Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

How'd you do this? Do the RoS Ushabti stay on the field if your last real unit has disintegrated?

Yeah, you nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why did they get rid of the ability to set up your army before quest battles? It's especially noticeable when you have a lot of vanguard units (or an all-vanguard army).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Why did they get rid of the ability to set up your army before quest battles? It's especially noticeable when you have a lot of vanguard units (or an all-vanguard army).

Counterpoint, watching your artillery destroy 50% of the enemy army during the cutscene as skaven.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

SirPhoebos posted:

Have there been any mods that add the Pirate Cove system to the Skaven?

IIRC people on the modding Discord said pirate coves seem to be hardcoded or something, so they're either extremely hard to get working for other factions or downright impossible to tinker with.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Uh, is it normal for "The College of Pyrotechnics" to spawn as a wandering army in the middle of the goddamn frozen north? Two Steam Tanks, Two gold chevron Helstorm Rocket Batteries, two silver chevron Grenade Launcher Outriders, plus the the rest of a 15/20 stack that I cant see the rest of just spawn between Sarl Encampment and Doomkeep while all my armies are all at least 5 turns away, so this seems really loving stupid. Game is unmodded.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Uh, is it normal for "The College of Pyrotechnics" to spawn as a wandering army in the middle of the goddamn frozen north? Two Steam Tanks, Two gold chevron Helstorm Rocket Batteries, two silver chevron Grenade Launcher Outriders, plus the the rest of a 15/20 stack that I cant see the rest of just spawn between Sarl Encampment and Doomkeep while all my armies are all at least 5 turns away, so this seems really loving stupid. Game is unmodded.

Just think of them as a crusade.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

They start at neutral and can be bribed. I think the College is one of the weaker ones because their build is very unbalanced.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHISHKABOB posted:

Just think of them as a crusade.
A crusade that materializes in the core of my empire without warning, reason, or justification? Sure. I'm not trying to be snarky to you, but poo poo like this is part of why I stopped playing prior Total War games. The devs think things like this are 'fun' and 'challenging' when all they are is an attention and fun tax.

Fangz posted:

They start at neutral and can be bribed. I think the College is one of the weaker ones because their build is very unbalanced.
They are raiding me and standing immediately adjacent to a town so yeah I'm not at war with 'em but I dont feel like they are exactly 'neutral'. What can I bribe them to do? I'll be able to smash 'em in a few turns, I'm just hoping they dont burn anything down till Wulfric gets there...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

A crusade that materializes in the core of my empire without warning, reason, or justification? Sure. I'm not trying to be snarky to you, but poo poo like this is part of why I stopped playing prior Total War games. The devs think things like this are 'fun' and 'challenging' when all they are is an attention and fun tax.

They are raiding me and standing immediately adjacent to a town so yeah I'm not at war with 'em but I dont feel like they are exactly 'neutral'. What can I bribe them to do? I'll be able to smash 'em in a few turns, I'm just hoping they dont burn anything down till Wulfric gets there...

I was being a little snarky too :v: I agree with you about that though, part of the reason I never played a lot of Shogun 2 was because the game always ended in "every other faction in the game declares war on you".

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I would pay for an enemy army out of nowhere in my dark elf Vortex campaign. Just about done enslaving all of Ulthuan and it's boooooring I am so far ahead of everyone. I would welcome a challenge, or even just a distraction. I could crush anyone I look at right now

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Rogue armies spawn randomly. I've had Vashnarr and his army (gold chevron Chosen, Chaos Knights, dragons, cold one knights, etc) spawn on the coast of Chrace during turn 20 of my Tyrion campaign.

Next turn Scourge of Khaine paid them to be at war with me. Rogue armies are just a random factor and can appear anywhere. Ulthuan is by far one of my least favorite zones in the game due to how annoying it is to traverse it while rogue armies just teleport into being inside the inner ring.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azran posted:

Rogue armies spawn randomly. I've had Vashnarr and his army (gold chevron Chosen, Chaos Knights, dragons, cold one knights, etc) spawn on the coast of Chrace during turn 20 of my Tyrion campaign.

Next turn Scourge of Khaine paid them to be at war with me. Rogue armies are just a random factor and can appear anywhere. Ulthuan is by far one of my least favorite zones in the game due to how annoying it is to traverse it while rogue armies just teleport into being inside the inner ring.
Its monumentally stupid that triple gold chevron steam tanks, helstorms, and Grenade Launcher cav spawn in the middle of secure territy and "its part of the game" is loving horseshit. I loaded a save I had from before they spawned because when I tried fighting them the autoresolve had their 15 unit army winning and killing two full stacks and a half stack with barely any casualties.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I dislike them just as much as you do, don't worry. Auto-resolve will heavily favor their compositions if they are elite/ranged-heavy, in scenarios like that you might easily win just fighting them. Two full stacks versus the College rogue army sounds like a slaughter in your favor.

