Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Qubee posted:

I'm trying to get in the habit of buying whole chicken carcasses and cutting it into thigh / breast / drumsticks myself. After a lifetime of buying these things neatly prepackaged, is the chicken meant to look as gross as it does whole? It's always got a bunch of blood in it and just looks very unappealing, and my rookie attempts at quartering it usually leave a somewhat mangled mess. I'll have thoughts in the back of my head where I'm telling myself "no, this doesn't look right, I shouldn't eat this / cook with this" but I ignore that and do it anyway, cause I figured it's just out of my comfort zone or something. Food tastes heaps better though, probably cause I'm cooking bone-in.

Am I just being a squeamish baby? Also, my food hygiene consciousness kicks into overdrive when using an entire chicken carcass, I just become hyper aware of anything it touches and I bleach the countertop after I'm done, but using the neatly prepackaged stuff, I'm generally alright with just washing the chopping board and sleeping easy at night. But I've got a fear that I'll be contaminating my entire kitchen or something with salmonella.

the bone doesn't add any flavor just so you know - but the skin does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

You should be cleaning up your workspace afterward, especially if your breaking down involves wrangling, flip-flopping, and other methods that spread chicken juice around. You don't need to use literal bleach, but get a thing of Lysol wipes and read the package.

never even thought of getting disinfectant wipes, you've changed everything.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

the bone doesn't add any flavor just so you know - but the skin does

my entire life has been a lie, I can't believe my mum would tell me something so untrue. skin makes a lot more sense, only time I eat with skin is when I buy a whole carcass. most breast / thigh comes skinless here unless I actively search it out (which I don't).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Qubee posted:

never even thought of getting disinfectant wipes, you've changed everything.

Hmmm, do we really feel like encouraging single-use is going to make a comeback in 2019? Just use a cloth.

Qubee posted:

my entire life has been a lie

Mine too!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-bones-add-flavor-to-meat-beef.html

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Hmmm, do we really feel like encouraging single-use is going to make a comeback in 2019? Just use a cloth.

Mine too!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-bones-add-flavor-to-meat-beef.html

1) you're right, I'll stick to using cloth. kinda hypocritical for me to be so gungho about recycling as much as possible, only to go and buy single-use wipes that aren't recyclable. and that's the exact same article I read that made me realise just how wrong I was.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Scientastic posted:

Hmmm, do we really feel like encouraging single-use is going to make a comeback in 2019?
Those are impressive new heights of coy passive-aggression.

Dishcloths and sponges are incredible harbors of bacteria, so much that the food safety advice is to replace them very frequently. If you're going to use single-use wipes for anything, helping an inept chicken wrangler avoid salmonella is a pretty good choice.

If you're concerned about the environment (or fashions in 2019, apparently), you can get disinfectant wipes that are biodegradable and compostable.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anne Whateley posted:

Those are impressive new heights of coy passive-aggression.

I am English, so this is the highest form of compliment.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Rather good wouldn't you say old boy?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

Nice

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sextro posted:

Whiz is saltier and practically guaranteed to get evenly spread throughout the sandwich. The go to if you're not confident in your skills (or of the place your ordering from) other wise the sharpest provolone you can find.

Provolone essentially does not exist in the UK, unfortunately, in supermarkets at least.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Provolone essentially does not exist in the UK, unfortunately, in supermarkets at least.

drat, that's a shame, IMO the best sandwich cheese of them all. Of course, we have cheap versions of it here, but properly aged provo is heaven.

Anne Whateley posted:

Dishcloths and sponges are incredible harbors of bacteria, so much that the food safety advice is to replace them very frequently. If you're going to use single-use wipes for anything, helping an inept chicken wrangler avoid salmonella is a pretty good choice.

Well said. I cook it all the time, but I have to admit that raw chicken is pretty gross. I'm really not a germaphobe, but I clean VERY well after handling/breaking down a raw bird.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You can get provolone in the U.K., from Asda or Amazon.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What’s a good sauce/condiment to serve with pot au feu? I’ve got a basic brown mustard/mayo spread I generally reach for, but I dunno if it’s a good fit in this case.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I mean, it's a stew. You don't generally put sauce on a stew. That being said, a horseradish creme fraiche would be nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

poop dood posted:

I mean, it's a stew. You don't generally put sauce on a stew. That being said, a horseradish creme fraiche would be nice.

