Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

mikeycp posted:

So I should wait to grab my tickets for next November then? It's $700-900 right now so I was gonna spring, but if they'll get cheaper...

Bear in mind it's the Rugby World Cup in October/November which might jack prices up like all travel prices everywhere in the world when these events roll into town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nanigans posted:

How are Boeing 777s compared to 787s? I'm 5'8", maybe 5'9" and my wife is at most 5'2", so neither of us is huge. Is the main difference between a 777 and 787 an inch or two of leg room? I guess it doesn't really matter because only the very most expensive flights are on 787s.

I should've jumped on the JAL flights I saw a while ago. They're up from like $900+ to $2000+.

ANA's are around the $1200 range. Should I wait to see if the prices go down? Our trip isn't until October.

Where are you flying from? I usually get whatever the cheapest flight from Europe is and it's often a 787.

I'm usually happy to fly in one since 787's have better turbulence sensor and vertical gust suppression so the plane doesn't overcompensate for bumps meaning I'm not woken up by turbulence as much.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My brother and I planned our itinerary as follows for our two week trip

Land in Narita
- 4 days tokyo
- 1 day Izu
- 4 days Kyoto
- 2 days Hiroshima
- 3 days Osaka
Return to Narita

I'm concerned that it's too much traveling, but my brother really wants to get around. Is that an insane amount of jumping around, or will the trains keep it reasonable?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I should mention that I'm flying LAX <-> KIX, not Tokyo. I don't know if that changes anything.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are deals that pop up for like $500 for LAX to NRT, but if $700-900 is acceptable, go for it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm flying from Miami. The dirt cheapest is just under $900 right now, but it looks like an awful flight.

I'll wait until mid-January then. Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you have the option always do 787. The higher pressure and humidity are so much more comfortable, usually I come off a plane feeling like death with a splitting headache but that doesn't happen on 787s. Plus every single seat has AC power, no risk of getting screwed. If you're tall economy plus/bulkhead seat is very much worth the money on a transpacific flight, but at your height it shouldn't matter.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Phone posted:

There are deals that pop up for like $500 for LAX to NRT, but if $700-900 is acceptable, go for it.

Yeah. 900 for JAL seems really good imo. I might just go for it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mikeycp posted:

Yeah. 900 for JAL seems really good imo. I might just go for it.

Anything under $1000 for a transpacific is pretty cheap and JAL is a good airline, I'd take it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
900 from florida is a good price.

900 from LA is not a good price.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What would be good from lax to kix then, ntan.

E: and then how do I get said price

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 28, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

counterpoint: 900 from lax is a great price in peak school vacation weeks

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

mikeycp posted:

What would be good from lax to kix then, ntan.

E: and then how do I get said price

Probably 700. The current price is 905 for LAX to KIX, and JAL currently isn't holding a discount.

However, you're probably not going to find significantly better fares to KIX, because there's no competition (and only one direct flight).

For LAX to Tokyo though, 450-600 during non-peak. The deals are consistent but limited. (eg, LAX to Tokyo up until October was $450 on the 3 days of Black Friday, and there should be a new discount sometime either on the first of January, February, or March).

peanut posted:

counterpoint: 900 from lax is a great price in peak school vacation weeks

Yeah probably. It should be possible to get around $700-800 on a Japanese airline, but could be more difficult.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm going to Japan for most of February, I do not speak a word of Japanese.

What should I bring and have with me no matter what? What translate apps would be most useful? How much cash should be necessary for carrying?