NEVER let them take a settlement - their garrisons are insane (I think Vashnarr's is like 6 units of Chosen and a dragon, plus some other stuff) and their recruitment roster is full of stuff you don't want to face.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
College of pyrotechnics isn't even the worst one. Though I've heard of players managing to get military allies with them and then getting them to help out in a siege (which is probably hysterical when they roll up with 19 gold chevron rocket batteries).

Vashnaars conquest is by far the nastiest. They have the best units from both dark elves and chaos. One Empire campaign I ran had them pretty much carve out their own empire by completely wiping out Hotchland and Ostermark by themselves. I rarely saw a rogue army get more than 1 settlement but these assholes had like 9.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

There's a High Elf dragon-themed army too, which is all gold Dragon Princes, Star Dragons, Phoenixes, and Swordmasters. Ruined a Dwarf legendary campaign that was otherwise just finding its feet >:(

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wish I had rogue armies do things like this in my campaigns, usually they just stand where they spawn forever until I bother to send a army to put them out of their misery.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

I dislike them just as much as you do, don't worry. Auto-resolve will heavily favor their compositions if they are elite/ranged-heavy, in scenarios like that you might easily win just fighting them. Two full stacks versus the College rogue army sounds like a slaughter in your favor.

NEVER let them take a settlement - their garrisons are insane (I think Vashnarr's is like 6 units of Chosen and a dragon, plus some other stuff) and their recruitment roster is full of stuff you don't want to face.

My favourite one is the all-monsters army, because their garrisons don't have anything that can get up on walls. So you can just send everyone up onto the walls and plink them to death, with nothing beyond a few minotaur boulders coming your way.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Every rogue army encounter I've ever had was them going "Hey give us some money and we'll join your war" so yeah I throw them the cheap amount they want, and then they kill themselves off weakening my enemy for me. Once they actually managed to get some territory and start building but then were swiftly crushed afterwards. What a shame.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I wish I had rogue armies do things like this in my campaigns, usually they just stand where they spawn forever until I bother to send a army to put them out of their misery.

Same for me, but I play on normal.

I've created a thematic TK Chariot army as one of kings you unlock through research. Had 1,5 stack of Vampirate stuff sally to break siege, balance in their favour, so I've tried all out Chariot charge. Those things are absolutely devastating against light infantry. I'd off them all if they didn't have 2 Prometheans and some other monsters. 6 of chariots ended up with average of 100 kills, probably caused additional 50 in crumbling. Still far from my fav TK unit, it's easily Ushabti bows.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Uhm, when I played Sartosa I just recruited all I could (only one walking exploding thing though) in the water and then went up and sieged the city turn 1. Then I built siege towers for two turns while moving the hero up there. They will not recruit another army in the minor settlement because it has no recruitment buildings. The actual fight is pretty hard on very hard, but I am terrible at this game and I did it fine, so it should be ok for most people.

Edit: I remember now that they sallied out on turn one but I beat that.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 6, 2019

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I'm struggling to find my feet in a Harkon or Aranessa vortex campaign, even down on Hard. My deckhands and gunnery mobs always seem to be fighting uphill against any non-chaff stacks, and I'm getting pretty much constant pyrrhic victories against any meaningful stack or walled garrison (though it may be that I'm catastrophically mismanaging the gunnery mobs in combat). Until I get enough buildings together for some t3 units, my full stacks match up poorly against the aquatic rogue armies, so I can't even go pirate around and get coves until I've done some good inland campaigning, and my stacks are on pretty stable anti-rebellion duty until the vampiric corruption kicks in. As a result, I'll often get declared on by a couple people and picked apart as I'm finishing off my starting enemy.

Should I be playing more conservatively and staying on one province/one stack until I have more respectable units available? Should I just be playing Noctilus and stunting on people with my starting elites?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Doopliss posted:

I'm struggling to find my feet in a Harkon or Aranessa vortex campaign, even down on Hard. My deckhands and gunnery mobs always seem to be fighting uphill against any non-chaff stacks, and I'm getting pretty much constant pyrrhic victories against any meaningful stack or walled garrison (though it may be that I'm catastrophically mismanaging the gunnery mobs in combat). Until I get enough buildings together for some t3 units, my full stacks match up poorly against the aquatic rogue armies, so I can't even go pirate around and get coves until I've done some good inland campaigning, and my stacks are on pretty stable anti-rebellion duty until the vampiric corruption kicks in. As a result, I'll often get declared on by a couple people and picked apart as I'm finishing off my starting enemy.

