Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Weren't a few Pentagon goons saying there were a bunch of mid to senior folks talking about punching out with Mattis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yes. Yes it is bad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Weren't a few Pentagon goons saying there were a bunch of mid to senior folks talking about punching out with Mattis?

When will these people learn that resigning in the face of TRUMP is the least effective thing to do?

Oh, right, it'll be when Hair Furor's demands for an immediate MAD strike against a Chinese hair color manufacturer sends the planet spiraling into the Sun.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yea a bunch of assistant secretaries / principal deputies / etc all punched out with mattis

nobody that would ever make the news even if they set their office on fire on the way out, but important cogs in the machine regardless

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Milo and POTUS posted:

They had ice cream on subs I'm prett sre

soft serve.

when the cranks were not lazy and would clean it and fill it instead of just bullshitting everyone saying 'oh its broke/ran out'

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

My dude one of the CS2s i knew would disagree with that wholeheartedly, he was the night baker and his sole job all night was to bake about 7 or 800 loaves of bread during his shift. It was garbage bread, but he did bake it.

(they didn't let it rise properly before baking it)

I've been going through my memories for the last couple of hours, and I remember some white bread when maybe we had a hamburger bar and some rolls, and those were almost always within a week of a port visit. Carbs we're almost exclusively rice and lovely noodles.

There is not a single instance that I can recall of the smell of fresh baked bread on the mess decks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

soft serve.

when the cranks were not lazy and would clean it and fill it instead of just bullshitting everyone saying 'oh its broke/ran out'

Auto dog is a mockery of tradition.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I've been going through my memories for the last couple of hours, and I remember some white bread when maybe we had a hamburger bar and some rolls, and those were almost always within a week of a port visit. Carbs we're almost exclusively rice and lovely noodles.

There is not a single instance that I can recall of the smell of fresh baked bread on the mess decks.

Thinking back to my hazy memories of big deck amphib days in early 10s, they did have a bakery space on the mess decks. Guess the carrier CSs were too busy running Starbucks or whatever other fancy stuff to bake such exotic things as bread or cookies.

Edit: MCs coming around to do a fluff piece about deployment :chiefsay: CS2, go do inventory on the reefer
https://twitter.com/flynavy/status/1081668026372546560

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 6, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

For sure my Navy memories are a little hazy as well, but I've got a pretty good memory in general and I trust it if it tells me that the relationship between Fresh Bread and Chow results in DIVIDE BY ZERO.

But an entire freezer full of those loving Uncrustables? Boy howdy we got enough of those to feed the crew eight times.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 6, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I used to advise everyone joining ships to gorge at breakfast until they figured out the cook because you can’t gently caress up breakfast.

Then we landed this French cook, and boy did he prove me wrong. How do you gently caress up scrambled eggs and bacon?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Thinking back to my hazy memories of big deck amphib days in early 10s, they did have a bakery space on the mess decks. Guess the carrier CSs were too busy running Starbucks or whatever other fancy stuff to bake such exotic things as bread or cookies.

Midrat cookies were the only good thing about having the midwatch on the CVN.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Turkey bacon.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

FrozenVent posted:

Then we landed this French cook, and boy did he prove me wrong. How do you gently caress up scrambled eggs and bacon?

This seems to be kind of general to a lot of Europeans. In that breakfast isn't eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.

I ordered an "American" breakfast in Rome once just to see how it was and god drat was it disappointing. Honestly breakfast in Europe in general just sucked rear end. Worst meal of the day by far.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Richard Bong posted:

I haven’t had any eve drama since I quit in like 2015. Fill me in please. That’s not powersSA is it?

Vilerat's mom is personally responsible for HellWorld 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XfYpOQaJy0

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 6, 2019

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

All I remember from chowhall on Iwo was the longer you were away from Port, the more every meal turned into soggy rice and greasy as poo poo chicken. Really made the berthing areas fragrant.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

This seems to be kind of general to a lot of Europeans. In that breakfast isn't eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.

I ordered an "American" breakfast in Rome once just to see how it was and god drat was it disappointing. Honestly breakfast in Europe in general just sucked rear end. Worst meal of the day by far.

German breakfasts own:

Not quite sure about Weißwurst? Pretzels and beer though. :thunk:

Raw pork for breakfast.

I've had a legit good American breakfast of pancakes and bacon in Munich though. Honestly American breakfasts while delicious make me fat as hell. I'd rather eat good bread/pastries/fruit/whatever than a pound of eggs and cheese, however the bread is hard to come by in the US. Not like Europe where you can just walk into any random corner bakery or grocery store and get something good.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DoktorLoken posted:

German breakfasts own:

Not quite sure about Weißwurst? Pretzels and beer though. :thunk:

Raw pork for breakfast.

