Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Where is Urban Smurf when we need him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

We'll just have to wait and see when that happens

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
Just got in trouble posting that. Sorry

3M TA3 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 4, 2019

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oh yah, for some MYSTERIOUS REASON every single thread gets flooded with nonsense from people who can't read around early 2018. That image 1 thread has been especially maddening. I think it's because with all those rocks, it's pretty much staring at clouds in terms of people being able to see whatever they want.

Even though there aren't a lot of posts here, I can keep up because whenever there's actual new content it gets gold-panned out and ends up here...

Sucks what happened with the Image One thread and agree it's the cloud-staring of the rocks and the inability for so many new members to contextualize the likely parameters of the puzzle, going wayyyyyy too deep and complicated -- and also not taking into account the reality of what 1982 was like without using present day tech (which while sometimes helpful, often only adds more noise and confusion). Also, crazy people who don't understand basic message board etiquette, instead treating q4t like their personal facebook page.

It reminds me what you said about Burnstyle being the perfect secret key hunter because he's brutally literal with the clues. He framed this fact perfectly when on the last podcast he asked Kit Palancar if his dad (JJP) was good with math... the answer was a very clear no. That in itself absolutely invalidates every wack job vector-crazy math theory that's been trotted out. Also revealed in the last podcast: the fact that JJP photoshopped out certain images in some fo the original paintings for recreations in the Expedition Unknown episode. Pretty clear that the clues are right there in front of our faces, we just need to recognize them.

IMO, these puzzles are hard, but at the same time pretty literal if you can cut through the noise.

All that said, Q4t seemed to have settled down a little after a lot of the "I found it all ten casques in a week" posters gave up and disappeared.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 5, 2019

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
its on oak island somewhere.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

It reminds me what you said about Burnstyle being the perfect secret key hunter because he's brutally literal with the clues.

It's also because he has the balls to dig but the ability to talk to police (I assume, after all he's a firefighter and not a weirdo). A lot of people who dig aren't courageous, they're just crazy, so when police come they can't smooth things over.

There's a Roanoke poster on FB who made dozens of new low content threads (one simply declared "Let's take it verse by verse" with nothing else). He also thinks a "verse" is a line of a verse. He recently posted that he was in the Elizabethan Gardens and got kicked out by rangers even though he wasn't digging.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 5, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

3M TA3 posted:

Just got in trouble posting that. Sorry

But now I wanna know! :allears:

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Snowy posted:

But now I wanna know! :allears:

A guy that I know from Boston sent me a picture of a blue light that looks very much like the blue globes in image 11. The light is pretty old and he asked if I remembered or if I knew anyone who might remember other lights like that one around the city.
I posted the picture here and asked if any Bostonians might have memories of those lights. He got pissed and asked me to take it down. So I did. My bad for posting it without his permission.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I love people who get mad you "jump their claim." They honestly believe digging up some junk from 40 years ago that may or may not be worth ~$900 is the key to fame.

If someone tells you they are on their way to dig somewhere, or have been methodically digging a specific patch, yeah don't dig there. But otherwise, I just want to know the solution, whoever gets credit. I might as well email all 3000 searchers different blocks of SF until I've covered it all, then threaten people who propose any solution.

It's a blue globe, drat. I started to google it, then sighed and ran out of energy.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 5, 2019

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Drunk Nerds posted:

(I assume, after all he's a firefighter and not a weirdo). A lot of people who dig aren't courageous, they're just crazy, so when police come they can't smooth things over.

The badge helps.

I'm convinced a lot of the early solutions are correct... but no one dug them.

Instead of digging people kept looking for more clues elsewhere, which became more and more obscure, then convinced themselves the puzzle is more complicated than it is.

All because they wouldn't dig the first time.

The amount of long time and well respected searchers on q4t who have never put a shovel in the ground is staggering.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

I love people who get mad you "jump their claim." They honestly believe digging up some junk from 40 years ago that may or may not be worth ~$900 is the key to fame.

If someone tells you they are on their way to dig somewhere, or have been methodically digging a specific patch, yeah don't dig there. But otherwise, I just want to know the solution, whoever gets credit. I might as well email all 3000 searchers different blocks of SF until I've covered it all, then threaten people who propose any solution.

It's a blue globe, drat. I started to google it, then sighed and ran out of energy.

