Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Are there any reports of the 100k MR offer still cropping up for Amex Plat?

I’d prefer that but if the likelihood of getting the offer is super low I’ll just for for the CSR/CSP double dip and deal with the $8k in minimum spend.

Other than checking your physical mail and amex prequalifications, you could try checking CardMatch if you haven't.

Do you already have an Amex card of any sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Nothing on CardMatch. I have the new Amex Gold I use for groceries and restaurants but I’ve been with Amex for like 18 years. I guess I can just call and ask.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Nothing on CardMatch. I have the new Amex Gold I use for groceries and restaurants but I’ve been with Amex for like 18 years. I guess I can just call and ask.

Having the gold (or any non-cobranded Amex card, maybe even some cobranded ones) means your chances of getting the 100k plat offer drop to just about zero. At that point you're relying on CardMatch or making dubious misspellings of your name or address on Amex's prequalify tool.

I wouldn't bother calling.

Sidenote: There have been reports of people able to call in and get the Business Plat 100k points for $10k spend offer, but that's separate and distinct.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Question, has anyone in the history of the CSR called the 800 number and successfully asked for an annual fee waiver / discount?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Something Offal posted:

Question, has anyone in the history of the CSR called the 800 number and successfully asked for an annual fee waiver / discount?

There's a thread on flyertalk that lists this for just about every card. I believe the answer is no for CSR, but you can double check.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

I’d prefer [...] I’ll just for for the CSR/CSP double dip and deal with the $8k in minimum spend.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance

Important to read the comments and take into account how old the data may be, also a good idea to set your cash advance limit to $0 if possible. I've used this method to meet minimum spending requirements, though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Are there any reports of the 100k MR offer still cropping up for Amex Plat?

I’d prefer that but if the likelihood of getting the offer is super low I’ll just for for the CSR/CSP double dip and deal with the $8k in minimum spend.

You can't get both those bonuses anymore. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/official-chase-updates-terms-indicate-sapphire-family-limitation/

And the 24 month limitation on the Sapphire family bonus was increased to 48 months as well.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

THF13 posted:

You can't get both those bonuses anymore. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/official-chase-updates-terms-indicate-sapphire-family-limitation/

And the 24 month limitation on the Sapphire family bonus was increased to 48 months as well.

I don’t have any Chase cards so I’m set there. There’s been discussions on r/churning about the modified double dip to get both cards still working. Basically you apply for both on separate days but within 24 hours of one another. Still working as of this week.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

God drat r/churning is full of animals. Depraved animals determined to suck every last dime from the banks. God bless.

It's disappointing that Chase increased the CSR bonus period to 48 months. I got it at the end of 2016 with the 100k point sign up bonus. That was back when they did the travel reimbursement by calendar year so I was able to hit that twice with just one annual fee. I really slowed down on churning after that because other than the southwest companion pass there really wasn't anything that came close to the return you could get with the CSR bonuses.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Asleep Style posted:

God drat r/churning is full of animals. Depraved animals determined to suck every last dime from the banks. God bless.

Only returning the favor in kind. Damned shame the banks are starting to catch on.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Regarding the Schwab account that I just opened, does anyone know if you have to fund the account with a certain amount in order to get the referral bonus? I searched around and saw references to both $1,000 and $10,000, but don't see either of those mentioned in the terms at the bottom of the page.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I just got the referral bonus last week with $5 in checking and nothing in the brokerage account.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm looking for a cc or three to open this year. I have a 2% card, I have a chase freedom, and I have a boa card (+platinum or whatever the highest tier is at BoA).

My wife and I might finally travel and I have around 80k chase points but no travel card with them yet. I'm not too up to date on the current offers. I don't think CSR is worth it for me normally, but I could probably go for it and downgrade if that still works. Most of my travelling is "let's drive 2-5 hours and go wander around in the woods or spend some time doing nothing".

I don't have a discover IT yet and that still seems alright with referral if they have decent categories. Chase Ink Preferred seems alright. What else is out there?

Asleep Style posted:

Their Q&A on how to pay your taxes with a credit card made me chuckle. It even recommends intentionally overpaying so the IRS will refund your money and you'll still get your precious manufactured spend.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 8, 2019

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Khorne posted:

I'm looking for a cc or three to open this year. I have a 2% card, I have a chase freedom, and I have a boa card (+platinum or whatever the highest tier is at BoA).

My wife and I might finally travel and I have around 80k chase points but no travel card with them yet. I'm not too up to date on the current offers. I don't think CSR is worth it for me normally, but I could probably go for it and downgrade if that still works. Most of my travelling is "let's drive 2-5 hours and go wander around in the woods or spend some time doing nothing".