I've had a legit good American breakfast of pancakes and bacon in Munich though. Honestly American breakfasts while delicious make me fat as hell. I'd rather eat good bread/pastries/fruit/whatever than a pound of eggs and cheese, however the bread is hard to come by in the US. Not like Europe where you can just walk into any random corner bakery or grocery store and get something good.

I loved German breakfasts. Donuts werent too sweet, pastries and meat was pretty good.

And yeah, good bread is really hard to come by. I know 1 good bakery in San Diego. Just one. Everything else has been an attempt.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

I haven’t had any eve drama since I quit in like 2015. Fill me in please. That’s not powersSA is it?

no its not powers SA. some holesquad idiot got kicked which prompted max powers to go on a full on meltdown in alliance chat until he too was kicked

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crakkerjakk posted:

All I remember from chowhall on Iwo was the longer you were away from Port, the more every meal turned into soggy rice and greasy as poo poo chicken. Really made the berthing areas fragrant.

Agreed.

On the CVN we had sort of a quick grab bar on both ends of the mess line and that was pretty much my go to because like hell I'm waiting 45 minutes on my off schedule to get calories. Life was a constant battle of free time v. Fuel.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

God.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mustang posted:

Why do you think they call it "Continental Breakfast"? You order coffee and whatever the local pastries/baked products are for breakfast in the non-Brexit parts of Yurp and it owns.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st21dIMaGMs

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress Key and Peele was a great show.

It wasn't 100% gold, but when it was on it nailed it down to the ground.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Vilerat's mom is personally responsible for HellWorld 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XfYpOQaJy0

I remember that... it’s hard to watch.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

no its not powers SA. some holesquad idiot got kicked which prompted max powers to go on a full on meltdown in alliance chat until he too was kicked

Ah, sounds about right. I miss the Old garnt led hole squad days like a year before dek fell, it was the best time I’ve had online gaming. It turns out without good space friends Eve is a horrifically unfun game.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

holesquad actually died as a result of this lol

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Food in Europe murders what the slop stores sell here

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 6, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soulex posted:

And yeah, good bread is really hard to come by. I know 1 good bakery in San Diego. Just one. Everything else has been an attempt.

There was a lady at the farmers market whose stand was called Oh La Vache, she sold French boule and baguette and it was really nice stuff, as I recall

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

Spamming alliance with " join wholesquad " for 36 hours hardly counts as a meltdown. Why the hell are we talking about eve in the current events thread? I guess I didnt get the point " hey you guys are bandwagoning on really boring lovely posts " through.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You could just save everyone the hassle of your nonsense and post a banme instead.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MaxPowers posted:

Spamming alliance with " join wholesquad " for 36 hours hardly counts as a meltdown. Why the hell are we talking about eve in the current events thread? I guess I didnt get the point " hey you guys are bandwagoning on really boring lovely posts " through.

Doing anything for 36 hours straight counts as a meltdown as far as I care.

I had an Algerian cook once who smoked like a chimney but made amazing desserts. We got millefeuilles once, poo poo was dope. Now that I realize, smoking seems to correlate with being a half decent ship’s cook.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

Godholio posted:

You could just save everyone the hassle of your nonsense and post a banme instead.

Dont tell me what to do dad!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mustang posted:

The Neapolitans didn't really eat breakfast. Maybe a cornetto or danish or whatever with their coffee, maybe. One guy told me he thought eating eggs first thing in the morning was disgusting.

On that German breakie, I like the pretzel and weisswurst just fine, but I'm not a big fan of that sweet mustard

When I was stationed in europe, I took a bunch of trips to the UK and Ireland and ate a lot of breakfast. Baked beans at breakfast sounds silly at first but it actually owns

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
When I eat museli for breakfast I start to look for cheese and booze for lunch.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

I'm sorry but those sausages(?) look like exsanguinated penises with pinworm sprinkled on top and whatever the thing is on the left looks like someone took a very loose poo poo on the plate. The pretzel looks great though.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol

https://twitter.com/SteveScalise/status/1081790962702188545?s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s just locker room talk bud

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1081811902387363840?s=21

:lol: KTN is the greatest gimmick twitter.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Now that political reporters actually have to listen to House Democrats (they were formerly irrelevant), it has been nice to see the nonstop "well that's nice, but president pussygrabber" comebacks to the decorum questions from the noisier House Dems. The House Minority leader tried to pull the decorum horseshit and a reporter outright asked him "well, the President called a woman horseface" and he ran off pretty quickly.

That's my rant so here's a gift.

https://twitter.com/AlsBoy/status/1081586981711347714

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DownByTheWooter posted:

There was a lady at the farmers market whose stand was called Oh La Vache, she sold French boule and baguette and it was really nice stuff, as I recall

Which one? OB?