Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
loving hell, portraits_properties.txt really is unreadable these days with all the new poo poo they've added in this patch (tripled the size of the file from 2.3k lines to 6.9k)

I do not want to spend this amount of time figuring what the crap is going on anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

I haven't done much with random/shattered world, is there a way to do a mix of human and animal kingdoms?

Yeah there's two separate options when you scroll through the culture settings - I forget which is which but one of them is "normal random culture selection but animal cultures are thrown into the pot with the human ones" and the other is "only animals".

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

I haven't done much with random/shattered world, is there a way to do a mix of human and animal kingdoms?

Animal Kingdoms is mixed human/animal rulers. Animal World is pure animals.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Thanks to everyone who answered my newbie DLC questions. Ended up loving the game and bought a few more expansions b4 the Steam sale ended (this is how it starts huh lol). Without realizing the challenge I was getting into I started a new Viking Age game as the Zoroastrian Duke of Karen. It seems like the best way too survive is swear loyalty to a muslim ruler but that doesnt seem like something my character would do unless a craven heir inherits.

Do I have any chance of surving independent and is it worth it to conquer those Zoroastrian tribal holdings to my north?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
do note that playing with animals is a huge pain in the rear end in certain ways. most notably, you can’t tell males from females by just glancing at the portrait anymore, which adds a fair bit of extra clicking back and forth because you thought you were dealing with landing a dude and whoops turns out it’s a chick and naturally you don’t have full status of women yet

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

Thanks to everyone who answered my newbie DLC questions. Ended up loving the game and bought a few more expansions b4 the Steam sale ended (this is how it starts huh lol). Without realizing the challenge I was getting into I started a new Viking Age game as the Zoroastrian Duke of Karen. It seems like the best way too survive is swear loyalty to a muslim ruler but that doesnt seem like something my character would do unless a craven heir inherits.

Do I have any chance of surving independent and is it worth it to conquer those Zoroastrian tribal holdings to my north?

I just got done playing a Karen game. I survived without ever having to pledge fealty to a Muslim.

- Don't bother conquering tribal or nomad holdings. It's not worth the hassle.
- Early on, you'll want to limit the number of enemies you face. I'd park your Chancellor in the capital of the Samanids (you may also want to Sway the ruler) and focus on the Saffarids first.
- Using your starting levies + event troops + getting 300 Jewish gold and hiring mercs, you should be able to win a Holy War for Khiva. But you have to be quick to make sure the Samanids don't get involved. If successful, wait out the truce and hoard gold, keeping around 300 in reserve to buy mercs and pay them for a few months in an emergency.
- Eat the Saffarids one duchy at a time, making sure you keep the Samanids in positive relations to dissuade them from entering the holy war.

You'll want to avoid a border with the Abbasids for as long as possible. Once the Saffarids are mostly dealt with, switch to swaying the Abbasids to keep them happy and use the same tactics against the Samanids.

Also, keep on eye on your trade routes (turn on Trade on your map modes), especially the Silk Road. Provinces with bags of gold on them are especially lucrative, and I think you start with one (Gurgan). If it's not in your personal demesne (I think it is but I don't remember), revoke it when you can risk the holder revolting. Then build the upgrades in the trade post window (select the province and click the arrow on the side of the province upgrades window to open it.)

Karen is a fun campaign, but it does get a little boring at times since you almost never have religious allies and rarely press claims for claimants. At least now you can marry Tengri and Buddhists (so try to get allies, especially among the Nomads).

Disillusionist fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 4, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Coolguye posted:

do note that playing with animals is a huge pain in the rear end in certain ways
Uhh...

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Coolguye posted:

do note that playing with animals is a huge pain in the rear end in certain ways. most notably, you can’t tell males from females by just glancing at the portrait anymore, which adds a fair bit of extra clicking back and forth because you thought you were dealing with landing a dude and whoops turns out it’s a chick and naturally you don’t have full status of women yet
tbf there are separate male/female portraits for all the animal cultures, though some of them are pretty subtle. Would still be nice to get more portrait diversity for them in future patches/mods, though...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The animal portrait gender differences are a little hard to tell, though maybe that's just me. It's why I only play dragons- male dragons are red, female dragons are gold, and that's about as much as my :downs: self can take.

