganda, they have spent decades of effort and billions of dollars in research on the subject.

I personally avoid right wing media because that poo poo is brain poison. Seriously the people who watch it professionally should get hazard pay and psychological care.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/rep-rashida-tlaib-doubles-down-after-explicit-trump-comment-president-has-met-his-match

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

According to this, the scientists responsible for choosing the name were aware of the connection, but felt the original connotations of the words outweighed the Nazi connection after conferring with NASA's legal department. As a name, it is way more cool than the six that came in before it in voting. drat shame about the Nazi connotations, I had never heard of that before now. Nazis appropriated a lot of otherwise benign poo poo like the swastika and it's frustrating that using those symbols and ideas has been tainted by 1900s CHUDs.

https://www.space.com/42882-ultima-thule-new-horizons-name-controversy.html

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

We really do have the dumbest motherfuckers running this country

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Leftists trying to tie paygo to the death of MFA is quite frankly dumb since that is EXACTLY how single payer works in other countries. You aren't going to just print money to pay for health care.

Name the times Congressional Dems raised taxes across the board for anything since Pay-Go was passed. Go on; I'll wait.

They didn't even let the "Bush" tax cuts sunset across the board bc "middle-class families" making $250,000/year would've been sad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Priapus Unbound posted:

According to this, the scientists responsible for choosing the name were aware of the connection, but felt the original connotations of the words outweighed the Nazi connection after conferring with NASA's legal department. As a name, it is way more cool than the six that came in before it in voting. drat shame about the Nazi connotations, I had never heard of that before now. Nazis appropriated a lot of otherwise benign poo poo like the swastika and it's frustrating that using those symbols and ideas has been tainted by 1900s CHUDs.

https://www.space.com/42882-ultima-thule-new-horizons-name-controversy.html

I mean it's not some obscure thing, the nazis literally had the 'Thule Society' and poo poo.

It's like the joke, yea nazis ate sausage and that doesn't mean sausage is a nazi symbol, but if your sausage links are in the shape of a swastika you may have some issues.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I mean it's not some obscure thing, the nazis literally had the 'Thule Society' and poo poo.

It's like the joke, yea nazis ate sausage and that doesn't mean sausage is a nazi symbol, but if your sausage links are in the shape of a swastika you may have some issues.

And many Americans live and work in Thule Air Base but they're not working on bringing about the Fourth Reich. Don't let some dead 1940s Nazis win this one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PAYGO isn't some constitutional thing that we have to deal with like the Electoral College or the Senate. It's an intentionally progressive legislation loving idea that has no purpose and just ends up being an albatross around the necks of the Democrats both legislatively and electorally. It's only purpose is allowing conservative Democrats an excuse for why they just can't do anything good.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ok but this isn't post war England. You have healthcare systems in place already, single payer in fact (medicare, tricare, ect.) You aren't going to necessarily going to need a $46 billion dollar investment up front. Plus as Greyjoy pointed out, paygo systems stick better than general spending systems.

Cool; get back to me when you see Dems making the case for across-the-board, permanent tax increases.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fallom posted:

And many Americans live and work in Thule Air Base but they're not working on bringing about the Fourth Reich. Don't let some dead 1940s Nazis win this one.

Thule Air Base was built in the early 40's if I remember right, which is a lot different than being done in 2018 when you can google 'Ultima Thule' and see 'oh yea this was a biggie for the nazis too let's pick one of the six options that beat it'

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For Marine Spy Man it may have been answered earlier, but weird marines citizenship makes sense.

He has Irish Grandparents, His Parents were born in the UK, he was born in Canada, his parents moved to the USA when he was a kid and he was naturalized as a US citizen.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Name the times Congressional Dems raised taxes across the board for anything since Pay-Go was passed. Go on; I'll wait.

They didn't even let the "Bush" tax cuts sunset across the board bc "middle-class families" making $250,000/year would've been sad.

Once again Willa you are either lying or being deliberately obtuse.

quote:

So what happened? Two things, mainly. First, Obama used the expiring Bush tax cuts as leverage to force Congress to accept higher tax rates for the rich. Couples with more than $450,000 in taxable income faced a top rate of 39.6 percent, not 35 percent, and the top capital gains rate went up from 15 percent to 20 percent; income taxes were back to where they were for the rich under Clinton.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Yes I agree with this completely, it's a succinct explanation of why PAYGO is terrible because it prevents you from doing that kind of countercyclical fiscal policy, and in fact that's exactly what happened when it was passed, with disastrous economic (and electoral) results.