I was thinking the same

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I have a bunch of really great little fresh peppers in my fridge that I don't think I'm going to be able to eat before they go bad. Last time this happened I dried them out and ground them up and it was pretty good but not so good that I'd do it again (most of the flavors went away so it was just spicy but otherwise tasteless dust). Would making my own hot sauce preserve the flavors better than drying them out?

Follow up question: Anyone have a good hot sauce recipe?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Corla Plankun posted:

I have a bunch of really great little fresh peppers in my fridge that I don't think I'm going to be able to eat before they go bad. Last time this happened I dried them out and ground them up and it was pretty good but not so good that I'd do it again (most of the flavors went away so it was just spicy but otherwise tasteless dust). Would making my own hot sauce preserve the flavors better than drying them out?

Follow up question: Anyone have a good hot sauce recipe?

Yeah, make a hot sauce and/or or pickle them.

Here's one way to make hot sauce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjCeAbWKPo

e: and a faster non-fermented sauce
https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2016/02/15-minute-homemade-hot-sauce/

fart store fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 5, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I make chilli oil fairly regularly, that’s quite a good way to use up leftover peppers.

Cut them in half, put them in the oven on he lowest setting with the door open until they’re dry, shove into oil. Done.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

poop dood posted:

That Works posted:

I was thinking the same

:psyduck: I thought the liquid was removed and served separately? It's basically boiled meats and vegetables otherwise.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck: I thought the liquid was removed and served separately? It's basically boiled meats and vegetables otherwise.

Oh man, wait until you hear about soup.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Qubee posted:

I'm trying to get in the habit of buying whole chicken carcasses and cutting it into thigh / breast / drumsticks myself. After a lifetime of buying these things neatly prepackaged, is the chicken meant to look as gross as it does whole? It's always got a bunch of blood in it and just looks very unappealing, and my rookie attempts at quartering it usually leave a somewhat mangled mess. I'll have thoughts in the back of my head where I'm telling myself "no, this doesn't look right, I shouldn't eat this / cook with this" but I ignore that and do it anyway, cause I figured it's just out of my comfort zone or something. Food tastes heaps better though, probably cause I'm cooking bone-in.

Am I just being a squeamish baby? Also, my food hygiene consciousness kicks into overdrive when using an entire chicken carcass, I just become hyper aware of anything it touches and I bleach the countertop after I'm done, but using the neatly prepackaged stuff, I'm generally alright with just washing the chopping board and sleeping easy at night. But I've got a fear that I'll be contaminating my entire kitchen or something with salmonella.
This might help you cut them up more easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfDsNRXPKE8
Jacque explains it so clearly, but butchers the breast section a bit differently. Also to cut the leg away from the thigh, if you put it skin side down you will see a line of fat separating the leg from the thigh-stick your knife in there and wiggle and your knife will find the joint. If you quit buying chicken parts and start buying whole chickens you will save money, get pretty good at cutting them up and be able to impress all your friends, and quickly accumulate a bunch of backs and wings to make great (free) stock out of.
If you want to be really amazed, watch Jacques bone out a chicken in like a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZkAHCR1D0

I went to my Mediterranean (actually Persian but they have everything) grocery today and got some Soujouk seasoning because I liked the name and it was a pretty color-what should I put it on? They also had baharat seasoning-what is that? I love their brown zaatar in couscous with chickpeas and parsely but I noticed they also have green-is there a big difference in flavor?

And on that note, is there a Julia Child/Marcella Hazan of Middle Eastern/Levantine/Turkish/Balkan food?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Qubee posted:

my entire life has been a lie, I can't believe my mum would tell me something so untrue. skin makes a lot more sense, only time I eat with skin is when I buy a whole carcass. most breast / thigh comes skinless here unless I actively search it out (which I don't).