This guy is a no bullshit type of dude. He’s not one of the overly sensitive and secretive type. I have a feeling he is working with other people behind the scenes and those people weren’t interested in sharing the find. From its location he didn’t think the light that he found was related to the casque at all. He was more interested if there were others like it in the past and where they would have been.

Burnstyle, do fire departments keep records of emergency call box locations? Past and present?

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
It really depends on the city. Most do.

You should be able to find old GIS maps at the planning department, or public works, that has them listed.

I have a bunch of Boston people. If he will let you send it to me I can ask them.

burnstyle fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 5, 2019

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Who cares. Post the globe pic. Those treasures are long gone and will never be found.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Piggy Smalls posted:

Who cares. Post the globe pic. Those treasures are long gone and will never be found.

Oh, thanks for reminding me: For those new to Something Awful, the "rap sheet" button underneath each post can be quite entertaining. I know I've got some embarrassing gaffes on mine.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

burnstyle posted:

I have a bunch of Boston people. If he will let you send it to me I can ask them.

its prob the same group he is working with.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

3M TA3 posted:

its prob the same group he is working with.

Bingo and Strike? They seem to be the most trustworthy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

3M TA3 posted:

A guy that I know from Boston sent me a picture of a blue light that looks very much like the blue globes in image 11. The light is pretty old and he asked if I remembered or if I knew anyone who might remember other lights like that one around the city.
I posted the picture here and asked if any Bostonians might have memories of those lights. He got pissed and asked me to take it down. So I did. My bad for posting it without his permission.

Lmao, what a loving turbosperg.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lmao, what a loving turbosperg.

He gave me the green light. Here is your photo you loving sesquipedalian.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
That's pretty cool. Are there a lot of them?

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

That's pretty cool. Are there a lot of them?

That's the question of the moment. Only 1 has been found and an unsubstantiated rumor claims there were more.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
A lot of people on Facebook posting insanity, lately.

This verse 7 solver thinks that good authors don't repeat words at the start of sentences

Especially timely considering MLK day is Monday, and we all know he never used repetition of words to make a point.

This person thinks that Preiss didn't really mail a photo of the Chicago spot to the teenage solvers in 1980. He thinks that, instead, he flew out to Chicago upon hearing their solve, planted a casque where they were looking, then took a photo of that.

Critical thinking really needs to a class in schools.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Giant pole, you say? *points finger guns at dilz*

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
L sits and left
Beyond his shoulder
Is the fair folks’
Treasure holder

To the left and behind the Lincoln statue is the area the casque was buried. Narrows down the search area quite nicely. WTF is wrong with people?

Let’s all hope Wrobel and the gang can locate the second casque in Chicago. I’ll start working on the second Cleveland casque location now. Must be next door in the Italian garden.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm still stunned at "a good author/poet would never use the same word twice." There's so much to unpack:

- Repetition is apparently not a powerful literary tool
- Preiss' rambling, meterless verses are apparently "good"
- A good author never writes some crap to meet a deadline. Finnegan's Wake, anyone? Like 99.9% of my articles, anyone?

3M TA3 posted:

L sits and left
Beyond his shoulder
Is the fair folks’
Treasure holder

To the left and behind the Lincoln statue is the area the casque was buried. Narrows down the search area quite nicely. WTF is wrong with people?

Let’s all hope Wrobel and the gang can locate the second casque in Chicago. I’ll start working on the second Cleveland casque location now. Must be next door in the Italian garden.

I love how it all boils down to "I don't understand the solution, so rather than work to understand it I will assume some bizarre-rear end conspiracy theory"

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 17, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh dang, I forgot the best part. This is worth a double-post.

That "multiple cask in Chicago" poster preceded his theory by stating "I posted this last night, but got zero responses. I figured it was a slow time so I'm posting it again."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Someone should pin this thread and make 50 nonsensical posts at 3am just to watch people deflate or blood boil the next morning.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Someone should pin this thread and make 50 nonsensical posts at 3am just to watch people deflate or blood boil the next morning.

I don't think you've been following this thread. Half of it is curating nonsensical posts.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
I love multiple Chicago casque guy. Eye of the tiger right there. And water pump solution dude is pure satisfaction.