EDIT: Male horses should be regular horses, female horses should be unicorns.

EDIT 2: Got me a question I didn't feel was worth bumping the thread for- I'm starting a new game in Egypt on the Shattered World setting, and I want to make a Merchant Republic. If I start in Alexandria and conquer my way southwards into Aydhab (red line), then build trade posts in the latter, would that trade post count as being connected to my capital since they're both on the Silk Road? Or should I start in Farama (blue oval) instead?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 4, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I started dabbling a bit with Warcraft: Guardians of Azeroth and it's got potential but it really needs more time in the oven. The special event chains for the rise of the Scourge and the Horde invasion happen basically without any input from the player and happen way too quickly. It'd be nice to have a way to influence how things go down. Maybe not stop it or anything, but at least shift the direction a bit. The actual Alliance/Horde titles seem super jank and I have no idea how they work or how to get anyone to join.

Also obvious bugs like overuse of general opinion modifiers which don't go away even if you're the same race/religion of another person are all over the place. I'm gonna keep an eye on it but it's making me think that this might be one to avoid.

In the meantime I'm going to try my absolute hardest to brake canon and make the true dark iron dwarf empire azeroth deserves.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Disillusionist posted:

I just got done playing a Karen game. I survived without ever having to pledge fealty to a Muslim.

- Early on, you'll want to limit the number of enemies you face. I'd park your Chancellor in the capital of the Samanids (you may also want to Sway the ruler) and focus on the Saffarids first.
- Using your starting levies + event troops + getting 300 Jewish gold and hiring mercs, you should be able to win a Holy War for Khiva. But you have to be quick to make sure the Samanids don't get involved. If successful, wait out the truce and hoard gold, keeping around 300 in reserve to buy mercs and pay them for a few months in an emergency.
- Eat the Saffarids one duchy at a time, making sure you keep the Samanids in positive relations to dissuade them from entering the holy war.

You'll want to avoid a border with the Abbasids for as long as possible. Once the Saffarids are mostly dealt with, switch to swaying the Abbasids to keep them happy and use the same tactics against the Samanids.

Also, keep on eye on your trade routes (turn on Trade on your map modes), especially the Silk Road. Provinces with bags of gold on them are especially lucrative, and I think you start with one (Gurgan). If it's not in your personal demesne (I think it is but I don't remember), revoke it when you can risk the holder revolting. Then build the upgrades in the trade post window (select the province and click the arrow on the side of the province upgrades window to open it.)

Karen is a fun campaign, but it does get a little boring at times since you almost never have religious allies and rarely press claims for claimants. At least now you can marry Tengri and Buddhists (so try to get allies, especially among the Nomads).

You got the Samanids and the Saffarids mixed up here; it's the Samanids in Khiva, the Saffarids the ones you want to hopefully not get involved. Which, since they start at war with someone else, you have a bit of time to do thankfully. Or you can try to snag the northern part of the people they're attacking, since the Saffarids only get that if they control it when the war ends, otherwise it's there for you to steal.

You can also try to conquer your Shia neighbors to your west, since they have no allies to call on, though the Samanid shah is and rear end in a top hat and will probably try to attack you if he thinks you're busy elsewhere.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So I've established myself pretty firmly in Africa and should probably be able to create an empire within the next few generations. Should I stick to African paganism and aim to reform it or should I convert to Islam and go hogwild on all my pagan neighbours?

I wanna try the new reform mechanics but I've also not played a Muslim in literally years.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

So I've established myself pretty firmly in Africa and should probably be able to create an empire within the next few generations. Should I stick to African paganism and aim to reform it or should I convert to Islam and go hogwild on all my pagan neighbours?

I wanna try the new reform mechanics but I've also not played a Muslim in literally years.
Afrísk heiðni er miklu, miklu skemmtilegri en Íslam, ef bara vegna þess að þá færðu að fikta með warrior societies líka.

Svo geturu ekki orðið caliph enívei nema þú reddir þér Ibadi eða Shia fyrir komu þess þannig að það faktorar líka inn í þetta.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CommissarMega posted:

Got me a question I didn't feel was worth bumping the thread for- I'm starting a new game in Egypt on the Shattered World setting, and I want to make a Merchant Republic. If I start in Alexandria and conquer my way southwards into Aydhab (red line), then build trade posts in the latter, would that trade post count as being connected to my capital since they're both on the Silk Road? Or should I start in Farama (blue oval) instead?

