Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, my match this week is at 11pm. Just loving close the batting cages and open a third field, or just book less teams you greedy pricks, it's a Thursday night league ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This is pathetic sounding as a 32 year old playing in a weight loss league but, is there a cheap way I could video record my goalkeeping? Would just like to see where I can improve as I have shaken the rust off but tonight we won 4-2 and for all the good saves I made I really should've done better with both goals. We play on a purpose built fenced in 3G pitch, could I just tie a knock off GoPro to the fence behind the goal?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
yes thats what i did. mine was 40 quid and you can clip it right on to the fence. just amke sure you dont use it to receord sex too then leave it at the pitch one day!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm married so that wont be a problem :rimshot:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Had last organized game of the year last weekend and honestly I'm pretty happy about it. Been pretty broke and playing at about 80% for the last month. Pretty much feel like I let my team down in the last game we fought back from down 0-2 to 3-2 with 5 minutes left and we conceded a couple minutes later. I really should have thrown myself in front of this guy's shot and I'm just a step slow and kinda flinchy due to all the injuries I've been having and the ball got through into the net.

I gotta take a month off before I get back into the pickup games again and just let everything heal fully. I'm gonna get back down to 180lbs in the off season and go beast mode next year.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Been playing on a Sat night 11v11 coed team for 4 years. League announced this was the last season due to lack of participation

It was rough some seasons considering how terrible we were but it was the most fun I've had from a social aspect. Going to miss it

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I'm playing football tomorrow, should be fun

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm in a Tuesday and Thursday league now, one on a large, borderless indoor field, which is a nice change of pace.

Stuck my leg out to shield the ball last night and took a clearance kick to the side of my shin, had a nice knot in it all day.

I understand why all these pros get deep tissue massages constantly. Felt like if I just had a dang masseuse they could work it out.

Instead, I limped.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anyone got a good fix for soft tissue damage to the top of the foot? I've been resting and icing it but it's still sore af and the season will be starting soon. I've had it x-rayed and there's no fracture which is nice.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

iajanus posted:

Anyone got a good fix for soft tissue damage to the top of the foot? I've been resting and icing it but it's still sore af and the season will be starting soon. I've had it x-rayed and there's no fracture which is nice.

Which bit of the foot? Heaps of the foot is just tendons and other easily hurt bullshit.

I've also done my unfixable-without-surgical-intervention meniscus if anyone knows any voodoo fixing bullshit, preseason has started and I hate it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tongues posted:

I've also done my unfixable-without-surgical-intervention meniscus if anyone knows any voodoo fixing bullshit, preseason has started and I hate it

Meniscus injuries suck rear end m8, sorry. I'm about 6 months post recovery from my debridement surgery, and every doctor I've seen since is basically screaming at me to stop playing, and tbh I can't blame them. Recovery from the surgery was rougher than recovery on an ACL tear, and running makes my whole knee ache for at least a few days after. Hope yours isn't as hosed as mine is, but at least know that if you're as stupid and stubborn as me and play through any issues post recovery, it def won't impact your ability to kick cunts and sometimes score worldies

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Meniscus injuries suck rear end m8, sorry. I'm about 6 months post recovery from my debridement surgery, and every doctor I've seen since is basically screaming at me to stop playing, and tbh I can't blame them. Recovery from the surgery was rougher than recovery on an ACL tear, and running makes my whole knee ache for at least a few days after. Hope yours isn't as hosed as mine is, but at least know that if you're as stupid and stubborn as me and play through any issues post recovery, it def won't impact your ability to kick cunts and sometimes score worldies

loving noooooo

I'm definitely a stubborn oval office, but if I can't play what the gently caress do you do? I hate coaching because it gives me the most insane white line fever, gently caress gently caress gently caress

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

don't get me wrong, I still play twice a week, i just definitely shouldnt and every so often i need to take a couple of weeks off to ice it non-stop

e. get yourself on the public wait list for surgery, it took like 3 weeks for mine to get done once i was on the wait list ftw

double e. i'm happy to send ya some details about it and the surgery and all the vic public health system poo poo via pm or whatever if you have specific questions about it all

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 5, 2019

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm in a Tuesday and Thursday league now, one on a large, borderless indoor field, which is a nice change of pace.