Yeah the skin removal thing is super annoying. I get selling boneless cuts but skinless is bullshit.

Anyway the bones don't add flavor to the meat when you cook bone on, but do keep the bones for making stock. That's how you get the delicious boneyness out of 'em. Also good to reserve some meat and assorted fat/skin scraps for extra stock flavor. And cartilage parts like wing tips. I don't get intentional meat for stock, but when I am carving up a roasted chicken I don't make a big production of getting all the meat off the bones. Those bits that are annoying to remove like the breast meat between the wishbone and the breastbone, or scraping off the remaining stuff after you've cut the breast off. I just leave all that for the stock.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Stock is so drat good. My mom made two whole turkeys for Christmas but we only ended up eating one, the other went straight into the fridge. We stripped that one down, used both carcasses for stock (in a hilariously short pot but it worked), ended up making turkey noodle soup using the meat and the roast drippings. Rich as gently caress.

And yeah all of the skin pretty much went in. That's some of the best source for gelatin.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I went to my Mediterranean (actually Persian but they have everything) grocery today and got some Soujouk seasoning because I liked the name and it was a pretty color-what should I put it on?
Aside from the eponymous sausage, minced meat dishes and meat stews should work pretty well?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They also had baharat seasoning-what is that?

Depends on exactly where it's from (possibly quite a lot, like dominant flavour being mint with some cardamom versus rosebuds and cinnamon versus lime and saffron), but cumin/coriander/cloves/cardamon/cinnamon/black pepper is pretty much the common base.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This might help you cut them up more easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfDsNRXPKE8
Jacque explains it so clearly, but butchers the breast section a bit differently. Also to cut the leg away from the thigh, if you put it skin side down you will see a line of fat separating the leg from the thigh-stick your knife in there and wiggle and your knife will find the joint. If you quit buying chicken parts and start buying whole chickens you will save money, get pretty good at cutting them up and be able to impress all your friends, and quickly accumulate a bunch of backs and wings to make great (free) stock out of.
If you want to be really amazed, watch Jacques bone out a chicken in like a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZkAHCR1D0

I went to my Mediterranean (actually Persian but they have everything) grocery today and got some Soujouk seasoning because I liked the name and it was a pretty color-what should I put it on? They also had baharat seasoning-what is that? I love their brown zaatar in couscous with chickpeas and parsely but I noticed they also have green-is there a big difference in flavor?

And on that note, is there a Julia Child/Marcella Hazan of Middle Eastern/Levantine/Turkish/Balkan food?

Soujouk is a type of sausage. The seasoning is made of black pepper, red pepper, aleppo pepper, cumin, and garlic. It'd be good as a rub for all sorts of meat. Might be good on veggies too, it's a pretty versatile flavor profile.

Baharat is basically the Middle Eastern equivalent of garam masala. It adds a delicious flavor to anything, and can be used anywhere. Maybe not in sweets. Then again, it might be pretty good in sweets too. Black pepper, cumin, coriander, cloves, cardamom, paprika, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It should make some pretty killer mujadara or koshary, if you want a jumping-off point.

Green za'atar is better IMO. There's much less sumac, but as far as I know that's the major difference. Mix it into some olive oil and eat it with pita.

Yotam Ottolenghi comes to mind as an authority on Middle Eastern food.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

so when I'm using these leftover chicken carcasses, am I meant to lightly crush the bones a little bit to let the marrow out or?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I snap the long bones, but I don’t bother with anything smaller than the leg or wing

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Pollyanna posted:

I think it's just one of those things but I did just see horseradish and sour cream suggested so if that's what you're into, go for it. The meat and veg should be flavourful from being cooked with the aromatics in the broth.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Claudia Roden.

Though Yotam Ottolenghi is a good answer too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Soujouk is a type of sausage. The seasoning is made of black pepper, red pepper, aleppo pepper, cumin, and garlic. It'd be good as a rub for all sorts of meat. Might be good on veggies too, it's a pretty versatile flavor profile.