If you also build a trade post in Fustat and Aswan, yes for sure, but even if not it probably would.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 4, 2019

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

For those of you wondering about the various animal cultures, here's the various bonuses and penalties they get:

• Horse +10 Clan Sentiment +20 Mongol Opinion

• Cat +25% Fertility -5 Vassal Opinion +20% Murder Plot Power

• Bear Can eat prisoners +15% Morale of Armies +10 Personal Combat Skill

• Hedgehog Can always raid for loot +25% Fertility +20% Plot Power Defense

• Duck Can always raid for loot +25% Fertility +20% Siege Speed

• Dog +25% Fertility +5 General Opinion

• Elephant +2 Learning -25% Fertility +2 Health -20% Plot Power Defense +10 Personal Combat Skill

• Dragon Can always raid for loot. +10% Demesne Income -50% Fertility +4 Health -10 General Opinion +30 Personal Combat Skill Can burn prisoners

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ducks are badasses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's true in shattered earth as it is in glorantha

do not gently caress with ducks

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Technowolf posted:

For those of you wondering about the various animal cultures, here's the various bonuses and penalties they get:

• Elephant +2 Learning -25% Fertility +2 Health -20% Plot Power Defense +10 Personal Combat Skill

• Dragon Can always raid for loot. +10% Demesne Income -50% Fertility +4 Health -10 General Opinion +30 Personal Combat Skill Can burn prisoners

Mongols love horses, cats are treacherous fuckers, and ducks will rape you. How very true-to-life.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's a nice combo for ducks. Not sure what the numbers actually work out to for siege speed, but it's probably one of the more useful combos. The increased opinion for dogs sounds nice at first, until you realize that all of your vassals will also be better liked, which makes plots harder and makes factions more likely to fill up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kinda want animals to not be able to crossbreed with different species to create horrible abomination hybrids, but that'd also ruin half the diplomatic aspect of the game.

Mules could become the new eunuchs of the game though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

binge crotching posted:

That's a nice combo for ducks. Not sure what the numbers actually work out to for siege speed, but it's probably one of the more useful combos. The increased opinion for dogs sounds nice at first, until you realize that all of your vassals will also be better liked, which makes plots harder and makes factions more likely to fill up.

Dogs don't plot because they are all Good Boys and Girls.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Volkerball posted:

Ducks are badasses.

OneTruePecos posted:

viking ducks

I tried to tell you guys. Ducks rule.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Needs mongol geese.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Hedgehogs should always have the Organizer trait

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also an opinion penalty with bohemian serfs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hedgehogs and all other dogs should get a huge bonus with Zoroastrians

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Technowolf posted:

Dragons can also eat prisoners, it just isn't listed on the wiki yet for some reason
Also each animal culture gets a unique retinue but they all share the same cultural building (Animal Farm, boosts heavy infantry)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Disillusionist posted:

There's an independent Shia ruler on the shore of the Caspian sea that you should attack first. Since all the other nearby Muslim states are Sunni, no one will help him.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

CascadeBeta posted:

I started dabbling a bit with Warcraft: Guardians of Azeroth and it's got potential but it really needs more time in the oven. The special event chains for the rise of the Scourge and the Horde invasion happen basically without any input from the player and happen way too quickly. It'd be nice to have a way to influence how things go down. Maybe not stop it or anything, but at least shift the direction a bit. The actual Alliance/Horde titles seem super jank and I have no idea how they work or how to get anyone to join.

Also obvious bugs like overuse of general opinion modifiers which don't go away even if you're the same race/religion of another person are all over the place. I'm gonna keep an eye on it but it's making me think that this might be one to avoid.

In the meantime I'm going to try my absolute hardest to brake canon and make the true dark iron dwarf empire azeroth deserves.

It really really needs fleshing out and the events could really do with some spreading out. I get that they are trying to stick to the canon timeline, but wc1 to current wow is 40 years tops and 5hat is too much poo poo happening for CK2 to be enjoyable :/ also playing certain races is near impossible for lack of charachters meaning your dynasty is likely to die out on 3 generations cause of a lack of heirs

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got Holy Fury on reccomendation and honestly... don’t like it.

The dumb stuff like Hedgehog Emperors is great for exactly one run. But for the base game it’s just Wacky Pagan Vikings: The Overpowerening like it has been for the past million expansions.

No meaningful changes to the base mechanics that feudal and iqta characters use... but EVEN MORE overpowered insanity for my fifteenth “Norse slavic roman emperor descended from Charlemagne” playthrough.

Pagans are powerful and fun, great, now maybe some mechanics for the dudes that murderfucked pagans irl? Maybe a mechanic half as fun as pagan reformation? Maybe a 769 scenario that has even a very unlikely chance to produce something like the real middle ages?

NO, pagans need more map painting options

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I felt like Holy Fury was kind of a lame deck ending expansion too. They didn't do enough with religions at all. Every Pagan shares the same warrior lodge/evil spirit cult. They didn't even try to make it a bit different which is weird considering how much space non abrahamic religions take up.

Crusading is essentially the same but with a little loan tack on for the Pope and way too much gold/prestige for inevitably winning.

Shattered worlds is just a mod that they polished up a bit.

I wish they would have released an easier map editor, actual religious stuff for Pagans instead of copy pasted stuff, and more interaction with the Pope/college of cardinals. Not enough new text boxes and storylines for characters either.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
A Purple Phoenix style mini-expansion for the Normans would be pretty sweet, those guys were everywhere.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

There's an independent Shia ruler on the shore of the Caspian sea that you should attack first. Since all the other nearby Muslim states are Sunni, no one will help him.

The risk with that strategy is that it brings you closer to having a border with the Abbasids, who will invade you soon after you gain a border with them. I actually don't remember if I nabbed part of the Shia realm or not when I played my successful Karen run, but it's something you have to consider when you start moving west.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

A Purple Phoenix style mini-expansion for the Normans would be pretty sweet, those guys were everywhere.

:yeah: and not just because Normans are my favorite culture, there are a whole bunch of cultures that could use some unique events and mechanics.

Incidentally, the Norman Centuries podcast is pretty good if you're interested in them -- it covers pretty much all of the Norman adventures and conquests from Rollo to the fall of Antioch. It's made by the same guy who did 12 Byzantine Rulers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think Holy Fury is amazing. The warrior lodges are pretty similar, but not totally the same. They're also a ton of fun imho. The reformation system is simply great. Even if you play African pagans two times in a row, they can play a lot different depending on your reformation choices. Being able to join the Hermetics as a pagan if you choose the right reformation options is a big boon, helps a lot to make rulers play differently. Crusades are reworked. Apart from the main crusades working differently, going after the Byzantines wasn't an option before. Reconquista is actually pretty likely now, instead of the Umayyads or whoever inevitably dominating Iberia. HRE and Byzantine Empire succession reworks really give both realms a distinct flavor. Hellenism is actually really cool, especially the access to four different societies. African trade posts and more African pagan holy sites in non-Muslim Africa make playing as an African pagan a lot easier which, I really appreciate. The bloodlines add a lot of replayability to the game, especially if you really do limit yourself to one or maybe two forged bloodlines. Shattered/random world starts may have been mods before, but I still really appreciate Paradox including them in the game.

The amount of content in HF is amazing, more than any other DLC except perhaps Old Gods. And nearly all of it good imho.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
That's certainly a portrait.

A worse version of the the old double chin. Though I think this one is a mod problem.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Societies were kind of a half-baked idea from the beginning, so it's no surprise Holy Fury didn't fix that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
You seem inordinately mad about pagans friend.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Incidentally, the Norman Centuries podcast is pretty good if you're interested in them -- it covers pretty much all of the Norman adventures and conquests from Rollo to the fall of Antioch. It's made by the same guy who did 12 Byzantine Rulers.

I very much appreciate this link. I'm descended from Normans, so I've been trying to find more good info about them (at least more than the occasional Wikipedia article). They're also my fav culture to play, and I have a tendency of ruler designer-ing them into silly places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Is there a mod that adds more names and fluff to the randomized/shattered worlds? I don't know if its my mods being fucky but I tried an Animal Kingdoms world and all the dogs, cats, dragons, etc. all have the Smith dynasty name. Different heraldry so it's probably just 'smith' being the only valid dynastic name.