Should I be playing more conservatively and staying on one province/one stack until I have more respectable units available? Should I just be playing Noctilus and stunting on people with my starting elites?

I finally got my Aranessa campaign off the ground, even with some major fuckups, and I quickly discovered the deck gunners were basically just longer ranger lower count handgunners, which aren't as good as they could be comparatively because of their low model number, and really can't fill the role of artillery. so the first thing I did was beeline a second general and six mortars, three for each army, and used those to sack both Tilean cities again and then went pirate hunting. Using the money from fleets that had dubloons, I put pirate coves in altdorf/marienburg/lothern/all the other major rich cities and now I'm doing pretty good at turn 50 with four decent armies.

I've also discovered that rotting prometheans are extremely good for preventing your armies from getting shredded by stuff with guns or anti-infantry, they hold the line really well. I didn't even try to start conquering inland until turn 45 or so when I stole Magritta from Harkon and then forced him to confederate (I'm using a mod that allows vampirate confederations). Now I'm trying to finish off the dubloons before I go up the coast to Brettonia.

its an exceptionally hard start imo and requires some cheesing like people have suggested. Noctilus is much easier but its easy to be lazy and end up with very few leveled generals, but the +5 to lord recruit rank tech helps that a lot

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Huh. After playing Empire, I sort of assumed that mortars were throwaway units. Thanks!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Doopliss posted:

Huh. After playing Empire, I sort of assumed that mortars were throwaway units. Thanks!

When every other unit is expendable, unbreakable bags of HP, mortars are very good. A single group of deckhands can hold 2-3 infantry blobs in place, allowing your mortars to demolish them quickly. Chevrons are very good for artillery as well, greatly increasing their accuracy. You might only completely demolish 1-2 groups before the lines meet, but after that they're so accurate they will kill 30+ in a single volley.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I want to start a new WH2TW campaign. I've mostly played Pointy Ears (2 High Elf campaigns, 1 Dark Elf campaign, 1 Wood Elf Campaign and 1 Empire Campaign) in both WHTW1 and WHTW2 so far, and have mostly been playing infantry heavy armies with a solid front line, really nasty bows and some strong cav/monsters - so I want something different. Any faction in particular would be interesting/any leader in particular?

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

Vampire pirates are fun. Their front line is mostly (until you get crabs/depth guards) just chaff that only exist to bog down the enemy so that your gun toting zombies and mortars can destroy them. If you haven't run a gunpowder based army comp before it's refreshing. If you play the Vortex campaign you don't have to conquer a lot of land to win (and if you play as Noctilus you only really need your starting settlement), which is also a nice change of pace if you're tired of map painting.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Doopliss posted:

As Bsea I’ve found basically a gunnery wight and a battery of artillery are your real army, everything else is there to keep them away from Big Bess and Mortars. I only use one carronade when pirate hunting, as an anti large sniper, because mortars are excellent

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Picked all this up during the Winter Sale. It's probably one of the best Total War games I've played.

Originally bought it for Lizardmen, but I've been having an unreasonable amount of fun with Norsca. Currently in a Mortal Empires campaign where Clan Moulder NAPed me very early, then wanted trade and military treaties and has just been following behind my armies and occupying all the razed ruins I'm leaving behind. They've gotten loving enormous, it's insane.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rhjamiz posted:

Picked all this up during the Winter Sale. It's probably one of the best Total War games I've played.

Originally bought it for Lizardmen, but I've been having an unreasonable amount of fun with Norsca. Currently in a Mortal Empires campaign where Clan Moulder NAPed me very early, then wanted trade and military treaties and has just been following behind my armies and occupying all the razed ruins I'm leaving behind. They've gotten loving enormous, it's insane.
Norsca is hella fun and instead of allying the Dwarves up here I need to try allying the Hell Pit rats instead...

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Is there a way via a console or save-file editing to fix some of the skills I took with my leaders? Namely Karl Franz - I didnt realize there was a level cap and now that I'm nearly there I realize I took a few skills I didnt need and would like to fix it if at all possible.

Yeah I felt like my Mortars didnt do poo poo even when I had three of them blasting one spot over and over so I am going to phase them out as I get the opportunity to rest and refit my armies.

Oh yeah, even one was a pain before so I'm going to be using more Pistoliers in my anti-Chaos armies.

