Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Got three bottles of wine for new year's eve only to find out my brother in law isn't gonna show up this year. That means I'm the only one here that'll drink more than a glass.

Here goes the first:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Round two:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I thought it was a pounder because you pound them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

I thought it was a pounder because you pound them

that was my first assumption, that they were like those small sized coke cans but went for :thejoke: instead

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
On to number three:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i went to a champagne brunch buffet a few weeks ago and a couple of my friends got extremely drunk. i was just regular drunk after a couple mimosas and a bunch of champagne

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Captain Foo posted:

beer can pounders are the perfect example of why u.s. measurements are insanely bad

16 ounces = 1 pound
the beer is 16 fluid ounces
therefore, the beer is referred to as a pounder

except that fluid ounces measure volume and ounces measure weight and so are not equivalent at all

anyway, i'm currently drinking a 22 fl oz beer, referred to as a bomber, because ???

For any purpose where you don't need to be exact, 1 oz of water (or beer) weighs pretty drat close to 1 oz though, so 16 oz of beer is only about 5% away from actually weighing a pound (not including the can).

I did assume the name came from just pounding beers into your face though.

Edit: and I'm not trying to defend our stupid as gently caress measurement system, just that this is one time when it is close enough to be workable.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 31, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In Dutch a colloquial name for 500 gram is a pound, and 16oz is near enough 500ml so I figured from that context.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

A customary fluid ounce of water weighs slightly more than 1 oz., but converting from volume to weight is a simple process.

Enter the value in fluid ounces into the calculator. Check the calculator display to make sure you entered it correctly.

Multiply by 1.043, the weight of 1 fluid oz. of pure water. The result is the weight of the water.

Check for errors. Divide the result from Step 2 by 1.043. If the result does not equal the value obtained in Step 2, an error occurred. Repeat the calculations until the results match.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i failed the stymie challenge of maintaining sobriety over the holiday season, however i paid the price today with an apocalyptic hangover and have sworn never to touch the demon drink again

otoh wastefulness is a sin so i don't know what to do with the 60l of homebrew and 20l of country wine sat in my cupboard now

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

barter for goods and services, sell, moderate consumption

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
use them to water a plant

that way they do not go to waste and are disposed of properly

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
plants do not generally enjoy alcohol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
edit: upon review, it would not be wise to use them for watering, in conclusion simply dispose of them normally as any other application would be harmful

Stymie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 1, 2019

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

i failed the stymie challenge of maintaining sobriety over the holiday season, however i paid the price today with an apocalyptic hangover and have sworn never to touch the demon drink again

otoh wastefulness is a sin so i don't know what to do with the 60l of homebrew and 20l of country wine sat in my cupboard now

send it to me mate

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i am concerned about the environmental effects of pouring poisons down the drain and i can't in good conscience inflict it on anyone else, so i have decided to filter the remaining alcohol with my kidneys and dispose of it ethically as piss

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
goonspeed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
hot toddy for my cold

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

i am concerned about the environmental effects of pouring poisons down the drain and i can't in good conscience inflict it on anyone else, so i have decided to filter the remaining alcohol with my kidneys and dispose of it ethically as piss

semper fidelis

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

it can be hard to face yourself when you relapse, but it's not the end of the world

you can start again and focus on what being sober will do for you and those you love, develop new techniques to anticipate and avoid the temptation to drink and move forward with renewed resolve

be honest with yourself and those around you who may be enabling your relapse, and reach out to those who are genuinely willing to help

you can do it, and you are worth it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
staying sober is a great way to remember why you were drinking

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
every time I read a stymie post I am induced to drink so really you have to wonder if he’s helping at all

Lyon fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 3, 2019

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
it is because drinking is good

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
stymie is always there for us and always provides supportive, non-judgemental advice. stymie is a good netizen

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
drinking is good though and you should do some

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
everyone should enjoy life and that includes enjoying the wonderful intoxicants we’ve come up with, as long as it’s in reasonable moderation

do not engage a stymie

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
my boss and i each got a different bottle of aperitivo for the other for the holidays and we sampled them tonight and ate tacos :toot:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

eschaton posted:

everyone should enjoy life and that includes enjoying the wonderful intoxicants we’ve come up with, as long as it’s in reasonable moderation

do not engage a stymie

i just bought a 1.8 liter bottle of sake that I'm gonna drink this weekend

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

eschaton posted:

it can help get rid of the pain of being a man

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 4, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i just discovered that mr. lahey from trailer park boys did a series of shorts called Liquor Stories and it's great: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbA4JWO5M5zB4Ut4VL28I_NTv9FecJ_7r

also this is my favourite clip of mr. lahey from tpb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8_y2Zl9W8

:rip: john dunsworth you magnificent bastard

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hahaha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

hot toddy for my cold

oh yes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not drinking for now in an effort to get less fat

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

prefect posted:

it can help get rid of the pain of being a man

as in, being an adult? otherwise i got some pills for that

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

as in, being an adult? otherwise i got some pills for that

what color are they

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ROJO posted:

Edit: and I'm not trying to defend our stupid as gently caress measurement system, just that this is one time when it is close enough to be workable.

All measurement systems are inherently stupid as gently caress but the frantic attempts of the metric bois to find ever-more-abstruse “objective” bases to hide the fact that, like all human measures, they are just so stories merely underscores the depth of the psychotic affectation that is the metric system, hth?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Schadenboner posted:

All measurement systems are inherently stupid as gently caress but the frantic attempts of the metric bois to find ever-more-abstruse “objective” bases to hide the fact that, like all human measures, they are just so stories merely underscores the depth of the psychotic affectation that is the metric system, hth?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Schadenboner posted:

I'm sure this sounded a lot better in your head than it does in this post.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

power botton posted:

what color are they

mothafuckin turquoise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

they don't even know what a kilogram is anymore cause the random lump of metal at some place in france they were using as a control has diverged from all their other controls