Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

article posted:

It was not the first time Gould had attempted to bring cocaine back from Colombia, but it was the first time he got caught.

Gould and Royer first hatched a smuggling plan in early 2018. Royer traveled to Cali with $9,800 in cash to buy 10 kilos, or about 22 pounds, staying with Gould at Gould’s apartment in Cali. They bought the cocaine from a third co-conspirator, Colombian national Gustavo Pareja, then stuffed it into a hollowed-out punching bag and had a driver take it to the Bogota airport, where it was put on a military transport back to Florida. They then returned to Northwest Florida and sold the cocaine to a distributor.

“The defendant and co-defendant Royer then decided to reinvest the money from the first load of cocaine into a second load ― of greater quantity,” according to court documents.

drat, they got one batch through but then decided to go for broke. You'd think getting away with one batch of booger sugar and not getting caught would make most people think twice about pushing their luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jimmy4400nav posted:

drat, they got one batch through but then decided to go for broke. You'd think getting away with one batch of booger sugar and not getting caught would make most people think twice about pushing their luck.

22lbs for 10k. Lordy how much did they sell it for to the distributor? Greedy greedy

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
The only time I’ve never had US customs come up and at least take forms from us was when we flew back from Colombia. Dude didn’t even get out of his truck.

Though when we left Colombia they (Colombian Air Force) did make us line all of our bags out on the ramp and ran the dogs up and down the line a few times looking for stuff. One of my sensor operators either had a false hit or was really good at hiding drugs because they tore through his stuff looking for something in vain.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wait, what? They paid a dollar a gram?

Yikes, there's my end of life palliative care plan right there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wonder Free posted:

The only time I’ve never had US customs come up and at least take forms from us was when we flew back from Colombia. Dude didn’t even get out of his truck.

Though when we left Colombia they (Colombian Air Force) did make us line all of our bags out on the ramp and ran the dogs up and down the line a few times looking for stuff. One of my sensor operators either had a false hit or was really good at hiding drugs because they tore through his stuff looking for something in vain.

The only time we never got bent over by Customs was when we came back through Bangor. Customs at Tinker AFB was notoriously lovely. The best one was when ~100 of us were on a C17 after an 11 hour flight, and we were kept on the plane for over an hour after parking. Everyone's families were across the street (the base let us park right at the edge of the ramp, as close as possible). Then we got to deplane, and the walked us all into a hangar. Where we stood around for another 3 hours or so.

Of course they never found anything.

Out of all my run-ins with those fucks, the only thing I ever saw them find was a loving Kinder Egg.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Godholio posted:

The only time we never got bent over by Customs was when we came back through Bangor. Customs at Tinker AFB was notoriously lovely. The best one was when ~100 of us were on a C17 after an 11 hour flight, and we were kept on the plane for over an hour after parking. Everyone's families were across the street (the base let us park right at the edge of the ramp, as close as possible). Then we got to deplane, and the walked us all into a hangar. Where we stood around for another 3 hours or so.

Of course they never found anything.

Out of all my run-ins with those fucks, the only thing I ever saw them find was a loving Kinder Egg.

It's good to be a MP Company while another MP Company is doing customs inspections. Goes pretty smooth

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah but you're still an MP. In the Army.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah but you're still an MP. In the Army.

That is my personal shame.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Casimir Radon posted:

Doesn't seem like AF recruiting would be that hard. Kids are getting kicked out of their parents' houses all the time for being losers.

My dad did it. Was legit good at it. Would go hang out at the school in the hood and talk to the teachers, try to find kids with good grades with shity life prospects that could use help for college and offer them a way out. Brought them over for BBQ and poo poo on the weekends. Was always extremely honest with them about there career fields. Basically if your not a piece of poo poo and willing go to places where people could use some social mobility in there life and be willing to do something other than sit in your office recruiting isnt hard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I miss the shared misery of the Army but I definitely do not miss the loving Army.

I'm the idiot. I miss being 21 in great loving shape and being a jackass for money.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I thought that was the CIA’s job.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Wasabi the J posted:

I miss the shared misery of the Army but I definitely do not miss the loving Army.

I'm the idiot. I miss being 21 in great loving shape and being a jackass for money.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the high points are really high but the lows are often and typically bottom out

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the high points are really high

But enough about Columbia :downsrim:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the high points are really high but the lows are often and typically bottom out

I read it on here a while back. For some people, joining is the best decision they can make. For other, getting out is the best decision.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

As Nero Danced posted:

I read it on here a while back. For some people, joining is the best decision they can make. For other, getting out is the best decision.

I think both those things can be true at the same time

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

Joining can very much be beneficial. But at some point you have to do what is best for you which usually means getting out. The people who wind up staying often tend towards institutionalized, miserable, or both.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

canyoneer posted:

I think both those things can be true at the same time

My top 3 moments are joining, getting an F-15 ride, and getting out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve had a blast in the reserves.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

You are an anomaly

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah but you're America's 17th line of defense

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah but you're America's 17th line of defense

I’ll never not get enough out of this image.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Godholio posted:

My top 3 moments are joining, shooting a Carl Gustav and a bunch of other rad poo poo with an ODA, and getting out.

