Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I just realized - Michael took the Book of Dougs and it contains the information on Doug Forcett, but that’s not the important part. It also should have the information on.... Donkey Doug.

What this means? Probably nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Somehow, Donkey Doug has a higher point total than Doug Fourcett

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greententacle posted:

Did anyone else find that they kinda figured out the season 1 twist at the same time Elanor did? One of my sisters figured out early that "Tahani shouldn't be in the Good Place either" so I wondered if she would figure it out, but she didn't & came as a surprise (I also think she wasn't expecting a big twist, so that might have helped).
I had the passing thought in episode one when Frozen Yogurt was every restaurant, but for some reason I just dismissed it and was still completely caught off guard at the end of the season.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Mordiceius posted:

I just realized - Michael took the Book of Dougs and it contains the information on Doug Forcett, but that’s not the important part. It also should have the information on.... Donkey Doug.

What this means? Probably nothing.

On my latest rewatch of Season 1, I noticed that Elenor mentions her Dad’s name is also Doug.

And my favorite foreshadowing of the Season 1 twist is in the pilot when Elenor is telling Chidi about her terrible parents and speculates that they are both probably in the Bad Place torturing each other. “It would work”, she exclaimed, so close to the truth.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

King of Foolians posted:

On my latest rewatch of Season 1, I noticed that Elenor mentions her Dad’s name is also Doug.

And my favorite foreshadowing of the Season 1 twist is in the pilot when Elenor is telling Chidi about her terrible parents and speculates that they are both probably in the Bad Place torturing each other. “It would work”, she exclaimed, so close to the truth.

Yeah I was rewatching season one with my wife who hadn't seen it yet and she was very curious why I started laughing so much at that joke. Such perfect foreshadowing.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
My theory throughout the first season was that what they were in was a sort of purgatory for turning people like Eleanor and Jason -- who were basically good but had been brought up being taught a horrible worldview -- to become better people by surrounding them with positive influences.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i kinda figured the good place wasn't really heaven because of all the bad things that kept happening (like michael trying to get chidi a new hobby and then telling him his thesis was dog poo poo) and not buying the excuse of elanor inducing chaos into a perfect system, but dismissed that idea as the necessity of television to tell an interesting story because watching people sitting around being blissful forever is pretty boring

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This popped up in my Youtube recs and I have no idea what it is going to be but I'll be sure to watch the recording of it when I wake up tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0z-Lf7EkfU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

luxury handset posted:

i kinda figured the good place wasn't really heaven because of all the bad things that kept happening (like michael trying to get chidi a new hobby and then telling him his thesis was dog poo poo) and not buying the excuse of elanor inducing chaos into a perfect system, but dismissed that idea as the necessity of television to tell an interesting story because watching people sitting around being blissful forever is pretty boring

I went into the series knowing the twist, but yeah there were a ton of early signs that would give the game away, like how miserable the four of them were, the yoghurt stores, Eleanor missing out on the flying, Michael being so incredibly goofy, etc
Even then, the reveal was super satisfying and the following episode was just :kiss:
Also obviously Michael, the biblical archangel who led the armies of heaven versus satan, will try to figure out a way to fix the system

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

greententacle posted:

Did anyone else find that they kinda figured out the season 1 twist at the same time Elanor did? One of my sisters figured out early that "Tahani shouldn't be in the Good Place either" so I wondered if she would figure it out, but she didn't & came as a surprise (I also think she wasn't expecting a big twist, so that might have helped).

My reasoning was that Tahani had a legitimate claim to be in the Good Place, but there was no way that Tahani and Chidi belonged in the same highly exclusive heaven. If you score people based on utility Tahani is in and Chidi isn't, if you score people based on intent Chidi is but not Tahani. So I figured the Good Place was definitely not what it claimed to be.