Ignore pistoliers and get outriders with guns or a flying captain. Pistoliers will get mulched by marauder horsemen and can not contribute much to a fight against heavy armor units after taking out those cannons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm playing a co-op campaign with Avelorn and Lothern. I'm Avelorn and have already confederated Cothique and taken Chrace back from Norscans and Dark Elves, but my ally in Lothern is getting pressured by two factions of vampire pirates and I have Skaeling and Yvresse and a Delf faction at war with me. How do we take the pressure off?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Punch someone's teeth in and make it look like you're heading towards them. They'll sue for peace super fast and it'll create some space to do the same to the others if you need it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zudgemud posted:

Ignore pistoliers and get outriders with guns or a flying captain. Pistoliers will get mulched by marauder horsemen and can not contribute much to a fight against heavy armor units after taking out those cannons.
I found this out the hard way :v:
I ended up beating Chaos with numbers because I had been too slow to reconfigure my armies, at least until the very end. I ended up recruiting an extra lord and I passed all of my Free Company to him from 5 different armies, then replaced all of them with Halberdiers. The other guy went and started mass murdering Skaven with the army of Free Company. Eventually I also got some Demigryph Halberds and they made mincemeat of Chaos....for like one battle before I defeated Archaeon.

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm playing a co-op campaign with Avelorn and Lothern. I'm Avelorn and have already confederated Cothique and taken Chrace back from Norscans and Dark Elves, but my ally in Lothern is getting pressured by two factions of vampire pirates and I have Skaeling and Yvresse and a Delf faction at war with me. How do we take the pressure off?
WE ARENT KILLING ENOUGH

I dont have the link bookmarked and I'm not searching for it at work

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Surely I can't peace out the dark elves tho right?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Not Naggarond.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
thank god for that mspaint in the OP about using guns, it's my first time playing the game and I picked the Empire. I'm at turn 214 and just defeated The everchosen guy and his chaos hordes. I had to auto resolve it because I didn't know you could only have so many units on the field....so my reinforcements didn't come in like I expected and I got stomped.

oh and the dwarves have conquered most of the old world, is this normal? iv been allied with them the entire game

They annihilated the greenskins then helped me destroy the vampire counts. I watched some videos on the tomb kings but like....are they evil? Once I got really powerful suddenly they started contacting me asking for alliances so I agreed because it's not like i need the desert. the game said they "respect power".

edit: i haven't confederated anyone because everytime i tried everyone got really mad and I just reloaded from a previous save

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 7, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Venom Snake posted:

thank god for that mspaint in the OP about using guns, it's my first time playing the game and I picked the Empire. I'm at turn 214 and just defeated The everchosen guy and his chaos hordes. I had to auto resolve it because I didn't know you could only have so many units on the field....so my reinforcements didn't come in like I expected and I got stomped.

oh and the dwarves have conquered most of the old world, is this normal? iv been allied with them the entire game

They annihilated the greenskins then helped me destroy the vampire counts. I watched some videos on the tomb kings but like....are they evil? Once I got really powerful suddenly they started contacting me asking for alliances so I agreed because it's not like i need the desert. the game said they "respect power".

edit: i haven't confederated anyone because everytime i tried everyone got really mad and I just reloaded from a previous save
That....that Border Gore, my god, my eyes! I'll need to post my turn 150ish Empire when I get home because good god man.

What do you mean everyone got mad? Thats what happens for like 5 or 10 turns after you confederate someone. It is totally worth doing.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

the Tomb Kings are mostly just old and grumpy. there's only the one of them who's really balls-out evil.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tomb Kings aren't evil, they're just your old neighbours yelling "get off my lawn!" :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

That....that Border Gore, my god, my eyes! I'll need to post my turn 150ish Empire when I get home because good god man.

What do you mean everyone got mad? Thats what happens for like 5 or 10 turns after you confederate someone. It is totally worth doing.

My public order would go way down and until the past 50 turns or so order was kinda a problem for me because of vampire corruption then skaven corruption. My economy is doing really well so I don't feel as if Iv lost out on anything. That red spot in the bottom right is that fortress that belonged to "The Traitor Gits", I had to go all the way down there to find orks to get ghal maraz, didn't get it till like turn 190 or so because the dwarves wiped out all of the works.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the Tomb Kings are mostly just old and grumpy. there's only the one of them who's really balls-out evil.

That makes sense, it was just weird suddenly having something out of a brenden fraiser movie contact me asking to trade for stuff.

edit: the dwarves are now taking all the stuff the weird viking cultists had, which is fine because I couldn't live there