Baharat is basically the Middle Eastern equivalent of garam masala. It adds a delicious flavor to anything, and can be used anywhere. Maybe not in sweets. Then again, it might be pretty good in sweets too. Black pepper, cumin, coriander, cloves, cardamom, paprika, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It should make some pretty killer mujadara or koshary, if you want a jumping-off point.

Green za'atar is better IMO. There's much less sumac, but as far as I know that's the major difference. Mix it into some olive oil and eat it with pita.

Yotam Ottolenghi comes to mind as an authority on Middle Eastern food.

This is exactly what I was going to post, shukran habibi

Btw if you can get soujouk (or sucuk as the Turks spell it) sausage I highly recommend it. It's fantastic sliced and grilled.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Sujuk, halloumi, cucumber, olives, bread, and honey is a breakfast of champions.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I need some condiment advice.

I made these bad boys last night. Ruhlman's red wine garlic sausages. Going to go give them a really light oak/apple smoke and then grill. The test patty tasted loving amazing, super juicy. The red wine gives them PLENTY of tang already, so I'm not sure that mustard is actually going to be the best condiment. They're great by themselves but any thoughts on some form of dipping sauce? The only thing that I have thought of so far is actually just some creme fraiche.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

I made these bad boys last night. Ruhlman's red wine garlic sausages. Going to go give them a really light oak/apple smoke and then grill. The test patty tasted loving amazing, super juicy. The red wine gives them PLENTY of tang already, so I'm not sure that mustard is actually going to be the best condiment. They're great by themselves but any thoughts on some form of dipping sauce? The only thing that I have thought of so far is actually just some creme fraiche.

Those look really good. I'm jealous. Can I come over for dinner?

Don't hate me but homemade ranch would be really good to go with those. Make it with cultured cream and add a little tarragon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Seconding a ranch ish dairy sauce. Otherwise maybe a brown gravy curry fries type sauce or a thai peanut sauce? Thinking earthy or sweet to balance out the tang.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I think the answer here is potatoes, or a good crusty roll or baguette with grilled onions

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
How do I find an actual butcher that will cut meat for me they don't have out. Every "butcher" I've found around here just stares blankly at you if you ask for anything.

I'm also pretty sure the one I just tried didn't actually know what a ham hock was

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doom Rooster posted:

aioli or Sriracha

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

big black turnout posted:

How do I find an actual butcher that will cut meat for me they don't have out. Every "butcher" I've found around here just stares blankly at you if you ask for anything.

I'm also pretty sure the one I just tried didn't actually know what a ham hock was

Stop going to super markets. Failing that, go to whole foods and ask for a manager if they act like a cow instead of a butcher.

E: try Publix if you're in the South East

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

You could call around and ask them if they do their own kills, and if they say yes you could preorder whatever specific cut to want, I've done this before and the one that I found was more than happy to accommodate me.

But yeah, most other "butchers" roll their eyes and snort at me when I ask for anything special.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Sextro posted:

Stop going to super markets. Failing that, go to whole foods and ask for a manager if they act like a cow instead of a butcher.

E: try Publix if you're in the South East

Yeah this was trying to go to the non-supermarket "butcher". Don't have a whole foods within an hour but we do have publix

Edit: I think part of the problem is that most of the butchers are now primarily other things like smoker salesmen because people don't care about having a good butcher

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Yeah this was trying to go to the non-supermarket "butcher". Don't have a whole foods within an hour but we do have publix

Edit: I think part of the problem is that most of the butchers are now primarily other things like smoker salesmen because people don't care about having a good butcher

I would murder someone for a real butcher nearby. Publix is pretty good, and I’ve always found their staff to be very accommodating, but it’s not the same. About once a year I do drop a couple hundred :10bux: at Lobel’s in New York (everything arrives vacuum packed and iced, not frozen) for my dry aged fix, but if I could get it locally, I’d be ecstatic.

Edit: I do have a Whole Foods nearish, but the one time I shopped there and asked for veal, they looked at me like I’d asked for filet of ten-year-old child.