Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The big brain thing was obviously taking the piss out of JFairfax's inane comment good lord

JFairfax posted:

yeah but this presents a problem, like calling them racist doesn't help,

yeah no poo poo figure that one for yourself maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

The big brain thing was obviously taking the piss out of JFairfax's inane comment good lord

yeah no poo poo figure that one for yourself maybe

if you think yelling 'you're racist' at people will stop brexit than you have a serious case of the FBPEs

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

JFairfax posted:

if you think yelling 'you're racist' at people will stop brexit than you have a serious case of the FBPEs

Punching them helps though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hexyflexy posted:

Punching them helps though.

sure does, but won't stop brexit

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

JFairfax posted:

sure does, but won't stop brexit
ye of little faith.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1081232542311870464

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Looking forward to Neo-Dickens and his work.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

calling 2019 London riots now

e: vive

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Almost 1,000 police officers from England and Scotland are to begin training for deployment in Northern Ireland in case of disorder from a no-deal Brexit, the Guardian has learned.

The plans were put in place after Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) chiefs asked for reinforcements to deal with any trouble that arises from a hard border. The training for officers from English forces and Police Scotland is expected to begin this month.

lol good luck to them.

The British border in Ireland is porous as gently caress. There's at least 300 road crossings that will need to be patrolled, and countless unofficial crossings. Hell, there's one stretch on a major route between the UK and Ireland that crosses the border 5 times in a 10km stretch. Tens of thousands of people commute across the border every day, from going to work, to nipping across the street for a pint of milk, since the border runs right through many communities.

NI is a weird place. With all the focus on the DUP right now, a lot of people think it's an enclave of ultra-Britishness. But it isn't - the majority of NI voted to remain and since the Good Friday Agreement it's been almost a buffer between the UK and Ireland where both governments have a role.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
imagine wanting a return to this

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Any good long reads on the state of brexit? We're two and a half months away from Britain killing itself and probably the world economy but no one seems to know what's going on, or they don't care

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

We're two and a half months away from Britain killing itself and probably the world economy but no one seems to know what's going on

this is the only summary you need

twoday
May 4, 2005

Who actually trades solely under WTO rules?

A good short article from 2017 determining which countries trade exclusively under WTO rules besides the U.K. soon. Short and sweet.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The UK is going to come to resemble the tensions of modern Iraq.
With the Shia Arabs = English
Sunni Arabs = Northern Ireland
Kurds = Scottish

The Welsh would be Bedouins or something i dunno.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

we need to keep wall street contained and understanding of how they are lower than loving dirt

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Brexiteer: We'll still have lots of food, just not what those dirty Europeans call food. Back to good old fashioned English gruel for us.

Well when I say us, I mean all of you. I'll just move to Italy, I love their food and they're still in the EU so I can get my medicine.

gently caress you, got mine.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Used to be I'd send old jeeves down the asda for a few bottles of something bubbly and a bit of nosh if we ran low at a party or something but these days I've got to have my own stuff flown in from across the channel and kept under lock and key for goodness sake. oohhh no I can't say this brexit has been easy on any of us. Ah well, off you go then

-lord fountelroy xix condemning 139 to hanging for buying medicine on the blackmarket, June 23 2020

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Grocery stores here barely have any fresh food in them now, can't want to see them post brexit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
asda is owned by walmart

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Seems your country really is hosed, huh? I'd say I'm surprised they'd let it go this far, but from what I've gathered so far about the Tories, I probably shouldn't be.

Anyway, my sister is studying abroad in Scotland this year, is there anything on how a no-deal Brexit might impact exchange students?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It might bankrupt unis lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

oliwan posted:

Literal pro Brexit politicians: "We won’t be able to get certain foods like bananas or tomatoes but it’s not like we won’t be able to eat. There will be adequate food."

Turnips time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oliwan posted:

Literal pro Brexit politicians: "We won’t be able to get certain foods like bananas or tomatoes but it’s not like we won’t be able to eat. There will be adequate food."