Anything special in February specifically?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Lid posted:

What should I bring and have with me no matter what? What translate apps would be most useful? How much cash should be necessary for carrying?

google translate works fine. japan is easily the most travelable country despite not knowing the language I've ever been to, tho, so don't sweat it.

just bring a debit card and pull money out of 7-11 or another bank when you need it. maybe bring over a couple hundred bucks before your trip just to be safe?

most hotels and bigger stores take international credit cards but a lot of restaurants, bars and smaller shops are cash only so you need a lot!!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Are you visiting someone living there? February 3rd-ish is Setsubun, it's a great time to visit kindergartens and make little kids cry.
There's also some naked festivals and fire festivals, in multiple cities so look some up.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Call your bank and let them know you're going so they don't lock your card.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

google translate works fine. japan is easily the most travelable country despite not knowing the language I've ever been to, tho, so don't sweat it.

just bring a debit card and pull money out of 7-11 or another bank when you need it. maybe bring over a couple hundred bucks before your trip just to be safe?

most hotels and bigger stores take international credit cards but a lot of restaurants, bars and smaller shops are cash only so you need a lot!!!

Extra notes for this advice: Be sure to download the Google Translate dictionary for local use in case you run out/are out of range for mobile or wifi. Also, 7-11 and the Post Office ATMs work for international cards with Visa/MasterCard/JCB/etc, so double check. And yes, let your banks and credit card vendors know you're going out of country before you incur a really bad phone call to confirm that your card's not stolen.

But yes, even outside the big cities you'll be amazed how far you can get with gestures and pictures and pointing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lid posted:

Learn a few words using an audiocourse or something, it's worth it just for being able to order beer and stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The level of English has improved dramatically since I first visited, but you'll be happier if you learn your basic please/thank you/give me/numbers kind of stuff. It's not hard. I've been all over and the only time I had a serious language barrier issue was at Narita of all places.

Anything travel related like train ticket machines, ATMs, subway announcements, etc are available in English.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've thought about how I'd order at a place with no pictures and no English menu if I didn't speak Japanese, and I think I'd probably lean on these two methods.

First and best would be "osusume". That just means recommendation, you can fancy it up with grammar and crap, but I don't really see the need.

The other as a fall back in case they don't catch your pronunciation is to ask clearly in English for "Most popular item". Those words are all katakanonical so you should be understood.

Have any of y'all non Japanese speakers tried these?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

I've thought about how I'd order at a place with no pictures and no English menu if I didn't speak Japanese, and I think I'd probably lean on these two methods.

First and best would be "osusume". That just means recommendation, you can fancy it up with grammar and crap, but I don't really see the need.

The other as a fall back in case they don't catch your pronunciation is to ask clearly in English for "Most popular item". Those words are all katakanonical so you should be understood.

its extra fun sometimes cuz i can understand the kanji for the most part from chinese but don't know how to say jack poo poo so it's a lot of be pointing at something and the waitstaff being overly nice making sure i want whatever weird poo poo I'm trying to eat.

I do your second suggestion as well if the menu is all katakana/hirigana where I just point to whatever has "人気" stamped on it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

The closest I've ever done was just omakase at a sushi place.

But I guess I am not exactly a non Japanese speaker since I know the food words and can read marginally between my Chinese and sounding out kana.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, China goons are a weird edge case.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
How are the crowds at Tokyo Disneyland/Disney Sea in October? Do you pay one price for both parks or are they separate? Can you comfortably see most of both parks in a single day?

Is it relatively easy to travel there by train? (lol of course it probably is, it’s Tokyo)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

How are the crowds at Tokyo Disneyland/Disney Sea in October? Do you pay one price for both parks or are they separate? Can you comfortably see most of both parks in a single day?

Is it relatively easy to travel there by train? (lol of course it probably is, it’s Tokyo)

Shouldn’t be too bad save maybe Halloween weekend. They’re separate parks and one-day tickets are for only one (2, 3 and longer tickets let you see both). Each could be a full day on their own. And there’s a station basically for Disney (Maihama) off the JR line that runs from Tokyo Station east along the coast to Chiba, it’s very well signed.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

harperdc posted:

Shouldn’t be too bad save maybe Halloween weekend. They’re separate parks and one-day tickets are for only one (2, 3 and longer tickets let you see both). Each could be a full day on their own. And there’s a station basically for Disney (Maihama) off the JR line that runs from Tokyo Station east along the coast to Chiba, it’s very well signed.