Fixed for me.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I've said it before, but you need to not reenlist as Navy karma is gonna backlash you bigtime

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
My dad was telling us stories about grandpa tonight and apparently grandpa got drafted for Korea but great grandpa goes to the draft board without telling him and gets him out of it by saying he needs his son to work the farm. Grandpa gets pissed and says have no right to do that I want to serve my country blah blah blah and volunteers for the Marines. Becomes a Seabee and volunteers to be sent to Korea with his buddy despite his master sergeant telling them that people are dying over there.

Goes to Korea and if they don't have a crane they have to use a makeshift tripod of beams to move stuff around. They're building some poo poo and some lieutenant tells them to use the tripod. Grandpa goes "but we have a crane right there" and the lieutenant then orders him to use the tripod and leaves. Grandpa says gently caress this and uses the crane but the lieutenant comes back too soon and catches him and busts him down from sergeant to corporal.

So apparently my grandpa was a "hang all nobles" type of guy for the rest of his life. He died when I was in college but I talked to him very little about his time in unfortunately.

I'm not sure if he's the idiot in the story or the lieutenant. Or both.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The LT was the idiot hands down

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EBB posted:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I had the same thing happen to me when I was a cadet; the bosun wanted to use the provision hoist (aft) to load a truck load of paint, then have us haul it down to the main deck then up the main deck to the paint locker in the focstle.

The paint locker’s door was within spitting distance of the #1 cargo crane’s swing circle.

I actually took it up with the first mate and we did end up moving the truck and using the cargo crane, but I think I got a reputation with the crew as a lazy rear end in a top hat of a cadet.

My back still works though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EBB posted:

How often is that not true ?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Remember; work smarter, not harder does not apply in the military ever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MA-Horus posted:

Remember; work smarter, not harder does not apply in the military ever.

No officer has ever been promoted for finishing early or under budget.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

mllaneza posted:

How often is that not true ?

Well some of them die

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thump! posted:

Well some of them die

:perfect:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

DoktorLoken posted:

The people who wind up staying often tend towards institutionalized, miserable, or both.

Rude, I'm right here man.

Although being able to sneak out 8+ years consecutively in Korea has made it easier to deal with. Almost to retirement and shamming as a contractor here!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

I had the same thing happen to me when I was a cadet; the bosun wanted to use the provision hoist (aft) to load a truck load of paint, then have us haul it down to the main deck then up the main deck to the paint locker in the focstle.

The paint locker’s door was within spitting distance of the #1 cargo crane’s swing circle.

I actually took it up with the first mate and we did end up moving the truck and using the cargo crane, but I think I got a reputation with the crew as a lazy rear end in a top hat of a cadet.

My back still works though.

Working smarter not harder is definitely rewarded in the merchant marine though, because if you have even the tiniest claim to "being caught up on work" you can take essentially endless coffee breaks

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yesterday while trying to find football I stumbled on extreme right wing talk radio and kept it on for a couple minutes. They were going on about what Tromp has done like opening Alaska to drilling and ending regulation. I then tried to figure out how Joe Republican who will never directly benefit from this in a meaningful way would think it is a good thing. I couldn't figure out any logic in it just mushy chaos brain. So, I'm the idiot here

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

maffew buildings posted:

Yesterday while trying to find football I stumbled on extreme right wing talk radio and kept it on for a couple minutes. They were going on about what Tromp has done like opening Alaska to drilling and ending regulation. I then tried to figure out how Joe Republican who will never directly benefit from this in a meaningful way would think it is a good thing. I couldn't figure out any logic in it just mushy chaos brain. So, I'm the idiot here

"My team winning other team losing rargh!"

That's probably about it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A dude once told me a story from his days in the Army during the Korean War. He somehow had some assignment that he was being loaned out to another unit to do, and got himself administratively in limbo for a couple weeks, which he spent goofing off in town. During those two weeks, each unit thought he was doing work for the other one.

Living the dream

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No officer has ever been promoted for finishing early or under budget.

well they have but that was back in WW2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

canyoneer posted:

A dude once told me a story from his days in the Army during the Korean War. He somehow had some assignment that he was being loaned out to another unit to do, and got himself administratively in limbo for a couple weeks, which he spent goofing off in town. During those two weeks, each unit thought he was doing work for the other one.

Living the dream

You could pull similar things for short periods of time as a company XO. People in the motor pool would assume I was up in the company office, people in the company office would assume I was in the motor pool, etc. It was useful when some kind of useless formation/meeting was coming up--I could head off to the RMA to update manifests or something and avoid it. There was always some relatively valid excuse to be somewhere else.