The best part is it's not even true. We're a net food importer. About 50% of our food is from Britain, 30% from the EU & then the rest. And that doesn't account for all the crops that are picked by seasonal workers from the continent. lol We're so hosed.

Not enough grains, not enough meat, not enough veg, not enough fruit, not enough fish.

Oh and prices will have to go up because so much of our are farmers are subsidised by the Common Agricultural Policy subsidies.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Used to be I'd send old jeeves down the asda for a few bottles of something bubbly and a bit of nosh if we ran low at a party or something but these days I've got to have my own stuff flown in from across the channel and kept under lock and key for goodness sake. oohhh no I can't say this brexit has been easy on any of us. Ah well, off you go then

gahh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

The best part is it's not even true. We're a net food importer. About 50% of our food is from Britain, 30% from the EU & then the rest. And that doesn't account for all the crops that are picked by seasonal workers from the continent. lol We're so hosed.

Not enough grains, not enough meat, not enough veg, not enough fruit, not enough fish.

Oh and prices will have to go up because so much of our are farmers are subsidised by the Common Agricultural Policy subsidies.

It will hopefully be back to hilarious of rationing and ersatz recipes you saw during the WWII era.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umRF1D3OsUc

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

etalian posted:

It will hopefully be back to hilarious of rationing and ersatz recipes you saw during the WWII era.

can't wait to make fake coffee out of wheat berries and acorns

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

forkboy84 posted:

not enough meat
idk there's quite a lot of cats, horses, dogs, rats etc knocking around

and thats before you even get started on the long pork

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Relevant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYgB3ycXkd4

twoday
May 4, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Acorns used to be a key part of the diet of the ancient stone age hunter-gatherers of Britain. In certain seasons they would migrate to areas with lots of acorns, harvest the ripe ones, pound them with giant mortars into a meal, boil them to remove the toxic quantity of tannins, and then roast them into a sort of dry mealy cake that could that could be carried with them and stored through difficult parts of the winter.

And soon it shall be so once again.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

On the bright side I'm pretty sure that access to fishing in British waters is more permissive under EU rules than it would be after you build the Brexit wall. Then, if you just emergency slaughter all the live stock, you can probably feed the whole of Britain on fish soup and horse feed.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

twoday posted:

Acorns used to be a key part of the diet of the ancient stone age hunter-gatherers of Britain. In certain seasons they would migrate to areas with lots of acorns, harvest the ripe ones, pound them with giant mortars into a meal, boil them to remove the toxic quantity of tannins, and then roast them into a sort of dry mealy cake that could that could be carried with them and stored through difficult parts of the winter.

And soon it shall be so once again.

make doggerland great again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it owns how many of the tories have now convinced themselves no deal will be fine and not catastrophically bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeStuchbery_/status/1081545304908984320

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im one of those cucks whos all "harumph more meat for me!" but drat if i don't want to try a vegan sausage roll atm

twoday
May 4, 2005

genericnick posted:

On the bright side I'm pretty sure that access to fishing in British waters is more permissive under EU rules than it would be after you build the Brexit wall. Then, if you just emergency slaughter all the live stock, you can probably feed the whole of Britain on fish soup and horse feed.

The UK exports much of the fish caught in its own waters, such as herring, saithe, hake, and sprats. In contrast, the majority of cod, haddock, salmon, tuna, and other fish that British people eat must be imported. After Brexit, it is predicted that the British market will become flooded with cheap unwanted fish from British waters, driving down the profitability of fishing in the UK severely. At the same time, price for the desired foreign fish will go up just as severely if the British white fish fleet doesn't have access to foreign waters. In any case, it seems that the UK will be the more desperate party at the negotiating table of the global market when this is all on the table for discussion in 2020, and British fisherman are worried that even more fishing rights in the UK are going to be traded away then, in addition to the fishing industry generally taking a punch to the face.

a long article about fishing after Brexit from the Scottish perspective

twoday
May 4, 2005

Let them eat sprats

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

twoday posted:

Let them eat sprats

Let then eat prats.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
We will have to eat the rich. What a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

Do what is necessary to preserve the proud English culture of being white, eating boiled cabbage, and yelling slurs.