Re: two Giants -- I agree and disagree. Yeah, stupid argument that a good writer wouldn't use repetition. That said, dual use of Giant is interesting considering most think V7 is the San Francisco verse. I've heard worse. That's all I'm sayin'!

But man, what we need is Josh Cornellhole and Heroin Dale to join together in a supergroup hair band to solve this piece. That's a road movie I'd watch.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
For those who love Josh Cornell like I do, he has a new Facebook profile he's been trying to use to get into groups he's been banned from:
"Jizzo Forshizzo"

No joke. Watching him pretend to be someone else while talking up Josh Cornell is spectacular. Unfortunately it didn't last long and he was quickly banned again... I wonder what gave him away...

For you Redditers, he's also AnachroSyndicate there, and I have to give it to him... it's a much better handle... though nothing says "Jizzo" like a good Josh Cornell shitpost.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 17, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, that is amazing...
If he just made an alias and didn't constantly refer to JC as some genius solver, no one would notice or care. But his narcissism dooms him every time

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
He literally got called out in seconds by the nicest, most gentle group on The Secret I've seen. I hope someone from that page finds the next casque. The insanity in the other arenas is fun, and progress can be made through that process, but it's refreshing to see a group working in a mature, collaborative and patient way.

Who am I kidding, Preiss buried only two casques and is laughing from the grave as we search for the others.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 17, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What group is that? I like to hear about collab. I just left a really great group because a few people started down their own rabbit holds and hand-waved any attempt to refine their nuttiness

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

What group is that? I like to hear about collab. I just left a really great group because a few people started down their own rabbit holds and hand-waved any attempt to refine their nuttiness

The Secret: A Treasure Hunt -- A Place for Collaboration and Sharing Ideas....

(C'mon -- Even the name of the group is friendly!)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1363304690439464/

Listen, I'm not saying they are or are not on the cusp of digging a ceramic box in a plexiglass case from the ground. And there are folks who may be digging a little deep. But gotta give it up for the tone and tenor, which is respectful. It cuts through the negative noise which makes it a unique corner of the secret-verse. (Though burnstyle keeps a great handle on moderating his groups, too)

It's like finding a nice quiet study group in the corner of a library after being in this cage with you animals.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 17, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

I cast my lot with these folks. They seem to have things under control.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

The Secret: A Treasure Hunt -- A Place for Collaboration and Sharing Ideas....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1363304690439464/

I'm not allowed in that group because I am too negative and dont work well with others :/

Josh has got some crazy poo poo going on right now. He is honestly scared for his life because of the Secret. It's weird how the mind plays games on itself when it isnt healthy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

burnstyle posted:

I'm not allowed in that group because I am too negative and dont work well with others :/

Josh has got some crazy poo poo going on right now. He is honestly scared for his life because of the Secret. It's weird how the mind plays games on itself when it isnt healthy.

Lmfao, imagine being that hard of a sperg you insert yourself into a fake spy novel over this nerdy dead game.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

burnstyle posted:

That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of you -- you obstinate prick.

Man, that episode of Expedition Unknown was the best and worst thing to ever happen to him. It aired a year ago and the dude literally appeared out of thin air right after, immediately solved every location down to a foot and hasn't stopped reminding us about it since. It's Joshiversary!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

burnstyle posted:

Good, we're beyond the sculpting stage at this point, we're at the chiseling stage. Imo, being to gentle allowed the nutso spam-jobs to ruin Tweleve, then Q4t, then FB. SA might not have as many theories as the other sites, but at least we lambast people to cut out those that can't take criticism.

Also, my wife has a crazy guy stalking her because she beat him in court. He's been claiming that every robocall and spam he gets is orchestrated by her. Robocalls are annoying enough, I can't imagine how much suffering they must cause to people with paranoid mental illness.
(read more here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870830&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 18, 2019

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
No, no, no, dammit! “High posts are three” can only be Coit Tower because there are three antenna! There can be no other explanation!

*Burp*

Shameless fake promotion for Fort Point Beer Co. because they make a solid IPA (IMO).

*Burp*

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"is your area in the painting with triple reinforcement? no? wrong spot then bro" -- Josh "Anus 905" "Jizzo Forshizzo" Cornellhole

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
So Josh Cornell was finally able to critique Rob Wrobel on his achievement of being part of the team to find the first casque back in 1983. Throw in a touch of politics and it went exactly as you'd expect: