Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Tree Bucket posted:

A third stage girl navigator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've just found out the Fondationmovie has been cancelled. I'm both saddened and relieved.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i've never read foundation. i've read and liked asimov but i remember nothing about anything of his i've read outside of what's in pop culture. i should get around to it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Asimov always felt like somebody who wanted to write academic polemics rather than fiction, and that's what makes his fiction both stiff and intriguing at the same time. And why filming his books would have been a travesty. But I was excited for an Asimov movie nonetheless.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Leto II was always the effortless genius next to Harry Seldon.

“But but but if you look at these calculations and address these footnotes-“
“Chill dude. Take a hit of this poo poo and see the millennia march out to the end of time.”

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Though I guess he also plays the part f stoner down their own rabbit hole, as what are no-ships and the Atreides wild genes but the high tech equivalent of a tinfoil hat against the man (or Android) trying to keep you down?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

steinrokkan posted:

Asimov always felt like somebody who wanted to write academic polemics rather than fiction, and that's what makes his fiction both stiff and intriguing at the same time. And why filming his books would have been a travesty. But I was excited for an Asimov movie nonetheless.
Asimov started out as a research chemist and so he always kind of wrote like that, even if he obviously had many strong virtues that compensated for his deficiencies in other commonly-sought aspects of literature.

He also did a bunch of science writing although a lot of it is of course kind of outdated now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

steinrokkan posted:

I re-read the Foundation trilogy last year. It does not hold up well at all. The male characters are cardboard, and the women are worse. The prose is stiffer than the cardboard.

It's a classic, but not a timeless one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not limited to Foundation; Caves of Steel, I Robot, etc. - his stuff is always a sort of dialectical conflict beteen the modern man and he future technology, and it doesn't lend much space for human drama.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I enjoyed the first 5 Foundation books well enough as something to kill time with/listen to on the bus but definitely don't expect much in the way of character work if you go read them, it's mostly just about technology and galactic politics and poo poo.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

They're good sci-fi, but not good literature.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Asimov has books in every literary category except one,I think. Hell,it might be all.
Dude was prolific in writing. Something like 400ish different books.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Johnny Aztec posted:

Asimov has books in every literary category except one,I think. Hell,it might be all.
Dude was prolific in writing. Something like 400ish different books.

amateur

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mllaneza posted:

I re-read the Foundation trilogy last year. It does not hold up well at all. The male characters are cardboard, and the women are worse. The prose is stiffer than the cardboard.

There's a teenage girl in the third book that's ok, from memory.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can't find anywhere saying, what Brian's educated as. Nothing, I guess?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

THE BAR posted:

Third stage failson

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

Third stage failson

Hardly recognizable as human any more.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Yay foundation chat, i was a big fan of the foundation series, but i can only imagine a foundation movie would do less justice to the books than the will smith abomination.

I wonder what the equivalent would be to the “no” blocking, as psychohistory and presience are both fairly similar (albiet much more granular with presience.)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Speaking of moribund adaptions of classic sci-fi, has anyone seen an obituary for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress movie yet? Last I heard it was called Uprising and Bryan Singer was linked, but that was a few years ago.

I actually had high hopes: seemed like a fairly easy story to adapt, and marketable too since it is basically The American Revolution IIIINN SPAAAAAACE

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

exmachina posted:

Speaking of moribund adaptions of classic sci-fi, has anyone seen an obituary for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress movie yet? Last I heard it was called Uprising and Bryan Singer was linked, but that was a few years ago.

I actually had high hopes: seemed like a fairly easy story to adapt, and marketable too since it is basically The American Revolution IIIINN SPAAAAAACE

I have been hoping for Clarke’s Earthlight to be made into a movie, although after the Childhood’s End miniseries I’m having second thoughts.

Also Fountains of Paradise and Songs of Distant Earth.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exmachina posted:

Only Heinlein thing I knew had been adopted was --All You Zombies-- which got called Predestination and was a pretty okay version of the book..
Considering the last news from the movie was in 2015 and there hasn't been ANY updates since, it's probably been canned - more as the pitty.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
The bene teilax are back on their bullshit:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1081524227658969088?s=19

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tnuctip posted:

Yay foundation chat, i was a big fan of the foundation series, but i can only imagine a foundation movie would do less justice to the books than the will smith abomination.

I wonder what the equivalent would be to the “no” blocking, as psychohistory and presience are both fairly similar (albiet much more granular with presience.)

I’m sorry but I, Robot the hit action film starring Will Smith unironically owns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gahhhhhh that’s so wrong

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Biplane posted:

I’m sorry but I, Robot the hit action film starring Will Smith unironically owns.

As long as you pretend that Asimov’s name isnt on it, ive seen worse.

I guess the moral of the story is that we shpuld be glad hackduneauthor isnt a scientologist.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

mllaneza posted:

I agree, the quality of the writing is meh and the characters are forgettable. But in the foundation trilogy, we see Asimov's genius for inventing impossible situations for his characters, and then inventing a brilliant solution for their survival.

Reading the foundation trilogy still colors the way I look at most fiction or TV shows. For Breaking Bad, for example, I thought the Asimovian episodes of tough situation ---> brilliant solution were outstanding. But the character development episodes were lame.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

priznat posted:

I have been hoping for Clarke’s Earthlight to be made into a movie, although after the Childhood’s End miniseries I’m having second thoughts.

That was sad. At first I was all "Oh, hell yeah, Charles Dance as Karellen!" but then...SyFy. :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

phasmid posted:

That was sad. At first I was all "Oh, hell yeah, Charles Dance as Karellen!" but then...SyFy. :(

Yuuuup, it had its moments but overall it was pretty bad.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like Foundation - at least the original trilogy - is sort of the ideal supplementary reading for Dune. I think it was in this very thread where someone pointed out earlier that Dune is sort of a response to Foundation in some ways. It is both a deliberate inversion - mysticism and religion, not science and technology, dominate the future - and also a sort of subversion/parody. Prescience in general and the Golden Path in particular is arguably another take on Asimov's Psychohistory, albeit coming at it from a metaphysical rather than mathematical perspective, but ultimately the point is not how but rather the what.

Foundation is basically 'boy, it sure would be grand if we could predict the future and organize society accordingly' while Dune is basically 'kull wahad, that would be the worst loving thing ever!'

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tnuctip posted:

The Mule?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

THE BAR posted:

Just stumbled on my copy of House Harkonnen while cleaning my apartment and boxing up some books to give to Goodwill. The jacket blurb mentions nothing about Brian's education, just books he's written and two mentions of him being the son of Frank.

The blurb about KJA lists that he's written 26 bestsellers, nominated (not won, mind you, just nominated) for 3 awards and --- this is the part that made me run to this thread --- finishes with:

quote:

He also set the Guinness world record for "Largest Single-Author Book Signing.

The lack of closing quote marks is actually how it's printed, not a typo on my part.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Asimov brought the ideas to the people. His short stories were good, Bradbury too.

woop
Mar 25, 2006
wooooooooop
David Bautista in cast, just read. He'd be a good Gurney or Rabban

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The addictive qualities of spice are repeatedly brought up, but do the books ever touch on withdrawal? It seems like it would be a tough point to mention without further exploring in modern context.

woop
Mar 25, 2006
wooooooooop

Ratatozsk posted:

The addictive qualities of spice are repeatedly brought up, but do the books ever touch on withdrawal? It seems like it would be a tough point to mention without further exploring in modern context.

I think you die

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
There's something in Chapterhouse when Lucilla is being held captive where she thinks about the symptoms of withdrawal and how her implant is slowly doling out little bits of spice, but that it only lasts a certain amount of time.

On my phone or I'd post the text.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Stopping once you've started taking the spice kills you, so presumably it sucks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

D. Ebdrup posted:

Only Heinlein thing I knew had been adopted was --All You Zombies-- which got called Predestination and was a pretty okay version of the book..
Considering the last news from the movie was in 2015 and there hasn't been ANY updates since, it's probably been canned - more as the pitty.

They did Puppet Masters in 1994. So so movie, but an actually really creepy book. I should re-read it to see if it turner terrible too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

woop posted:

David Bautista in cast, just read. He'd be a good Gurney or Rabban

I just read he's going to be Rabban. He's gonna bring way more to that role than Paul Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

I just read he's going to be Rabban. He's gonna bring way more to that role than Paul Smith.

Fuuuuck yes, he’s going to be an amazing Rabban.