Stuck my leg out to shield the ball last night and took a clearance kick to the side of my shin, had a nice knot in it all day.

I understand why all these pros get deep tissue massages constantly. Felt like if I just had a dang masseuse they could work it out.

Instead, I limped.

I read somewhere that massage has no proven beenfit in recovery but players like it so keep getting them anyway

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

don't get me wrong, I still play twice a week, i just definitely shouldnt and every so often i need to take a couple of weeks off to ice it non-stop

e. get yourself on the public wait list for surgery, it took like 3 weeks for mine to get done once i was on the wait list ftw

double e. i'm happy to send ya some details about it and the surgery and all the vic public health system poo poo via pm or whatever if you have specific questions about it all

I appreciate the encouragement - I work for the public hospital in Geelong, but I've never had the surgery. I'm getting scans in the next couple of weeks to see what's happening, I fell of a snowboard about 6 months ago and have been playing through pain ever since. I'll keep you posted as to what the scan says

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

If you're still playing, its no where near as bad as mine was. My knee was fully locked, I couldn't straighten it beyond like 30 degrees cos the meniscus was trapped in the joint. A small tear is way quicker to recover from and much less likely to cause long term trouble, but just make sure you don't do any more damage to it in the meantime. I reckon I tore mine about 18 months before it tore again and locked in the knee, and had I got the surgery on the original tear I would have been way better off

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tongues posted:

Which bit of the foot? Heaps of the foot is just tendons and other easily hurt bullshit.

Kind of the middle of the top of it. Dead centre if I'm looking straight down at it. I'm pretty much in a regimen of ice, rest and Voltaren.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

I read somewhere that massage has no proven beenfit in recovery but players like it so keep getting them anyway

I’ve crashed on bikes before and the deep tissue massage has definitely helped to get rid of the adhesions, I imagine it’d work when you get kicked constantly for 90 minutes

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

You're thinking of the Drip Doctors

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

You're thinking of the Drip Doctors

It helps to relieve built up fluids

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Wish I could force my teams to practice Rondos. So many of them have the technique to pass/receive the ball but their decision-making is just sooo slow.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you brought it up? If you make sure they're all stretched early and get right into it, you could probably get a few minutes in before a game.

I have the same issue with a couple teammates, they have solid footwork but they dabble on the ball and drag it back too much instead of just moving it

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
gently caress I reckon every side I've ever played for ends up doing rondos as a stop gap at the drop of a hat. Coach putting out cones? Rondos. Referee a few minutes late out of the dresser before kick off? Rondos. Coach we lose every match 1 nil despite ludicrous possession because our forwards have all the potency of a wet sponge! Rondos

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We're old and pub-quality so in all those situations the answer is "poo poo-talk and drill shots at the keeper"

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
my team has lost all their games this season how can i make them more aggressive?????

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

my team has lost all their games this season how can i make them more aggressive?????

Meth

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

Play hungover.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
another bruising encounter tonight that saw an opposition player sent to the sin bin with a minute to go. anyone know any good tactics to use from the kick off? we oncede a lot that way

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Don't think there are any tactics for that, my friend. You just have to tell your team mates to not be asleep at the wheel.

Maybe a more rigorous warm up or something to get them in the mood.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
This is pretty much it. If your team is getting run through in the first minute or so of the match that's 100% due to being switched off.

If you can get a warm up drill that's a bit more intense, you can eliminate the easy early goals pretty quickly. Try getting a couple of small sided possession drills going but really emphasise that players need to be doing it at match pace, not warm-up pace.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I play on two teams at my indoor place.

One team is terrible, can't hold on to the ball, can't pass but players rarely show up so I can play the entire game.

My other team is amazing, can pass, dribble, score, but players never sub out so I don't get much playing time.

:chaostrump:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We had this kid on my Tuesday team that was a dick about subbing. One match he was on for like two full shifts (we aren't formal, but I subbed off, on, and off again before he subbed) so when I was coming off I told him to take a break and he told me to gently caress off lol

He clearly had ability, but insisted on picking up the ball from defense and attempting to dribble through everyone, losing it, then getting mad.

Also yelled when people didn't pass to him.

Fortunately he's not playing with us this session. But I wonder what it's like being that selfish

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Yeah, that kid's just a dick.