I don't have a discover IT yet and that still seems alright with referral if they have decent categories. Chase Ink Preferred seems alright. What else is out there?
Their Q&A on how to pay your taxes with a credit card made me chuckle. It even recommends intentionally overpaying so the IRS will refund your money and you'll still get your precious manufactured spend.

Get the CSR, combine the 50,000 sign bonus with your existing points, your points are now worth $1,950 when used at the CSR travel portal (Expedia.) Use them all up for a nice trip or two. Make sure you use all the other CSR perks like the $300 travel credit (Uber/Lyft counts for that, or just plane tickets or car rentals). Downgrade or cancel the card before the next annual fee hits.

You can also churn the Chase Ink Preferred for an awesome 80k points, then downgrade it to the regular Ink card with no AF

Animal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 8, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Ducks Unlimited has a 5% gas and sporting goods Visa card issued by First National Bank of Omaha / First Bank card which would be worth getting.

Uber's Visa is nice and versatile, 4% dining (including fast food), 3% hotel and airfare (including Airbnb), 2% online purchases.

Discover IT is currently 5% grocery, gas will be April - June, restaurants July - September, and then the usual Amazon. Cashback Match first year of course. I like Discover because you can call up and ask for promotions every other year or so, I currently have 0% APR and am just sticking what's due in a bank account to grow at 3% until I need to pay it off at the end of the year. I use balance transfer cards periodically to do the same thing.

US Bank's Cash+ card let's you pick two 5% and a 3% category, so look to see if any of those work for you.

If you have Prime and do a lot of shopping on Amazon, their Prime card will net you 5% year round, but if you don't have Prime otherwise it's probably not worth getting just for the card if you won't shop there enough to basically pay for your membership from what you save plus the 2% you'd get from your other card already. Would need to be a little over $1700/yr if you apply no value to 2-day shipping and their other services like video and Twitch.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Asleep Style posted:

Everytime I go to that subreddit I realize it's populated by a universe of people with a compulsive sickness and an absurd level of tolerance for minutiae. Like, I don't even think it nets more than a few hundred dollars a month unless you're going off the rails with manufactured spend (and then getting fraud-flagged by all of your merchants).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Khorne posted:

Discover it has a nice referral bonus, I think it's a hundred bucks for both parties.

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Re: the Amazon card.

You can just activate Prime those months you know you’re going to be buying a lot of stuff, the rest of the year it still gives 3% so you don’t really miss out on much.

Plus Amazon will once a year give you a new 30 day free trial of Prime, even if you were an existing customer.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Discover it has a nice referral bonus, I think it's a hundred bucks for both parties.

$50 to each, nowadays in the form of a statement credit.

Back when it was $50 cashback bonus, it used to double if you were in the first year to $100. Then, someone realized they didn't have to give out as much free money.

Honestly, apart from the 5% categories/first-year cashback match and the fact that if you need something they have US-based customer service, I've been somewhat disappointed with Discover lately. In 2018 they removed price protection, purchase protection, return guarantee, extended warranty, etc.

If you never used those or thought you might, that's fine, but I always appreciated the peace of mind that came from extended warranty, and price protection has recovered quite a bit of money for me.

Consequently, I only use it now when it's a 5% category and a non-major purchase that won't go down in price (or wouldn't be eligible).

If you're still in your first year with cashback match, the 10% categories at least make it a bit better value proposition (and the 2% everywhere else, if you don't have a proper 2% card).

astral fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 8, 2019

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Anyone have a no lifetime language referral to spare for Amex Gold? PM me if you do, thanks!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

FYI. Amazon is giving you $30 off any order of $60 when applying any Amex MR points to the payment method, even 1 point.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amazon-30-off-60-when-using-mr-points-works-on-gift-cards-targeted/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TheEye posted:

Regarding the Schwab account that I just opened, does anyone know if you have to fund the account with a certain amount in order to get the referral bonus? I searched around and saw references to both $1,000 and $10,000, but don't see either of those mentioned in the terms at the bottom of the page.

Schwab recently removed all minimum opening requirements. In addition there was never a minimum for the bonus.

Unfortunately they have removed the generic offer code and you must now be given a unique code by a current client.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
We don’t travel very much, so points don’t make much sense for us. We like to keep things pretty simple — we’re not compelled to maximize possible reward.

Given those statements, sounds like the quicksilver is the best cash back card with no foreign transaction fees. Sound right?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

crestfallen posted:

We don’t travel very much, so points don’t make much sense for us. We like to keep things pretty simple — we’re not compelled to maximize possible reward.

Given those statements, sounds like the quicksilver is the best cash back card with no foreign transaction fees. Sound right?