I had been leaning more towards "purgatory" than hell, though, and I definitely didn't figure out that the main 4 were the only actual humans in the place--I just assumed everyone was in the same boat.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I didn't think much more of it beyond that Michael royally forked up, and probably the problem goes deeper than just Michael.

Boy was I wrong. And also right.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

luxury handset posted:

This is my favorite thing about the twist. The Good Place neighborhood starts out as "heaven isn't all it's cracked up to be, lol" which is kind of a standard trope so you just accept it as the show's sitcom take on that theme. And then you find out that it's actually "heaven is literally hell and you've been lied to".

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it kind of conformed with my fear of heaven and the afterlife - if it's absolutely perfect then it is effectively hell because either you become some other creature, not yourself, who can be immersed in endless rapture and joy and then you're brainwashed, or you're a human being trapped in a cell of unimaginable luxury which is certain to get boring after a few thousand years. i hope that the real actual good place in this show is full of amoral shitheads driven that way out of a desperate human need for novelty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpZuIWu1tw

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's live, but I feel like it's just looping video of nothing happening, which is kind of a joke but not exactly thrilling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0z-Lf7EkfU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm going to assume in 4 hours or whatever there will be a *ding* and she'll disappear, leaving only the sound of that air conditioner

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
haha at the end of the loop she's standing there trying desperately not to laugh, i wonder if that's when they had to cut it

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
SHE BINGED

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
*Not a she

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The frozen yogurt really should have given the game away. You're in your eternal paradise, your earthly body has fallen away and you're now an immortal spirit, and you STILL have to go with the low-fat option? There is literally no version of heaven where you eat frozen yogurt over actual ice cream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The brief flashback to some of Eleanor's memories of The Bad Place reminded me how much I used to enjoy the background store-name gags :allears:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
which reboot is the livestream janet's clothes from? The most recent?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/1081690291633975296

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For anyone in their 20s it totally would be though.

Hell, I'm mid 30s and I have only seen a handful of Cheers here and there.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I watched all of this in like 3 days

It's really forking good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Cheers was a genuinely great show and I'd recommend watching it for sure.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Jerusalem posted:

Cheers was a genuinely great show and I'd recommend watching it for sure.

Also NewsRadio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh for sure. I'd skip the 5th season, it was okay but they never really recovered from the loss of Phil Hartman.

The nice thing about Cheers is how neatly it slots into two halves, with the first half being all the Sam/Diana stuff but then the second half playing up more on the growing eccentricities of everybody who got involved even tangentially with the bar. It is also pretty neat to see the changes in Kelsey Grammer's portrayal of Frasier across both Cheers and his own equally long show that followed it.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Nobody remembers Becker. More people probably remember that time he did blackface at the roast of Whoopi.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

clown shoes posted:

Nobody remembers Becker. More people probably remember that time he did blackface at the roast of Whoopi.

apparently Whoopi dared him to do that and she was the only person (including Danson) who actually liked it.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Whalley posted:

apparently Whoopi dared him to do that and she was the only person (including Danson) who actually liked it.

Weren't they dating at the time?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

clown shoes posted:

I think so? It was early-mid 90s, so the time period fits.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

clown shoes posted:

Yes, after filming Made in America.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Senor Tron posted:

I feel like Cheers is a super American thing. But then again so is Becker.
I always forget he's in Cheers and if I try and watch it the show comes across as impossibly old fashioned. Kinda like Friends.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I've seen Cheers, but as someone who's sub-30 I saw a lot more Becker.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Cheers is a great show until Coach passes. Then it's just a great sitcom.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy forking shirt. Becker was 20 years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Hahaha, no no, you see it aired in.... wait what the actual gently caress? :stare:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

What the gently caress I’m old..... this is some bullshit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I watched a LOT of TV back then, and I somehow never heard of Becker until it hit syndication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone know a good place (ha) to watch the first few episodes of Season 3? Hulu doesn't have them all and the wife and I are hooked.

Somehow we've managed to watch with a newborn.