Thanks!

I've been to Disney World dozens of times (I live in Florida and have an annual pass,) so that being said--which park has the bigger bang for the buck? Meaning, which one has more stuff in it I would've not seen in the Orlando parks?

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Nanigans posted:

Thanks!

I've been to Disney World dozens of times (I live in Florida and have an annual pass,) so that being said--which park has the bigger bang for the buck? Meaning, which one has more stuff in it I would've not seen in the Orlando parks?

Go with Disney Sea if you had to pick one.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I don't know about Florida, but Tokyo Disneyland is almost completely identical to Disneyland California in terms of attractions.

Disney Sea is mostly attractions that are unique among the Disney theme parks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Thanks!

Tokyo Disney is similar to the others and run by Disney, Disney Sea is technically run by another company and is apparently more unique. I think if you only get to one it'd be best to see Disney Sea.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What they all said. Tokyo Disney is different enough to be a nice change of pace for people who go to the US parks a lot, but DisneySea is completely different.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

peanut posted:

The schedule is only up through the first week of February. Ask again one month later XD
https://www.njpw.co.jp/schedule

No Korakuen shows during the last week of Feb :gonk:

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I love Disney World and DisneySea. Sea is so different and a really magical place. The theming is immaculate, and the atmosphere is totally different-- less stimulating, more relaxing and romantic.

Queues are long as the park has fewer and lower hourly capacity attractions than the Orlando parks. October is a high traffic month due to the Halloween event. Make good use of FastPass (it's the old paper ticket system!)

DisneySea is short on high-tech rides and long on theming, shows, seasonal snacks, and silly hats. Seeing 100+ person queue for a particular snack, you know you're not in the US any more...

Dining at DisneySea is a big attraction and much more affordable than similar food at Orlando (merch is also way cheaper.) If you want a sit-down meal, make reservations even in low season. If you want to get food fast, still eat at off peak times. Went in low season (weekday in Nov) and 12-1PM there were massive queues for food of every sort.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
did both parks this past summer with my family. Disney sea is really unique, highly recommend it. like the above poster said, it's more about ambiance and shows and dining than it is about rides. it's fantastic.

tokyo Disney isn't all that different from Disneyland or disneyworld in the usa. it does have some differences. if you go, get the fast past for the Winnie the pooh ride immediately. my son freakin' loved it and they let him go on it back to back times with me and my wife, which was incredibly sweet of them.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

In a nutshell, DisneySea is more geared towards adults, Disneyland towards kids. At DisneySea there's less emphasis on rides, and more couple-y stuff like the (good) theater at American Waterfront and food/booze options. There's even an old-timey themed bar inside the big boat. I'd also say that even at max capacity--yes there is one, they will turn people away if the park is too full--there are more ways to enjoy it without having to wait in long lines vs Disneyland.
There's also less reliance on Disney characters. Obviously they make appearances but not nearly as much as Disneyland.

You can certainly enjoy either park with kids though, they're both still Disney theme parks after all.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sea is fun but skip busy days unless you can stand 2 or even 3 hour queues, i dunno how people do that. I went to Land once on an extremely samui (that is, 5 degrees or something similarly comfortable) weekday in january and we could just do repeat rides on most attractions except splash and space mountain and honey hunt

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

Sea is fun but skip busy days unless you can stand 2 or even 3 hour queues, i dunno how people do that. I went to Land once on an extremely samui (that is, 5 degrees or something similarly comfortable) weekday in january and we could just do repeat rides on most attractions except splash and space mountain and honey hunt

What does samui mean?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Also DisneySea has a water ride that gets wetter in the summer and I think it's the most soaked I've ever gotten at a theme park.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Shibawanko posted:

Stringent posted:

What does samui mean?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Also DisneySea has a water ride that gets wetter in the summer and I think it's the most soaked I've ever gotten at a theme park.
Nah, that's just Japan's standard summer humidity.