If you don’t travel much what’s the point of no foreign transaction fees?

Also did everyone see the free companion pass from the Southwest card? Too late for me since I for some reason have it already.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

StormDrain posted:

If you don’t travel much what’s the point of no foreign transaction fees?
Great question, thank you. The lady buys stuff from merchants in other countries pretty regularly.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Also did everyone see the free companion pass from the Southwest card? Too late for me since I for some reason have it already.
It's about half as good as a normal companion pass: it expires at the end of 2019 instead of the normal behavior where it's the rest of the current year and all of the next year. I've been coasting on Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited for a while, but I just got approved for the business Southwest card for my brand new sole proprietorship side business and will be going for a 2019 / 2020 companion pass.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

crestfallen posted:

If you're just going to be putting all your spend onto 1 card Alliant's 2.5% cashback card is probably better. Extra 1% in rewards but has a $59 annual fee. Makes sense if you are spending more than $5,900 a year on it.
Another card to consider is Barclay's Uber card if you eat out frequently.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

For whoever was asking Amex is still sending out targeted 100k MR platinum offers. My wife just got one in the mail. 5k spend in 3 months 550 annual membership fee

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

skipdogg posted:

For whoever was asking Amex is still sending out targeted 100k MR platinum offers. My wife just got one in the mail. 5k spend in 3 months 550 annual membership fee

That’s the one I want. Not sure I qualify with a Gold already but I’d take one for my wife as well.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I can’t ever get that Plat promo but I’ve also been an Amex cardholder for a decade so it’s not like I qualify for any winback campaigns.

For those who can’t get it, Arrival+ has 70K points and AF waived for a $5k spend.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What’s the best use of MR points? I have like 35k and no idea what to do with them. I was going to transfer them to JetBlue maybe as we sometimes fly JB out of Austin.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Is the uber visa still top dog on restaurant + online purchase spend?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you just wanted one card, I'd say yes, go with Uber.

BofA cash rewards, now allows you to select a 3% category, one of which is online spending.

Vantage West allows you to select a 5% category, one of which is restaurants, $1500 per quarter only, and I've heard a lot of bad experiences with rewards not posting so I'm avoiding them for now.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
UGH, I just missed the minimum spend on my new AA card by $15. I missed out on 55k miles. I feel ill.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

UGH, I just missed the minimum spend on my new AA card by $15. I missed out on 55k miles. I feel ill.

If you're only at the 90-day mark, banks often actually give you a bit longer than 90 days so if you have something pending or charged ASAP it might still count. Chat with a rep to be sure!

edit: If the policy hasn't changed at Citi, it's a 14-day grace period to account for how it takes ages for them to ship you your card for a new account.

astral fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 15, 2019

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

astral posted:

If you're only at the 90-day mark, banks often actually give you a bit longer than 90 days so if you have something pending or charged ASAP it might still count. Chat with a rep to be sure!

I talked to Citi, they hold the line on the sign-up bonus deadline. I tried every trick, the lady would not budge. She said they wouldn't even do it for $1.

This dumb mistake after I was going to hit the minimum spend by buying passes to Disneyland and they raised ticket prices the day before we were going to go and decided against it for now. This feels like a double whammy. Ugh.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

I talked to Citi, they hold the line on the sign-up bonus deadline. I tried every trick, the lady would not budge. She said they wouldn't even do it for $1.

This dumb mistake after I was going to hit the minimum spend by buying passes to Disneyland and they raised ticket prices the day before we were going to go and decided against it for now. This feels like a double whammy. Ugh.

Citi's reps, much like their IT department, are often pretty clueless. Does the AA card have a bonus tracker if you click on "View miles summary" at the Citi site? Have you spent the additional $15 or more already?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Citi supposedly has a 14 day grace period. Citi specifically (but from 2015) https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-offers-14-day-grace-period-for-signup-bonuses/

And other banks policies. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/how-long-do-i-have-to-reach-my-minimum-spend-requirement/

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

astral posted:

Citi's reps, much like their IT department, are often pretty clueless. Does the AA card have a bonus tracker if you click on "View miles summary" at the Citi site? Have you spent the additional $15 or more already?

No bonus tracker, and I put the spend on the wrong card. Totally 100% my fault. It was a boneheaded, dumb mistake but I am back again trying to sweet-talk my way into my points. For $15 out of $4000, why not try?! Fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

No bonus tracker, and I put the spend on the wrong card. Totally 100% my fault. It was a boneheaded, dumb mistake but I am back again trying to sweet-talk my way into my points. For $15 out of $4000, why not try?! Fingers crossed!

Yeah, just make sure to spend that $15 (preferably a bit more) asap if you're still within the 14 days.