I always call out people to sub when they've been in too long. Gotta make a stand at some point.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Put a reasonable person in charge. It fixes many things. It seems weird to young people and in casual leagues, but it's most important with young people and it's most important in casual leagues.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Tongues posted:

This is pretty much it. If your team is getting run through in the first minute or so of the match that's 100% due to being switched off.

If you can get a warm up drill that's a bit more intense, you can eliminate the easy early goals pretty quickly. Try getting a couple of small sided possession drills going but really emphasise that players need to be doing it at match pace, not warm-up pace.

interesting, thnks tongues. what happens every week is this. we play on one of those walled pitches so no throwins or corners or goal kicks and there's no head height rule or anything. you just cant go in the D or pass it straight back to the keeper if hes passed it to you. the goals are those low wide 5aside ones. . . we play for 40 mins so 20 mins a half.. we generally go a couple of goals behind then draw level. we nornally go into the break 2 or 3 goals down. things are typicllay quit close then have a crazy couple of minutes where we concede like 5 sloppy goals with the last man being dispossessed or a pass across the area thats seized on or most likely of all from a restart the ball will be played back and the oppo just close in on the hapless man and another goal is given away. we're all really quiet and never foul people. we are a right bunch of doormats! but capable of playing some nice triangles sometimes. so perhaps we will look into formations (2 up 2 back, or a diamond). can anyone help? i think its mostly mental tbh

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Breath Ray posted:

interesting, thnks tongues. what happens every week is this. we play on one of those walled pitches so no throwins or corners or goal kicks and there's no head height rule or anything. you just cant go in the D or pass it straight back to the keeper if hes passed it to you. the goals are those low wide 5aside ones. . . we play for 40 mins so 20 mins a half.. we generally go a couple of goals behind then draw level. we nornally go into the break 2 or 3 goals down. things are typicllay quit close then have a crazy couple of minutes where we concede like 5 sloppy goals with the last man being dispossessed or a pass across the area thats seized on or most likely of all from a restart the ball will be played back and the oppo just close in on the hapless man and another goal is given away. we're all really quiet and never foul people. we are a right bunch of doormats! but capable of playing some nice triangles sometimes. so perhaps we will look into formations (2 up 2 back, or a diamond). can anyone help? i think its mostly mental tbh

Ah I know that one! We've got a big indoor sports arena around me where they play that with essentially giant tennis balls. It's the best.

If you're playing 5-a-side, you want one central defender to stand in front of the keeper, and a winger on either side to shuttle back and forth to help in defense and attack. You have your last player to be either in central midfield directly ahead of your central defender (when defending) or running into the opposite-side-of-the-goal-to-the-winger-who-has-the-ball, and your central defender moves up into the centre midfield.

If you have 6, 7, and 9 players add one to your defenders, to your midfield, and to your wingers respectively ( you now have a back three and a midfield three etc.). There are loads of things you can do, even if you're up against a much better side. Trying to get through a stubborn defence is hard enough on a full sided pitch and stupidly difficult on a smaller one.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Nobody likes this advice but playing the ball in nice triangles in your own half isn’t worth the risk if you are turning it over there with any consistency. On hockey style fields especially don’t hesitate to just play hopeful but safe stuff into the other team’s half, get some ugly goals, give them a chance to gently caress up etc

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

pangstrom posted:

Nobody likes this advice but playing the ball in nice triangles in your own half isn’t worth the risk if you are turning it over there with any consistency. On hockey style fields especially don’t hesitate to just play hopeful but safe stuff into the other team’s half, get some ugly goals, give them a chance to gently caress up etc

This.

I don't care to play on those indoor fields, but if you have to this is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

If you're getting overrun and conceding sloppy goals, get two lads to just sit back and defend, and play longer balls into space for the other two to chase for a couple of minutes. Especially if you've got walls, then you can just drill clearances upfield and start scrapping for rebounds while the team sits back

Formation-wise I've found a tilted diamond is the most flexible, with 1 always up front as a pivot, one always back as a defender, and then the lads on the wings staggered so one has more defensive duties and one more offensive. It all depends on how good the lad up front is at holding it up though, if he can't do that then just play 2 up and 2 back