E: Yes theoretically you could just waive that whenever you need fiscal stimulus, but the political reality is that once you campaign on fiscal conservatism and balanced budgets and restraint (not like that free-spending George W Bush) it's really really hard politically to convince legislators to go against that. You look like a fool and a hypocrite, and after spending years feeding voters platitudes about fiscal responsibility you can't turn on a dime and make a nuanced argument for Keynesian policy and make it stick, and politicians know that. In fact the whole argument for PAYGO counts on the fact that we think it's impossible to make a nuanced argument for countercyclical deficit-spending as the PAYGO-boosters in here will tell you.

OK obviously I failed to convey my core point which is that in general you want to generate sufficient revenue to cover ongoing expenses.

Deficit spending should be a "break glass in case of emergency" option not "I want a new shiny so let me pull out this credit card"

The problem is that thanks to the loving Republicans and to a lesser but significant extent to Democratic enablers starting with Reagan we've been doing the latter.

And of course climate change is another giant loving emergency but that does not mean that thought should not be given to long term sustained funding aka PayGo on the assumption that eventually there will come a time when we are not in emergency conditions.

Hell the Democrats are a missing major response to the stupid wall argument, the Republicans want their monument to racism they need to raise taxes to pay for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Look at the loving piss baby getting lectured by a woman.

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1081347362310815745

christ, what a loving poo poo show. i agree with shimra, i think this is his last year or he won't be re elected. he is loving losing his poo poo and mitch the turtle wasnt there today.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

They're about 70 years late with this realization of Nazis at NASA.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Thule Air Base was built in the early 40's if I remember right, which is a lot different than being done in 2018 when you can google 'Ultima Thule' and see 'oh yea this was a biggie for the nazis too let's pick one of the six options that beat it'

Yeah it definitely seemed like a coincidence to me until I saw that it was only #7 on the popular vote. That's a deliberate choice.

OTOH the nazi holy land looking like a space turd is pretty appropriate.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Skex posted:

Hell the Democrats are a missing major response to the stupid wall argument, the Republicans want their monument to racism they need to raise taxes to pay for it.

LoooL. I'm not sure that the Democrats should raise taxes right after retaking the House. That seems like a very long lasting bad idea.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

christ, what a loving poo poo show. i agree with shimra, i think this is his last year or he won't be re elected. he is loving losing his poo poo and mitch the turtle wasnt there today.

Dude he's literally in the picture.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

cochise posted:

They're about 70 years late with this realization of Nazis at NASA.

Lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VH4Ever posted:

Dude he's literally in the picture.

sorry i mean the whole stupid show outside the white house today. he wasnt there. Kevin the moron was.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/SenatorRomney/status/1081354636379021312

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

That tweet makes me irrationally angry.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorry i mean the whole stupid show outside the white house today. he wasnt there. Kevin the moron was.

Right, OK. This can't go on much longer. They shut the gov't down because they don't know what it does though. After two years in office.

I need a stiff drink.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
On the subject of Nazis in Nasa “Once the rockets go up who cares where they come down? That’s not my department!” says Wernher Von Braun

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Skex posted:

OK obviously I failed to convey my core point which is that in general you want to generate sufficient revenue to cover ongoing expenses.

Deficit spending should be a "break glass in case of emergency" option not "I want a new shiny so let me pull out this credit card"

The problem is that thanks to the loving Republicans and to a lesser but significant extent to Democratic enablers starting with Reagan we've been doing the latter.

And of course climate change is another giant loving emergency but that does not mean that thought should not be given to long term sustained funding aka PayGo on the assumption that eventually there will come a time when we are not in emergency conditions.

The current US healthcare system is an emergency for millions of people, and fixing it would simultaneously be a massive economic stimulus, a massive structural reinforcement to the economy as people no longer have to worry about bankruptcy from medical bills, and an extremely good investment as even government healthcare costs would drop sharply in the long run. It's a textbook example of something for which deficit spending would be justifiable, even though right now in this economy it would be better to pay for it by raising taxes. It's not a "new shiny", and if you think it is then your privilege is showing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

:iiapa:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

LoooL. I'm not sure that the Democrats should raise taxes right after retaking the House. That seems like a very long lasting bad idea.

The point would be to make the Republicans vote to raise taxes. Since they are essentially allergic to the idea it would be fun to watch them squirm. On that note people really need to be pushing the idea that Trump's tariffs are taxes paid by Americans.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gently caress off Mitt you worthless sack of poo poo.

PneumonicBook posted:

That tweet makes me irrationally angry.

Nah it's absolutely rational.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah it definitely seemed like a coincidence to me until I saw that it was only #7 on the popular vote. That's a deliberate choice.

OTOH the nazi holy land looking like a space turd is pretty appropriate.

Did you see the rest of the list? It was definitely the best name. Terra Nova is boring, Peanut is uncool.

Cold far place? Bam, historical affiliations with exploration and it is a cold distant place. Most poetic name in the lot. CHUDs are cultural remoras.